• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

I'm sure we are so upset that a bunch of classical music dwellers was carrying eu flags is going to cause us a great deal of pain for many many years. I might turn out like warriorsaint staring at saints web while in the company of big titted women.

I did say 'some'; some aren't the chilled secure brexiteer you are.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/they-dont-understand-the-bigger-picture-tour-of-britain-race-director-responds-to-route-critics

"The organiser of the Tour of Britain has said Brexit is to blame for the small size of the peloton at this year's race.

Just 97 riders started the British .Pro race in 2023, down from 110 last year, and 125 in 2019, pre-Covid and before the official departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union

Mick Bennett, the race's director, explained to Cycling Weekly that the UK leaving the EU was largely behind the reduced peloton.

“It's purely and simply Brexit,” he said.  “Just to give you an example, it took some teams that rode the World Champs five hours to get their vehicles, and technical teams through customs at Dover, and that was only three weeks ago. And they go, 'Hang on. You know what? It's not worth it'. So they didn't, but that's purely and simply down to Brexit.”"

On 10/09/2023 at 09:46, Smirking_Saint said:
I see the groundbreaking trade deal with the US is going well… unfortunately not for us though

Actually it is going well, at long last:

Following the major new paper by Meredith Broadbent at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington DC, a Bill advocating a US-UK trade deal has been tabled in Congress, with bipartisan support in both houses. 

Over the summer, a delegation of Congressmen, including both Republicans and Democrats, visited Lord Dominic Johnson, the Trade Minister, to make the case for a deal, referring to the opportunities for collaboration in artificial intelligence, global supply chains, energy security, and financial services, among other issues. 

I wonder how the US/EU FTA is going? Nowhere, I suspect.

On 10/09/2023 at 19:41, Fan The Flames said:

It might not include US territory but it has US backing. And being a counterbalance to China is a good thing.

So it's not a trade deal with the US but it's ok to celebrate it as one because the UK doesnt have one ( nor does eu either lol ) because the US backed it. Ok, fair enough. 

On 11/09/2023 at 19:06, badgerx16 said:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/they-dont-understand-the-bigger-picture-tour-of-britain-race-director-responds-to-route-critics

"The organiser of the Tour of Britain has said Brexit is to blame for the small size of the peloton at this year's race.

Just 97 riders started the British .Pro race in 2023, down from 110 last year, and 125 in 2019, pre-Covid and before the official departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union

Mick Bennett, the race's director, explained to Cycling Weekly that the UK leaving the EU was largely behind the reduced peloton.

“It's purely and simply Brexit,” he said.  “Just to give you an example, it took some teams that rode the World Champs five hours to get their vehicles, and technical teams through customs at Dover, and that was only three weeks ago. And they go, 'Hang on. You know what? It's not worth it'. So they didn't, but that's purely and simply down to Brexit.”"

So it's nothing to do with sponsors pulling out and alot of top riders was not going to be paid for competing so didnt? Ok.... cause professional sports people compete for free right? They dont chase the money?

14 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

So reading that link, there are no talks at present between the UK and the US over an FTA, just a proposal in Congress that suggests it might be a good idea to consider starting them. Yep, going REALLY well !

Why are you so keen for a trade deal with the US? The EU has been trying since it was created and STILL doesnt have one, why is the UK expected to have it done n dusted in just a couple of years.

If we get one in the next 40 years then itll have been done quicker than the EUs which are so fucking amazingly awesome the rest of the world cant believe the US hasn't joined it.

3 hours ago, Mosin said:

So it's not a trade deal with the US but it's ok to celebrate it as one because the UK doesnt have one ( nor does eu either lol ) because the US backed it. Ok, fair enough. 

No it's not a trade deal, it's a cooperation deal, and the US are part of it, but not their territory. I don't really see what you are disputing here.

And why haven't you responded to GMs post about the 'progressing' UK/US deal.

5 hours ago, Mosin said:

So it's nothing to do with sponsors pulling out and alot of top riders was not going to be paid for competing so didnt? Ok.... cause professional sports people compete for free right? They dont chase the money?

Probably has something to do with it, but it is not my quote, it is what the race teams said.

Why are you so keen for a trade deal with the US? The EU has been trying since it was created and STILL doesnt have one, why is the UK expected to have it done n dusted in just a couple of years.

If we get one in the next 40 years then itll have been done quicker than the EUs which are so fucking amazingly awesome the rest of the world cant believe the US hasn't joined it.

Boris promised that the UK would be "at the front of the queue" for an FTA with the US, yet we haven't yet officially even joined the line of those waiting. It was one of the planks that Brexit was floated on. ( Boris, JRM, and Farage being the biggest planks )

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

And under trump we was, trumps words, so it wasn't a lie, but now we have a pro republic of Ireland POTUS who wants a reunited Ireland in office making life difficult hence the individual states going against Biden and doing UK / state MoUs which ofc will pave the way for a FTA if a less interfering POTUS eventually enters office or not.  

Biden has always had a problem with the UK and NI. Why do you think unionists hate him?. 

41 minutes ago, Mosin said:

And under trump we was, trumps words, so it wasn't a lie, but now we have a pro republic of Ireland POTUS who wants a reunited Ireland in office making life difficult hence the individual states going against Biden and doing UK / state MoUs which ofc will pave the way for a FTA if a less interfering POTUS eventually enters office or not.  

Biden has always had a problem with the UK and NI. Why do you think unionists hate him?. 

Trump became President in 2017, Boris became PM in 2019. Plenty of time and space to at least start the necessary background work such that the outline for an FTA was on the table ready for B-day, ( sic ). But, despite both being oh so keen on it, fuck all was done.

If, as in your previous post, it takes 40 years, then it won't happen - we'll be back in the EU before then.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Not gonna post opinion on everything that has been said before but I will post a true story. I promise you I am not making what comes next up.....

The day after the vote my Dad, god rest his soul, called me. Pretty sure some of you older ones know his name, he was pretty well known in non-league circles as a competent and successful manager, and I say that to highlight that seemingly 'smart' people can also got caught up in the whole Brexit mood of the time. I loved my dad, he gave me the best childhood a kid could wish for as a football nut and gave me things not many kids get to experience but I digress. I wouldn't swap that, or him, for the world. But this is what happened...

The call to me the day after the vote (and these are the precise words):

Dad: "What do you think of this Brexit then?"

Me "I think we're dumber than snot"

Dad "Pfff....well I voted for it. I'm tired of all this immigration"

Me "Dad.....you live in Portugal. You're an EU immigrant"

And that kind of sums up what our intellectual population voted for. It wasn't anything more than that. Island nation thinking, screw the important details.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, grezz said:

Not gonna post opinion on everything that has been said before but I will post a true story. I promise you I am not making what comes next up.....

The day after the vote my Dad, god rest his soul, called me. Pretty sure some of you older ones know his name, he was pretty well known in non-league circles as a competent and successful manager, and I say that to highlight that seemingly 'smart' people can also got caught up in the whole Brexit mood of the time. I loved my dad, he gave me the best childhood a kid could wish for as a football nut and gave me things not many kids get to experience but I digress. I wouldn't swap that, or him, for the world. But this is what happened...

And that kind of sums up what our intellectual population voted for. It wasn't anything more than that. Island nation thinking, screw the important details.

Your final line also sums up why remainers are viewed as thick as you truly believe the only reason people voted to leave was due to immigration. You remainers have this view that you are superior, and nothing could be further from the truth.

FYI I abstained as I live overseas and had both no skin in the game. However, even I was aware of the many issues many leavers had. The remainer views of leavers are very childlike and simplistic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Mosin said:

Biden rightly wants to protect the GFA, which is the cornerstone of peace.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grezz said:

I had a very similar conversation with a friend of the family, he was moaning about immigration, despite knowing my mum is Irish, he had ived in Australia for over a decade in the 70/80's and was now living in Potugal.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Your final line also sums up why remainers are viewed as thick as you truly believe the only reason people voted to leave was due to immigration. You remainers have this view that you are superior, and nothing could be further from the truth.

FYI I abstained as I live overseas and had both no skin in the game. However, even I was aware of the many issues many leavers had. The remainer views of leavers are very childlike and simplistic.

Seems to cut both ways.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

I don’t believe that Remainers think that. Certainly basic nationalism and immigration played a big part and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to back that up. Farage and UKIP played on the “fear” of immigration by pretending that we would be flooded with migrants from Turkey should they join the EU.

Another major issue was “getting our country back” (from “foreigners” I assume) and the supposed regaling of “sovereignty”.

