Spin Master Reed

Batman

I've no idea as I don't trust all of the negative 'leaks' to the fan base and the media from private conversations and negotiations Reed has with our players and managers, which is the only way you hear about them. Such behaviour is totally unprofessional which makes me very suspicious of the man and all of the players and managers must surely find such a sneaky character very difficult to trust or confide in. Anybody with any integrity wouldn't want to work for him for long, which is why we are now getting characters like Eric Black coming into the club.

Steven Gerrard said that he had no respect for Les Reed after the way he treated him during England's Euro 2000 campaign. Gerard wrote, "To this day, I have no respect for Reed." I should imagine many players, managers and coaches feel the same way.

I would hate to go through life without a glowing endorsement from Steven Gerrard. Seriously.

Imo Reed is a bad egg in the basket, he's more of an egomaniac than cortese hence why he won't sack Puel, he's completely deluded and spins all this bs to the fans, a lot of fans how now clicked on and aren't happy, there are many fans on here who see him as the almighty one and that's there choice but to be fair nobody and I mean nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes, I could be right could be wrong all I know is i feel Claude is the wrong appointment, this should've could've been the best season in our history but it's been royally fu***d up and unfortunately it seems it's not going to get any better anytime soon

Imo Reed is a bad egg in the basket, he's more of an egomaniac than cortese hence why he won't sack Puel, he's completely deluded and spins all this bs to the fans, a lot of fans how now clicked on and aren't happy, there are many fans on here who see him as the almighty one and that's there choice but to be fair nobody and I mean nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes, I could be right could be wrong all I know is i feel Claude is the wrong appointment, this should've could've been the best season in our history but it's been royally fu***d up and unfortunately it seems it's not going to get any better anytime soon

Yes, must be a really bad egg, considering he has been just about the only constant at the centre of the club's activities since April 2010.

Very constant spending a lot less on transfer in than transfer out ! Shows real ambition

Ignore the fact that we've improved our league position for 7 consecutive seasons. It's the net spend table that really counts and we're just not spunking our money up the walls as fast as other clubs.

Why oh why can't we be like West Ham. They know how to waste millions miles better than us. They must not have a bad egg at the heart of their club I guess.

Very constant spending a lot less on transfer in than transfer out ! Shows real ambition

Just to nitpick this statement.

It's not a bad thing. There's a pretty interesting book called Soccernomics that uses statistics to analyse and understand football a little more. It has almost a whole chapter on how transfer fees are almost irrelevant when it comes to league finishes. It's in fact wage expenditure that has more of a correlation.

There are teams that have bought big and done poorly and teams that have bought small and done well. Decent recruitment means teams don't need to spend a bomb, and the chapter actually goes on to say that many of the big fees paid in football are simply done to "appease fans" on panic buys where a better player could be bought for less. A "big signing" ramps up fan expectations and excitement. I can see why our club's transfer dealings aren't that exciting to those types of people. For me, however, I love the idea of unearthing rough diamonds and developing them. Gives me a bit of pride that our club identity is that much different to other clubs our size.

Also talks about the idea of "flavour of the week" players being bought for stupid money (so many examples in the Premier League it's utterly laughable), and how stupid teams are to buy a player off the back of a decent world cup/Euro competition at inflated prices.

I guess it's the "appeasing fans" bit that some of our fan base really want. Would spending £30m on someone like Benteke really mean that much to you despite making very little sustainable sense?

It's not a bad thing. There's a pretty interesting book called Soccernomics that uses statistics to analyse and understand football a little more. It has almost a whole chapter on how transfer fees are almost irrelevant when it comes to league finishes. It's in fact wage expenditure that has more of a correlation.

There are teams that have bought big and done poorly and teams that have bought small and done well. Decent recruitment means teams don't need to spend a bomb, and the chapter actually goes on to say that many of the big fees paid in football are simply done to "appease fans" on panic buys where a better player could be bought for less. A "big signing" ramps up fan expectations and excitement. I can see why our club's transfer dealings aren't that exciting to those types of people. For me, however, I love the idea of unearthing rough diamonds and developing them. Gives me a bit of pride that our club identity is that much different to other clubs our size.

Also talks about the idea of "flavour of the week" players being bought for stupid money (so many examples in the Premier League it's utterly laughable), and how stupid teams are to buy a player off the back of a decent world cup/Euro competition at inflated prices.

I guess it's the "appeasing fans" bit that some of our fan base really want. Would spending £30m on someone like Benteke really mean that much to you despite making very little sustainable sense?

Cheers for that Les.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/550451/Biggest-net-spend-Premier-League-2013-sportgalleries

This is interesting it shows that we have roughly spent what we have received since 2013.

Lowest net spenders in the division. Is that us being clever, or being tight?

Personally, with the biggest TV deal in football history, I don't think it's particularly clever.

I don't know les, i don't know what's 'going on' behind the scenes and I don'y know any of the players, staff or their friends and family. All I can base my opinion on is what I see at each home game which is a fairly difficult watch - slow, inoffensive football played by a team seemingly unsure of what to do next or with little freedom to follow their instinct. On top of that our recruitment last summer was disappointing in that it feels as though the average quality of the team has declined with a glaring vacancy up front and poor quality cover in defence. The mood within the squad would appear to have darkened, possibly driven by Jose's apparent diva behaviour or the new manager or the new system or something else. None of us know this.

We're somehow matching last seasons points tally (so far), which isn't an issue at all, but it's the 'how' which bothers me. I guess we'll only be able to tell at the end of the season, but if it's more of the same then I'm not going to be renewing my season ticket.

Personally, with the biggest TV deal in football history, I don't think it's particularly clever.

Jeez where did I say it was clever, the only opinion I offered was that I thought it was interesting. I'll let the usual we are doomed Kat has stolen our money brigade argue to an infantile point with the other lot who think Les should be knighted for services to sport about the pros and cons of the figures.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/550451/Biggest-net-spend-Premier-League-2013-sportgalleries

This is interesting it shows that we have roughly spent what we have received since 2013.

Ergo, the Net Spend table is redundant. It ignores not just wages, but bonuses and wage hikes for existing squad players.

Jeez where did I say it was clever, the only opinion I offered was that I thought it was interesting. I'll let the usual we are doomed Kat has stolen our money brigade argue to an infantile point with the other lot who think Les should be knighted for services to sport about the pros and cons of the figures.

Top Post.

Can't believe it's taken this long for some people to see through this man,so it for himself and would sell his soul to the devil if it would save himself, You really need to lose this man he's like a cancer to the club

look who is back!

Why do you think it is not particularly clever have you looked at the accounts of the club ? or is it a gut feeling

Didn't say you thought it was clever. Think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Not hooked - but if he knows something id like to hear it

His posts are a bit like some on Facebook "OMG cant believe it...." then nothing.

If you have something to say, just say it right?

You are admit it, you`re desperate for some other ammunition to fire at Reed to "compliment" your nonsense.

He has an axe to grind re his idol/lover the nivea boy..

Just looking at the net spend table. Spending more on players isn't going to bankrupt us, and will improve things on the pitch.

Yes that is true but there are other things to consider such as

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

Turnover 11th highest in League £114m, up from £106m in 2014

• Income Match-day income £18m; Premier League and broadcasting £84m; Commercial £10m; Other £1m

• Wage bill 9th highest in League £80m, up from £63m in 2014

• Wages as proportion of turnover 70%

• Profit before tax £15m, following £29m profit in 2014

• Net debt £48m

Yes that is true but there are other things to consider such as

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

Turnover 11th highest in League £114m, up from £106m in 2014

• Income Match-day income £18m; Premier League and broadcasting £84m; Commercial £10m; Other £1m

• Wage bill 9th highest in League £80m, up from £63m in 2014

• Wages as proportion of turnover 70%

• Profit before tax £15m, following £29m profit in 2014

• Net debt £48m

Can we stop citing those wage bill and wages-to-turnover figures which include one-off exceptional costs (e.g. Osvaldo's cancelled contract). The reality is that they are much lower. If you must, please be honest and explicit about the assumptions you're making.

Edited by shurlock

You are admit it, you`re desperate for some other ammunition to fire at Reed to "compliment" your nonsense.

He has an axe to grind re his idol/lover the nivea boy..

Your obsession with Glasgow is boring mate. Also, please stop reffering to him as 'Nivea boy'. How old are you?

If this man is pushed into a corner over something he'll sink the nearest person he can to save himself, HE IS a bad egg

Was it Les who sh*gged Adams missus on her holiday? Is Les really the dad? Is that why Adam has a grudge against him?

So many unanswered questions, please elaborate.

Your obsession with Glasgow is boring mate. Also, please stop reffering to him as 'Nivea boy'. How old are you?

Perhaps i should i pm my posts to you for vetting to make sure everything is ok with you then... no

ok mind your own business then ;)

Anyway having a moan at me is that din Sherlock`s job but i miss most of his "stunning wit" as he is on ignore

:wave: Hi Sherlock

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

I think Les Reed has done a very good job for SFC overall - clearly not liked by all players (e.g. VMan's posts and probably other players too) but name me a senior manager in their organisation who is 100% popular? He's (with Cortese pre-2014) appointed some great managers - Pards, Nigel, MP, Ronald - time will tell with Claude.

I just think so far that it hasn't appeared to quite gel with Claude - Claude doesn't quite have the profile and people around him - MP had Perez, Ron had Erwin - to be able to make his mark on the PL scene and Les seems to be in the spotlight a bit more IMO. Claude would certainly be ticking quite a few of Reed's boxes - giving academy players who are potentially good enough an opportunity (which had been by far his most popular aspect with the fans as well). I do think that sometimes you need that element of difference in the personalities though to push the club along - which RK and Reed had. Claude has been much too quiet on the striker issue - as a manager in my organisation, I'm always careful to build a shrewd case for when I do need really need resources but in Claude's shoes I'd have been really pressing and using the media. After all, the PL is pretty brutal if you don't get results, even at SFC, and it's being made much harder for Claude to do that with the sharp paucity of forward options.

Perhaps i should i pm my posts to you for vetting to make sure everything is ok with you then... no

ok mind your own business then ;)

Anyway having a moan at me is that din Sherlock`s job but i miss most of his "stunning wit" as he is on ignore

:wave: Hi Sherlock

You are, by some distance, the worst poster to ever post here. You are ball thrush to this forum.