• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Remind me, just what did "we' vote for ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67506641

"'Net migration into the UK was a record 745,000 last year, figures show - far higher than originally thought.

Office for National Statistics data published on Thursday show that experts have revised up previous estimates.

In May, it said net migration - the difference between the number of people coming to live in the UK and those leaving - for 2022 had been 606,000, 139,000 lower than the true figure."

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I had no idea what that graph means, so I looked it up. It is basicly a confidence survey and the numbers show.......

" The headline PMI is a number from 0 to 100. A PMI above 50 represents an expansion when compared with the previous month. A PMI reading under 50 represents a contraction while a reading at 50 indicates no change. The further away from 50, the greater the level of change.  "

So it pretty much shows the square root of fuck all.

And every country has been top at some point in the last two years. It's like a Labour run council school sports day in 1970's, everyone gets a prize.

Standard & Poor's are the largest of the big three credit rating agencies in the world.   The S&P Global - Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) is based on facts, not opinion, and is among the first indicators of economic conditions published each month. Over 20,000 companies participate.

The surveys achieve considerable press coverage on a regular basis and are widely used by purchasing professionals in the manufacturing sector, by senior management across the corporate sector and by economic analysts in financial institutions - particularly central banks in many key economies who use the data to help guide interest rate decisions.

A very expensive service the subscribe to, but I think the central banks could save money and base their interest rate decisions on the high IQ remainers posting on this site. £5/year is a bargain.

14 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Remind me, just what did "we' vote for ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67506641

"'Net migration into the UK was a record 745,000 last year, figures show - far higher than originally thought.

Office for National Statistics data published on Thursday show that experts have revised up previous estimates.

In May, it said net migration - the difference between the number of people coming to live in the UK and those leaving - for 2022 had been 606,000, 139,000 lower than the true figure."

Net migration – the difference between people legally arriving in the country and those emigrating – now three times higher than before Brexit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

The S&P Global - Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) is based on facts, not opinion,..........

PMI is derived from a survey of senior executives. The UK currently scores 50 which indicates "no change' from the previous report. Hardly a sign of confidence.

Edited by badgerx16

7 hours ago, The Kraken said:

In other news:

- Large bear spotted shitting in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest

- Mr Kipling factory produces another batch of almond slices

- Pope thought to be Catholic

Edited by Gloucester Saint

The UK’s flagship transatlantic trade deal, which was presented as a cornerstone of post-Brexit “global Britain”, will deliver even less benefit to the economy than the tiny uplift that was previously predicted, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility.

In a report accompanying last week’s autumn statement, the OBR said the UK’s entry into the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) would add just 0.04% to GDP in the “long run”, which it defines as after 15 years of membership.

:mcinnes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nissan bosses have declared that the impact of Brexit on its UK operations is now negligible and urged the country to be more optimistic about its prospects. The Japanese carmaking giant has previously been one of the most vocal critics of the decision to leave the EU, warning of the effect on its investments in its huge Sunderland plant. Chief executive Makoto Uchida told The Sunday Times that while Brexit had been a challenge, the UK would remain his company’s primary European outpost for “the foreseeable future” and still be the company’s most important market in Europe.

Speaking as he announced a £2 billion upgrade of the Sunderland plant last week, he said: “If not, we would not be making this investment.” Alan Johnson, Nissan’s senior vice-president of manufacturing and supply chain, added that while leaving the EU had made its operations in Britain “more bureaucratic… we quite quickly adapted. So that is just normal now”.

Pick the bones out of that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guided Missile said:

Pick the bones out of that.

Basically they have said that whilst there is more paperwork, they are going to continue with investment that was being planned before the referendum, because it has turned out to be not quite as bad as they thought it might be. What a clear Brexit benefit that is !

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Basically they have said that whilst there is more paperwork, they are going to continue with investment that was being planned before the referendum, because it has turned out to be not quite as bad as they thought it might be. What a clear Brexit benefit that is !

Exactly. Massive company has the resources to cope with a load of additional complex and pointless paperwork, well yeah. Of course it does.

I work for another one, completely different sector, and we've done the same. Doesn't mean it's not breathtakingly onerous for no benefit, it absolutely is a waste of time and resources. People in supply chain and procurement hate it, even simple things like putting test/trial/innovation samples in the post to Europe is an absolute fucking ballache and a demonstrable barrier to effective business. It's fucked things up that weren't fucked before and the advantages are zero. Zero.

Nissan I have absolutely no doubt would prefer us in the EU.

Smaller companies are less able to cope, but, fuck them, eh MisGuided Missile?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Time to put this thread out of its' misery, I think:

Biden ditches trade deal talks with Britain
UK's hopes for agreement fall to 'zero' after president came under pressure from own party about effects on US manufacturing
Joe Biden has shelved plans for a pact with Britain that could have paved the way for a full post-Brexit trade deal. The US president has decided not to move forward with a “foundational” agreement prepared by the US Trade Representative’s Office, that would have included negotiations over 11 areas of trade and regulation, following opposition from his own party in the Senate. Senate Democrats argued that it would not have provided sufficient protection for American workers, Politico reported. The UK’s hopes for a free trade agreement (FTA) with the US date from before the Brexit referendum, and faced an early setback when Barack Obama told voters that Britain would be “at the back of the queue” for a deal if it left the EU. But despite US support for an FTA in the early days of Donald Trump’s presidency in 2016, the chance of a deal has now fallen to “zero” under Mr Biden, the Government believes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Time to put this thread out of its' misery, I think:

So 436 pages after your OP telling us about how readily we will get a trans-Atlantic trade deal, you finally accept the whole thing was a pile of unicorn shit.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

It was pretty stupid of the EU to outlaw them in the first place. One of the early pointless regulations to irritate British consumer.

The EU didn't ban them, they simply fell victim to standardisation, as wine producers didn't see the point of having an additional size of bottle simply for the UK. Additionally, Bordeaux wines were boxed as groups of 6 bottles, and 6 750ml bottles equates to an imperial gallon.

https://eastangliabylines.co.uk/wine-the-pint-bottle-and-european-standards/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The EU didn't ban them, they simply fell victim to standardisation, as wine producers didn't see the point of having an additional size of bottle simply for the UK. Additionally, Bordeaux wines were boxed as groups of 6 bottles, and 6 750ml bottles equates to an imperial gallon.

https://eastangliabylines.co.uk/wine-the-pint-bottle-and-european-standards/

They didn't ban them they just did not allow them. 

5 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

They didn't ban them they just did not allow them. 

No, the pint bottles simply became a casualty of standardisation and economics. The EU did nothing to prevent their use, despite what the Brexit lobby would like us to believe.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You might think that cleaning up the rivers, tackling crime and reducing immigration would be higher up the polish than this.

Nobody really gives a toss about being able to have their sparkling wine in a pint bottle, it would have just been driven by some English wine producers trying to get a line of differentiation from champagne. As a size it makes sense because you get four servings out of it which suits sharing.

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

No, the pint bottles simply became a casualty of standardisation and economics. The EU did nothing to prevent their use, despite what the Brexit lobby would like us to believe.

As I understood it they fell foul of the new weights and measures rules after we joined the common market. I was barely alive at the time but I would imagine there would have been quite a debate at the time, particularly among higher end on-trade outlets who would have found it a lot easier to sell a pint bottle than a 75cl bottle. I think Ian Fleming always ordered a pint of champagne from his club when he had finished a book - a 75cl bottle would have been a bit much.

1 hour ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

As I understood it they fell foul of the new weights and measures rules after we joined the common market. I was barely alive at the time but I would imagine there would have been quite a debate at the time, particularly among higher end on-trade outlets who would have found it a lot easier to sell a pint bottle than a 75cl bottle. I think Ian Fleming always ordered a pint of champagne from his club when he had finished a book - a 75cl bottle would have been a bit much.

Metric units were legalised in the UK in 1896, and the compulsory use of metric measures for wine being consumed on the premises only became Law in 2012. Generally metric units became prevalent in the UK, after joining the Common Market, purely for ease of packaging and transport.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

Nobody really gives a toss about being able to have their sparkling wine in a pint bottle, it would have just been driven by some English wine producers trying to get a line of differentiation from champagne. As a size it makes sense because you get four servings out of it which suits sharing.

The government drove this culture war bollocks, hoping to get some momentum behind a call for imperial units but 98.7% of people told them to grow the fuck up. So the only thing the review came up was to change existing UK law to hamonise bottle sizes for still and sparkling wine, something the industry wanted and the wine pint thing, something that no one wanted.

The government says "thanks to new freedoms from leaving the European Union....Our exit from the EU was all about moments just like this, where we can seize new opportunities"

They're embarrassing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

50cl bottles have always been available. I believe.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The Brexit standard bearer Daily Express complaining that the UK has been left out of an EU transport plan:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1849136/eu-countries-britain-transport

The original headline was even funnier...

GCRbyCuWsAAsOYx?format=jpg&name=small

Strange that this plan doesn’t include any countries that aren’t EU members.

Scheming bastards ;)

So glad we left if we aren’t considered to be on their maps

That could actually be a Viz article. See just written by Express Reporter. Imagine no fucker would put their name to that. Although always assumed Express was just bots recycling stories about arthritis cures and house prices 

Edited by whelk