• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Brexit turned out less badly than we thought - says David Cameron - and we haven't even left yet....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42806207

What a weird post. Brexit hasn't happened yet - as you appear to acknowledge at the end of your sentence. So it hasn't 'turned out' in any way at all. Your problem seems to be not being able to apprehend the meaning of complete sentences - even your own.

What a weird post. Brexit hasn't happened yet - as you appear to acknowledge at the end of your sentence. So it hasn't 'turned out' in any way at all. Your problem seems to be not being able to apprehend the meaning of complete sentences - even your own.

"....not being able to apprehend the meaning of complete sentences...." :lol:

Brexit turned out less badly than we thought - says David Cameron - and we haven't even left yet....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42806207

Just saw that on the news.

He's hardly going to say anything different. He's not going to walk around Davos reminding people that he thinks he's fu cked the country up and actually it's all his fault really.

In Davos, and on planet earth, we call that putting a brave face on it.

There are rules for remainers.

1/ if things are going well say "Brexit hasn't happened yet"

2/ if things are going badly say "it's because of Brexit".

3/ hope no one notices the illogical discrepancy in the two statements.

To be fair, 'brexiteers' tend to follow the same rules in reverse...

To be fair, 'brexiteers' tend to follow the same rules in reverse...
Not really,

if things are going bad we tend to say: "yes everybody told us before we voted things might get bad. And the 'bad' we're on isn't anything as bad as the 'bad' they'd said would Happen."

If things are going well we say "we told you so".

Those two statements are perfectly easy to reconcile, unless you're a bit dim.

There have been some negative effects associated with the increase in uncertainty, but we won't know the full effects until we know what type of deal the UK secures.

Thus, if the UK crashes out without a deal onto WTO terms, then the effects will be far more damaging. If the UK stays within the single market and customs union, the negative impact will be much more limited, though less optimal than if the UK had voted to remain. If the UK strikes a deal somewhere in between, then the effects will lie somewhere in between. At the moment, nobody knows what the outcome will be, though an increase in uncertainty -independent of that final outcome is never helpful.

Not rocket science to understand, space cadet.

Edited by shurlock

Borrowing a tweet from @hughrbennett

"A short history of the @CBItweets:

1987: CBI backs ERM membership

1999: CBI backs Euro membership

2016: CBI backs EU membership

2018: CBI backs Customs Union membership

#Peston #wrongthenwrongnow https://t.co/R6KBVNK5Ks"

Good effort from cbi tweeting in the 80’s, clearly they have knowledge ahead of their time!

Good effort from cbi tweeting in the 80’s, clearly they have knowledge ahead of their time!
Unsure of how serious you're being and whether I need to explain the protocol of referring to an organisation by their @ tag to reference them... [emoji848]

"Crashes...." Onto rules we use to trade with the rest of the world.

No we don't. The only countries the UK trades exclusively with on WTO rules are tiny countries such as Cuba and Venezuela. You really need to read more widely and think for yourself.

If not, best stick with the fruit and veg, pal.

Edited by shurlock
Misremembered stat; substance stands.

Here's some material for you locksy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41859691

You'll notice USA is one of the Twenty Four.

Wrong again. That refers only to tariffs. I assume you can read. You do realise that trade and trade facilitation involves far more than tariffs -everything from customs cooperation to mutual recognition of standards.

I trust you read the whole article :lol:

Quite while you're not too far behind, you're embarsssing yourself pal.

Edited by shurlock

Seeing as all countries we deal with through the EU have agreed in principle to continue as we are through the EU until our own bespoke relationships with each country are finalized. There is no issue then....

FYI the EU and the US have nearly 40 bilateral agreements in place -many touching on trade and trade facilitation.

Did I say otherwise? I only said that one possible outcome is that the UK crashes out without a deal (that includes a transitional arrangement) in which case those bilateral agreements would be null and void.

Always happy to help :smug:

Tomorrow, according to BBC sources, David Davis will make clear the UK intends to negotiate and complete trade deals with other countries during the transition, to be ready to sign on the dotted line the moment the transition is over. He's also expected to make plain the UK wants to remain within existing agreements that the EU has stitched together with other countries too.

My good feeling about Brexit just continues to grow...

And the good news continues to roll, here, which allows me to return to the subject matter of the original post on this thread.

Mr Mnuchin said Britain would still be at the "front of the queue" for a bilateral free trade deal following the exit from the European Union. "As soon as the UK is ready we will be prepared to negotiate an attractive trade deal," he told the BBC in Davos.

Tomorrow, according to BBC sources, David Davis will make clear the UK intends to negotiate and complete trade deals with other countries during the transition, to be ready to sign on the dotted line the moment the transition is over. He's also expected to make plain the UK wants to remain within existing agreements that the EU has stitched together with other countries too.

My good feeling about Brexit just continues to grow...

According to the BBC, Davis will say that the "UK wants to be free to negotiate and agree trade deals with other countries during this period".

Not intends but wants. I want to play for Saints; you want to be a successful businessman. Doesn't mean it's going to happen :lol: Especially as the UK, so far, has caved into most EU demands.

As reported on here before, closed the £/$ trade and collected profits ages ago, having largely traded on news. Been playing fracking sand stocks over the last 6 months after fears of oversupply and overcapacity in the sector.

Any news on Grenfell fella?

Edited by shurlock

And the good news continues to roll, here, which allows me to return to the subject matter of the original post on this thread.

Good grief. You must be new to politics.

The most virulently protectionist US administration since before the second world war is promising an 'attractive' trade deal. Two questions:

1. What assumptions are you making about who will benefit from such a deal, negotiated between a strong, protectionist party and a weak one already enfeebled and cowed by the mere prospect of Brexit (down by the tune of £300 million a week according to IFS).

2. What's happened since Trump took over to other trade deals - like TTIP, TPP, NAFTA?

See a pattern?

Lol. Perhaps it is only 2 and The BBC got it wrong. He did seem rather sure of himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try reading what I said and what the BBC says and doesn't say pal. To simplify things for you. Only tiny countries trade with the EU on WTO terms alone.

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21731865-practice-almost-no-countries-trade-eu-wto-terms-alone-brexiteers-claim-trade

Edited by shurlock

Good grief. You must be new to politics.

The most virulently protectionist US administration since before the second world war is promising an 'attractive' trade deal. Two questions:

1. What assumptions are you making about who will benefit from such a deal, negotiated between a strong, protectionist party and a weak one already enfeebled and cowed by the mere prospect of Brexit (down by the tune of £300 million a week according to IFS).

2. What's happened since Trump took over to other trade deals - like TTIP, TPP, NAFTA?

See a pattern?

Not much point in argument, only time will tell what the future holds.

A frustrated Merkel took to mocking the PM as she waited for Britain to explain exactly what it wants from the divorce. Speaking with reporters at a World Economic Forum event, Merkel reportedly joked she is locked in a “loop” with the British leader.

Merkel said May keeps asking her to “make me an offer,” according to reports, as the chancellor was asked about post-Brexit ties. ITV News' Robert Peston reported that Merkel said: “But you're leaving - we don't have to make you an offer. Come on, what do you want?”

The room full of journalists reportedly laughed at the mock exchange played out by Merkel.

https://www.rt.com/uk/417292-germany-merkel-brexit-may

A frustrated Merkel took to mocking the PM as she waited for Britain to explain exactly what it wants from the divorce. Speaking with reporters at a World Economic Forum event, Merkel reportedly joked she is locked in a “loop” with the British leader.

Merkel said May keeps asking her to “make me an offer,” according to reports, as the chancellor was asked about post-Brexit ties. ITV News' Robert Peston reported that Merkel said: “But you're leaving - we don't have to make you an offer. Come on, what do you want?”

The room full of journalists reportedly laughed at the mock exchange played out by Merkel.

https://www.rt.com/uk/417292-germany-merkel-brexit-may

An article from Russia Today?

Thanks Locksy
Yes. You should always read from a range of sources, it saves you from embarrassing narrow and uninformed opinions. In this case they simply lifted it from a Robert Peston interview anyway.
Indeed you should. Except RT is a well known propaganda machine. So best to exclude.

Thanks LocksyIndeed you should. Except RT is a well known propaganda machine. So best to exclude.

So is the Express and Mail. You exclude them?

You have to read polemics / propaganda to understand weaknesses in your own beliefs.

Edited by buctootim

So is the Express and Mail. You exclude them?

You have to read polemics / propaganda to understand weaknesses in your own beliefs.

Hardly comparable. Express and mail are adequately balanced by the lefty I and Guardian.

Not much point in argument, only time will tell what the future holds.

I can't forecast what you will weigh in 10 years time but I can predict that if you eat a lot of burgers and don't do any exercise you will weigh more than if you eat healthily and go to the gym

I can't forecast what you will weigh in 10 years time but I can predict that if you eat a lot of burgers and don't do any exercise you will weigh more than if you eat healthily and go to the gym

What if he gets knocked down by a bus walking to the gym?

Yet another nasty little surprise for Brexit jihadists. It seems to have been assumed by May et al that non-EU trading partners would simply be bystanders during the 'transition period' after March 2019. Not so. Chile and South Korea are the first to demand concessions from the UK, or they may reject any rollover of EU trade agreements as they apply to the UK. So that makes it a total of 67 countries - 27 EU and 40 non-EU trading partners - that have to approve the transition period, which itself may severely weaken Britain's trading position - all a taste of things to come.

Those sunny uplands are looking a long way off...

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-trade-partners-object-to-brexit-transition-roll-over/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yet another nasty little surprise for Brexit jihadists. It seems to have been assumed by May et al that non-EU trading partners would simply be bystanders during the 'transition period' after March 2019. Not so. Chile and South Korea are the first to demand concessions from the UK, or they may reject any rollover of EU trade agreements as they apply to the UK. So that makes it a total of 67 countries - 27 EU and 40 non-EU trading partners - that have to approve the transition period, which itself may severely weaken Britain's trading position - all a taste of things to come.

Those sunny uplands are looking a long way off...

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-trade-partners-object-to-brexit-transition-roll-over/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'd be up for giving Chile concessions. Cheaper avocado and grape tariffs for a start as we won't have to worry about Spanish protectionism.

How fantastic and refreshing it will be to choose for ourselves what is beneficial for Britain to accept, or what is not beneficial to decline.

So the DExEU's own impact assessment works adds up to this:

Jihadist (no deal) Brexit: £158 billion loss per year. 2,800,000 fewer jobs.

Trade agreement Brexit: £99 billion loss per year. 1,750,000 fewer jobs.

Soft Brexit (internal market + CU): £39 billion loss per year. 700,000 fewer jobs.

Staying in the EU: 0 loss per year. No impact on jobs.

Madness.

I'd be up for giving Chile concessions. Cheaper avocado and grape tariffs for a start as we won't have to worry about Spanish protectionism.

How fantastic and refreshing it will be to choose for ourselves what is beneficial for Britain to accept, or what is not beneficial to decline.

Jesus wept.

Listening to numbers from people who said we'd be in recession now

Madness.

False.

These are DExEU's impacts. You heard of them? The department responsible for getting us out of the EU. They have never, ever been 'the people' who said we'd be in recession now, whoever they might be.

False.

These are DExEU's impacts. You heard of them? The department responsible for getting us out of the EU. They have never, ever been 'the people' who said we'd be in recession now, whoever they might be.

No it was a "Cross Whitehall briefing" with people who can't make accurate 15 month predictions deciding to come out with even more inaccurate numbers.

Shane Longs shots on goal are more accurate than this trip.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction