• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

30 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Just commenting on last two posts, as I have not been following this thread.

I think the situation is quite clear:

The vast majority of people, including those who campaigned for Brexit, agree it (the Brexit we achieved) has been bad for the UK.

If people could turn the clock back, and vote again (with today's knowledge), it would be a huge landslide to remain - not just to save us from what turned out to be the disaster of Brexit, but to prevent the time it took, the arguments, the mess of parliament, politics since etc..

However, I doubt that many want to revisit the decision and have a vote on whether to rejoin,  repeating all of the arguments.

I think most just want to find a way forward.

I agree with all of that, but what does finding a way forward look like now that we're out and staying out? Realistically it can't be much more than taking the rough with the rough.

22 minutes ago, egg said:

I agree with all of that, but what does finding a way forward look like now that we're out and staying out? Realistically it can't be much more than taking the rough with the rough.

Never say never but I cannot see us rejoining the EU for many years. I can hiwever forsee closer and closer alignment with the EU on more and more issues all designed to increase trade and co-operation. A change of government will help this pricess as would the Conservative party being recaptured by the grown ups. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, West end Saints said:

Just commenting on last two posts, as I have not been following this thread.

I think the situation is quite clear:

The vast majority of people, including those who campaigned for Brexit, agree it (the Brexit we achieved) has been bad for the UK.

If people could turn the clock back, and vote again (with today's knowledge), it would be a huge landslide to remain - not just to save us from what turned out to be the disaster of Brexit, but to prevent the time it took, the arguments, the mess of parliament, politics since etc..

However, I doubt that many want to revisit the decision and have a vote on whether to rejoin,  repeating all of the arguments.

I think most just want to find a way forward.

The result of the 2019 election pretty much confirmed that the vast majority of Brexit voters wanted it finalised & for the people responsible for “the time it took”, “the mess of Parliament” etc to get out of the way. A election based on Get Brexit done, resulted in a Tory landslide & wins in areas unthinkable when the Europhiles were running the party. 

People like Soggy are fighting the last war, it’s not a question of repeating the same arguments. Your  “huge landslide” will be achieved if we vote again. A huge landslide against The Euro & all the other conditions put upon us being re admitted. The reason the remain side fought so hard to stop us leaving after the vote  was because they knew this. They knew the deal  we had went the day we left & they knew there’’d no chance of us rejoining. 

From my point of view, the day we left Brexit became a success because it handed back control of certain areas to our Parliament. Take back control, meant that. What the British Government did with that control is down to them and they’re accountable for it. Had we been voting to remain or leave the EEC I’d have voted Remain, it was the “further steps to be taken in order to advance European integration”, of the Maastricht Treaty which did for me, & I suspect, the vast majority of Leave voters. So instead of looking at Brexit as the disaster, maybe you should look back at The Maastricht Treaty & the behaviour of pro Europeans politicians who pretended it was just a Trading arrangement. They were responsible for Brexit every bit as much as Nigel was. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The result of the 2019 election pretty much confirmed that the vast majority of Brexit voters wanted it finalised & for the people responsible for “the time it took”, “the mess of Parliament” etc to get out of the way. A election based on Get Brexit done, resulted in a Tory landslide & wins in areas unthinkable when the Europhiles were running the party. 

People like Soggy are fighting the last war, it’s not a question of repeating the same arguments. Your  “huge landslide” will be achieved if we vote again. A huge landslide against The Euro & all the other conditions put upon us being re admitted. The reason the remain side fought so hard to stop us leaving after the vote  was because they knew this. They knew the deal  we had went the day we left & they knew there’’d no chance of us rejoining. 

From my point of view, the day we left Brexit became a success because it handed back control of certain areas to our Parliament. Take back control, meant that. What the British Government did with that control is down to them and they’re accountable for it. Had we been voting to remain or leave the EEC I’d have voted Remain, it was the “further steps to be taken in order to advance European integration”, of the Maastricht Treaty which did for me, & I suspect, the vast majority of Leave voters. So instead of looking at Brexit as the disaster, maybe you should look back at The Maastricht Treaty & the behaviour of pro Europeans politicians who pretended it was just a Trading arrangement. They were responsible for Brexit every bit as much as Nigel was. 

Fair enough, we have very different views and probably both too entrenched to be convinced otherwise.

I read widely and am yet to be convinced of any tangible benefits, and when challenged you hear even likes of Farage agreeing but because we wanted a different Brexit😄.

I think there was far too much dishonesty which has been proven (oven ready deal, Northern Ireland) which often was due to clear barriers which they didn't have solutions for.

Sorry but all opinions polls clearly show most think it was wrong.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Taking back control is just fantasy, swapping one set of suits for another set of suits trying to find a way of operating in a world of suits. 

Ideological bollocks that does more harm than good.

Absolutely. The whole thing was designed to resonate with the flag shaggers and xenophobes. We retained our monarchy. We retained our democratically elected government. We elected Euro MPs and we held a veto so were never going to be railroaded into anything we weren’t happy with. We also managed to keep hold of our currency and retain a “special” status despite being no more special than the likes of France, Germany, Italy and the rest of the EU.

We have lost far more than we have gained, not least our standing in the world. The only upside in this situation is that those who spouted the lies are a busted flush and those who continue to support them are gradually dying out. I wonder if they actually realise yet that the straight banana thing was bollocks (along with every other lie we were fed)?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Absolutely. The whole thing was designed to resonate with the flag shaggers and xenophobes. We retained our monarchy. We retained our democratically elected government. We elected Euro MPs and we held a veto so were never going to be railroaded into anything we weren’t happy with. We also managed to keep hold of our currency and retain a “special” status despite being no more special than the likes of France, Germany, Italy and the rest of the EU.

We have lost far more than we have gained, not least our standing in the world. The only upside in this situation is that those who spouted the lies are a busted flush and those who continue to support them are gradually dying out. I wonder if they actually realise yet that the straight banana thing was bollocks (along with every other lie we were fed)?

Or in other language people who have a different opinion to you.

What's all this "we" about as well? You seem to hate everything about this country, remember you even admitted the only reason you did clap for carers during covid was because it gave you chance to speak to your neighbours (i bet they were glad when that finished) part of the reason for a lot of the real problems in this country are people like you. Self obsessed, woe is me merchants bathing in their own self pity. Get a grip man you should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Or in other language people who have a different opinion to you.

What's all this "we" about as well? You seem to hate everything about this country, remember you even admitted the only reason you did clap for carers during covid was because it gave you chance to speak to your neighbours (i bet they were glad when that finished) part of the reason for a lot of the real problems in this country are people like you. Self obsessed, woe is me merchants bathing in their own self pity. Get a grip man you should be ashamed of yourself.

I think his hatred stems from his wife not being handed benefits when she was fired - like everyone else in the same situation, but he felt she should be an exception. Fucking Tories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Another minor Brexit benefit, or just people being thick ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68658209

The latter, obviously, although I wonder why the EU are the only destination that deploy this rule? The rest of the world only use the expiry date. Is it just the EU being awkward/different because they can, or is there any logic behind it? (Genuine question as I have no idea). If the latter, then why aren't the rest of the world applying the same logic? 

6 hours ago, trousers said:

The latter, obviously, although I wonder why the EU are the only destination that deploy this rule? The rest of the world only use the expiry date. Is it just the EU being awkward/different because they can, or is there any logic behind it? (Genuine question as I have no idea). If the latter, then why aren't the rest of the world applying the same logic? 

The rest of the world have variations on what they’ll accept, insofar as many countries require a passport to have a minimum of 1-6 months remaining at the time of travel.

The EU rule wasn’t invented for Brexit, it’s always been there for third country citizens. And it makes sense really, if your passport is older than 10 years on the day you travel (and/or doesn’t have a minimum of 3 months to expiry) it’s invalid to visit the EU.

Edited by The Kraken

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

The rest of the world have variations on what they’ll accept, insofar as many countries require a passport to have a minimum of 1-6 months remaining at the time of travel.

The EU rule wasn’t invented for Brexit, it’s always been there for third country citizens. And it makes sense really, if your passport is older than 10 years on the day you travel (and/or doesn’t have a minimum of 3 months to expiry) it’s invalid to visit the EU.

These rules are there in case you need medical attention and have to stay in the country beyond your intended departure date.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

These rules are there in case you need medical attention and have to stay in the country beyond your intended departure date.

Medical is one reason yes, but overall it’s to ensure that if you overstay for any reason at all your passport will remain valid while still being able to stay in the country legally and without need for an exemption.  EU require 3 months which equates to the maximum of 90/180 (which itself will soon be much better monitored with the upcoming introduction of EES and then ETIAS).

• Like 2