Ronald Koeman in talks with Saints over possible new five-year contract

Saint-Armstrong

He still wants to take on the Dutch national team too, but that wouldn't be sooner than 2018.

After winning the Dutch league with PSV in his first season there, in october in his 2nd season while being in 1st place with PSV he left them for Valencia. He has always said after that he regretted doing that, realised he shouldn't have moved away that easily from a good situation.

Interesting. So at best we have until 2018 - and possibly he could manage both. Personally I can see him replacing Wenger at Arsenal when he goes upstairs. He is a gentleman though no doubt about that.

My prediction a while ago was that he will sign a "new contract" this summer which will be a simple rolling contract with one year notice period. And then he'll probably go at the end of next season anyway.

Three years with the same manager is borderline unheard of these days, so that will be a result in itself.

He's not going to be here forever and him and we will move on pretty quickly.

I agree.

getting excited about the evil media and back page stories now will have to avoid football completely if we go into the season as his last and no new deal signed. On the back of any good run of results, he will get linked to everyone

As far as I see Koeman would probably be interested in a top job in England or Spain (no brainers). Otherwise probably the Dutch job. I doubt other leagues appeal.

Despite all the speculation would he be in line for any of those? Quite possibly not. Barcelona tend to like ex players as Managers and he is obviously well connected there but its still unlikely.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City (Pep) are all sorted. Would United or Chelsea go for Ron? Possibly, but would think they have some more dynamic and proven in Europe options.

In that sense, RK signing an arbitrary extension, whilst he waits for something like that to come up in the future, makes sense.

Everyone wants to be in the PL so he won't leave us unless he has one of those things lined up - why would he?

As far as I see Koeman would probably be interested in a top job in England or Spain (no brainers). Otherwise probably the Dutch job. I doubt other leagues appeal.

Despite all the speculation would he be in line for any of those? Quite possibly not. Barcelona tend to like ex players as Managers and he is obviously well connected there but its still unlikely.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City (Pep) are all sorted. Would United or Chelsea go for Ron? Possibly, but would think they have some more dynamic and proven in Europe options.

In that sense, RK signing an arbitrary extension, whilst he waits for something like that to come up in the future, makes sense.

Everyone wants to be in the PL so he won't leave us unless he has one of those things lined up - why would he?

Poch to Man U ....Ronald to spurs.........

My prediction a while ago was that he will sign a "new contract" this summer which will be a simple rolling contract with one year notice period.

How many Premier League managers have been on 1 year rolling contracts in recent history?

More than likely. Ferguson was on a one year rolling contract at Man Utd for years so its not unusual.

It is unusual if you can't name many more than one manager in recent history who has managed a Premier League club on a rolling contract.

Ferguson also is slightly different as he was a club legend and was 64 years old when he started using a 1 year rolling contract.

At the time they were unsure when exactly he'd retire, okay he carried on into his 70's, but it is a very different situation to Koeman.

How many Premier League managers have been on 1 year rolling contracts in recent history?

It is unusual if you can't name many more than one manager in recent history who has managed a Premier League club on a rolling contract.

Ferguson also is slightly different as he was a club legend and was 64 years old when he started using a 1 year rolling contract.

At the time they were unsure when exactly he'd retire, okay he carried on into his 70's, but it is a very different situation to Koeman.

I'm not privy to all of the premier league manager's contracts so who knows as I very much doubt you are either. For the record though, Ferguson was on a 1 year rolling contract for the last 15 years he was manager of Man Utd so he was actually 56, only 4 years older than RK is now.

Poch to Man U ....Ronald to spurs.........

Poch will stay at Spurs for at least another couple of years. They will be in the CL next season most likely.

If he was offered the Man Utd job I very much doubt he'd care Spurs were in the Champions League and Man Utd weren't next season. The difference in budgets and wages between the two jobs would be huge.

If he was offered the Man Utd job I very much doubt he'd care Spurs were in the Champions League and Man Utd weren't next season. The difference in budgets and wages between the two jobs would be huge.

I genuinely don't think he would leave Spurs at the moment.

He also wouldn't get the same freedom to do what he does best at United.

He will be the Spurs Manager next season I am sure.

Agree but would be hilarious if he did jump ship.

Steve Bruce was on one when he took Hull to Wembley, Sean Dyche was on one in the Prem last season, Pulis was on one at Stoke, Hodgson was on one at Fulham, Martin O'Neill was on one at Villa, Solskjaer was on one with Cardiff in the Premier League, West Brom did it with Irvine and Di Matteo, our own Gordon Strachan signed one at Celtic. Our beloved Luggy signed a two year deal which became a rolling contract in year two. Bobby Robson was on one at Newcastle.

In recent weeks Jimmy Floyd signed one at QPR, and Rowett has just done so at Birmingham (probably for similar reasons Keoman might do the same with us).

But yeah, thanks for correcting me.

Edited by CB Fry

Fairly sure Strachan also had one at Saints, I seem to recall Lowe refusing to give him a longer deal after the successes of 2003 was what caused him to decide to go (before Lowe forced his hand due to exactly the kind of lame duck concerns that raised this point to begin with).

Exactly, I'm sure of that. Plus, there is no doubt Levy will have him under some long contract, he won't leave as easily as he did with us.

length of contract doesn't really mean **** all when it comes to managers , it's the terms and length of any severance that's the key . Pardew had an 8 year contract with Newcastle but if it was written in that they could sack him and pay him up a years money , he is ineffective on a rolling 1 year contract . I also very much doubt Palace had to pay Newcastle anymore than if he was on a one year rolling contract .

I think a one year rolling contract with a low severance deal for both sides would be a pretty good comprimise really . Ron seems to attract players because of who he is and going into his last year creates a little bit of uncertainty. Would VvD have signed if he thought Ron was off this summer?

length of contract doesn't really mean **** all when it comes to managers , it's the terms and length of any severance that's the key . Pardew had an 8 year contract with Newcastle but if it was written in that they could sack him and pay him up a years money , he is ineffective on a rolling 1 year contract . I also very much doubt Palace had to pay Newcastle anymore than if he was on a one year rolling contract .

I think a one year rolling contract with a low severance deal for both sides would be a pretty good comprimise really . Ron seems to attract players because of who he is and going into his last year creates a little bit of uncertainty. Would VvD have signed if he thought Ron was off this summer?

Do players sign for clubs or for managers? Given the frequency that managers leave clubs there is a good chance that your contract will run longer than the manager will be at the club.

Exactly, I'm sure of that. Plus, there is no doubt Levy will have him under some long contract, he won't leave as easily as he did with us.

Not that easily with the alleged £2m exit clause in it. As someone has posted, I'm fairly certain WGS was on 12 month rolling contracts under Lowe and they have become more frequent with managers become head coaches and the concept that they are a (high profile) head of one department but there are many other heads of department in medium and large sized football clubs. True to an extent but I think it still underplays their public and media profile.

As for players joining because of a certain manager, that may be true to start with but they must know they are likely to be playing under multiple managers if they stay for the maximum of say a 4 or 5 year contract? Not that many top flight players stay that long now either. A player is more likely to get managerial stability at Saints I would argue than most top flight clubs, with the exception perhaps of Howe at Bournemouth. I think Klopp may be at Liverpool a few years but merry go round for the rest. Watford had 3 or 4 different managers last season and still went up automatically.

He would imo. He'd wait until the end of the season I think.

We said he wouldn't get the freedom at Spurs as he did at Saints. It was a rocky start and I remember the tweets of #PochOut for a short time. It would be a different beast at United but if they gave him a year grace he'd turn them around and the fans would love the style of football.

Only problem is Spurs would obviously come in for Koeman.