• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I find it very strange that people who clearly want what they think is best for their country are called “traitors” by some individuals. 

Another similarity between Trump and our own weirdo:

https://www.axios.com/trump-treason-russia-investigation-new-york-times-e1660029-c73c-4809-8bd5-8988f1ed4fda.html

1 hour ago, Wes Tender said:

remain subjugated as a colony .....

Where are the occupying military or paramilitary garrisons ? Who is our colonial Governor, appointed by the EU ? Where have the dissenters to EU occupation been interned ?

Or are you just posting the usual imflammatory hogwash ?

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Hhmmm.  So, this quote :

Which can be found Here......

Which bit isnt hypothetical 

Which bit of that quote says we should have a Norway status for five years?

As I've said before, those 'pig shit thick' people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ;) 

This bit below piggy. The bit in big clear bold type. You googled, found the quote and still didn't manage to read or process it. Congrats. Breath taking job.  1. Its not hypothetical because its his real view in a real quote about what should happen. 2 He clearly says "five years" thats how 99% of the population would know he meant 'five years'  

The combination of you struggling with what is directly under your nose and Wes gleefully claiming I'd responded to his post when it was clearly marked as Badger's not his is a freaking world wonder.  

The most tragic aspect of the past 4.5 years is that so few people can make a coherent case for Brexit. There is one but none of you, Wes or poison boy boy have any idea what it might be. 

"Frost called for a positive approach to negotiations, and suggested that the UK to adopt a Norway-style transitional arrangement. In that scenario, the UK would remain in the European single market, a free trade agreement between EU countries.

He said: "We should say that we intend, after exit, to retain this status for say five years and to use that period to reflect and if necessary negotiate a Free Trade Agreement like Canada’s, if that is what we want to do, or to keep Norway status if we don’t." "

Edited by buctootim

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

This bit below piggy. The bit in big clear bold type. You googled, found the quote and still didn't manage to read or process it. Congrats. Breath taking job.  1. Its not hypothetical because its his real view in a real quote about what should happen. 2 He clearly says "five years" thats how 99% of the population would know he meant 'five years'  

The combination of you struggling with what is directly under your nose and Wes gleefully claiming I'd responded to his post when it was clearly marked as Badger's not his is a freaking world wonder.  

The most tragic aspect of the past 4.5 years is that so few people can make a coherent case for Brexit. There is one but none of you, Wes or poison boy boy have any idea what it might be. 

Frost called for a positive approach to negotiations, and suggested that the UK to adopt a Norway-style transitional arrangement. In that scenario, the UK would remain in the European single market, a free trade agreement between EU countries.

He said: "We should say that we intend, after exit, to retain this status for say five years and to use that period to reflect and if necessary negotiate a Free Trade Agreement like Canada’s, if that is what we want to do, or to keep Norway status if we don’t." "

I've highlighted all the bits that indicate that Frost's view of the path that he thought we ought to take (all those years ago), were very much predicated on there being more than one path that could be taken. He favoured this path, but soon after came to recognise that it was not viable because of our stated aim to leave the SM and CU.  

2. He clearly says "for say" five years, which to most of the population would mean quite possibly hypothetically up to five years, but maybe not  five years.

I reiterate though, why are you raking over old coals as if you have a mental obsession with it?.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Where are the occupying military or paramilitary garrisons ? Who is our colonial Governor, appointed by the EU ? Where have the dissenters to EU occupation been interned ?

Or are you just posting the usual imflammatory hogwash ?

It's a figure of speech, Badger, like vassal colony. Do you refute that there would be subjugation of the UK if the EU were to have us under the jurisdiction of their court? The colony state bit I pinched from Verhofstadt.

10 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

It's a figure of speech, Badger, like vassal colony. Do you refute that there would be subjugation of the UK if the EU were to have us under the jurisdiction of their court? The colony state bit I pinched from Verhofstadt.

It would not be subjugation if we agree, only if it is forcibly put in place. As usual you are demonstrating a xenophobic personality trait that is unnecessary.

I just read the good news and couldn't wait to share it. The completely hopeless Liz Truss has reached another national trade agreement, this time with Mexico. They are yet another member state that is part of the huge trading block, CPTTP, alongside Singapore, Japan and Vietnam, with whom we also have recent trade agreements. She said that we would seek to join the CPTTP ourselves next year. Great news, eh?

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

"Frost called for a positive approach to negotiations, and suggested that the UK to adopt a Norway-style transitional arrangement. In that scenario, the UK would remain in the European single market, a free trade agreement between EU countries.

Jesus wept! Thicker than a whale omelette!

Let's start with what a 'hypothetical statement' is shall we :

ADJECTIVE
If something is hypothetical, it is based on possible ideas or situations rather than actual ones.
Ed poses a series of hypothetical situations to see what Mitch would be willing to do if he knew no one would find out. 
...a purely hypothetical question. 
hypothetically (hpəθetɪkli  ) ADVERB [usually ADVERB with verb, oft ADVERB adjective]
He was invariably willing to discuss the possibilities hypothetically. 
It bases its figures on what it might, hypothetically, be earning on past investment. 
Hypothetical is also a noun.
Well, at present we won't speculate on hypotheticals. 

You can read more about for yourself here

We should say that we intend, after exit, to retain this status for say five years and to use that period to reflect and if necessary negotiate a Free Trade Agreement like Canada’s, if that is what we want to do

This is the bit that he says, hypothetically, should last for five years.  You can tell this is hypothetical because he says "we should say we intend" and also "for say five years".  Both of these bits are describing something that could happen, but hasn't actually happened.  In this case, that would mean it is not 'real'.  Scenarios like that when they are described and aren't actually 'real' are considered by the entire population (except you), to be 'hypothetical'.

You're obsession with the 'Norway' option is quite staggering given that Barnier ruled it out years ago!

spacer.png

Edited by Weston Super Saint

44 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

I just read the good news and couldn't wait to share it. The completely hopeless Liz Truss has reached another national trade agreement, this time with Mexico. They are yet another member state that is part of the huge trading block, CPTTP, alongside Singapore, Japan and Vietnam, with whom we also have recent trade agreements. She said that we would seek to join the CPTTP ourselves next year. Great news, eh?

So, somebody has finally found a use for Pitcairn Island.

Taken from WIkipedia, so hold your own opinion on it;

The UK government has not produced an impact assessment that explains or quantifies the benefits it expects for the UK economy from accession to CPTPP. As such, it is a matter of dispute in UK as to whether accession is worth pursuing for economic reasons. Farmer, environmental and consumer groups have all raised concerns that the UK government will need to agree to lowering standards on pesticides, pig welfare and food labelling. These concerns have also been raised by the Scottish government.

Frost called for a positive approach to negotiations, and suggested that the UK to adopt a Norway-style transitional arrangement. In that scenario, the UK would remain in the European single market, a free trade agreement between EU countries.

I've highlighted all the bits that indicate that Frost's view of the path that he thought we ought to take (all those years ago), were very much predicated on there being more than one path that could be taken. He favoured this path, but soon after came to recognise that it was not viable because of our stated aim to leave the SM and CU.  

2. He clearly says "for say" five years, which to most of the population would mean quite possibly hypothetically up to five years, but maybe not  five years.

I reiterate though, why are you raking over old coals as if you have a mental obsession with it?.

The point is that the current brexit negotiator warned of the serious consequences of mishandling negotiations and advocated for Norway as a c5yr landing spot. 

Anyhow this is dull for everybody else. Is just say most people on this thread have found you , let’s say , lacking. I’m fine with you and Wes parroting back the things said to you

22 minutes ago, buctootim said:

The point is that the current brexit negotiator warned of the serious consequences of mishandling negotiations and advocated for Norway as a c5yr landing spot. 

Anyhow this is dull for everybody else. Is just say most people on this thread have found you , let’s say , lacking. I’m fine with you and Wes parroting back the things said to you

Norway was an attractive argument to Euro sceptics whilst we were members, because it was a soft exit that then could be converted into a full exit later. When euro scepticism was a minority view, half out was better than in and they thought leaving from Norway was more feasible than straight out. Once the referendum was won however, we’d won the prize we wanted, and fully out was a lot better than half out. 

Norway is being used by remainers in exactly the same way. They advocate Norway because Norway then back in, is probably more sellable than out, straight back in. I read somewhere that Norway is Norway (in a Norway/EU way) because this was the Norwegian establishments way of getting in. Knowing the population were euro sceptical, they wanted a very close relationship that could then be converted to full membership. Unfortunately for them the Norwegians like the Norway option and twice voted No. 

If everyone was honest with themselves, Norway is just a means to an end for both sides of the debate. 

2 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

She did really well with Japan. If we'd stayed in the EU the Government reckoned that our GDP would have benefited by £2.6 billion over 15 years (using the EU-Japan deal). 

The new deal will increase GDP by £1.5 billion over the same period. So a loss of £1.1 billion.

Also we wanted quotas on some agricultural products to have lower tariffs. The EU already has them. Japan has said we can have any quotas that are left over if the EU doesn't use all of them. 

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Norway was an attractive argument to Euro sceptics whilst we were members, because it was a soft exit that then could be converted into a full exit later. When euro scepticism was a minority view, half out was better than in and they thought leaving from Norway was more feasible than straight out. Once the referendum was won however, we’d won the prize we wanted, and fully out was a lot better than half out. 

Norway is being used by remainers in exactly the same way. They advocate Norway because Norway then back in, is probably more sellable than out, straight back in. I read somewhere that Norway is Norway (in a Norway/EU way) because this was the Norwegian establishments way of getting in. Knowing the population were euro sceptical, they wanted a very close relationship that could then be converted to full membership. Unfortunately for them the Norwegians like the Norway option and twice voted No. 

If everyone was honest with themselves, Norway is just a means to an end for both sides of the debate. 

Yep thats fair. Largely wouldn't disagree. 

The only point I'd make is that easing yourself out into a halfway house, seeing how the land lies and making a next steps decision a few years later has a lot of benefits rather than cannonballing into the unknown.  Notably it wouldnt have divided the population as has happened now, it would maintained a perception of stable business friendly government and decisions would be on real experience rather than predictions. Also it would have actually been faster - we could have been out on Norway terms a couple of years ago.        

35 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

She did really well with Japan. If we'd stayed in the EU the Government reckoned that our GDP would have benefited by £2.6 billion over 15 years (using the EU-Japan deal). 

The new deal will increase GDP by £1.5 billion over the same period. So a loss of £1.1 billion.

Also we wanted quotas on some agricultural products to have lower tariffs. The EU already has them. Japan has said we can have any quotas that are left over if the EU doesn't use all of them. 

As Wes said, "the completely hopeless Liz Truss".

44 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

I believe that all of these deals were substantially rolling over the EU deals and that in the New Year, we will work on improving them over what the EU had. So a bit premature to talk in terms of comparisons on projections at this stage, isn't it? When you say "the Government reckoned", you mean the Treasury, I presume. They have reckoned a lot that proved to be wrong during the past few years. And forecasts for periods like 15 years are as worthless as long range weather forecasts.

12 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

As Wes said, "the completely hopeless Liz Truss".

I expect that you were one of those who predicted that she wouldn't have managed to get half of that lot done. I didn't expect you to give her any credit, but many commentators have been impressed by her achievements, though not the remoaner media of course.

54 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Yep thats fair. Largely wouldn't disagree. 

The only point I'd make is that easing yourself out into a halfway house, seeing how the land lies and making a next steps decision a few years later has a lot of benefits rather than cannonballing into the unknown.  Notably it wouldnt have divided the population as has happened now, it would maintained a perception of stable business friendly government and decisions would be on real experience rather than predictions. Also it would have actually been faster - we could have been out on Norway terms a couple of years ago.        

Looks good on paper & would probably be better, but the climate was totally different 2 years ago. With Boris in charge of an 80 seat majority, brought about by his Brexit position, we can be confident Norway then out will be just that. Whilst May was in charge, Bercow, Grievence, Miller, etc playing silly buggers Norway wouldn’t necessarily have meant out. It took the thrashing of second referendum/revoke side to make this plausible, and by then it was too late. You can’t run a “get Brexit done” campaign & then give the people Norway even if it meant out eventually. Nigel would have had a field day. 

Funnily enough  Peter Hitchens has been advocating this position from the day Cameron called the referendum, and remain Wokies hate him. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Looks good on paper & would probably be better, but the climate was totally different 2 years ago. With Boris in charge of an 80 seat majority, brought about by his Brexit position, we can be confident Norway then out will be just that. Whilst May was in charge, Bercow, Grievence, Miller, etc playing silly buggers Norway wouldn’t necessarily have meant out. It took the thrashing of second referendum/revoke side to make this plausible, and by then it was too late. 

While Timmy is boring everybody with his Norway obsession, Norway itself is tiring of the Norway option and looks to be seeking to change it to a proper FTA.😃

38 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

I expect that you were one of those who predicted that she wouldn't have managed to get half of that lot done. I didn't expect you to give her any credit, but many commentators have been impressed by her achievements, though not the remoaner media of course.

How difficult is it to sit down with an existing agreement and say "Let us for now carry on as we are ?". And you are correct, I don't give many of the Cabinet much credit for anything.  Nothing to do with Leave / Remain, I just think they are a limited bunch put in place despite rather than because of their abilities. Sunak is probably the most capable, but he hasn't brought much baggage with him from previous administrations.

Edited by badgerx16

54 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Looks good on paper & would probably be better, but the climate was totally different 2 years ago. With Boris in charge of an 80 seat majority, brought about by his Brexit position, we can be confident Norway then out will be just that. Whilst May was in charge, Bercow, Grievence, Miller, etc playing silly buggers Norway wouldn’t necessarily have meant out. It took the thrashing of second referendum/revoke side to make this plausible, and by then it was too late. You can’t run a “get Brexit done” campaign & then give the people Norway even if it meant out eventually. Nigel would have had a field day. 

Funnily enough  Peter Hitchens has been advocating this position from the day Cameron called the referendum, and remain Wokies hate him. 

Maybe so. But you cant predict anything five years ahead in politics. Even if May had delivered a Norway Brexit she never came across as a confident PM - so either she would have been deposed and we might have still got Boris or maybe she would have stuck it out and either lost at a GE or somehow got a new mandate.

Regardless of whether you think no deal is good or bad most people think the process has been a shambles. Two weeks away from January 1st and nobody in business knows what they're supposed to be doing. Customs isnt ready, infrastructure at Dover isnt ready. Britain's image has taken a real hammering and long term I think that will do more damage than being in or out.     

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, buctootim said:

But you cant predict anything five years ahead in politics.

Britain's image has taken a real hammering and long term I think that will do more damage than being in or out.     

I predict that the EU won't exist in this current form in a decade.

On 14/12/2020 at 10:58, Guided Missile said:

Forgive me, but you're the one that doesn't make any sense. What sums me up to a tee is "A patriot can criticise his country, stay with it, and goes through the democratic process." You might remember that we participated in a "democratic process" in respect to exiting the EU and having gone through that "democratic process". 

I, like many others are "staying with it". Too many liberals and socialists like to spend our tax money, while trying to subvert our democratic will, much like the EU. Just ask poor tiny Greece about playground bullies, who are our real enemies. Anyway, you, and many like you, will be left in the dust, while inevitably there will be cross party support for whatever, if anything, Boris extracts from the EU. Like the Liberal Democrats "Bollocks to Brexit" election slogan, your whining will look as out of touch with the majority of the voters in the country and you'll resort, like the rest of the traitors on this thread, to empty insults as our country rapidly grows and our early approval of the vaccine, unlike the  European Medicines Agency, saves lives and businesses.

Boris continues to play a blinder...

“All in all, the German vaccination nonsense will cost around 15,000 lives,” Prof Paul Welfens, an economist at Wuppertal university, told Bild. He accused Mrs Merkel’s government of a “strangely arrogant” policy in refusing to approve the vaccine weeks after the UK.

The EU is taking so long because the EMA is obliged to go through standard procedures. 

Merkel leads Germany as if it's East Germany and the rest of the EU sheep follow her.  

All together now...

Who Do You Think You Are Kidding von der Leyen
If You Think We're On The Run?
We Are The Boys Who Will Stop Your Little Game
We Are The Boys Who Will Make You Think Again
'Cause Who Do You Think You Are Kidding von der Leyen
If You Think Old England's Done?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Full on Federa! Europe it is then.

Au contraire. My prediction is that the Euro will not survive as it is, if at all. It would make sense if there were two Euro rates, one for the Northern economies and one for the South and the Eastern European states. The Italians and French and maybe one or two of the Eastern European members will probably vote in referenda to leave the EU, which will then revert back to being purely a trading bloc without any federal agenda, the Common Market mark 2.

54 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Merkel leads Germany as if it's East Germany and the rest of the EU sheep follow her.  

All together now...

Who Do You Think You Are Kidding von der Leyen
If You Think We're On The Run?
We Are The Boys Who Will Stop Your Little Game
We Are The Boys Who Will Make You Think Again
'Cause Who Do You Think You Are Kidding von der Leyen
If You Think Old England's Done?

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Both sides still talking.

Maybe that's the cunning plan after all - keep running down the clock, get the ball down in the corner flag and play for extra time..."We did try our best, guv"🤣

But there won't be any extra time. If we're not agreed on a FTA with the EU before 31st December, then it's WTO. If a deal is agreed before that deadline, then by all means a very short period of time should be allocated in order that Parliament be allowed to scrutinise it thoroughly in case the devious EU have attempted to bury detrimental legal clauses in the hundreds of pages of text.

13 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

But there won't be any extra time. If we're not agreed on a FTA with the EU before 31st December, then it's WTO. If a deal is agreed before that deadline, then by all means a very short period of time should be allocated in order that Parliament be allowed to scrutinise it thoroughly in case the devious EU have attempted to bury detrimental legal clauses in the hundreds of pages of text.

There is no definitive answer on what happens at 11pm on 31 December if both sides continue to talk. Negotiations would neither have failed nor succeeded. One for the legal beagles tbh...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

There is no definitive answer on what happens at 11pm on 31 December if both sides continue to talk. Negotiations would neither have failed nor succeeded. One for the legal beagles tbh...

I disagree. Of course I am no legal expert, but as I see it, we passed a law stating that the Implementation/Transition Period of the Withdrawal Agreement would not be extended beyond 31st December, so if a deal has not been agreed with the EU before then, we become a third country and legally we will be out on WTO terms. Just continuing to talk doesn't cancel that. If a deal has been agreed before then it would be different, but as I say, there will be intense pressure on the Government to allow the House and legal experts to scrutinise the terms of that agreement to ensure that there are no EU traps tying us to their regime in perpetuity. Rather than risk widespread condemnation of any part of it from sections of the Party and from Farage, it would be sensible to put in some sort of safeguard, perhaps a sunset clause, before it is ratified. 

3 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

Too many liberals and socialists like to spend our tax money

Which bits of your tax money do the  liberals and socialists waste then. Maybe the NHS for example? Perhaps a well funded public education system? Mitigation of climate change? A benefits system to support those worst off in society? Go on fill your boots and show your true colours.

Just now, Winnersaint said:

Which bits of your tax money do the  liberals and socialists waste then. Maybe the NHS for example? Perhaps a well funded public education system? Mitigation of climate change? A benefits system to support those worst off in society? Go on fill your boots and show your true colours.

John does not subscribe to the Climate Change scam.

39 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

More fuckwittery. The Taxpayers Alliance release didnt say the quangos should not be funded, simply there should be a better balance of political leadership - essentially more Tories. At one time it was complicated concepts you couldn't understand. Now its just comprehending plain English.    

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, buctootim said:

More fuckwittery. The Taxpayers Alliance release didnt say the quangos should not be funded, simply there should be a better balance of political leadership - essentially more Tories. At one time it was complicated concepts you couldn't understand. Now its just comprehending plain English.    

*yawn* I thought that you weren't going to respond to my posts.

You obviously didn't delve very deep beneath the surface. I only gave the link to that particular Taxpayers Alliance campaign in order that you could use your usual forensic examination of the various links it gave to other information resources it provided.  Whilst you were on their site, open your mind by having a little light reading of other campaigns by them about the waste of taxpayers' monies and who the main culprits were. No criticism of the other two links then? Naturally there are dozens of other links I could have provided to articles exposing the waste of Taxpayers' monies on leftie waste; a quick Google turns up pages of the stuff, which rather makes winnersaint look a bit foolish.

20 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

No criticism of the other two links then? 

Lol all three were about the same Taxpayers Alliance campaign ffs. It was even the same guy writing the article in Conservative home as wrote the Taxpayers report PR release. I'm going to stop mocking you because I think you have a genuine medical issue.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Three letters, mate. BBC

Yes. A giant asteroid could strike the Earth and the resulting dust cloud would obscure the sun for a couple of years, killing most of the population by various means.

Don't change the subject.

You said that 15-year forecasts were useless. Using your impressive academic qualifications and access to sophisticated computer modelling, what do you think will happen?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction