Saints vs Borussia Mönchengladbach - Match Thread

wessex saint

I'm stuck at work with only the benefit of reading the comments on here so difficult to judge how things really are.

However I was at the game on Wednesday and was really concerned at how poor our defence was and it appears the same is being said again today.

I'm not going to say this is disastrous but I do honestly believe we are in for a terrible season because I do not believe we have done anything to address our defensive frailties. The best sides are built on a strong defence and we have one made of glass.

Austin and Gabbi don't work. They've not really clicked in the past. No reason they will now. Need one of Redmond, JWP and Mou in there linking midfield and attack.
I'd take Austin off. He's done little.

I keep reading that if you give him service, he'll score, but it's not enough in the modern game to be waiting around fir a chance. Every player has to be part of the creative process, and he isn't.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I really don't get this fetish for height at the back, especially if we're planning on playing three there. On our transfer fee budget, height comes at the expense of mobility, and mobility is more important than height in today's PL.

We bought Forster for his height (there's not much else in his tool kit) and we're doing it with CBs.

We badly need a mobile reader back there, and I'm really hoping that Yoshida is going to step up to the role.

We also need our DMs to be much more effective in front of the back line. They seem so slow to sense danger.

I thought we signed Hoedt to deal with balls in the air. Having signed Hoedt, and committed to a back 3, we should have signed a player to complement him. Signing someone who shows up the worst qualities in both of them was ridiculous. And as for playing for them together in a back 4...

Whether we did or not Hoedt was **** poor at winning the ball in the air last season so we tried to find someone who could.

I really don't get this fetish for height at the back, especially if we're planning on playing three there. On our transfer fee budget, height comes at the expense of mobility, and mobility is more important than height in today's PL.

We bought Forster for his height (there's not much else in his tool kit) and we're doing it with CBs.

We badly need a mobile reader back there, and I'm really hoping that Yoshida is going to step up to the role.

We also need our DMs to be much more effective in front of the back line. They seem so slow to sense danger.

I'd argue we need a DM, we haven't had someone that effectively breaks up play since Wanyama left and there's no real destroyer type player in our side anymore, hence our defence being so exposed.

Whether we did or not Hoedt was **** poor at winning the ball in the air last season so we tried to find someone who could.

He couldn't run either so we've bought another lad who can't run and played them together. Mobility and speed are more important than aerial ability - this ain't league 2.

We need both but last season we got done by high balls into the box a lot we had to try and do something about it hence we signed a big bloke as you say our budget doesn't stretch to a big bloke, who is good in air, fast and reads the game well those cost 70 million now.

I'd take Austin off. He's done little.

I keep reading that if you give him service, he'll score, but it's not enough in the modern game to be waiting around fir a chance. Every player has to be part of the creative process, and he isn't.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, he gives the ball away all the time. Poor today

Bertrand and Targett seem to be playing as midfielders, it doesen't like like 5 ATB given that they are always nowhere near the play. And they have been so far up the pitch and wide that they are avaiable for the the counter-attacks. So maybe it's by design? I can't find other explanation. When you are getting so easily sliced at some point the CBs tell the WBs to form a line an cover the wingers but they haven't done it. They are sooo far up the pitch and wide that they seem to be marking the air. It's shocking, really. Let alone that the CBs are slow and really don't seem to be comfortable playing like this.

Find the best two CBs and ride them please. The players grow up learning how to play with a back four, they are used to it.

Not only they are slow, they don't mark the players going behind them. They don't really know if they should follow the runner, go forward to press... so they just stand still and react when it's too late.

In the midfield well, this team can't compete without Romeu covering Lemina's and Hoj's fuc* ups. They don't track back, just watch. Lemina gives you a lot going forward but what does PEH bring to the table? He's is been a hour late to every play.

Shocking from McCarthy. Speculative effort from 30 yards straight through his hands.

Second goal he's conceded this week that was his fault. If signing Gunn was to put pressure on McCarthy to maintain his standards, the early signs suggest he's not coping very well.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He couldn't run either so we've bought another lad who can't run and played them together. Mobility and speed are more important than aerial ability - this ain't league 2.

Hoedt is pretty quick for a CB his problem is concentration and over doing stuff in dangerous areas instead of playing it safe.

Absolutely terrible performance, i can't remember a saints side being so easy to rip apart in a long time, our midfield looks non existent and there's gaps big enough to fit the Oriana in the defence.

I know it's only a pre-season, and it's being played out in considerable heat, but this really looks bad for the start of the season.

Only pre-season etc etc but we look so disorganised. No naturalness to the team. Passing from back to front seems so difficult for us. We are set up so defensively but still can't defend to save our lives. If we play like this in the PL it's going to be really tough.