• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

43 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's the only possible conclusion that can be drawn really.  Four and a half years of negotiations, elections, law making and lots of cross channel visits, but in the end it is all completely ruined with less than three weeks to go, because Boris cracked a shit joke and looked scruffy (which is his 'trademark' anyway isn't it?) :mcinnes:

It astonishes me that there are still people who support Brexit, I understood how people were fooled into initially supporting it but now we have had four years in which the truth has emerged. Why do they still refuse to see the reality ?

35 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's the only possible conclusion that can be drawn really.  Four and a half years of negotiations, elections, law making and lots of cross channel visits, but in the end it is all completely ruined with less than three weeks to go, because Boris cracked a shit joke and looked scruffy (which is his 'trademark' anyway isn't it?) :mcinnes:

I don't know how he managed to keep his sense of humour. Who do these unelected, no-mark, arrogant, sniffy bureaucrats think they are? I can tell you who they aren't. Democratically elected representatives of the 5th largest economy in the world, that who. A country that used its democratic right, to vote to leave their protectionist club to strike out on its own. Boris is our PM and I'll bet that the majority of the country is behind him all the way. Imagine if we had a referendum to re-join the EU? I bet a pound to a pinch of shit it would be a landslide to stay on the side line and watch the EU go the way of the USSR. In fact, I will particularly enjoy watching Ireland economy go down the shitter and Italy shaft Germany big time.      

Just now, John B said:

It astonishes me that there are still people who support Brexit, I understood how people were fooled into initially supporting it but now we have had four years in which the truth has emerged. Why do they still refuse to see the reality ?

We leave on January 1st, 2021, mate. We've had 4 years to see that the EU really only wanted to inflict a punishment beating on us. Germany printing money to feed to bankrupt countries to buy their goods. That's the reality.  

10 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

I don't know how he managed to keep his sense of humour. Who do these unelected, no-mark, arrogant, sniffy bureaucrats think they are? I can tell you who they aren't. Democratically elected representatives of the 5th largest economy in the world, that who. A country that used its democratic right, to vote to leave their protectionist club to strike out on its own. Boris is our PM and I'll bet that the majority of the country is behind him all the way. Imagine if we had a referendum to re-join the EU? I bet a pound to a pinch of shit it would be a landslide to stay on the side line and watch the EU go the way of the USSR. In fact, I will particularly enjoy watching Ireland economy go down the shitter and Italy shaft Germany big time.      

You really are an arrogant shit for brains aren't you? You keep on making predictions  but none of them ever come true. Tell me when exactly did Deutsche Bank go bust? A word of advice - never go into a bookmakers.

Oh sorry I forgot. You cannot read this as you live in your own little bubble and have most of the posters on this forum on ignore. Never mind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, John B said:

Because humans have this curious tendency to go to extreme lengths to avoid ever having to admit they might have been wrong about something.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Eo71AXFW4AElKOy?format=jpg&name=small

Well done Boris. So the EU side thought that he had gone there to make peace, eh? Or did they believe that we would roll over and accede to their demands that we allow them to carry on fishing our territorial waters as if we were still under the CFP? Allow them to dictate how we should govern ourselves overseen by the jurisdiction of their law court? Despite this summary being third hand, and therefore probably spun to create mischief, there are elements of it that inspire confidence in Boris from the Brexiteer perspective. Yes, Barnier has been ineffective in getting an agreement between the UK and the EU over a four and a half year period, although he came close to getting a complete cave-in from us under the hapless May and the incompetent Robbins. How the EU must be kicking themselves that they didn't accept that arrangement. Is it an unreasonable request that if Barnier isn't capable of getting a deal done, that Boris might wish to deal with the organ-grinder instead of the monkey? Is it an unreasonable assumption that Barnier being French, he will have a bias favouring the nation of his birth in the negotiations? Boris is called arrogant, but it seems that Macron is a model of self-effacing modesty. And what bluff was it from Boris that VDL called? What fresh proposals were they expecting from Boris? That he cave in on all their demands? The main benefit from the face to face talks is that it has now become crystal clear to the President of the EU that our negotiator Lord Frost's negotiating position was also completely in accord with the mandate given to him from the UK government. Perhaps the penny will finally have dropped that we will not allow our three red lines to be breached and that if the EU want a deal with us, it is they who will have to drop their demands in those three areas.

