Who Replaces Wanyama?

Andy Durman

Both Harrison Reed and Romeu should get runs in the 1st team.

I imagine from Les's point of view he's thinking - what if we drop out of EL, FA & League Cup and then have a huge squad who won't be getting played and deprecating on the doorstep.

However we do have a large number of games with the Europa League, FA & LC - so a fattened squad would be useful. That Atletico DM makes the most sense, since it would be loan with option for Tottenham to buy - not much risk on our end.

I would think it would be very very unlikely MS will come back here, Everton , Wet Sham or Poch @ Spurs will pay him 100k+ a week

Maybe we will too? Long time ago, but Kev Davies came back. I agree with you though that its unlikely he will come back. I suspect he will stay to try and force his way back into the first 11. I suspect Jose might rate him despite the links to Matic.

Back to the original question. It's tricky. Romeu was decent and to a lesser extent Classie too, but we looked a lot strong with Wanyama in the side, which means if they are his replacement then we have downgraded central midfield. In terms of numbers Reed fills that void, but is he good enough to dictate a game, lots of games, every game next season? Because that's what Morgan and Vic used to do. You can still win games without that control, but maybe the days of us dominating possession are over. Maybe not.

Maybe we will too? Long time ago, but Kev Davies came back. I agree with you though that its unlikely he will come back. I suspect he will stay to try and force his way back into the first 11. I suspect Jose might rate him despite the links to Matic.

Back to the original question. It's tricky. Romeu was decent and to a lesser extent Classie too, but we looked a lot strong with Wanyama in the side, which means if they are his replacement then we have downgraded central midfield. In terms of numbers Reed fills that void, but is he good enough to dictate a game, lots of games, every game next season? Because that's what Morgan and Vic used to do. You can still win games without that control, but maybe the days of us dominating possession are over. Maybe not.

I'm sure I read a stat the other day that said we'd won more points without Wanyama in the side.

I wonder what Eric Black thought about Gueye. By all accounts, he seemed one of the few Villa players to get any credit from last season.

Quite a few villa fans were saying if they had a gun with 10 bullets - he would be the one to survive.

I think Romeu deserves the chance to play regularly. He is tenacious, has a better range of passing than Wanyama, is more of a goal threat than Wanyama was and importantly (for me) he seems that he wants to be here and give his best.

Hs is a good player. Unfortunately his one main downside (lack of mobility) is the same as a couple of our other midfielders.

Good signing at the price we paid and after his first few games he used his aggression much better and was booked less.

From Reed's comments its clear that Højbjerg and the other options we have are seen as being sufficient to replace Wanyama.

So the answer to "who replaces Wanyama?" is the same as last season's "who replaces Schneiderlin?". No-one, really.

Seems remarkable that we've merrily gone from a powerhouse axis of Schneiderlin and Wanyama to a Chelsea reserve and a little Dutch boy who can't play for more than an hour.

Doesn't auger well for those of us hoping for Mane and Pelle to be replaced with quality...

Bet it gave you a tingle to write that eh? Proper Saints fan.

Still there are people waiting, dribbling and hoping they get a chance to vindicate their hate towards the club, board and how they can do everything much better. ''I was right all along''. I'm sure the thought of them being proven right from 2 years ago gives some of these a boner.

Still there are people waiting, dribbling and hoping they get a chance to vindicate their hate towards the club, board and how they can do everything much better. ''I was right all along''. I'm sure the thought of them being proven right from 2 years ago gives some of these a boner.

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how long a period of time people are prepared to write off as being entirely down to luck.

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how long a period of time people are prepared to write off as being entirely down to luck.

I'm looking forward to hearing of your appointment to the board as SFC is suddenly made aware of your tactical and strategic genius and your constant up-speaking of the club.

Ah, not likely though, really.

Twunt

I'm looking forward to hearing of your appointment to the board as SFC is suddenly made aware of your tactical and strategic genius and your constant up-speaking of the club.

Twunt

I think you either quoted the wrong person, or totally missed his point.

Twunt

Er, right.