Saints vs Borussia Mönchengladbach - Match Thread

wessex saint

we are going to really struggle this season aren't we!

terrible at the back

TBF, its the lack of covering from the midfield more than the defenders, yes they are poor, but the midfield is none existent.

I don't like this formation, rather we went back to 433 / 451 / 4231.

Vestergaard was a signing for the sake of a signing. Him alongside Hoedt is a car crash - both slow as hell. If we must play a 3 we need Bertrand on left of a 3, and Yoshida in there somewhere. If a 4 then Yoshida plus a roll of the dice from the others.

Aside from Lemina, Gabbi and occasional flashes from Bertrand out wide, we look so lumbering from back to front. BM are so much more energetic (and technically accomplished on this evidence). They remind me a bit of us under Poch - not really star-studded, but playing with a very clear strategy & identity.

Vestergaard was a signing for the sake of a signing. Him alongside Hoedt is a car crash - both slow as hell. If we must play a 3 we need Bertrand on left of a 3, and Yoshida in there somewhere. If a 4 then Yoshida plus a roll of the dice from the others.

He wasn't a signing for sake of it. He was an attempt to rectify our complete lack of ability to deal with high balls into the box last season which we couldn't deal with game after game and cost us points. On the down side he looks like he will struggle against tricky players who run at him.

I have been trying yo work out why Ted Mac Dougall is playing no 10. Austin has been that bad. No movement, can't trap the ball, can't find a red shirt and a complete waste of space outide the penalty box.

Gabbi and Armstrong are our only threat.

No pace, no artisrty , no fgkin hope with that line up.

He wasn't a signing for sake of it. He was an attempt to rectify our complete lack of ability to deal with high balls into the box last season which we couldn't deal with game after game and cost us points. On the down side he looks like he will struggle against tricky players who run at him.

I’m hoping, may be a vain hope, that yoshida’s greater mobility beside him will make up a little for Vestergaard’s immobility.

Aside from Lemina, Gabbi and occasional flashes from Bertrand out wide, we look so lumbering from back to front. BM are so much more energetic (and technically accomplished on this evidence). They remind me a bit of us under Poch - not really star-studded, but playing with a very clear strategy & identity.

Very poor performance overall. Lemina has looked a like a headless chicken so disagree with you there. We keep dithering about with it at the back when playing out and look very nervy as a result. Poor passing and a distinct lack of a game plan or shape. Austin pressing on his own and most of the players looking like they’re running in treacle. I know we’ve struggled for goals but I think the two up top leaves us outnumbered in midfield. All in all the signs aren’t good for the season ahead.

So true and again a team with less resources players on lower pay and one whom we just stripped of allegededly their best centre back look so much more better than us across the park and also i should add a team weeks behind us in early season preparation

Why? And who is responsible?

Out midfield needs to change, its terrible. We've had the ball in what I would call one attacking position all half, and got a shot out of it. The rest of the time Borussia is controling the ball on their side of the pitch. Gabbi and Austin are getting 95% of their touches at midfield, not going to score many from there. The CB's are under constant pressure because the mids can't get the ball. It feels like we're in the 93rd minute and parking the bus. Of course eventually someone breaks through. Either the midfield players or formation needs to change. I have to believe Hughes sees this and is still experimenting.

If Hughes sticks with the present defensive formation, I’d rather see Yoshi on the right of the three CBs. His pace would be useful, particularly if Targett is the RWB.

There was some good interplay between Gabbi and Armstrong, that was somewhat encouraging. Very pleased with Armstrong so far.

Why aren't we using our wingbacks more the whole point of them is to give this formation threat from out wide and yet they hardly seem in the game.

Not watching the game but it’s often the case that if you can’t get and keep possession in centre mid the wide players are out of the game.

Not watching the game but it’s often the case that if you can’t get and keep possession in centre mid the wide players are out of the game.

Well we are certainly losing the ball a lot in the middle of the park but even when we don't we seem to be looking to feed balls through the middle rather than out wide.

I thought we signed Hoedt to deal with balls in the air. Having signed Hoedt, and committed to a back 3, we should have signed a player to complement him. Signing someone who shows up the worst qualities in both of them was ridiculous. And as for playing for them together in a back 4...