But we never actually lost sovereignty. We still had a Queen as head of state. We still had a democratically elected government and Prime Minister. We provided democratically elected representatives to the EU. We retained the right to veto policies that we were not happy with.

The reason remainers call people who still believe that Brexit was a good thing thick is because it has clearly been disaster out for this country. It has done untold damage to our economy and our standing in the world stage. To opt out of the second biggest market place that is also right on our doorstep is the single biggest act of self harm we could have done bar launching nukes on Russia.

If the referendum was to be held again today it is pretty obvious that the vote would go the other way. Why? Because it was a mistake and more people see that it was because of what has happened since.

We were lied to by people like Johnson who only supported leave because he saw that as a career opportunity.

The lies were obvious. You had to be pretty dense to fall for his  and others like Rees-Mogg’s rhetoric.

The way forward is to work more closely with the EU and you would have to be pretty thick not to understand that. I also believe eventually that we will either rejoin the EU or end up with a soft Brexit to the point that we are members in all but name.

As a rule of thumb, anything that rattles the cages of people like Farage is a good thing and those, like him, who still profess that the harder the Brexit the better, should be regarded as “thick”.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t believe that Remainers think that. Certainly basic nationalism and immigration played a big part and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to back that up. Farage and UKIP played on the “fear” of immigration by pretending that we would be flooded with migrants from Turkey should they join the EU.

Another major issue was “getting our country back” (from “foreigners” I assume) and the supposed regaling of “sovereignty”.

But we never actually lost sovereignty. We still had a Queen as head of state. We still had a democratically elected government and Prime Minister. We provided democratically elected representatives to the EU. We retained the right to veto policies that we were not happy with.

The reason remainers call people who still believe that Brexit was a good thing thick is because it has clearly been disaster out for this country. It has done untold damage to our economy and our standing in the world stage. To opt out of the second biggest market place that is also right on our doorstep is the single biggest act of self harm we could have done bar launching nukes on Russia.

If the referendum was to be held again today it is pretty obvious that the vote would go the other way. Why? Because it was a mistake and more people see that it was because of what has happened since.

We were lied to by people like Johnson who only supported leave because he saw that as a career opportunity.

The lies were obvious. You had to be pretty dense to fall for his  and others like Rees-Mogg’s rhetoric.

The way forward is to work more closely with the EU and you would have to be pretty thick not to understand that. I also believe eventually that we will either rejoin the EU or end up with a soft Brexit to the point that we are members in all but name.

As a rule of thumb, anything that rattles the cages of people like Farage is a good thing and those, like him, who still profess that the harder the Brexit the better, should be regarded as “thick”.

You only need to look at the people who thought it was a good idea to know that it would be a bad idea.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

If, as in your previous post, it takes 40 years, then it won't happen - we'll be back in the EU before then.

50 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I also believe eventually that we will either rejoin the EU eventually that we will either rejoin the EU or end up with a soft Brexit to the point that we are members in all but name.

And these 2 posters have the neck to call Leavers thick. 

Whilst new members have to accept the Euro, we will never re join. 
Whilst new members have to be members of Schengen we will never rejoin. 
If we have to accept FoM we will never rejoin.

And that’s even before “ever closer union” and the bill are even mentioned. 40 years, 😂

Of course immigration paid a massive part of the leave vote. Not because people are racist but because FoM is fundamentally flawed & also a perfect example of where sovereignty was diluted beyond what was acceptable to decent ordinary folk. 

Tory Euro sceptics spent years banging on about section x of sub section y of x treaty, probably fundamental points that pointed to EU over reach, but the public didn’t understand, weren’t bothered, or weren’t interested. Nigel came along & argued indisputable facts. Every single EU citizen had the right to live & work in the UK & if another country joined the EU , eventually their citizens would have that right.

It’s pretty easy to move from there onto sovereignty and other related issues, and even easier when 90% of Remain supporting politicians had spent years pretending they were sceptical anyway. Who can forget Gordon Brown signing the treaty hidden away,or Cameron demanding reform or he advise leaving. Who is going to lead this rejoin movement & be your Nigel because non of the remain camp had the wit or wisdom to do so. Maybe Femi😂, Steve Bray 😂, Grieveance 😂. Your side lost the referendum when Johnnie Major & not Ken Clarke replaced Mrs T. It’ll take more than 40 fucking years to win it back. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Duckhunters’s post proves my point. Farage, Johnson and Rees-Mogg didn’t have to break sweat in order to manipulate the Little Englanders to the point that some of them still believe that nonsense. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Remind me again how things have become so much better in the UK for all of us since we left. Go and round up some fisherman from around the coast and ask them how they are doing. Speak to musicians who used to tour Europe and ask them. Ask farmers. Ask small businesses. There is a very large list of people who would laugh in your face if they knew you are still supporting the stupid decision to leave and the true test is how would the vote go now given that we have had a taste of what it means. You know as well as I do that you would lose.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 3

A very large part of the electorate that took part in the referendum will be dead within 40 years, and a large part of the electorate that will be around in 40 years have not yet been born. Most of the Political leaders and opinion shapers of the UK 40 years hence are currently in kindergarten. I am totally confident that given the opportunity all of my children, their spouses, and their children would vote to rejoin.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

And these 2 posters have the neck to call Leavers thick. 

Whilst new members have to accept the Euro, we will never re join. 
Whilst new members have to be members of Schengen we will never rejoin. 
If we have to accept FoM we will never rejoin.

And that’s even before “ever closer union” and the bill are even mentioned. 40 years, 😂

Of course immigration paid a massive part of the leave vote. Not because people are racist but because FoM is fundamentally flawed & also a perfect example of where sovereignty was diluted beyond what was acceptable to decent ordinary folk. 

Tory Euro sceptics spent years banging on about section x of sub section y of x treaty, probably fundamental points that pointed to EU over reach, but the public didn’t understand, weren’t bothered, or weren’t interested. Nigel came along & argued indisputable facts. Every single EU citizen had the right to live & work in the UK & if another country joined the EU , eventually their citizens would have that right.

It’s pretty easy to move from there onto sovereignty and other related issues, and even easier when 90% of Remain supporting politicians had spent years pretending they were sceptical anyway. Who can forget Gordon Brown signing the treaty hidden away,or Cameron demanding reform or he advise leaving. Who is going to lead this rejoin movement & be your Nigel because non of the remain camp had the wit or wisdom to do so. Maybe Femi😂, Steve Bray 😂, Grieveance 😂. Your side lost the referendum when Johnnie Major & not Ken Clarke replaced Mrs T. It’ll take more than 40 fucking years to win it back. 

It was never an unqualified right to live anywhere in the EU. Other countries enforced the restrictions.  The UK didn't. 

And if you believed that goalmouth Farage it proces the points made earlier. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

The reason remainers call people who still believe that Brexit was a good thing thick is because it has clearly been disaster out for this country.

How ironic would it be if the 'remainers' calling 'brexiteers' thick swayed enough of the thickos to vote for Brexit in the first place as a stupid act of defiance...? i.e. calling thickos thick is bound to strengthen their resolve, isn't it...? Maybe the really clever thing to do/have done is not call them thick out loud...? Could it be that the name callers were the thick ones in the end...?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Duckhunters’s post proves my point. Farage, Johnson and Rees-Mogg didn’t have to break sweat in order to manipulate the Little Englanders to the point that some of them still believe that nonsense. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Remind me again how things have become so much better in the UK for all of us since we left. Go and round up some fisherman from around the coast and ask them how they are doing. Speak to musicians who used to tour Europe and ask them. Ask farmers. Ask small businesses. There is a very large list of people who would laugh in your face if they knew you are still supporting the stupid decision to leave and the true test is how would the vote go now given that we have had a taste of what it means. You know as well as I do that you would lose.

😂😂😂

You have the nerve to call others stupid when you’re writing pony like this

“ the true test is how would the vote go now given that we have had a taste of what it means.”

People will be laughing in your face, for actually believing this pony.

“The true test” 😂😂.

You know as well as I do that you would lose.😂😂

Are you aware that the “true test”, isnt leave or remain, but stay out or rejoin. If you think you’ll win when it’ll mean, the euro, Schengen and no rebate, you’re fucking deluded. I’d lay off calling people thick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Except Boris, Farage, and JRM, all of whom made a mint.

George Galloway was pretty happy, did he “make a mint” or was he anti immigrant. What about Paul Embury from the FBU, or Frank Field. John Mann, fucking right wing bigot. Giles Fraser, journalist & vicar, what did he make? 

