• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  The government would be damned if they did and damned if they didnt.....right?

I didn’t need hindsight to predict that Brexit would be a shitshow and that the buffoon Johnson would make an even bigger mess than it might have been. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So there’s Freedom of movement for EU citizens with regard to NI then? 

50 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

As it's in the Single Market it has the "4 Freedoms".

Goods, capital, services and people.

The NI agreement only covers goods, not the other 3 Freedoms of the SM, and only applies to goods originating in the 6 counties. However, the Common Travel Agreement between the UK and Ireland, which predates both countries' membership of the EU, is still in affect, so there is free movement for people across the border, provided UK citizens are not travelling forward to other EU member states, or EU citizens traveling to the UK via Ireland.

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So there’s Freedom of movement for EU citizens with regard to NI then? 

No. So it means that like the rest of us the people of Northern Ireland have restrictions on their ability  to travel and work in Europe.

A great shame if you are not a Little Englander. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The NI agreement only covers goods, not the other 3 Freedoms of the SM, and only applies to goods originating in the 6 counties. However, the Common Travel Agreement between the UK and Ireland, which predates both countries' membership of the EU, is still in affect, so there is free movement for people across the border, provided UK citizens are not travelling forward to other EU member states, or EU citizens traveling to the UK via Ireland.

But they can adopt Irish citizenship as well as British and an Irish passport gives them free movement.

On 28/02/2023 at 18:28, aintforever said:

So Northern Ireland is is the brilliant, unique situation of having access to the UK and EU Single market - the situation we were all in Pre-Brexit.

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

So aintclever was wrong then? 

The situation isn’t as it was pre Brexit? 

21 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

But they can adopt Irish citizenship as well as British and an Irish passport gives them free movement.

From the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs

"If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship."

Take my example. I was a service child. Dad was an electrical engineer in the Fleet Air Arm and stationed at HMS Gannet (RNAS Eglinton) when I was born. It was considered a home posting so my mum went with him. I think they were back in Hampshire less than six months later. My fleeting contact with the island of Ireland makes me an Irish citizen automatically and I do indeed hold both UK and Irish passports as will my daughter when her application goes through. As most of my travel this year will be to EU countries I know which one I'll be using more often than not.

• Like 5

UK doing what it does best:

More refugees have come to the UK since Brexit than at any time since the Second World War, according to a new report. Around 437,000 people, mainly from Ukraine and Hong Kong, have been granted protection by the Government on humanitarian grounds since the start of 2021 when the transition period ended.  The number, disclosed in research by the UK in a Changing Europe and the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, surpasses a previous surge in the immediate aftermath of the war when as many as 250,000 Poles arrived in Britain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You and me and all the other British taxayers. None of this net immigration is bringing any capital with them into the country.

But we can spend multi- millions trying to send a couple of hundred to Rwanda.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this finally the end?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65064378

Shares in Germany's Deutsche Bank fell by 14% at one point on Friday, with other lenders also seeing big losses.

Investors have already been spooked by the collapse of two US banks and the rushed takeover of Swiss giant Credit Suisse by its rival UBS.

More good news:

Britain is expected to be welcomed into what will become a 12-nation trading group this week in a major post-Brexit win. Ministers will hold meetings this week with counterparts in various Indo-Pacific nations, Downing Street has said, as Britain nears joining the region's leading trade pact. Representatives from Britain will conduct negotiations about joining the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), the Prime Minister's spokesman said.The trade pact involves Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam. The 11 members of the CPTPP are expected to soon reach broad agreement with Britain on it joining the pact, according to Reuters.

N.B. CPTPP member countries have a combined population of 500 million and GDP of £9 trillion. DIT projections suggest UK exports to CPTPP will increase to 65% by 2030, equating to a rise of £37 billion, and demand for UK imports is expected to rise by two thirds by 2030, to just under £4.5 trillion. As a result, accession to CPTPP could lead to an increase of £1.8 billion in UK GDP long term, and if the bloc continues to expand, it could cover over 19% of global GDP.

I didn't expect that my three word post "More good news" preceding the quotations from the latest press release regarding the CPTPP membership story would generate such an erudite response from our intrepid posters. Luckily I don't read the trolls on ignore but can only imagine their posts from the one's I don't ignore, (but soon will), to get the gist of their contribution to this thread. Apparently they confuse me with someone who gives a shit about their trolling.

For others who are willing to contribute, I would be interested in what they think about the potential of the CPTPP, particularly as China have applied to join this trading partnership. My opinion is that the US, having left the group, will now rethink the decision that Trump made and negotiate a new deal. It would be interesting to know whether Rishi discussed this in Washington when AUKUS was being set up. A pivot towards Australasia and away from the Middle East would suit Biden. With US in the group, the CPTPP would represent 40% of the global economy. Obviously this potential opportunity would not have been available within the EU and maybe the benefits of Brexit will be fully realised over the next decade.

Interesting times and with a Saints and Brexit supporter at the helm, we have the right man.  

Sounds like King Charles didn't get the Brexit memo, he's peddling some box of frogs nonesense about working with other countries in a constructive way that might improve our tarnished image around the world...

I don't pay my taxes to hear mad remoaner-snowflake-traitor-wokery shit, he needs to keep his opinions to himself and only talk about King stuff. 😡

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

I didn't expect that my three word post "More good news" preceding the quotations from the latest press release regarding the CPTPP membership story would generate such an erudite response from our intrepid posters. Luckily I don't read the trolls on ignore but can only imagine their posts from the one's I don't ignore, (but soon will), to get the gist of their contribution to this thread. Apparently they confuse me with someone who gives a shit about their trolling.

For others who are willing to contribute, I would be interested in what they think about the potential of the CPTPP, particularly as China have applied to join this trading partnership. My opinion is that the US, having left the group, will now rethink the decision that Trump made and negotiate a new deal. It would be interesting to know whether Rishi discussed this in Washington when AUKUS was being set up. A pivot towards Australasia and away from the Middle East would suit Biden. With US in the group, the CPTPP would represent 40% of the global economy. Obviously this potential opportunity would not have been available within the EU and maybe the benefits of Brexit will be fully realised over the next decade.

Interesting times and with a Saints and Brexit supporter at the helm, we have the right man.  

It is pointless giving a view on this subject.  You have so many people on ignore that you will not see any opinions which disagree with your mad batshit views. 

Your predictions are always so incorrect (Brexit prosperity, Deutsche Bank, EU break up etc etc)  I would pay more attention to my dog' s opinions than  take any notice of your mad, syphilitic ridden  posts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Trying to be serious, to my mind there are 2 issues with the CPTPP deal; firstly, and simply, the fact that the nearest member country is Canada, and the others are on the other side of the World. This is hardly going to help small and medium businesses trying to cope with the issues caused by Brexit and loss of access to markets 30 miles away.

Secondly, there seem to be significant differences in some areas between EU and CPTPP regulations, such as animal welfare and food hygiene, which could mean that complying with CPTPP rules, which are not as strict as EU rules, means we no longer have straight forward access to European markets.

But what do I know, I'm just a troll.

• Like 2

More pinko, lefty, remoaner, traitor trolling, this from the BBC reporting on the UK joining the CPTPP;

"The short-term gains are marginal.

The UK already had deals with the majority of these nations as part of its EU membership which have been carried over.

Since Brexit, the UK has added Australia and New Zealand to its trade deal tally.

It was just Brunei and Malaysia left that the UK didn't have a deal with and between them those two account for less than 0.5% of the total of UK trade.

Even with some changes to the trading arrangements with other countries, the gains from the expanded accord is expected to be fairly small - around 0.08% of GDP over 10 years, according to the government's best stab at an estimate.

By contrast, leaving the EU, the government's independent forecasters reckon, will cost the UK far more than that - perhaps 4% of our income.

In total, the CPTPP accounted for 8% of UK exports in 2019 - less than we sold to Germany"

( Please note that, unlike a certain poster, I attribute my sources ).

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Sounds like King Charles didn't get the Brexit memo, he's peddling some box of frogs nonesense about working with other countries in a constructive way that might improve our tarnished image around the world...

