• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Mine's Polish ;)

My mate is married to a Polish girl, she's hilarious, really good fun, he is the nicest softest bloke you'll ever meet and she tells us straight that she's had to knock the yes man out of him :lol:

Despite being a far right Tommy Robinson supporting Katie Hopkins fan boi i'd go foreign next time. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Would those same people have the knowledge, experience and contacts to work as effectively on say the French or German stock exchanges?  

FFS Weston give it a rest.

I appreciate that you are an expert on every subject known to man that is ever likely to appear on a mong board but I am sure that Deutsche Bank directors know better than you on how to run their business. Are you just miffed that they didn't ask you what to do with £400m? Or did they and then went against your advice?

• Like 3

Just now, Tamesaint said:

FFS Weston give it a rest.

I appreciate that you are an expert on every subject known to man that is ever likely to appear on a mong board but I am sure that Deutsche Bank directors know better than you on how to run their business. Are you just miffed that they didn't ask you what to do with £400m? Or did they and then went against your advice?

They bought a brokerage firm in London.  Excellent choice.  They've made a very bold decision to invest in the UK post Brexit.  One could argue that this is one of the fabled Brexit benefits.

As you appear not to have been able to keep up, I'm arguing that they haven't spunked £400m+ on a LONDON brokerage firm that Whitey has claimed that they might relocate to France or Germany, as the skills and experience they have invested in will predominantly be gained on the LSE.

It's great that Germany is investing in the UK as I'm sure you will agree with the Directors of Deutsche bank.

Never be afraid to speak up if the topic gets too complicated for you ;) 

56 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

They bought a brokerage firm in London.  Excellent choice.  They've made a very bold decision to invest in the UK post Brexit.  One could argue that this is one of the fabled Brexit benefits.

As you appear not to have been able to keep up, I'm arguing that they haven't spunked £400m+ on a LONDON brokerage firm that Whitey has claimed that they might relocate to France or Germany, as the skills and experience they have invested in will predominantly be gained on the LSE.

It's great that Germany is investing in the UK as I'm sure you will agree with the Directors of Deutsche bank.

Never be afraid to speak up if the topic gets too complicated for you ;) 

How very parochial.

On 30/04/2023 at 07:29, Weston Super Saint said:

They've made a very bold decision to invest in the UK post Brexit.

Hmmmm, “bold decision “ you say. Almost like in your subconscious you admit it’s risky in the post Brexit clusterfuck. Keep grasping dinosaur.

Just now, badgerx16 said:

What everybody missed about the Deutsche Bank news was the irony that they would invest in the UK at all, given the OP's strongly voiced judgement on their financial future at the start of the thread.

I'm not sure they really listened to his views to be fair....

5 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Hmmmm, “bold decision “ you say. Almost like in your subconscious you admit it’s risky in the post Brexit clusterfuck. Keep grasping dinosaur.

Absolutely. Massive risk for them given that we've been told over and over that the finance markets are moving to France and / or Germany.

It's almost as if they don't believe that news.  More fool them when it all goes tits up, eh?

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Absolutely. Massive risk for them given that we've been told over and over that the finance markets are moving to France and / or Germany.

It's almost as if they don't believe that news.  More fool them when it all goes tits up, eh?

I wonder if it is more hedging their bets. Even if London loses ground to European exchanges and markets  it will still turnover huge amounts of money  and this move would isolate them from regulations limiting external involvement.

But that might be a bit too nuanced for some commenting on here.

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I wonder if it is more hedging their bets. Even if London loses ground to European exchanges and markets  it will still turnover huge amounts of money  and this move would isolate them from regulations limiting external involvement.

But that might be a bit too nuanced for some commenting on here.

It's because the marketsd are diverging and most companies are setting up separate offices. Whereas London used to be the main hub for all of the EU increasingly companies are relocating staff to a new main base in the EU with a smaller satellite in London.   . 

• Like 1

On 27/06/2016 at 15:15, Guided Missile said:
buctootim said:
Says the man who doesnt know the difference between derivatives and debt and thinks Deutsche owes 50 times the GDP of Germany and will wipe out Europe.

I'm relying on the price of Deutsche Banks 5 year credit default swaps and the fact no one knew about Lehmans because bankers all whistle in the dark. A lot of the EU problems were hidden from us voters until the referendum was over. It'll all come out over the next few months. Italy, Spain and Portugal are in the ****, with Greece a basket case. I assume you know something that I don't that leads you to a different view? I doubt it...

Nothing has really changed my opinion on Deutsche Bank since the post above. The only thing that's preventing it going the same way as Credit Suisse, is the length that the German government has gone to support it. In late March of this year, Scholz was forced to defend the bank:

Olaf Scholz has been forced to defend the financial health of Deutsche Bank after renewed fears of contagion in Europe’s banking system sparked a sell-off in its shares.

The German Chancellor dismissed comparisons between the country’s largest lender and Credit Suisse, which had to be rescued by Swiss rival UBS at the start of the week. Mr Scholz said: “Deutsche Bank has fundamentally modernised and reorganised its business and is a very profitable bank. There is no reason to be concerned about it.” He added that “the capital adequacy of European banks is robust, thanks to the work over the past few years and also thanks to the efforts of the banks themselves”.

Attempts to provide reassurance came after shares in Deutsche fell by as much as 14pc on Friday, while its credit default swaps, used to insure against the risk of it not paying debts, jumped to a five-year high.

Coincidentally Deutsche Bank agrees to buy UK broker Numis for £410mn in a surprise deal. So much for the UK being unattractive to EU financial institutions. Typical distraction technique, in my opinion,  to move the focus away from Deutsche Bank's underlying problems. Banking analysts and the stock markets opinion on the deal? Read it and weep:

The deal “is a surprise to us that needs lots of explaining”, said JPMorgan analyst Kian Abouhossein. The “strategic rationale is not clear for a bank that has not yet bought back any shares in 2023, which would have been highly accretive at today’s price. It is not aligned with what shareholders want to see more of: retail-type stable earnings, more cost focus and capital return,” he added. Shares in Deutsche were down 1 per cent on Friday, extending their decline this year to 11 per cent. The bank trades at a valuation of 0.28 times the book value of its assets, among the most depressed of any bank in Europe.

24 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Nothing has really changed my opinion on Deutsche Bank since the post above. The only thing that's preventing it going the same way as Credit Suisse, is the length that the German government has gone to support it. In late March of this year, Scholz was forced to defend the bank:

Coincidentally Deutsche Bank agrees to buy UK broker Numis for £410mn in a surprise deal. So much for the UK being unattractive to EU financial institutions. Typical distraction technique, in my opinion,  to move the focus away from Deutsche Bank's underlying problems. Banking analysts and the stock markets opinion on the deal? Read it and weep:

Good old GM, 4 days behind the rest of the forum.

• Haha 1

Incompetent mongs that haven't got the first clue what they are doing or an actual Brexit benefit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65546319

The government will ditch its end-of-year deadline to review EU-era laws copied over after Brexit.

But minsters have now said that instead of the cut-off point, they will come up with a list of laws they want to replace by the end of 2023.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, whelk said:

As long as they keep us from straight bananas 

The rest of the Brexit dividends are incoming, man. Stop being impatient, it’s only been 7 years since we pushed the button and 3 years since it came in. Misguided Weapon and all his pals will be saying told you so soon. Really soon.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

A Brexit benefit!! Ukraine would have been overwhelmed by Russia if not for Brexit!! At least that is JRM's  view. 

Seems that he is getting desperate trying to justify Brexit.

And also confused - it's not his job to justify it anymore, he had his chance and blew it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65612295

Following on from Honda - one of the big Thatcher successes - ‘Brexit was the straw that broke the camel’s back’ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-57987601

No-one seems prepared to invest in a UK battery production plant at a time when it is desperately needed if car manufacturing is to survive at scale in the UK. I wonder why?

Tesla chose Germany for their European manufacturing base. Funnily enough, it's in the EU.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Danbert said:

No-one seems prepared to invest in a UK battery production plant at a time when it is desperately needed if car manufacturing is to survive at scale in the UK. I wonder why?

Tesla chose Germany for their European manufacturing base. Funnily enough, it's in the EU.

But but but all those fruit picking jobs are ours now

• Haha 4

Looking back at this thread it is remarkable how so few of the Leave advocates nowadays post here.  eg Wes Tender has disappeared off the face of the earth. Duckie occasionally makes an appearance but nothing like as frequent as before. Guided  Missile only appears when his nurses allow him near a computer.  

I wonder why.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Looking back at this thread it is remarkable how so few of the Leave advocates nowadays post here.  eg Wes Tender has disappeared off the face of the earth. Duckie occasionally makes an appearance but nothing like as frequent as before. Guided  Missile only appears when his nurses allow him near a computer.  

I wonder why.

As he has not visited the site since early January 2021, I wonder if Wes' absence is ( at best ) health related. Duckie, I suspect, holds the view that Brexit is "done" so needs no further discussion and concentrates on other subjects. 

I see no benefit in trying to understand the workings of the lunatic mind inhabiting GM's cranium.

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

As he has not visited the site since early January 2021, I wonder if Wes' absence is ( at best ) health related. 

Yep, this. I remarked on this a while ago, he stopped posted very abruptly and without any seeming announcement of leaving, he was quite prolific up to that point. As you say his account hasn’t been accessed for two years now so I sadly assume he passed away.