Spin Master Reed

Batman

Yeah you still haven't explained to me how you expect the current manager to deliver exciting attacking football with a squad you said wasn't good enough last season and would be a team of cloggers this season if we lost Mane and Victor.......

A change of mentality would help. You won't convince me that under a different manager we wouldn't have played some more exciting football, created more chances and scored more goals. The chances created and goals scored has been pathetic this year and in my opinion that is largely down to the manager.

So are you saying you don't think the likes of Victor, Lallana, Morgan and Lovern agitated for a move?

I've no idea as I don't trust all of the negative 'leaks' to the fan base and the media from private conversations and negotiations Reed has with our players and managers, which is the only way you hear about them. Such behaviour is totally unprofessional which makes me very suspicious of the man and all of the players and managers must surely find such a sneaky character very difficult to trust or confide in. Anybody with any integrity wouldn't want to work for him for long, which is why we are now getting characters like Eric Black coming into the club.

Steven Gerrard said that he had no respect for Les Reed after the way he treated him during England's Euro 2000 campaign. Gerard wrote, "To this day, I have no respect for Reed." I should imagine many players, managers and coaches feel the same way.

I've no idea as I don't trust all of the negative 'leaks' to the fan base and the media from private conversations and negotiations Reed has with our players and managers, which is the only way you hear about them. Such behaviour is totally unprofessional which makes me very suspicious of the man and all of the players and managers must surely find such a sneaky character very difficult to trust or confide in. Anybody with any integrity wouldn't want to work for him for long, which is why we are now getting characters like Eric Black coming into the club.

Steven Gerrard said that he had no respect for Les Reed after the way he treated him during England's Euro 2000 campaign. Gerard wrote, "To this day, I have no respect for Reed." I should imagine many players, managers and coaches feel the same way.

But you trust the leaks that are negative about Reed, the chairman and the owners.

He did, however, say this, directly quoted:

"It’s really important that we think long term so that we are still competing at sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth in the league for the long term and we are not going up and down like some of the other clubs around us."

There you go ladies, suck it up, drink it in.

No more grizzling about howwible old lying Les promising us the Champions League.

Read it.

Digest it.

Read it again.

What a beautiful day.

BUT CORTESE WOULD HAVE NEVER SETTLED FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WE WERE ON A RELENTESS CHARGE TO GLORY UNDER HIM I TELL YOU!! WE HAVE NO AMBITION!!! ;)

"It’s really important that we think long term so that we are still competing at sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth in the league for the long term and we are not going up and down like some of the other clubs around us."

No more grizzling about howwible old lying Les promising us the Champions League.

Read it.

Digest it.

Read it again.

What a beautiful day.

Ive read the article and agree with a lot he says, but he has dropped his expectations and giving the fans a drop in theirs as well. Perhaps in 2 seasons time he will say 'It’s really important that we think long term so that we are still competing at 13th 14th and 15th in the league' and of course fans will say that's fine we are only a small club.

Once Villa and Newcastle come back up they will be re energised and will invest to push us down further, as again we dilute our squad with players not qute up to speed in the PL

And you can tick "Steven Gerrard" off your bingo cards, everyone.

Sorry but it does.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Have another read of it.

BUT CORTESE WOULD HAVE NEVER SETTLED FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WE WERE ON A RELENTESS CHARGE TO GLORY UNDER HIM I TELL YOU!! WE HAVE NO AMBITION!!! ;)
In many ways your sarcastic post is indeed correct. He had the remit of Marcus to follow out their plan and was doing so.

A change of mentality would help. You won't convince me that under a different manager we wouldn't have played some more exciting football, created more chances and scored more goals. The chances created and goals scored has been pathetic this year and in my opinion that is largely down to the manager.

So despite thinking we have, in your opinion, the weakest squad in several seasons you think the manager just needs to gee the players up a bit more with some positive thinking?

You do know that according to the PL official website we rank 7th for the most shots this season and 8th for shots on target

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_scoring_att

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/ontarget_scoring_att

that does not suggest we aren't creating chances it does suggest those players taking these chances are not doing so which anyone who has watched us play could tell you.

Also a neat little stat guess the team who has played the most backward passes in the PL this season so far...

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/backward_pass

I bet no one accuses them of negative football....

jesus, it is fairly clear we are not pushing forward to score goals as much as we are used to in recent years, the manager virtually admitted it

it is ok for people (and many do) do not think we are particularly good this year and a fall down the league is on the cards

Ive read the article and agree with a lot he says, but he has dropped his expectations and giving the fans a drop in theirs as well. Perhaps in 2 seasons time he will say 'It’s really important that we think long term so that we are still competing at 13th 14th and 15th in the league' and of course fans will say that's fine we are only a small club.

Once Villa and Newcastle come back up they will be re energised and will invest to push us down further, as again we dilute our squad with players not qute up to speed in the PL

Don't forget Leeds. We're doomed we can't compete.

Might as well kill yourself mate

So you missed Morgan's very public outburst on social media or Victor's independent interviews were he spoke openly of his desire to leave?

jesus, it is fairly clear we are not pushing forward to score goals as much as we are used to in recent years, the manager virtually admitted it

it is ok for people (and many do) do not think we are particularly good this year and a fall down the league is on the cards

The stats don't bear that out we ranked 8th for shots last season we are currently ranked 7th this season. That obviously might change by the end of the season but it suggests we are not noticeably having less attempts at scoring this season than we did last season. The stat I want to see which I can't find is our conversion rate of shots to goals which I suspect is far lower this season than last.

The stats don't bear that out we ranked 8th for shots last season we are currently ranked 7th this season. That obviously might change by the end of the season but it suggests we are not noticeably having less attempts at scoring this season than we did last season. The stat I want to see which I can't find is our conversion rate of shots to goals which I suspect is far lower this season than last.

plenty are just going off what they see and believe that if his weird rotation policy does not change and we dont go back to being slightly more adventurous in the final 3rd, the only way is down the league (not relegated)

you can stay on here and argue, but it wont change anyone's opinion. You don't need to try and counter every single point on it. it wont make a difference I suspect.

Looking forward to (another) reaction today after a disappointing performance and result. hopefully, take the game to a lower league team with our superior players.

should we dont, it is ok as we lost there last season etc

same with the league cup, hopefully we will do more than almost celebrate keeping liverpool at NIL (whilst not having a single shot on target at home)

but then, we lost to them in the league cup very badly last season, so a 3-0 defeat will be fine I suspect

Edited by Batman

Sorry to repost from another thread but worth going here:

Anyone else find it slightly odd that the day after Les Reed says this:

"If you look at the top half of the calendar it’s three games every week. It’s incredible. As we get through January things start to even out again.

Claude really hasn’t had an opportunity to do much in terms of coaching, rather recover from matches and prepare for the next one.

The ability to have the players out on the pitch longer and do functional training sessions and the ability to work on different systems of play and so on have been very limited.

He has taken every opportunity he can but the sheer turnaround of games, and also the travelling in the Europa League and the week is gone before you know it."

Puel says this:

“I think at the end of this week we will know the calendar and I hope it is full, with many games, and that we can continue to play every three days.

Sometimes that is difficult, like over Christmas, but for the squad, for the team and players I think it's important to continue many games and continue to improve.”

Contradictory much?

Sorry to repost from another thread but worth going here:

Anyone else find it slightly odd that the day after Les Reed says this:

"If you look at the top half of the calendar it’s three games every week. It’s incredible. As we get through January things start to even out again.

Claude really hasn’t had an opportunity to do much in terms of coaching, rather recover from matches and prepare for the next one.

The ability to have the players out on the pitch longer and do functional training sessions and the ability to work on different systems of play and so on have been very limited.

He has taken every opportunity he can but the sheer turnaround of games, and also the travelling in the Europa League and the week is gone before you know it."

Puel says this:

“I think at the end of this week we will know the calendar and I hope it is full, with many games, and that we can continue to play every three days.

Sometimes that is difficult, like over Christmas, but for the squad, for the team and players I think it's important to continue many games and continue to improve.”

Contradictory much?

Southampton spokespeople in upbeat messages shocker!

I've read it as well and don't think he's dropped expectations at all, He's always said that he wants to get Southampton into a position where we are the best of the rest outside of the big clubs so that if some of them slip up we are in a position to prosper from it and maybe snatch a Champions League place. This is essentially what Leicester did last year but theirs was a monumental one-off effort over a single season and the wind was really at their backs.

This has been twisted in the past (by posters with their own agenda) to be "Les promised us Champions League" when of course he did nothing of the sort. He's just been trying to put the club into the best possible position we can expect for a club of our size, which will average around the sixth to eighth spots but in a good year might get us a Champions league spot, like Ranieri's Leicester, Moyes' Everton or even Redknapp's Tottenham did in years when they weren't really considered "big clubs". In a building year (which this year almost certainly is) then our expectation might be slightly lower.

Don't see any inconsistency in Les's comments. Just deliberate mis-interpretation from posters looking to spin his pronouncements for their own ends.

In many ways your sarcastic post is indeed correct. He had the remit of Marcus to follow out their plan and was doing so.

Not sure Markus, or Cortese while ML was alive, ever publicly talked about any aspiration for the Champions League. Premier League, yes.

Happy to see otherwise if you can find it.

Read it.

Digest it.

Read it again.

What a beautiful day.

Which is really odd when the club mantra is "Champions League Ready".

Eh?

If that is what the long term aim is then it is at odds with what the mantra that is espoused by senior executives within the club which was shared on a recent course held at St Mary's so either the quote attributed to Les was an old one or he's not on message!!

If that is what the long term aim is then it is at odds with what the mantra that is espoused by senior executives within the club which was shared on a recent course held at St Mary's so either the quote attributed to Les was an old one or he's not on message!!

Les is saying the same there as he's ever said. Read the baggytrousers post for as decent a summary as you'll get.

Champions League/top four is a stretch target which may be achieved by ensuring we are best of the rest every season. One season, if at least two of the big six fail, we then are in a strong position to break in. That's what "Champions League ready" means.

Edited by CB Fry

Old Les has a way with words.

Gone are the days where we'd become an established top six side from which we'd challenge for the CL before 2020. Now we're hovering above mid table, the best of the rest hoping for minor miracles. Nothing wrong with that till Les 'revises' or 'clarifies' expectations...

Edited by shurlock

Les is saying the same there as he's ever said. Read the baggytrousers post for as decent a summary as you'll get.

Champions League/top four is a stretch target which may be achieved by ensuring we are best of the rest every season. One season, if at least two of the big six fail, we then are in a strong position to break in. That's what "Champions League ready" means.

Not quite, the Director who spoke on the course was referring to the infrastructure of the club which is a fair point however, the playing staff I would suggest, is far from Champions League Ready and if we want to step in (or indeed up) then we have a long wait for two clubs to fail out of the top six.

Not quite, the Director who spoke on the course was referring to the infrastructure of the club which is a fair point however, the playing staff I would suggest, is far from Champions League Ready and if we want to step in (or indeed up) then we have a long wait for two clubs to fail out of the top six.

How are Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U doing in the Champions League this season ?

I've read it as well and don't think he's dropped expectations at all, He's always said that he wants to get Southampton into a position where we are the best of the rest outside of the big clubs so that if some of them slip up we are in a position to prosper from it and maybe snatch a Champions League place. This is essentially what Leicester did last year but theirs was a monumental one-off effort over a single season and the wind was really at their backs.

This has been twisted in the past (by posters with their own agenda) to be "Les promised us Champions League" when of course he did nothing of the sort. He's just been trying to put the club into the best possible position we can expect for a club of our size, which will average around the sixth to eighth spots but in a good year might get us a Champions league spot, like Ranieri's Leicester, Moyes' Everton or even Redknapp's Tottenham did in years when they weren't really considered "big clubs". In a building year (which this year almost certainly is) then our expectation might be slightly lower.

Don't see any inconsistency in Les's comments. Just deliberate mis-interpretation from posters looking to spin his pronouncements for their own ends.

Spot on, post of '17 so far.

You do wonder why some of out fan base insist on taking everything Reed says & twist it to their agenda. He's not going to say " we've no ficking chance of champions league" , but when he mentions it, all of a sudden it's "Les has promised us CL". When he talks about our midfield options positively , he's derided as believing we have the best midfield in the country. FFS are these people like it in real life , when their misses says , " this dress is so tight it's killing me" do they ring an ambulance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your point of comparison? What you've written sounds nothing like this.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32510554

Nothing at all.

Nothing at all.

it is like he expects to be an established top 6 side before 2020.

good luck with that.

then again, he did say all sorts of crap as posted in my original post of the thread

is Les the deluded one by not accepting 12th in the league as our 'lot'?

it is like he expects to be an established top 6 side before 2020.

good luck with that.

then again, he did say all sorts of crap as posted in my original post of the thread

Perhaps you could go back to the poster you implied had made it up though and apologise

Nothing at all.

The BBC article you've referred to quotes Reed as saying "we are confident we are right to have an aspiration to play in the Champions League." The headline is the BBC's sub-editor jazzing the story up, not a quote from Reed himself.

Other quotes from the original interview are :

"When we talk about Champions League within the next five years, yeah, it's a dream, but it's a realistic aspiration," the Daily Echo quotes Reed as saying.

"We have to do it a step at a time. We have to be patient, because we don't have the ability to do it all in one hit. We have to build towards it and it's keeping on track - that's the plan."

Nothing he's said today contradicts that. Champions League is still a dream or aspiration, a stretch target if you will, but it's all about building one step at a time and consolidating our place as the best of the rest with a young, promising squad is a reasonable start.

This is like polishing a t***