I know it suits the people who lost the vote make out it was some right wing con job, but the left had a long & consistent hatred of the EU (as did the SNP). But as the Labour Party became gentrified and joined the establishment it abandoned that scepticism. Millions who would never vote UKIP or consider themselves “right wing”, voted to leave. All Farage did was provide them with the opportunity, he ran rings round the establishment & forced them to give us a vote. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

George Galloway was pretty happy, did he “make a mint” or was he anti immigrant. What about Paul Embury from the FBU, or Frank Field. John Mann, fucking right wing bigot. Giles Fraser, journalist & vicar, what did he make? 

I know it suits the people who lost the vote make out it was some right wing con job, but the left had a long & consistent hatred of the EU (as did the SNP). But as the Labour Party became gentrified and joined the establishment it abandoned that scepticism. Millions who would never vote UKIP or consider themselves “right wing”, voted to leave. All Farage did was provide them with the opportunity, he ran rings round the establishment & forced them to give us a vote. 

If you can show me a 'leftie' leaver who has personally significantly benefitted financially from Brexit I will gladly add them to the list.

• Like 1

The whole “right wing” thing comes from the xenophobic, Little England, flag shagging mentality. The type of people who still believe it was a good thing despite the obvious evidence otherwise. It is dressed up as Nationalism but is basic tribalism and an unwarranted superiority complex based on the way the world was under the British Empire.

Yes, there were “lefties” who voted to leave and had other agendas, but when you listen to the countless people interviewed who supported Brexit the usual lines trotted out were about immigration and getting the country back. You know the stuff only too well as it is meat and drink to your lot.

What you ignore is the fact that  you wouldn’t win the vote if happened now. The simple reason for that is more and more people have realised that they were duped and that we are not better off outside the EU.

I suppose the only upside for others is that any EU country thinking about leaving before will look at the unholy mess we are in and realise things are much better where they are.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The whole “right wing” thing comes from the xenophobic, Little England, flag shagging mentality. The type of people who still believe it was a good thing despite the obvious evidence otherwise. It is dressed up as Nationalism but is basic tribalism and an unwarranted superiority complex based on the way the world was under the British Empire.

Yes, there were “lefties” who voted to leave and had other agendas, but when you listen to the countless people interviewed who supported Brexit the usual lines trotted out were about immigration and getting the country back. You know the stuff only too well as it is meat and drink to your lot.

What you ignore is the fact that  you wouldn’t win the vote if happened now. The simple reason for that is more and more people have realised that they were duped and that we are not better off outside the EU.

I suppose the only upside for others is that any EU country thinking about leaving before will look at the unholy mess we are in and realise things are much better where they are.

Dduckie's problem is he has blinkers towards some posters, generically labelled as pinkoes or lefties, and he is unable to read a post in context - in this case he seems to be oblivious to the post I replied to with my comment, that "Every voter lost". All I did was list the first 3 people I could think of who have benefitted significantly from the vote to leave the EU,. Nothing to do with their politics, everything to do with their ulterior motives in pushing for Brexit.

33 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Dduckie's problem is he has blinkers towards some posters, generically labelled as pinkoes or lefties, and he is unable to read a post in context - in this case he seems to be oblivious to the post I replied to with my comment, that "Every voter lost". All I did was list the first 3 people I could think of who have benefitted significantly from the vote to leave the EU,. Nothing to do with their politics, everything to do with their ulterior motives in pushing for Brexit.

You could say that about quite a few on here 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

😂😂😂 You just don’t get it do you? 

If so many people realise “we are not better off outside the EU” it should be easy to win a rejoin referenda.

There won’t be one though will there? Even the arch Europhile Sir Kier & his band of middle class tossers won’t put it in their manifesto. Why not, because it’ll cost him the election, that’s why. 

If there was a vote today, we’ll win it again. The country won’t vote to rejoin and that’s the only vote that matters now. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

😂😂😂 You just don’t get it do you? 

If so many people realise “we are not better off outside the EU” it should be easy to win a rejoin referenda.

There won’t be one though will there? Even the arch Europhile Sir Kier & his band of middle class tossers won’t put it in their manifesto. Why not, because it’ll cost him the election, that’s why. 

If there was a vote today, we’ll win it again. The country won’t vote to rejoin and that’s the only vote that matters now. 

Do you miss the point on purpose or is there another reason.

SOG point was, if at the referendum people had the knowledge that they have now, leave wouldn't win. I agree with that.