Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

Has all the football skill but no football brain, constantly tries to do too much with too many tricks, walks into trouble. loses possession, repeats. 

Redmond you of anyone?

Hoedt must have "looked good " in teams before he got to us, but often players become the "square peg"  in a new club, and don't ever fit in.

This was certainly the case with Hoedt,  and his outspoken reaction to being dropped / blamed for team errors didn't help his case either.

My input is that many players look good  in a successful team, (or are stand-out players in a poor side), but that doesn't help if they join 

a new club and are asked to play another role,  or in another formation. The footballing nous, or talent they had learnt before just goes to waste.

Looking at  Hoedt's  performances with Saints, few of us would deny that is didn't work out, but there is a footballer in there somewhere and 

it would be nice to think that despite all the strife in between, he may get the chance to kick start his career before it's too late. 

16 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Hoedt must have "looked good " in teams before he got to us, but often players become the "square peg"  in a new club, and don't ever fit in.

This was certainly the case with Hoedt,  and his outspoken reaction to being dropped / blamed for team errors didn't help his case either.

My input is that many players look good  in a successful team, (or are stand-out players in a poor side), but that doesn't help if they join 

a new club and are asked to play another role,  or in another formation. The footballing nous, or talent they had learnt before just goes to waste.

Looking at  Hoedt's  performances with Saints, few of us would deny that is didn't work out, but there is a footballer in there somewhere and 

it would be nice to think that despite all the strife in between, he may get the chance to kick start his career before it's too late. 

I was on about dejenepo but yes hoedt had some skills just an attitude that didn't match 

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Christ alive, you gave me a heart attack bumping this thread. I thought he was coming back.

Coming back! - I thought we still had the bugger on one of those Chelsea 'esk 20 year contracts and that the umpteenth loan with an option to buy had finally found a Carillo from Monaco to Southampton type of sucker club to opt in!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wesley Hoedt
20 minutes ago, Badger said:

Pretty reckless passing back without looking to see where the GK was, but not sure the GK is entirely without blame either. Imagine the uproar if Bazunu had conceded that. 

I'd prefer the obvious, and rarer communication mess up to the dawning feeling that every shot at our goal will go over/under/through/past our goalkeeper. 🙂

I hadn't even finished my suprise that one got parried, when it was back across and in yesterday. 😒

23 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I'd prefer the obvious, and rarer communication mess up to the dawning feeling that every shot at our goal will go over/under/through/past our goalkeeper. 🙂

I hadn't even finished my suprise that one got parried, when it was back across and in yesterday. 😒

Fair point of course

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...