• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Apart from more people shopping online these days there are other reasons that the High Streets are dying. Large out of town shopping centres have been attracting shoppers away for years. Over inflated shop rentals and business rates have forced many people out of business and resulted in High Streets full of little than charity and coffee shops. Parking issues and ULEZ come well down the list when you look at the decline of our High Streets.

10 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

How car drivers less welcome in town centres now compared to say 10 or 20 years ago?

more pedestrianised zones, higher parking charges, less parking near shops.....fairly obvious stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/26/city-entres-end-of-road-for-cars-brighton-bristol-york

Edited by AlexLaw76

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

The pedestrianisation of Norwich town centre wouldn't have helped.

Pedestrianisation is a complete redherring, people don't stop going to town because they can't pull up right outside the shop they want. I assume Norwich still has car parks. And pedestrianisation was brought in to attract people to towns.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

more pedestrianised zones, higher parking charges, less parking near shops.....fairly obvious stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/26/city-entres-end-of-road-for-cars-brighton-bristol-york

Is that it, a couple a areas amongst the 100s of towns up and down the country, areas with there own particular issues. Brighton voted in a green council, they were of course going to try and curb car use. They've since been voted out because the people didn't want it. All those examples are small areas within the towns and cities that will be car free. You can still drive into towns up and down country, park up and go to the shops if you want to.

• Like 2

Our nearest High Street is in Ashford. There is a large shopping mall with a reasonably priced multi storey car park and from the mall you exit straight into the shopper friendly pedestrianised High St. There are plenty of large car parks within walking distance of the town centre, all reasonably priced. No ULEZ. All this is great if you want nail bars, fast food outlets, phone shops, charity shops and coffee shops. The big shops in the mall all left some time ago - Debenhams, Next, M & S, all gone. The town centre has been in decline for the last 20 years and it is nothing to do with an anti motorist policy by the council or ULEZ.

Another localish High St is in Tenterden. You can park free in the street for an hour. You can park free in the Tesco’s car park for two hours and walk through to the shops. There is a reasonably priced car park in Waitrose which again is a very short walk to the shops. Guess what? All of the banks bar one, and that is due to close soon, have shut up shop. The place is full of charity shops, coffee shops, empty shops or short lease shops. Even Laura Ashley bailed out, if that shop can’t sustain a business in an affluent town like Tenterden, there is a problem

The places that are doing best are the large outlet centre just by Ashford International station and the many small retail parks dotted around the town centre. Once upon a time you could get everything you needed in your High St. Now you get most of you stuff online or at shops away from the High Street. Batman may yearn for the good old days, but shopping has changed dramatically and dumping ULEZ plans and reducing the price of parking will make no difference. People don’t go to the High Street in the numbers they used to because they find what they need elsewhere. Why get in your car when you get most of what you need delivered to your door?

• Like 1

On 23/07/2023 at 11:59, Weston Super Saint said:

And they still can't make a profit!!

Something fundamentally wrong with our train system if we can't run efficient trains at reasonable prices, like the rest of the world seems to be able to do...

Hmmmmn maybe Tory privatisation has something to do with it. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Is that it, a couple a areas amongst the 100s of towns up and down the country, areas with there own particular issues. Brighton voted in a green council, they were of course going to try and curb car use. They've since been voted out because the people didn't want it. All those examples are small areas within the towns and cities that will be car free. You can still drive into towns up and down country, park up and go to the shops if you want to.

Brighton has particular issues though. Its a combination of

1. Being hugely popular with visitors and has massive traffic inflows

2. Most of the Town centre is an old conservation area with narrow streets only suitable for one way traffic plus one side of parking or two way traffic and no parking

3. No mass transit system other than buses  

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 13:07, sadoldgit said:

Our nearest High Street is in Ashford. There is a large shopping mall with a reasonably priced multi storey car park and from the mall you exit straight into the shopper friendly pedestrianised High St. There are plenty of large car parks within walking distance of the town centre, all reasonably priced. No ULEZ. All this is great if you want nail bars, fast food outlets, phone shops, charity shops and coffee shops. The big shops in the mall all left some time ago - Debenhams, Next, M & S, all gone. The town centre has been in decline for the last 20 years and it is nothing to do with an anti motorist policy by the council or ULEZ.

Another localish High St is in Tenterden. You can park free in the street for an hour. You can park free in the Tesco’s car park for two hours and walk through to the shops. There is a reasonably priced car park in Waitrose which again is a very short walk to the shops. Guess what? All of the banks bar one, and that is due to close soon, have shut up shop. The place is full of charity shops, coffee shops, empty shops or short lease shops. Even Laura Ashley bailed out, if that shop can’t sustain a business in an affluent town like Tenterden, there is a problem

The places that are doing best are the large outlet centre just by Ashford International station and the many small retail parks dotted around the town centre. Once upon a time you could get everything you needed in your High St. Now you get most of you stuff online or at shops away from the High Street. Batman may yearn for the good old days, but shopping has changed dramatically and dumping ULEZ plans and reducing the price of parking will make no difference. People don’t go to the High Street in the numbers they used to because they find what they need elsewhere. Why get in your car when you get most of what you need delivered to your door?

🛌 😴 💤 

Fucking boring & nothing to do with Brexit. 

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

🛌 😴 💤 

Fucking boring & nothing to do with Brexit. 

Many other posters have been writing about this issue yet you single me out for your comment. If it so boring why waste your precious time reading it when you could be down at your local ale house eyeing up the nine pinters?

As said previously, this country is rapidly going down the toilet thanks to the way the government have governed over the last 13 years, and that includes Brexit and the implementation of Brexit. I am sure that you are aware that local services are dependent on funding and as we know, local services are being cut back due to our economic situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Many other posters have been writing about this issue yet you single me out for your comment. If it so boring why waste your precious time reading it when you could be down at your local ale house eyeing up the nine pinters?

As said previously, this country is rapidly going down the toilet thanks to the way the government have governed over the last 13 years, and that includes Brexit and the implementation of Brexit. I am sure that you are aware that local services are dependent on funding and as we know, local services are being cut back due to our economic situation.

If at first you don't succeed, double down on boring off topic posts.

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand:

Britain will outperform Germany this year, according to the International Monetary Fund, after the agency’s worst fears for the UK economy didn’t come to pass. The IMF expects the UK economy to grow by 0.4pc this year, it said on Tuesday, confirming predictions published in May as part of its annual economic healthcheck. This represents a big upgrade compared with the 0.3pc contraction it predicted in April, when the UK was forecast to be the worst performing major economy in the world including Russia.
Britain’s financial sector has also remained “resilient” following the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank in the US and Credit Suisse in Switzerland. Meanwhile, Germany’s economy is now expected to shrink by 0.3pc this year in a blow to Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who insisted earlier this year that Germany will avoid a contraction.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

So the IMF didn't get the April prediction correct, but you are convinced that they're bang on with this prediction.

Of course they are, and Deutsche Bank have gone bust and the German car manufacturers are so desperate for British business they are still trying to smash down the Chancellor's office door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Fake news.

I have never posted that so why are you faking quotes to make it look like I did?

Was unintentional. A glitch somehow. Apologies. I am a fair antagonist and have no need to give ammunition to a bloviator. 
I think I was trying to respond to a quote but put the material inside the quote box. 
Anyway, please accept my humble apologies. I know you are a stickler for accuracy.

Edited by Warriorsaint

5 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand:

Meanwhile, in the real world Britain's GDP per capita has declined in the past 15 years by 7% whilst Germany's has increased by 24%. So I'd say you can shove your 'maybe just maybe 0.3%' up your arse, technically speaking.  

