• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Perhaps the most amazing thing about Brexit  four and a half years after the vote, is that no clear benefits have emerged, but the majority of people who voted for it are still willing to go along with it. Clearly, these people are suffering from abject denial.

27 minutes ago, John B said:

Perhaps the most amazing thing about Brexit  four and a half years after the vote, is that no clear benefits have emerged, but the majority of people who voted for it are still willing to go along with it. Clearly, these people are suffering from abject denial.

No, we were able to authorise the CoViD vaccine 2 weeks before the EU. 🙂

Edited by badgerx16

28 minutes ago, John B said:

The fact that you're still upset about it is enough for me :D 

4 hours ago, John B said:

No. The most amazing thing is people like you unable to get over it.

Instead of constantly crying about be, be like Nigel and the other heroes who fought for years to change the public’s mind. Alternatively you could do fuck all about it except moan and insult people with different views. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, John B said:

Perhaps the most amazing thing about Brexit  four and a half years after the vote, is that no clear benefits have emerged, but the majority of people who voted for it are still willing to go along with it.

Most people now think it was the wrong decision.

The TImes YouGov poll in November showed 38% thinking that it was the right decision and 51% the wrong decision. 

Only 4% think that the Government are handling things "very well" with 56% thinking that they are handling it "fairly badly" or "very badly".

27 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Most people now think it was the wrong decision.

The TImes YouGov poll in November showed 38% thinking that it was the right decision and 51% the wrong decision. 

Only 4% think that the Government are handling things "very well" with 56% thinking that they are handling it "fairly badly" or "very badly".

51% to 40% at the most recent poll but ever since July 2017 there has been a slow increase in Brexit regret. 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/12/22/transition-period-almost-over-51-40-britons-think-

8 hours ago, buctootim said:

51% to 40% at the most recent poll but ever since July 2017 there has been a slow increase in Brexit regret. 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/12/22/transition-period-almost-over-51-40-britons-think-

These are the stats that they use https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/r91z21479b/EuTracker_RemainLeave.pdf

Looks like the sample size for both leave and remain is a mere 100 people.  

8 hours ago, buctootim said:

Anecdotally I've found it much higher than that. I only know a handful of leave voters amongst many many people who still believe leave is the right thing to do. Most, myself included, now see it as a mistake.

That said, we (I)voted for it and whilst it's easy to blame the spin etc, we are where we are. Hopefully we can avoid WTO terms as the tariffs and the inevitable inflation increase will hit our economy hard. 

Putting aside the merits of leaving, it's been badly handled. It was obvious from day 1 that a deal wouldn't be easy, and it's come down to the best card up Boris's sleeve being access to our waters / fish. Brinkmanship on that point is daft, particularly as we don't have the industry and infrastructure to catch more fish, and without a deal with the EU, no market for selling it anyway.

Edited by egg

1 hour ago, egg said:

Putting aside the merits of leaving, it's been badly handled. It was obvious from day 1 that a deal wouldn't be easy...

This puts me in mind of something I saw posted somewhere recently - the Brexit Paradox:

Any government with the required degree of competence and intellect to actually enact Brexit properly, wouldn't.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, John B said:

The most amazing thing is that people like you are still bleating about it like spoilt little brats who have thrown their rattle out of their pram. You lot are the ones in abject denial; denial of the democratic decision in the referendum. You're not that twat who still parades around Westminster in his stupid hat waving his little EU banners, are you?

No clear benefits have emerged? Have you been remotely isolated on a desert island? Although we have not yet left the Implementation Period of the Withdrawal Agreement, so that some of the changes cannot come into effect until 1st January, we have already put in place several trade deals around the World, which of course we were not permitted to do as a member state of the EU. Plans are underway to open several Freeports around the country to boost investment in deprived economic areas. We have control of our own borders and immigration policy, so instead of anybody being allowed to flood in to the UK from anywhere in the EU, we can now allow only those we invite based on their talents and our needs. We will be able to set our own taxation regime with Corporation Tax and VAT at levels to increase our competitiveness.

Of course, much depends on whether there is a FTA agreed with the EU within the next few days to gain some clarity towards other areas such as fisheries. But finally the penny has dropped that our coastal waters are ours, freed from the ridiculous, wasteful CFP, so naturally that is a clear benefit too. Ultimately though, if there were no clear benefits from leaving, why on earth would the EU try to punish us, afraid that we will make a rip roaring success of it and becoming a major competitor on their doorstep? Why are other member states contemplating leaving the EU? As usual, you blinkered remoaners only see one side of the debate, the EU side, and ignore any positives from leaving it.

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This puts me in mind of something I saw posted somewhere recently - the Brexit Paradox:

Any government with the required degree of competence and intellect to actually enact Brexit properly, wouldn't.

The EU paradox; if it was run efficiently with real benefits equally distributed to all member states, nobody would wish to leave it.

14 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

we have already put in place several trade deals around the World, which of course we were not permitted to do as a member state of the EU.

You mean like the one with Japan? The one that the terminally dim Liz Truss has negotiated that will leave us worse off than if we had just rolled over the provisions in the EU-Japan deal?

Sorry, you're going to have to explain to me how that qualifies as a 'clear benefit' of leaving the EU.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You mean, they would have granted the EU nearly everything they wanted?

or when you “enact BREXIT properly”, you mean immediately left on WTO rules?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

No, I mean they would recognise what a terrible idea it is and choose not to do it at all.

Naturally it's only incompetent thickos who would vote for Brexit, isn't it? Anybody with a scintilla of intelligence would have voted to stay in the failing, over-bureaucratic protectionist cartel as a colony. It sill doesn't register that it is precisely this arrogant attitude displayed by the establishment that ensured the vote to leave the EU.

2 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

Naturally it's only incompetent thickos who would vote for Brexit, isn't it? Anybody with a scintilla of intelligence would have voted to stay in the failing, over-bureaucratic protectionist cartel as a colony. It sill doesn't register that it is precisely this arrogant attitude displayed by the establishment that ensured the vote to leave the EU.

I'm not talking about the people who voted for it. I'm talking about the people charged with carrying it out.

In order to "get Brexit done", the ERG extremists had to seize control of the party by purging all of the more moderate and intelligent MPs. Thus we are left with pinning all our hopes of a decent exit deal on the likes of Johnson, Truss, Gove, Raab, Davis et. al. None of whom are in post for any level of aptitude for their role, but solely because they are loyal to the cult of Brexit and will simply do what they are told.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm not talking about the people who voted for it. I'm talking about the people charged with carrying it out.

In order to "get Brexit done", the ERG extremists had to seize control of the party by purging all of the more moderate and intelligent MPs. Thus we are left with pinning all our hopes of a decent exit deal on the likes of Johnson, Truss, Gove, Raab, Davis et. al. None of whom are in post for any level of aptitude for their role, but solely because they are loyal to the cult of Brexit and will simply do what they are told.

but getting brexit done was why they won the GE, no deal or good deal was what we was told during the campain.. so no, they are doing what the country voted them in power to do.

8 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

protectionist cartel

That’s where your argument doesn’t make sense. One minute you call it a protectionist cartel, next minute you expect us to be free from their regulations and be able to undercut them and keep free access to their market. You can’t have it both ways.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And let us also celebrate the termination of the Parliamentary careers of all those turncoats who did their best to derail Brexit, and overturn the democratic referendum vote of the electorate, including the Rogue remoaner Speaker, who allowed Parliamentary procedure to be taken over by MPs in a series of constitutional outrages. Naturally what you consider as a remoaner to be the extremists and who were the intelligent and moderate MPs is the polar opposite of what I would believe.

The balance in the Cabinet under Boris is simply the natural reversal of the situation under the useless May, who was a remoaner, packed her cabinet with remoaners, and appointed a remoaner negotiator thus weakening our hand with the EU to the point of farcical incompetence.

But that is now all history and no point in dredging it all up ad nauseum now. We are where we are, days away from exiting the Withdrawal Agreement period, with or without a FTA with the EU. Despite your disparaging opinions about the Cabinet, it is one appointed by the democratic process of the UK. I accept though that you don't really like the plebs having the power to vote for what they want unless it is also what you want.

37 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

You forgot sclerotic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

And let us also celebrate the termination of the Parliamentary careers of all those turncoats who did their best to derail Brexit, and overturn the democratic referendum vote of the electorate, including the Rogue remoaner Speaker, who allowed Parliamentary procedure to be taken over by MPs in a series of constitutional outrages. Naturally what you consider as a remoaner to be the extremists and who were the intelligent and moderate MPs is the polar opposite of what I would believe.

The balance in the Cabinet under Boris is simply the natural reversal of the situation under the useless May, who was a remoaner, packed her cabinet with remoaners, and appointed a remoaner negotiator thus weakening our hand with the EU to the point of farcical incompetence.

But that is now all history and no point in dredging it all up ad nauseum now. We are where we are, days away from exiting the Withdrawal Agreement period, with or without a FTA with the EU. Despite your disparaging opinions about the Cabinet, it is one appointed by the democratic process of the UK. I accept though that you don't really like the plebs having the power to vote for what they want unless it is also what you want.

I think you know full well that is not how cabinet appointments work, and they have nothing to do with democracy.

Case in point - Zac Goldsmith lost his seat at the last election. So what did Johnson do? He made him a lord instead and parachuted him back into his post as an environment minister despite his constituents deciding they didn't want him in that role anymore. Why? Because he's a loyal Brexiteer.

What is democratic about that?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

The most amazing thing is that people like you are still bleating about it like spoilt little brats who have thrown their rattle out of their pram.

You do realise that in a free democratic society people can still voice disagreement with a democratic decision and, get this, can still campaign against it if they want.

Call it bleating on, toy's out of the pram or what ever pejorative term but people have this rght and you just have to suck it up and let your agrument stand up for itself.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You do realise that in a free democratic society people can still voice disagreement with a democratic decision and, get this, can still campaign against it if they want.

Call it bleating on, toy's out of the pram or what ever pejorative term but people have this rght and you just have to suck it up and let your agrument stand up for itself.

No don't  you realise? Anyone who disagres with Brexit is a traitor. Fuckwit Missile said so. He is never wrong. Deutsche Bank have gone bust and the EU has disintegrated  - just as he said that they would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

In order to "get Brexit done", the ERG extremists had to seize control of the party by purging all of the more moderate and intelligent MPs.

What a load  of old pony. 

The voters gave this Brexit a mandate, they wanted this. The “moderate & intelligent” that were thrown out of the party were purged by the electorate, not The ERG. 

At the last election there were plenty of remain options; Chucka & his band of “moderate & intelligent” sitting MPs, independent remain sitting mps like Gauke, Grievence etc, Sugar tits and her revoking Lib Dem’s, Corbyn with Sir Kiers second referendum policy, even Lucas and her loons. All remain. And what happened, the slaughter of remain. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load  of old pony. 

The voters gave this Brexit a mandate, they wanted this. The “moderate & intelligent” that were thrown out of the party were purged by the electorate, not The ERG. 

At the last election there were plenty of remain options; Chucka & his band of “moderate & intelligent” sitting MPs, independent remain sitting mps like Gauke, Grievence etc, Sugar tits and her revoking Lib Dem’s, Corbyn with Sir Kiers second referendum policy, even Lucas and her loons. All remain. And what happened, the slaughter of remain. 

And yet that lot combined got a larger share of the popular vote than the Tories and Brexit party did.

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And yet that lot combined got a larger share of the popular vote than the Tories and Brexit party did.

What’s that got to do with anything? You lost the binary vote 3 years prior. 2019 the British people decided which mps they wanted to represent them and the “moderate & intelligent “ ones got routed. They were sitting mps, people looked at their Brexit record and decided “no thanks”. 

The great thing about it was kicking the Remoaners out, was it  helped Boris show how determined he was to Brexit. Despite the crying and moaning, putting the boot into them, helped deliver his majority. And to think they could have walked away with May’s BRINO, horrendous miscalculation and misunderstanding of the great British public. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What’s that got to do with anything? You lost the binary vote 3 years prior. 2019 the British people decided which mps they wanted to represent them and the “moderate & intelligent “ ones got routed. They were sitting mps, people looked at their Brexit record and decided “no thanks”. 

Like Zac Goldsmith?

Alistair Campbell isnt happy lol

"It is not a good sign, waking before 4am, thinking of lorry drivers, then muttering the C-word to myself as the thought of that blonde-haired, grinning, smirking, clueless clown comes into mind. I was even dreaming of the chaos the blonde-haired, grinning, smirking, clueless clown had created. That is not a good sign either.

I was on the other side of the Channel – chance would be a fine thing – and we were driving towards the Eurotunnel. The dog was in the back of the car and as we turned off to the Pet Passport centre, we couldn’t get through because of a chaotic mix of out of control police wielding batons, refugees in rags trying to board lorries, all around them piles and piles of rotting fruit and vegetables, children crying, dogs barking.

Words alone fail to convey the dystopian hell of it all, but at least I knew why I woke up with the clock at 3.54am, and uttered my first expletive of the day by 3.55am.

It’s not just the blonde-haired, grinning, smirking, clueless clown. What about the bullying one in charge of policing who yesterday took to the airwaves to deliver the blinding insight that ‘police are very important to policing’, that ‘lorries aren’t static’ when they are delivering goods, and maintained the government had always been ‘ahead of the curve’ in its handling of Covid?

What about the Frank Spencer one we are meant to take seriously as Education Secretary? Or the one who when Brexit Secretary spoke of discovering the importance of the Calais-Dover route as though he had just seen an apple fall from a tree and muttered ‘Eureka … gravity?’ And now he is Foreign Secretary, or ‘whatsisname,’ as his counterparts call him.

Kent, the garden of England, where you’re less likely to see an apple falling than another lorry pulling into a disused airfield.  An airfield that the Kent-residing nicotine-stained man-frog who played a big role in the campaign to get us out of Europe fought to be re-opened.

Kent, on whose coast and in whose hotels the nicotine-stained man-frog has spent much of the year filming tiny numbers of refugees and asylum seekers, but who is yet to take his home-movie equipment to Manston, to film the thousands – or 170 as the blonde-haired, grinning, smirking, clueless clown put it – of foreigners desperately trying to go in the opposite direction to the nicotine-stained man-frog’s ‘Armada’." 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/alastair-campbell-boris-johnson-c-23211126

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Interesting. Your argument here is that Brexit is being enacted by the very people the voters chose to represent them.

Except when they didn't, of course.

What on earth are you on about?

The voters decided who they wanted to represent them, the voters of Zac Goldsmiths constituency decided they didn’t want him to. Unfortunately for you, more constituencies decided they wanted Brexit than they wanted to remain. Hence, we left. That’s democracy for you. 

After we lost the first referendum, people like Nigel formed together, sacrificed a lot, argued their case and eventually persuaded the country round to their way of thinking. They didn’t just whinge about it on a football forum and insult everyone who voted the other way. They set about successfully changing the public minds. Be like Nigel......

*yawn* A little rant from arch remoaner-in-chief Alastair Campbell, a map from Timmy demonstrating that we do more trade with the rest of the World than we do with the EU and Timmy's additional filched poster which all the lefties will be pleased to be reminded of, that originally stated that "Labour isn't working" Equally of course, it would more appropriately say "The EU isn't working" bearing in mind the unemployment levels particularly among the young in the Southern European member Mediterranean states.

As 31st approaches, the bitterness of the remoaners grows into a crescendo.

38 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

*yawn* A little rant from arch remoaner-in-chief Alastair Campbell, a map from Timmy demonstrating that we do more trade with the rest of the World than we do with the EU and Timmy's additional filched poster which all the lefties will be pleased to be reminded of, that originally stated that "Labour isn't working" Equally of course, it would more appropriately say "The EU isn't working" bearing in mind the unemployment levels particularly among the young in the Southern European member Mediterranean states.

As 31st approaches, the bitterness of the remoaners grows into a crescendo.

We're still in Europe.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction