23/24/25 April - Other Fixtures

Lighthouse

That game reminded me of us under Pochettino, dominate for an hour, miss a load of chances to kill the game off against defensive opposition, run out of ideas, concede a sloppy goal and fail to win the game.

Looking forward to him telling Kane, Alli, Alderweireld and Lloris that they should all **** off now as they won't get a better opportunity...

or us under Koeman this season....

I bet you £100 that Spurs will win the title at odds of 50/1. You win, you win my £100, I win, you pay £5000. Simple! (just grab a Wonga loan - you'll easily be able to pay it back with the £100 you're certain to win from me).

Obviously only a fool thinks this isn't over so why don't you help yourself to some free money old boy?

:lol: Not this nonsense again. How much did you cash your Saints Relegated 200/1 bet out for in the end?

I cannot see how Alli can get away with that punch. He clearly goes for the WBA player with a clenched fist, off the ball (and whacks him)

oh, and leicester have all but won the league. Fantastic for them

remember when it was cool to think saints fans were 'fuking deluded mongaloids' who thought we could finish in the champions league etc

Edited by Batman

I am particularly enjoying listening to Spurs fans on phone-ins saying they aren't too down and they never expected to win the league but they are so optimistic about their massive bright future and the wonderful team they are building.

Typical Spurs fan unfounded arrogant nonsense.

Some points:

i) they've only currently got 5 more points than they got last season;

ii) they haven't suddenly become a really top team - they've just floated up the table a bit due to this being the lowest quality season in living memory;

iii) their manager is unlikely to stick around for long;

iv) when United, Chelsea and City get their act together they will be back to desperately trying to grab Arsenal's coat tails to have a crack at fourth;

v) they will basically be back to battling it out with Liverpool for Europa spots - like most seasons.

Still, here's to Spurs' bright future. They will probably finish above Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, City, Liverpool.....

and they've got done by Leicester. Bloody Leicester!! :lol:

I cannot see how Alli can get away with that punch. He clearly goes for the WBA player with a clenched fist, off the ball (and whacks him)

remember when it was cool to think saints fans were 'fuking deluded mongaloids' who thought we could finish in the champions league etc

yeah that's been put to bed now were finishing errr............ 8th without European football.

Now Leicester have won the league that's it the big boys monopoly is no more we will probably see Pulis guide WBA to the title next season, while Chelsea are relegated and Bournemouth grab 4th.....

If you're a half decent premier league team, you're making a 5 year plan or whatever, and you've seen Leicester win the league, why the hell wouldn't you aim to win it yourself?

They wouldn't but I think it will take more than Leicester winning the league once to make out the PL is now a big open competition anyone can win. Blackburn did it once in the early days of PL since then it's been a closed shop. It's not that a team, including saints, outside the big 6 can't occasionally crash the party (though more likely nicking a CL spot than winning the league) it's just it's going to be an infrequent occurrence not a seasonal thing. Leicester hit the perfect storm this season, the big boys took their eye of the ball and got complacent, and fair play to them. But I think people are kidding themselves if don't think the big 6 will pull out all the stops this summer to re-establish the status quo. Leicester aren't suddenly part of the football elite even being in the champions league one season doesn't make them a CL level club. Until this season repeats itself several times in quick succession you won't convince me this is anything but a flash in the pan.

If you're a half decent premier league team, you're making a 5 year plan or whatever, and you've seen Leicester win the league, why the hell wouldn't you aim to win it yourself?

Because Leicester didn't "aim to win the league".

Or, if they did, (which they didn't) then we can interpret aiming to win the league as signing free transfer full-backs, Stoke City third choice centre backs and not spending any more than £8m on anyone.

Or, to put it another way, Saints have "aimed to win the league" every season since we got promoted.

Alli charged with violent conduct and will probably miss the last three matches of the season.

In away Leicester's success is an inditement of the current status quo/rules. Only a team that was really bad the previous season, being able to gate crash the elite. Anybody else like Southampton, would have been stripped of their talent.

Remember when we wished we were Everton/Stoke/Watford? They had Ambition by the bucket load, something we never had. They didn't sell their best players every summer. They kept on progressing. Oh how I wish we were like them. Why oh why can't we be like them?

Remember when we wished we were Everton/Stoke/Watford? They had Ambition by the bucket load, something we never had. They didn't sell their best players every summer. They kept on progressing. Oh how I wish we were like them. Why oh why can't we be like them?

two of which just been to wembley:?

yeah a semi which they both lost

it is all about the moments in football

finish 8th or 11th with a serious shout (day out at Wembley) in the cup semi-final?

or like Palace, finish 13th with a cup final shot?

;)

Edited by Batman

In away Leicester's success is an inditement of the current status quo/rules. Only a team that was really bad the previous season, being able to gate crash the elite. Anybody else like Southampton, would have been stripped of their talent.

Interesting point. Let's see how Leicester fare in the Summer window. I think they'll hold on to their stars actually.

finish 8th or 11th with a serious shout (day out at Wembley) in the cup semi-final?

;)

For our 2003 final you were moaning at how easy our route was. Saints can't win with you.

;)

I don't recall us wishing we were palace so your point here is Irelevant. If you'd spent th first half the season wishing we were them after they showed ambition that we lack when they signed Connor Wickham you might have a case Brett. Bet yes, 13th and a cup final, brilliant. Everton, 11th and losing semi finalists not so much, especially given they they're a team you wish we were. Come on Brett show some ambition, is that the best you dream of for us!

Interesting point. Let's see how Leicester fare in the Summer window. I think they'll hold on to their stars actually.

Whether they do or not isn't really relevant to the point SW5 was making, which was a very good one.

:lol: Not this nonsense again. How much did you cash your Saints Relegated 200/1 bet out for in the end?

I'll leave that to your imagination given that the odds were rapidly scythed down from 200/1 to 25/1, as I correctly predicted they would be.

Anyway, it isn't really about me, it just miffs me when people outright lie that they think something (that's obviously very likely) is a certainty. The fact that they don't effortlessly help themselves to what they claim to believe is free money is proof positive that they're lying.

Funnily enough on a different forum I frequent two people unrelated to me have had the same argument regarding Donald Trump becoming President: one insisting that there's an absolute zero chance of it happening and the other pressing him on why he won't bet a penny against it happening.

Anyway.

Re. Leicester winning the league it'll almost certainly be a flash in the pan for the reasons discussed.

Because Leicester didn't "aim to win the league".

Or, if they did, (which they didn't) then we can interpret aiming to win the league as signing free transfer full-backs, Stoke City third choice centre backs and not spending any more than £8m on anyone.

Or, to put it another way, Saints have "aimed to win the league" every season since we got promoted.

You would hope every team of highly paid professionals does their utmost to win every match they take part in. By definition then every team does aim to win whatever league they may be in.

You would hope every team of highly paid professionals does their utmost to win every match they take part in. By definition then every team does aim to win whatever league they may be in.

So nothing to learn at all from what any club does then because everyone is trying to win the league.

So that's alright then.