I don't pay my taxes to hear mad remoaner-snowflake-traitor-wokery shit, he needs to keep his opinions to himself and only talk about King stuff. 😡

You have to bear in mind the audience in Germany would be full of his relatives.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

Good news confirmed:

The UK has now formally joined the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) in a move which represents its biggest post-Brexit trade deal. 

We now have a say in whether the CPTPP lets China join the partnership. It also means we can never re-join the EU. A double win for our country and the majority that voted to leave the corrupt and moribund EU.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

“It is not about immediate trade figures: it is about the geopolitical dynamic in world trade over the next 20 or 30 years. It raises the UK’s status enormously in the global economy,” said Professor David Collins, an expert on world trade at City University.

0.08% boost to UK economy in next 10 years. And that’s the biggest trade deal post Brexit? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124741

Woo hoo, get the bunting out. Brussels must be quaking in their boots (not).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guided Missile said:

Good news confirmed:

We now have a say in whether the CPTPP lets China join the partnership. It also means we can never re-join the EU. A double win for our country and the majority that voted to leave the corrupt and moribund EU.

Joining the CPTPP does not prevent the UK rejoining the EU, but it does potentially make it a bit more difficult. And does taking a hopeful punt on how the World economy might look in 30 years time really balance out losing 4% of our GDP due to Brexit ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Guided Missile said:

Good news confirmed:

Good grief you’ve really swallowed the Kool Aid. You don’t even know what moribund means.

• Like 2

“This is a seismic event. The EU and the US fully understand the geo-economic significance of this, and are utterly shocked that it could have happened,” said Shanker Singham, a UK trade adviser and a fellow at the Institute of Economic Affairs.

“It is a wake-up call in Washington. It is now much more likely that we’ll see a US-UK bilateral trade deal, and there is going to be a chorus of calls for the US itself to join the CPTPP,” he said.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Good grief you’ve really swallowed the Kool Aid. You don’t even know what moribund means.

moribund:
(of a thing) in terminal decline; lacking vitality or vigour.
"the moribund commercial property market"

The EU’s neo-colonial ambitions have reached obvious limits. Its share of global GDP will drop to 14.6pc this year. It is losing roughly one percentage point every three years. Europe will remain a valuable market. Its regulatory apparatus will punch above its weight for a while yet.

Yet the EU is undergoing a slow, comfortable, economic relegation, trailing badly in the Sino-US technology arms race, and politically captured by corporate vested interests wedded to the status quo - a reflex on display over the last week as the German car industry won a (futile) reprieve for 20th century combustion engines. 

“The EU’s dream of being a global regulatory superpower was never what it was cracked up to be and from now on it is going into decline. I don’t think it is going to be exporting its rules or precautionary principle for much longer,” said Prof Collins.

"Swallowed the cool aid🤣

1 minute ago, Guided Missile said:

“This is a seismic event. The EU and the US fully understand the geo-economic significance of this, and are utterly shocked that it could have happened,” said Shanker Singham, a UK trade adviser and a fellow at the Institute of Economic Affairs.

“It is a wake-up call in Washington. It is now much more likely that we’ll see a US-UK bilateral trade deal, and there is going to be a chorus of calls for the US itself to join the CPTPP,” he said.

Why don't you just post a link to the Daily Telegraph every morning ? It would save you time, and at least give the people thinking up and writing this stuff the acknowledgement for their efforts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

"Swallowed the cool aid🤣

Can't even quote accurately - "kool aid".

Question for you, how do the CPTPP regulations on pesticides and environmental poisons compare to those of the EU ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

On 27/06/2016 at 16:10, Guided Missile said:

Banks are nothing like bookies or insurance companies. They 100% rely on confidence in the strength of their asset base. If that goes, they are screwed. Unlike bookies and insurance companies. they are unable to cover their positions, should everyone withdraw their deposits. Once a run starts, that is the end. Deutsche Bank are too big to be allowed to fail, but also too big to rescue. I am sure they are not the only EU financial institution screwed...

• Haha 1