Puel so far, not a good fit for saints? or the man to take us forward?

Mr X

So we are currently in a better league position than last year with a cup semi-final to look forward to? Yeah, real sh_it manager and lets face it, in the terminally stupid like Robbie don't rate him we can be rest assured he's decent enough.

That said, I too like to see the ball moved quicker (dour often springs to mind) but he needs to bring in a box to box midfielder and we all know a strikers required as the Long / Jay gamble hasn't paid off. Only then will we really be able to judge him.

As for those who say they don't like him because of his language skills, well you're just morons.

Why not make that reasonable post without the need to insult others who hold a contrary view?

I'm in the camp where I found Koeman's "long ball to Pellè and hope he does something" when we were out of form over winter much more depressing last season than any football we've played this season.

At least under Puel we're playing good passing football (most of the time) even though we're lacking the final sting in the attack. Didn't even have that during our turgid winter last season.

We're dominating games, dominating possession and that's the way to go. Yeh, we can move it quicker at times but keeping the ball means fewer chances for the opposition and more chances for us. Have there been many games this season where we've had fewer chances than our opponents? It's simply finding the final pass and clinical taking of a chance that's lacking.

This idea that we're "boring" is a bit strange. We're lucky enough to have some of the most exciting players I've seen in recent memory. Boufal is a player that does some magical stuff already and he's not even at full speed yet. Redmond has shown time and time again he can take on absolutely any full back (despite lacking the final pass or clinical option at the end). Van Dijk making his surges through midfield and inhuman reading of the game. Romeu with his excellent mopping up, hearty tackles and keeping of the ball in tight situations. These are players that fit a system where individuality and creativity is encouraged. Puel obviously gives them that freedom.

I really don't get what some of our fans want. To pepper opposition boxes with long balls and crosses? To simply create more? To press right up the pitch 3 times a week?

Unless I'm using extremely selective memory here, we've almost always been team that keeps the ball (outside of a few depressing performances under Koeman) and this sort of denial of history is quite strange. One of the biggest complaints about Poch was the "lack of a plan B" and keeping possession for possession's sake. If anything it just shows that fans don't really know what they want and instead reel off the same cliché soundbites (I'm looking at you, guy a few rows back in the Northam who keeps screaming "DOWN THE LINE AND GET IT IN THE BOX"). Good football that utilises technical players is the Saints way of playing. Look at our academy. We're blooding slight, nimble technical players who are good on the ball not 6'6" pacey giants who will just win and chase long balls over the top. I like to think we're doing things the highly subjective "right" way.

Maybe people were spoilt by Leicester's kick and rush last season and want Saints to play a similar way.

Gotta wonder how happy he'd be with it. I'm pretty confident all of adkins, poch and koeman all would've been very happy with how there time of the south coast went. Puels no longer in Europe, top 8 team now like closer to 10th, don't have quite the same spark as we did with mane and pelle. Gotta remember that he just left nice who are top of ligue 1 right now. Wouldn't say he's done anything wrong. We've let in the third least goals in the prem. Some games eg palace I don't think we would've shipped 3 if we scored first when we were all over them. Gotta wonder where wed be if we had a 20+ goalso a season striker. Can't blame puel that's longs not scored for 20 games

I really don't get what some of our fans want. To pepper opposition boxes with long balls and crosses?

Peppering the opposition box with crosses seems to be more or less our only attacking tactic at the moment. It wasn't working particularly well before Austin got injured, and is working even less well now. We're boring because we've become predictable - you could argue that as ineffective as they usually were, Pelle's flicks from long balls at least occasionally carried the potential to wrong-foot the defence and create overlaps. Having Martina and Bertrand lob in hopeful balls from 25 yards out on the wing against a well-set defence is only ever going to lead to comfortable clearances, as we saw for 99% of the game on Wednesday night.

Peppering the opposition box with crosses seems to be more or less our only attacking tactic at the moment. It wasn't working particularly well before Austin got injured, and is working even less well now. We're boring because we've become predictable - you could argue that as ineffective as they usually were, Pelle's flicks from long balls at least occasionally carried the potential to wrong-foot the defence and create overlaps. Having Martina and Bertrand lob in hopeful balls from 25 yards out on the wing against a well-set defence is only ever going to lead to comfortable clearances, as we saw for 99% of the game on Wednesday night.

I agree. I don't like the "hopefully lump it into the box" when out of ideas but it seems if they don't do that, the crowd goes mental if we pass it back to recycle possession. I want us to be more patient in those positions if the opportunity for a counter has gone. Saw a lot of potential with Boufal and Redmond's link up (they played much closer to each other and had some really good 1-2s) both against Boro and Stoke that leads me to believe that combination could be the key to unlock stubborn defences. Once Tadic is back, that adds another player who has the ability to create.

That was my biggest complaint about Wednesday. Our best play was through the middle (with Redmond/Boufal in the first half and JWP looking forwards more in the 2nd) but Stoke shut up shop and only really gave us the option out wide knowing they can defend anything thrown in and we just played into it.

Against a defence like that, how can you be anything but predictable when they are only giving you a tiny bit of space between a solid line of 6 (Charlie Adam spent most his game at LB haha) and a bank of 3 in front?

Last season we played exactly how you describe, cross cross cross (we scored the highest % of headed goals in the league). Maybe it's just taking the full backs time to adjust to a style where they can't just whip it in to a big man in the box and hope he gets a head on it. I noticed Bertrand was trying to get in the box more to open up low cross opportunities and pull backs.

I'm not sure we should be judging a manager by how good he is at press conferences otherwise we'd have a statue of Harry Rednapp outside St Madys and not Ted Bates. What is the point of them anyway? They give the media a few sound bites but if anyone gets near the truth managers lie.

Puel has his good and bad points just like every other manager we've ever had. If he can improve on the bad points - high priority scoring goals, low priority being good at press conferences, we'll have a good manager.

I'm in the camp where I found Koeman's "long ball to Pellè and hope he does something" when we were out of form over winter much more depressing last season than any football we've played this season.

At least under Puel we're playing good passing football (most of the time) even though we're lacking the final sting in the attack. Didn't even have that during our turgid winter last season.

We're dominating games, dominating possession and that's the way to go. Yeh, we can move it quicker at times but keeping the ball means fewer chances for the opposition and more chances for us. Have there been many games this season where we've had fewer chances than our opponents? It's simply finding the final pass and clinical taking of a chance that's lacking.

This idea that we're "boring" is a bit strange. We're lucky enough to have some of the most exciting players I've seen in recent memory. Boufal is a player that does some magical stuff already and he's not even at full speed yet. Redmond has shown time and time again he can take on absolutely any full back (despite lacking the final pass or clinical option at the end). Van Dijk making his surges through midfield and inhuman reading of the game. Romeu with his excellent mopping up, hearty tackles and keeping of the ball in tight situations. These are players that fit a system where individuality and creativity is encouraged. Puel obviously gives them that freedom.

I really don't get what some of our fans want. To pepper opposition boxes with long balls and crosses? To simply create more? To press right up the pitch 3 times a week?

Unless I'm using extremely selective memory here, we've almost always been team that keeps the ball (outside of a few depressing performances under Koeman) and this sort of denial of history is quite strange. One of the biggest complaints about Poch was the "lack of a plan B" and keeping possession for possession's sake. If anything it just shows that fans don't really know what they want and instead reel off the same cliché soundbites (I'm looking at you, guy a few rows back in the Northam who keeps screaming "DOWN THE LINE AND GET IT IN THE BOX"). Good football that utilises technical players is the Saints way of playing. Look at our academy. We're blooding slight, nimble technical players who are good on the ball not 6'6" pacey giants who will just win and chase long balls over the top. I like to think we're doing things the highly subjective "right" way.

Maybe people were spoilt by Leicester's kick and rush last season and want Saints to play a similar way.

:adore:

Without penetration it is boring to watch. All the most beautiful passes left to right and backwards to the back four don't get the fans on their feet and make it interesting...it is those darting runs and slicing through balls and the possibility of a goal that makes good viewing...after all we are there to try and win the game and that has to be done by scoring goals.

All we do is foreplay, no penetration and ultimately we are just left feeling agitated with blue balls.

Puels thinking is in a technical straightjacket. The UEFA coaching badge discourages crossing and encourages getting the ball into zones just outside the box around 20-25 yards out where statistically most goals are generated from. So we fluff about endlessly trying to work the ball into that zone, but don't have much of a plan when it gets there. Meanwhile, everyone (including the opposition) know a cross isn't coming, so it's easy to defend, and none of our midfielders bother with making runs into the box. Puel needs to mix things up a bit occasionally, but he is a stubborn old sod and that's why he has to go.

Puels thinking is in a technical straightjacket. The UEFA coaching badge discourages crossing and encourages getting the ball into zones just outside the box around 20-25 yards out where statistically most goals are generated from. So we fluff about endlessly trying to work the ball into that zone, but don't have much of a plan when it gets there. Meanwhile, everyone (including the opposition) know a cross isn't coming, so it's easy to defend, and none of our midfielders bother with making runs into the box. Puel needs to mix things up a bit occasionally, but he is a stubborn old sod and that's why he has to go.

Are you kidding? All we do is frigging cross the ball problem is the crosses are either **** poor or when the full back does actually deliver a good one into the box there are no saints players in the bloody box to do anything with it.

We have clicked and played really nice football on the odd occasion under Puel, and I have been left purring at times. He also pulled off some masterful tactical substitutions earlier in the season. However the majority of games, especially recently, have been insipid, turgid affairs, redolent of the post match interview style. Exiting the Europa with barely a whimper has raised anxieties as has our subsequent league form. The misfiring front-line are a major concern. The feel-good factor around he club has evaporated, the mood music is different. I think the rumours of Kat selling are not helping. I detect a corrosive uncertainty stalking the corridors, locker-rooms and training pitches.

I don't think it is all down to Puel and he should certainly be allowed the season at least, and preferably a second after a proper pre-season. Unless we nosedive and need emergency surgery in early-mid March.

Really good reasoned post. Thanks

I was just looking at his nice record. First season got them 4th, second season (2013/14) though 17th and team scored lowest amount of goals (30) in the league. Don,t know the circumstances in detail but would normally expect a manager to get sacked for that. Following season (2014//15) 11th, then 4th last season.

59de407f2146b9d098cd64fde4832817.jpg

He's a great fit for the club- shares the same values & does his job in an understated manner. Much prefer him to RK. We just need to score some bloody goals!

Are you saying you prefer him to koeman because koeman left us in a bad way ie a load of lies, promising to stay etc?

Koeman wasn't perfect but he got us playing exciting attacking football that when it worked was amazing to watch, we will not ever achieve a 6th place finish under puel. Yes puel has lost good players but you have to do the best you can & motivate the players to get them to play to their best ability! We got him in for this reason. We still have a squad as good as the winning Leicester side so it's not all about players, we do have to start scoring goals though, approaching every game aiming just not to concede isn't doing us any favours! Don't get how anyone can say puel is better than koeman......

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And now he's gone there flying

In contrast, Rudi Garcia, one of the other names in the frame that Les turned down in the summer (quite happy to say I wanted him following what looked like a decent spell in Italy) is muddling along in mid table nothingness - 9th - in L1 with Marseille. Who knew?

Are you saying you prefer him to koeman because koeman left us in a bad way ie a load of lies, promising to stay etc?

Koeman wasn't perfect but he got us playing exciting attacking football that when it worked was amazing to watch, we will not ever achieve a 6th place finish under puel. Yes puel has lost good players but you have to do the best you can & motivate the players to get them to play to their best ability! We got him in for this reason. We still have a squad as good as the winning Leicester side so it's not all about players, we do have to start scoring goals though, approaching every game aiming just not to concede isn't doing us any favours! Don't get how anyone can say puel is better than koeman......

I think you are over doing Koeman's style of football a bit it was mostly about smashing it to Pelle's head.

In contrast, Rudi Garcia, one of the other names in the frame that Les turned down in the summer (quite happy to say I wanted him following what looked like a decent spell in Italy) is muddling along in mid table nothingness - 9th - in L1 with Marseille. Who knew?

Having taken over the club 2 months ago in a far worse position...

Exciting attacking football under Koeman? Are you serious? Lump it up to Pelle and hope it sticks or spam crosses until someone hetas their head on it. Really exciting.

Our best football under Koeman was due to individual brilliance from Tadic (who has been injured for a large chunk of this year) or Mane (who, in case you hadn't noticed isn't here this year).

Leicester havn't exactly been great in the league this year either, so I really don't see what your point is there, either.

We really lack pace and power up top this year, which is hurting our ability to counter attack. Leicester have plenty of both. Redmond and Boufal are skillful players, but neither has Vardy or Musa's pace. Long is probably our only really quick attacking player and he can't control a football, pass or score at the moment.

I think Jay is probably our best option up top in all honesty, but he really needs a goal to get his confidence up. Hope he finds the back of the net soon. We really miss Pelle and Mane and havn't directly replace what they gave us, physical power and blistering pace.

Puel is trying his best to build a side following the sales of Mane and Pelle.

Koeman did the same after we lost Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Shaw and Chambers.

The job Koeman did here, despite the manner of his departure, should not be under-estimated.

No Koeman did an excellent job but people claiming that he played some sort of swashbuckling exciting football is laying it on a bit thick.

Last seasons 6th place finish also has to be put in to context with several of the normal top six under performing last season.

Will be interesting to see how people's verdicts on puel change miraculously on here should we lose today against the cherries, I am prepared to admit I was wrong about puel should he prove he is able to turn our poor form & negative tactics around

Personally I think this was more through having the players we had, Mane was amazing to watch, then throw in Pelle who could score some great goals along with Long who had the season of his life, probably helped by the confidence of having those players around him. Think it's no coincidence that when these players were out of the side or off form we looked awful at times

Personally I think this was more through having the players we had, Mane was amazing to watch, then throw in Pelle who could score some great goals along with Long who had the season of his life, probably helped by the confidence of having those players around him. Think it's no coincidence that when these players were out of the side or off form we looked awful at times

As "Mr X" was only too quick to point out throughout last season.

A year ago, he was demanding that the "clueless" Koeman be sacked.

Agree with this, and is exactly what my Everton supporting mate says. He described the way they play as frustrating football, that they play back and forth around the attacking third with no movement or runs being made. Ring any bells? I think part of Puels system issue is that we need to re-educate the team on making attacking runs and pulling defenders around as it was absent for a season and a half except on the big occassions. We only seem to regularly see this kind of movement from Redmond and Boufal which is why Puel is adamant to play the former.

No way did koeman get us playing exciting, attacking football. I think you're getting him confused with the little Argentinian fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...