So Boris being Boris upset the EU side at the dinner with a bit of light-hearted banter, and should have realised that the Germans especially lack a sense of humour. If the EU were caused offence, then they should ponder the numerous incidents of offence that they caused since we voted to leave, disrespecting May at every opportunity, the insult to Boris being forced to speak next to a baying crowd by the Luxembourg PM, their jolly little japes involving cherries on cakes, etc. Some of the media even believe that the serving of fish for both of the first two courses was a deliberate act of mischief, although I don't think that it would have been given any offence to our side. 

27 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

We leave on January 1st, 2021, mate. We've had 4 years to see that the EU really only wanted to inflict a punishment beating on us. Germany printing money to feed to bankrupt countries to buy their goods. That's the reality.  

We left on 31st Jan 2020. The transition period ends on 31st December 2020. Not like you to get that wrong. 😉

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

So Boris being Boris upset the EU side at the dinner with a bit of light-hearted banter, and should have realised that the Germans especially lack a sense of humour. 

Jesus fucking Christ!

This is international diplomacy, the outcome of which will have extreme and lasting effects on the future prosperity of our country, not a high-school debating society FFS.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Jesus fucking Christ!

This is international diplomacy, the outcome of which will have extreme and lasting effects on the future prosperity of our country, not a high-school debating society FFS.

Wes lives by a simple Orwellian creed; UK good EU bad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John B said:

What is even more astonishing, is that there is such a substantial number of people who still persist in belly-aching, bitching, whining about how unfair it all is that they lost the referendum vote, despite all the best efforts of the establishment with all the money they threw at project fear. Having witnessed the way that the EU have reacted towards us over the past four and a half years with their desire to punish us for having the audacity to leave their cosy cartel, it is not surprising that many who voted to remain in the referendum have now changed their minds since. The sensible ones will have accepted the position that we are now in, and wish the UK the best for our future, but there is a fifth column who only desire failure so that their petty little minds can crow about how right they were to predict failure.

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Jesus fucking Christ!

Completely agree and the EU continue to try and bully us, all they have to do is agree that our fishing waters are ours and we're in control of them and that any rules and laws we wish to make are made by us and not them, you know like any other democratic country in the world.  But no like some Stalinist era bloc they continue with the belief that they control countries around them.  Good for Johnson I say, we've had enough of the grandstanding by the French and Barnier

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Jesus fucking Christ!

As I said, you place reliance on a third-hand account of events from somebody who was not even in attendance and who is unlikely to be impartial about their report on events. I read several reports online from MEPs who are disparaging about how the EU are wrong to treat us with such disrespect and arrogance. The fact that you place such credence on such reports suggests that you are perhaps the fourth form debater.

9 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

As I said, you place reliance on a third-hand account of events from somebody who was not even in attendance and who is unlikely to be impartial about their report on events. I read several reports online from MEPs who are disparaging about how the EU are wrong to treat us with such disrespect and arrogance. The fact that you place such credence on such reports suggests that you are perhaps the fourth form debater.

I very clearly added (indeed, started with) the caveat that it was not necessarily a reliable source of information. But come on Wes, it is entirely consistent with everything we know about Johnson's character and how he goes about his business.

Ursula von der Leyen reminds Boris Johnson to maintain social distancing  ahead of Brexit dinner | Evening Standard

Look at the fucking state of him. His body language speaks volumes - he acts like a naughty schoolboy who is convinced he's going to be caught out for something at any moment. 

Is this really the man on whom you are pinning all your hopes to secure the best possible future for the UK? He's an utter embarrassment.

• Like 2

Did anyone watch Question Time last night?
One of the panel was Malcolm Turnbull ex PM of Australia.
Thought he spoke very well.
Couple of things:
1. He thought the 'Australia' deal was not that great a deal for us, which surprised me as it is being promoted as something quite acceptable.
2. He also pointed out that in any trade negotiations each party would endeavour to protect their own interests.
    For example, he hoped that Australian farmers would be able to access the UK market post Brexit as they can provide produce at much lower prices than their UK counterparts. However the Aussies were realistic enough to understand that, despite the two countries having a very decent relationship, the UK Govt would have to protect their farmers and therefore some sort of tariffs would be put on Aussie produce as a consequence.
This explained to some extent why EU countries were intent on protecting themselves from parts of the withdrawal agreement they didnt like.
There were a few other things he said which were interesting to hear from the mouth of a senior third party politician (who seems to be an Anglophile)
Basically, as a country, we are going to have to take it on the chin for the short and medium term but he considered that, as a nation, we have the capacity to thrive in the long term.
I do hope the last bit is true but sympathise with those who will struggle in the next 5 years or so with lost job opportunities and food price increases as a consequence of what is likely to be a 'No Deal'

38 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Did anyone watch Question Time last night?
One of the panel was Malcolm Turnbull ex PM of Australia.
Thought he spoke very well.
Couple of things:
1. He thought the 'Australia' deal was not that great a deal for us, which surprised me as it is being promoted as something quite acceptable.
2. He also pointed out that in any trade negotiations each party would endeavour to protect their own interests.
    For example, he hoped that Australian farmers would be able to access the UK market post Brexit as they can provide produce at much lower prices than their UK counterparts. However the Aussies were realistic enough to understand that, despite the two countries having a very decent relationship, the UK Govt would have to protect their farmers and therefore some sort of tariffs would be put on Aussie produce as a consequence.
This explained to some extent why EU countries were intent on protecting themselves from parts of the withdrawal agreement they didnt like.
There were a few other things he said which were interesting to hear from the mouth of a senior third party politician (who seems to be an Anglophile)
Basically, as a country, we are going to have to take it on the chin for the short and medium term but he considered that, as a nation, we have the capacity to thrive in the long term.
I do hope the last bit is true but sympathise with those who will struggle in the next 5 years or so with lost job opportunities and food price increases as a consequence of what is likely to be a 'No Deal'

An “Australia deal” is basically no deal. Yes, I thought he spoke very well too (and very diplomatically). At least he balanced out that awful right wing rent a gob.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I very clearly added (indeed, started with) the caveat that it was not necessarily a reliable source of information. But come on Wes, it is entirely consistent with everything we know about Johnson's character and how he goes about his business.

Ursula von der Leyen reminds Boris Johnson to maintain social distancing  ahead of Brexit dinner | Evening Standard

Look at the fucking state of him. His body language speaks volumes - he acts like a naughty schoolboy who is convinced he's going to be caught out for something at any moment. 

Is this really the man on whom you are pinning all your hopes to secure the best possible future for the UK? He's an utter embarrassment.

You must be pretty shallow if you believe that a person's appearance or body language are significant factors in their ability to negotiate a deal competently. Despite his appearance, he was elected Mayor of London twice, led the leave referendum campaign that produced a winning majority, and is the PM following a near landslide General Election majority of 80 seats. It appears to be the case that either the electorate find his eccentricity endearing, or else they couldn't care a toss about it. Naturally those who aren't Conservative voters will find petty reasons to be critical of him.

Further to the unsolicited gossip regarding Boris' alleged diplomatic faux pas, I hear that the Union Jack was flown outside the EU offices upside down, a traditional distress signal. Was that a simple error, or a deliberate insult, I wonder?

3 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

hear that the Union Jack was flown outside the EU offices upside down, a traditional distress signal. Was that a simple error, or a deliberate insult, I wonder?

Not the only ones ;

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/parliament-has-been-flying-the-union-flag-upside-down-70954

The Houses of Parliament have been flying the union flag upside down, it has been claimed.

Jacob Rees-Mogg described the reports as "deeply troubling" after Conservative MP Robert Courts suggested that it had been that way for "some time".

He said: "I wouldn't want to be seen to be too much of a stickler for these things, but... the Union Jack above Portcullis House has been flying upside down for some time now.

"This could be a mistake. I doubt that the building has surrendered to anybody, but could we have the debate in government time as to whether in fact the building is in distress or whether its the MPs within it that are in distress?"

Leader of the House, Rees-Mogg, said "This is a deeply troubling matter that the Union Jack should be flying upside down."

3 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

You must be pretty shallow if you believe that a person's appearance or body language are significant factors in their ability to negotiate a deal competently. Despite his appearance, he was elected Mayor of London twice, led the leave referendum campaign that produced a winning majority, and is the PM following a near landslide General Election majority of 80 seats. It appears to be the case that either the electorate find his eccentricity endearing, or else they couldn't care a toss about it. Naturally those who aren't Conservative voters will find petty reasons to be critical of him.

Further to the unsolicited gossip regarding Boris' alleged diplomatic faux pas, I hear that the Union Jack was flown outside the EU offices upside down, a traditional distress signal. Was that a simple error, or a deliberate insult, I wonder?

It's not just his appearance and his body language Wes, although they are part of the overall picture. It's everything about him. He was a total disaster as Mayor of London (garden bridge, anyone?). He was a total disaster as Foreign Secretary. He was sacked as a journalist for making up quotes. He has a chaotic, cavalier approach to everything and thinks it's all just a jolly jape.

It's not like any of this is a secret. He has led a very public life, courting attention wherever he could. And all the evidence, going back even to his early appearances on HIGNFY, suggests that he is nothing more than an over-privileged, dissembling charlatan; a hopelessly out of his depth chancer with a delusional sense of superiority; a hollow, morally bankrupt, bloviating, incompetent narcissist with no discernible talent for anything other than self-promotion.

That so many people have fallen for his charm and allowed him to manoeuvre himself into Number 10 makes me despair about the state of politics in this country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

I understand the desire to paint the EU as the bad guys. But the reality is we want to access their markets, whilst simultaneously retaining the "sovereign" right to undercut them. They're obviously not going to accept that. So what are we all doing here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's not just his appearance and his body language Wes, although they are part of the overall picture. It's everything about him. He was a total disaster as Mayor of London (garden bridge, anyone?). He was a total disaster as Foreign Secretary. He was sacked as a journalist for making up quotes. He has a chaotic, cavalier approach to everything and thinks it's all just a jolly jape.

It's not like any of this is a secret. He has led a very public life, courting attention wherever he could. And all the evidence, going back even to his early appearances on HIGNFY, suggests that he is nothing more than an over-privileged, dissembling charlatan; a hopelessly out of his depth chancer with a delusional sense of superiority; a hollow, morally bankrupt, bloviating, incompetent narcissist with no discernible talent for anything other than self-promotion.

That so many people have fallen for his charm and allowed him to manoeuvre himself into Number 10 makes me despair about the state of politics in this country.

And yet history will judge him not on those things, but what he achieves in the most important decision in our history for the past fifty years. He has a massive electoral mandate to get Brexit done and will be toast politically if he delivers a BRINO capitulation to the EU. My expectation is that either if we leave with a proper FTA with the EU, or without one on WTO terms, as Boris states, we will thrive in the medium to long term and look back wondering why we didn't do it earlier.

4 minutes ago, John B said:

I understand the desire to paint the EU as the bad guys. But the reality is we want to access their markets, whilst simultaneously retaining the "sovereign" right to undercut them. They're obviously not going to accept that. So what are we all doing here.

Equally of course, they wish to continue to access our markets where they have a massive trade surplus in goods, and to have the sovereign right to undercut us too, armed with powers to attempt to hamstring our efforts to grow our economy  Your problem is that you only see the "reality" from their side.

10 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

And yet history will judge him not on those things, but what he achieves in the most important decision in our history for the past fifty years. He has a massive electoral mandate to get Brexit done and will be toast politically if he delivers a BRINO capitulation to the EU. My expectation is that either if we leave with a proper FTA with the EU, or without one on WTO terms, as Boris states, we will thrive in the medium to long term and look back wondering why we didn't do it earlier.

Great news Wes.  When am I going to be richer?  Time to deliver now.

59 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I have friends who worked in the Diplomatic Service when Boris was Foreign Secretary.
By all accounts he was pretty poor and his comments regarding the lady who is stuck in an Iranian jail shows pretty poor diplomatic skills as was his comments as PM ...'F**k Business'!!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John B said:

All we want is what other sovereign countries have. It maybe what Australia have or it maybe what Canada have, but it won’t be what Norway have. 

For people who are meant to be the most highly educated and intelligent members of society, you remainers don’t seem to understand. Do you really think rehashing the same old pony endlessly will change anyone’s mind. Do you honestly believe being condescending and arrogant over and over again will win the country over to your cause. Everything the EU & Remainers have done since the referendum has cemented the leave mentality in this country. There’s a reason rejoining the EU won’t be in the labour manifesto in 2024, because they know they’ll get slaughtered again.  I hope you and your like continue in the same way because you’re ensuing we will never rejoin. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

There’s a reason rejoining the EU won’t be in the labour manifesto in 2024, because they know they’ll get slaughtered again. 

I guess that may change when we actually leave and the effects become clear.

If we profit massively from our huge fish windfall and everyone is better off obviously Labour won't campaign to go back in. if people start losing their jobs and businesses suffer I think people's Brexit loyalties will be short lived. Most people just want to be better off, they are not Brexit Jihadis like you and the mob on here.

Edited by aintforever

41 minutes ago, John B said:

"Have our cake and eat it" was the phrase....and anyone who doubted it out was just falling victim to "Project Fear." 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I guess that may change when we actually leave and the effects become clear.

If we profit massively from our huge fish windfall and everyone is better off obviously Labour won't campaign to go back in. if people start losing their jobs and businesses suffer I think people's Brexit loyalties will be short lived. Most people just want to be better off, they are not Brexit Jihadis like you and the mob on here.

"No, no no. If Brexit fails it is all the fault of the nasty Europeans who are trying to punish us".

The usual suspects are already pedalling the "punishment " line.  We decided to leave their club and they won't let us keep any of the benefits of membership.

The more Boris ramps up the no-deal likelihood (this morning we are now up to "very, very likely") the more it feels like we will get a deal.

We're a "memorandum of understanding" on an "arbitration panel" away from a deal.

The only objective Boris gives a shit about is to look like he's won. That's infinitely more important than anyone's job, or fishermen or business (Fuck business, as he said).

So he just needs to ramp up the catastrophe to give him the room to concede everything (as he has already done on Ireland) and paint it as a stunning victory.

Come this time next week they'll be a deal and we get to listen to the Guido-ette dinlows on here giving it the "and you said it couldn't be done" routine all over again.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

"No, no no. If Brexit fails it is all the fault of the nasty Europeans who are trying to punish us".

The usual suspects are already pedalling the "punishment " line.  We decided to leave their club and they won't let us keep any of the benefits of membership.

The dins will never accept it but if we are sovereign then it is impossible for us to be punished.

Our sovereign, independent government will make sovereign independent decisions as a sovereign independent nation. Every consequence therefore is entirely a result of the sovereign independent government making those sovereign independent decisions independently.

We can only punish ourselves, because we make all our decisions independently. Because we are sovereign.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Did calling people with less intellect than yourself "dins" (or suchlike) during the referendum campaign make them more or less likely to vote to leave...? ;)

Couldn't give a flying fuck.

They've won and we're getting what they voted for.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What can we look forward to on January 1st when no deal is the reality?

Give us your best (worst) case scenarios so we can compare with the reality later in the year...

ill have to pay 4 pence extra for 6 tomatoes, ill need a visa to go on holiday in the EU thats it, so nothing major to me... if they push tomatoes to 6 pence extra, i might have to sell my house... fingers crossed.

• Like 1

"I've looked carefully at no-deal. I've assessed its consequences, and yes of course we could do it. The UK could certainly get through it.

But be in no doubt: that outcome would be a failure of statecraft for which we would all be responsible".

Boris Johnson - September 2019.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

"I've looked carefully at no-deal. I've assessed its consequences, and yes of course we could do it. The UK could certainly get through it.

But be in no doubt: that outcome would be a failure of statecraft for which we would all be responsible".

Boris Johnson - September 2019.

Politicians have very short memories, and these days little conscience.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Technically 'everyone' is getting what was voted for - unless of course you have emigrated to the EU to enjoy the bountiful fruits on offer across the Channel.

What did you think "we're getting what they voted for" meant?

We is everyone.

51 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The more Boris ramps up the no-deal likelihood (this morning we are now up to "very, very likely") the more it feels like we will get a deal.

We're a "memorandum of understanding" on an "arbitration panel" away from a deal.

The only objective Boris gives a shit about is to look like he's won. That's infinitely more important than anyone's job, or fishermen or business (Fuck business, as he said).

So he just needs to ramp up the catastrophe to give him the room to concede everything (as he has already done on Ireland) and paint it as a stunning victory.

Come this time next week they'll be a deal and we get to listen to the Guido-ette dinlows on here giving it the "and you said it couldn't be done" routine all over again.

This. They will fudge something together and the scruffy fat cunt will declare it amazing no matter how bad a deal it is.

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

ill have to pay 4 pence extra for 6 tomatoes, ill need a visa to go on holiday in the EU thats it, so nothing major to me... if they push tomatoes to 6 pence extra, i might have to sell my house... fingers crossed.

Mosin,
I reckon you are one of those young whipper snappers who enjoy robust health.
Some of us older coves have had many years suffering the trials and tribulations watching our favourite team and this has had an adverse impact on our health and wellbeing.
As a consequence of not having EHIC benefits to rely on, our travel insurance premiums will be expensive and I will now be unable to afford a match day programme or a polystyrene contained cup of what is supposed to be tea at future home games!!
Shame on you all who voted for Brexit!!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction