• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

24 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Don't worry. I am sure that Duckie, Wes Tender (remember him?), Moisin, and Batman or the Guided Loony (aka  the  Poison Peddler) will be along any minute now to explain how the country has benefitted from Brexit

Or perhaps to say we’re a bunch of remoaning rear view mirror merchants who can’t accept the will of the people and move on to our bright new future.

“More than three-quarters of UK importers and exporters say the government’s “oven-ready” post-Brexit trade deal is not helping them increase sales or grow their business, according to a new report by the British Chambers of Commerce.

A survey by the leading business organisation also suggests 56 per cent of firms that trade with the EU face difficulties adapting to the new rules for trading goods.”

The British Chamber of Commerce are clearly just a tribe of guardian-reading pinkos with quotes like this.

PS Merry Christmas 

42 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Or perhaps to say we’re a bunch of remoaning rear view mirror merchants who can’t accept the will of the people and move on to our bright new future.

“More than three-quarters of UK importers and exporters say the government’s “oven-ready” post-Brexit trade deal is not helping them increase sales or grow their business, according to a new report by the British Chambers of Commerce.

A survey by the leading business organisation also suggests 56 per cent of firms that trade with the EU face difficulties adapting to the new rules for trading goods.”

The British Chamber of Commerce are clearly just a tribe of guardian-reading pinkos with quotes like this.

PS Merry Christmas 

Merry Christmas Left Back,  I think you're confused though.  This Brexit is the price worth paying version rather than the sunlit uplands and economic prosperity of previous Brexit lies.  That's what remoaners fail to realise, apparently.

Edited by revolution saint

9 hours ago, The Left Back said:

PS Merry Christmas 

It wasn’t the will of the people.

HTH

10 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Merry Christmas Left Back,  I think you're confused though.  This Brexit is the price worth paying version rather than the sunlit uplands and economic prosperity of previous Brexit lies.  That's what remoaners fail to realise, apparently.

I am disappointed that I have yet to see the village Bobby cycling around and saying good day. I thought we were voting to go back to Darling Buds of May times and turns out all we did is commit suicide on our economy.

• Like 4

On 28/12/2022 at 14:23, Danbert said:

Half a million EU workers went home, thanks to which, the pubs are shut:

"Half of UKH’s members are making adjustments such as these – to opening hours or capacity – as a result of labour shortages."spacer.png

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/28/pubs-struggle-to-retain-staff-after-brexit-and-covid-double-whammy

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

No sunlight on farmers uplands https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/dec/29/uk-farmers-impact-brexit-trade-deal-losing-common-agricultural-policy

Another sector had its pants pulled down by Putin, UK billionaires, Tory far right/UKIP/BNP

Not like The Guardian to spread a hatred of Brexit. 

On 27/06/2016 at 14:14, Guided Missile said:

Thank you for that, Private Frazer. I think you have no idea how a weak pound will enhance the value of UK stocks when the gamblers quit the scene and the long term value of UK plc is recognised. In the coming years the UK will be also recognised as the country that jumped into a lifeboat, not went down with the ship. 

Let's face it, it looks like I was right all along:

As tumbling global stock markets suffered their worst year since 2008 in a near 20pc plunge, London’s blue-chip index eked out a 0.9pc gain over 2022.
It made the FTSE 100 the only major market to deliver investors positive total returns when also including dividends. The index finished the year at 7,451.74 points with total returns of 4.6pc.
The FTSE 100 benefited from a falling pound, which boosts companies that earn money abroad and then turn it into British currency, as well as a strong performance by heavyweight energy and defence stocks including BP, Shell and BAE Systems.

Happy New Year to you all and keep posting!

1 hour ago, Guided Missile said:

Broken clock ? Or you throw enough shit out there and sooner or later you'll chance upon something with a grain of truth, purely by random chance.

And reading your quoted text, that performance is based on companies making money outside the UK, and those benefitting directly or indirectly from Russia's invasion of Ukraine - energy and defence.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Tangible benefits of Brexit? Floor is yours.

Few… as of 3 years. 

3 years of Covid, War, Global inflation and self inflicted inflation by Truss budget has masked over Brexit plans. Brexit did allow us to get the vaccine out quickly. The idea of Brexit does still have benefits in theory, it’s just the weak government hasn’t correctly negotiated for the practical side. I believe time should be given (about a decade) to truly see Brexit effects, which is why I was talking about the Brexit bashing by the guardian. For example deals such as with the illegal migrants with France was a disgrace and didn’t truly show the benefits of Brexit, neither did the one sided trade deal with Australia, or taking control of the channel fishing to maximum extent. We have managed to increase liability on ourselves, rightly or wrongly we should no longer be in the EU sphere of influence on laws and trade deals, which I think was an authoritarian burden on us. 

In short, I never said there was so many benefits as of yet. The benefits are extremely slim I agree - due to mismanagement of a host of bilateral deals and time must be given before remainers claim it was wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

Happy New Year to you all and keep posting!

FTSE 100 performed well in 2022 and major international companies like BP, Shell and BAE benefitted from the shot pound.

However the AIM market which consists mostly of small British companies was the world's  WORST performing major stock market index. The weak pound and Brexit have contributed to a calamitous performance amongst smaller British companies...as was predicted by so many maligned experts during the Brexit debate.

Never mind GM. It's not unusual for you to post bollocks which ends up disproving what you were trying to prove 

• Like 4

On 31/12/2022 at 14:15, badgerx16 said:

That one was shot down shortly after it first came out. There was nothing we did in the vaccine development and roll-out that we could not have done if still in the EU.

Not only that, but the time advantage we had due to our quick rollout was spent in a long lockdown, due to slow decision making by the govt at the time, so our status as the most advanced vaccination programme was wasted. By the time that summer lockdown ended, the EU had caught up and had similar vaccination rates...

Edited by ashnats
Typo
  • Like 4

Same old story at half empty Geneva airport this evening.  Empty line for Swiss and EU passports.  Backed up round the corner for 'other passports' 90% of which are Brits.  Why can't they have a third queue for 'other passports who didn't vote for this shit'?  

On the upside, another lovely stamp for my beautiful black passport.  The only surprise with the otherwise perfect document is that they haven't updated the crest to remove that  'honi soit qui mal y pense' and 'dieu et mon droit' foreign bollocks. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Same old story at half empty Geneva airport this evening.  Empty line for Swiss and EU passports.  Backed up round the corner for 'other passports' 90% of which are Brits.  Why can't they have a third queue for 'other passports who didn't vote for this shit'?  

On the upside, another lovely stamp for my beautiful black passport.  The only surprise with the otherwise perfect document is that they haven't updated the crest to remove that  'honi soit qui mal y pense' and 'dieu et mon droit' foreign bollocks. 

Norman French, innit. Much classier than that Saxon muck.

Following on from the OP, maybe the US trade deal, post Trump, won't happen with grandpa in the White House. Don't worry lads because, lo and behold, Southampton's own PM looks like he might be onto bigger and better trade deals outside the EU.

If all goes well, the UK will be a full member of this Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) within months, becoming the first European country to join the eclectic club of "middle powers". They have one shared objective: to make trade as easy as possible, subject to basic civilised standards.

Today’s members are Japan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, and Brunei. Britain will lift the fast-expanding group to 16pc of global GDP. 

The sunlight uplands are in sight!

s300_Tower_of_London.jpg

• Haha 1

More good news:

The Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill automatically "sunsets" up to 4,000 EU laws at the end of the next year, unless ministers say they want to keep them in place. The note from the whips' office says: "The Bill will sunset the majority of EU Retained Law so that it expires on 31 December 2023. All retained EU law falling within the definition of EU derived subordinated legislation and retained direct EU legislation will expire on this date unless otherwise preserved."

On 25/12/2022 at 23:33, The Left Back said:

PS Merry Christmas 

Personally it has destroyed my European sales. The paperwork and added costs make the shipping and export of items impractical. Whilst Iam in a niche market it all adds to the reduction in our exports from my industry. The major players in the auction market , world famous names are moving their operation to Paris. The art market generated millions to our economy and now is bleeding away 

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Personally it has destroyed my European sales. The paperwork and added costs make the shipping and export of items impractical. Whilst Iam in a niche market it all adds to the reduction in our exports from my industry. The major players in the auction market , world famous names are moving their operation to Paris. The art market generated millions to our economy and now is bleeding away 

Sorry to hear that. I suppose it's what happens when a populist cult grabs the reins of government.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Same for us. Why would anybody buy something technical from the UK when they can buy it from somewhere else in Europe without all the hassle?

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Sorry to hear that.  A tale I've sadly heard too many times.

Luckily for us we have Guided missile back with us, pointing out the many benefits of leaving the EU.  Apparently the 'sunlight uplands' are on their way, including. a 'massive trade deal' with Japan, the end of pesky EU laws, and 'if all goes well' 'within a few months', we can join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership even though we are not trans the pacific. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Following on from the OP, maybe the US trade deal, post Trump, won't happen with grandpa in the White House. Don't worry lads because, lo and behold, Southampton's own PM looks like he might be onto bigger and better trade deals outside the EU.

The sunlight uplands are in sight!

s300_Tower_of_London.jpg

41 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Saints fan meets Japanese PM to arrange massive trade deal above.

37 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

More good news:

No matter how you try to polish the Brexit turd it remains a bigger pile of shit than the one the Triceratops deposited in Jurassic Park.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

More good news:

What the revocation Bill does is give Ministers the ability to make arbitrary decisions on the retention or removal of legislation covering such areas as animal welfare, food standards  and workers rights, without the oversight of Parliament.

Hardly "good news".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

What the revocation Bill does is give Ministers the ability to make arbitrary decisions on the retention or removal of legislation covering such areas as animal welfare, food standards  and workers rights, without the oversight of Parliament.

Hardly "good news".

Especially with our current ministers.  Wouldn't trust them to mow the back garden without fucking it up.

• Like 1

Wipe the tears away, lads:

Sir Keir Starmer said there is no "political case" for the UK to join the European Union's single market in a rebuke to Sadiq Khan. Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the Labour leader insisted the UK "can’t go back into the EU" and that included any deal to join the bloc's economic community. 

25 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

"Sir Keir Starmer said there is no "political case" for the UK to join the European Union's single market in a rebuke to Sadiq Khan. Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the Labour leader insisted the UK "can’t go back into the EU" and that included any deal to join the bloc's economic community.  "

And he went on to say that what he wants is a new agreement with the EU, with closer economic ties, that will allow Brexit to actually work.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

He didn't say that there was no economic case though. There is. There will inevitably be calls for closer ties, and he seemed to spark that. 

2 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

Note he said "political case". That could easily change after the next GE.

The important thing for Starmer is to get into power - he will say whatever he needs to win back the red wall. The work starts after that.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 2

How are the EU getting on with providing more financial support to Ukraine?

Oh, they're not. Because Hungary (Putin's Trojan Horse) are blocking it.

How can the will of 26 countries be blocked by one man and call that democracy?

No doubt, the EU will have to grease Hungary's palm AGAIN (€5.8bn in grants last month) to get this support to Ukraine

Meanwhile, the UK, responds quicker and more decisively AGAIN

Edited by Johnny Bognor

22 minutes ago, Johnny Bognor said:

How are the EU getting on with providing more financial support to Ukraine?

Oh, they're not. Because Hungary (Putin's Trojan Horse) are blocking it.

How can the will of 26 countries be blocked by one man and call that democracy?

No doubt, the EU will have to grease Hungary's palm AGAIN (€5.8bn in grants last month) to get this support to Ukraine

Meanwhile, the UK, responds quicker and more decisively AGAIN

According to this the EU have given e30.32 billion in support too Ukraine, the UK e2.55 billion.

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

According to this the EU have given e30.32 billion in support too Ukraine, the UK e2.55 billion.

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Completely missing the point. They cant give any more until Hungary says so!

And they had to grease Hungary's palm, to the tune of $5.8billion, to be able to give anything last time round, so how much are the EU going to have to pay to buy Hungary's vote this time round?

As I said, the UK are in a position to act swiftly and decisively

39 minutes ago, Johnny Bognor said:

And they had to grease Hungary's palm, to the tune of $5.8billion, to be able to give anything last time round, so how much are the EU going to have to pay to buy Hungary's vote this time round?

Does being in the EU stop countries giving aid? According to that site Poland has given more as a percentage of GDP than us, they are in the EU.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Johnny Bognor said:

Hungary's view is that they are holding out for funds that they should already have had  but are being withheld by Brussels in a dispute over political reforms. It is not 'greasing' anything. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

"Some mistakes have to be paid for over many years";

And you can gaurantee that those paying and suffering as a consequence will not include BoJo, Moggy, or Nigel Mirage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

"Some mistakes have to be paid for over many years";

And you can gaurantee that those paying and suffering as a consequence will not include BoJo, Moggy, or Nigel Mirage.

Zahawi as well, Leave voter and very obvious now why that is. It’s why they all wanted on Vote Leave - freedom from scrutiny to avoid taxes offshore and launder huge sums of money. Criminal offences and corruption if you or I do it.

If they’d been up front about what Brexit’s second objective - Singapore on Thames - they’d have picked up the Tory die hards and aspiring NF/BNP voters and that’s all. ‘Vote Leave and lose entitlement to paid annual leave’, bit different to ‘let’s give an extra £350m to the NHS per week’ lie they told. Remain should have pissed all over that but Cameron was too scared of Farage and Banks. 
https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insights/what-might-the-brexit-freedoms-bill-mean-for-employment-law

Bit of justice tbh that Sunak gave quite a bit of the levelling up spending to Tory marginals in the SE. Leave voting areas in the Midlands, North East, SW and East shouldn’t benefit from shooting themselves in both feet.  NW did better but only part of the funding that Cameron stripped away 2010-15 to keep more Tory donors happy https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64321755

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

One of the major arguments against re-joining, and one I have quoted, is the obligation for accession members of the EU to adopt the Euro. Interestingly, Hungary, Poland,Romania, Sweden, and the Czech Republic have no plans so to do, and Sweden joined in 1995. So perhaps that one can be put out in the long grass.

It's quite clear now why the BBC has been the PR firm for government instead of asking the difficult Brexit questions -  the BBC chairman was personal friends with the PM and arranging loans for him when the personal debts started to stack up.

Both parties forgot to mention this during the selection process.