2007: UK $50,400. Germany $41,600 

2016: UK $41,100. Germany $42,100

2021: UK $46,500. Germany $51,200

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Was unintentional. A glitch somehow. Apologies. I am a fair antagonist and have no need to give ammunition to a bloviator. 
I think I was trying to respond to a quote but put the material inside the quote box. 
Anyway, please accept my humble apologies. I know you are a stickler for accuracy.

I hold no grudges. You've apologised so we can move on - just try and raise your game in the future....

You have to give it to Farage, he, his GB News boss and any minister who was in the know, and there were a few, will have made an absolute killing in the last fortnight.

Ignore all the faux bluster about reputation etc, just follow the money...and the share price.

Very clever. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

You have to give it to Farage, he, his GB News boss and any minister who was in the know, and there were a few, will have made an absolute killing in the last fortnight.

Ignore all the faux bluster about reputation etc, just follow the money...and the share price.

Very clever. 

Maybe Farage will push his wealth back above the Coutts threshold.

• Like 1

Eurozone economy to 'contract' in second half, say economists

The eurozone inflation data “will have been a disappointment for policymakers” at the European Central Bank, according to economists.Although headline inflation fell in line  with expectations to 5.3pc, core inflation was unchanged at 5.5pc in July as big falls in core goods inflation (from 5.5pc to 5pc) were offset by an increase in services inflation (from 5.4pc to 5.6pc). Andrew Kenningham, chief Europe economist at Capital Economics, said: “Although core inflation should decline steadily as global supply problems ease and pull down core goods inflation quite rapidly, we suspect that services inflation will come down only slowly and will keep the ECB from pivoting to rate cuts until well into next year.” He added that the 0.3pc increase in eurozone GDP were thanks to big increases in France and Ireland, “both of which were distorted by one-off factors and give a misleading impression of the underlying strength of the economy”. Excluding these two countries, GDP growth would have been only 0.04pc quarter on quarter, or zero to one decimal place!  As these factors are unlikely to be repeated in the coming quarters and the impact of monetary policy tightening is still intensifying, we think euro-zone GDP will contract in the second half of the year.

Meanwhile, our Saints supporting PM is making the most of our hard won freedom, with a trade agreement with India up, next.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Meanwhile, our Saints supporting PM is making the most of our hard won freedom, with a trade agreement with India up, next.

Isn't it eye opening when our resident Brexit loony posts. It is amazing how some people are so deluded and eager to cling onto anything which apparently supports their views.

I wonder if he really is as arrogant and as mad as the impression given from his posts. God help anybody who works for this madman in his poison selling business. 

.... Or perhaps this is just an act and he is not as deluded as he likes to make out.

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Isn't it eye opening when our resident Brexit loony posts. It is amazing how some people are so deluded and eager to cling onto anything which apparently supports their views.

I wonder if he really is as arrogant and as mad as the impression given from his posts. God help anybody who works for this madman in his poison selling business. 

.... Or perhaps this is just an act and he is not as deluded as he likes to make out.

I used to think it was a troll act, maybe it was at one stage. However now....Bursledon Council is just an example of wider issues  

On the other side of the coin:

Britain’s national debt stands above the EU as a proportion of the size of the economy, new data shows, as the Bank of England prepares to raise interest rates for a 14th time in a row. The UK’s general government gross debt was equivalent to 100.5pc of gross domestic product (GDP) in the first three months of the year, according to the Office for National Statistics. This was 16.8 percentage points above the EU average during the period, which stood at 83.7pc. The figure was a slight improvement on the previous quarter but more than double the eight point gap before the pandemic.

5 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

FYI, the EU are also in negotiations with India over an FTA. It will be interesting to see who gets the better deal.

• Like 1

From the source, Capital Economics, that GM indirectly quoted regarding the Euro zone economy, this is their view of the UK's situation;

"As the UK’s recent problem of higher inflation and slower economic growth than elsewhere is largely due to the lingering effects of the pandemic and Brexit, we think the UK will probably look like the stagflation nation for another couple of years yet. Admittedly, we do think that CPI inflation will fall from 8.7% in April to the 2.0% target by the first half of 2024 and that core CPI inflation will decline from 6.8% to 2.0% by early 2025. But those falls will be slower than in the US and the euro-zone. And we suspect inflation will drop all the way to 2.0% only if the Bank of England triggers a recession by raising interest rates from 4.50% now to a peak of 5.25% and keeps interest rates there until the second half of 2024."

Edited by badgerx16

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

FYI, the EU are also in negotiations with India over an FTA. It will be interesting to see who gets the better deal.

Probably the only difference being the UK deal to include freedom of movement with India, whilst the one the EU negotiates will not….

New border food checks delayed yet again as the government is "concerned they will drive inflation."

Well, no shit Sherlock. If only we had some sort of reciprocal relationship with our largest trading partner that made them unnecessary :mcinnes:

• Like 5

Lol at the latest announcement that the Government is going to "help manufacturers" (their words) by keeping the CE standard. It will doubtless infuriate the UKIP wing of the Conservative party but common sense sometimes wins over dogma. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Lol at the latest announcement that the Government is going to "help manufacturers" (their words) by keeping the CE standard. It will doubtless infuriate the UKIP wing of the Conservative party but common sense sometimes wins over dogma. 

A Sovereign Government deciding policy. Whats funny about that, It’s how most countries operate? 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

A Sovereign Government deciding policy. Whats funny about that, It’s how most countries operate? 

Now you have done it Duckie. Batman was getting himself quite worked up over the supposed unfair suggestion that you often sup a pint of Old Iron Lady down at the Brexit Arms whilst sitting beneath a picture of Nigel Farage and yet here you are posting under the avatar of…..Nigel Farage! 

See Batman, I was right all along 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It's as if there's a good reason for keeping all these perfectly sensible arrangements we've been living with for years

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Now you have done it Duckie. Batman was getting himself quite worked up over the supposed unfair suggestion that you often sup a pint of Old Iron Lady down at the Brexit Arms whilst sitting beneath a picture of Nigel Farage and yet here you are posting under the avatar of…..Nigel Farage! 

Nice to see @Lighthouse sticking to the rules of moving posts that are purely about other posters....

One rule for 1....

• Haha 1

On 03/08/2023 at 08:57, Danbert said:

New border food checks delayed yet again as the government is "concerned they will drive inflation."

Well, no shit Sherlock. If only we had some sort of reciprocal relationship with our largest trading partner that made them unnecessary :mcinnes:

This is brilliant, because the government has to fight inflation the Tories can't dodge or fudge the real world consequence of Brexit. They have had to admit for the first time that there is a Tory Brexit Tax.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 12:16, sadoldgit said:

You claimed you had me on ignore, yet within 5 mins of an avatar change you’re posting about it. You’re losing track of the shite you make up. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You claimed you had me on ignore, yet within 5 mins of an avatar change you’re posting about it. You’re losing track of the shite you make up. 

Blimey. Brexiteers can't even do simple maths. No wonder they believe the tripe that Froggy Farage and others spout. 😁😁

Duckie changed his avatar at 11.27. SOG replied at 13.16 yet to Duckie that is 5 mins. Thick or what??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Blimey. Brexiteers can't even do simple maths. No wonder they believe the tripe that Froggy Farage and others spout. 😁😁

Duckie changed his avatar at 11.27. SOG replied at 13.16 yet to Duckie that is 5 mins. Thick or what??

Jesus wept. This is taking stalking to the extreme.

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

What the dim Duckhunter had failed to grasp is that you still see people’s avatars if they are on your ignore list when you look at the menus as they show the last poster for each thread. That is where I saw his latest avatar. Still, like the people whose politics he supports he has to try and find something spurious  to have a dig at, they have nothing else.

He ought to be aware also that you are given the option to read each post from posters on your ignore list if you so chose. It is therefore possible to read posts from those on ignore without taking them off your ignore list. He prefers to pretend that I make stuff up though, probably why he supports congenital liars like Johnson and Farage!

• Haha 1