Saints vs Borussia Mönchengladbach - Match Thread

wessex saint

We got thumped by derby and it was ok because they were a week ahead of us in their preparations.. we are 2 weeks ahead of Borussia and we are getting thumped again. Worrying times.
Burnley will be match fit due to their European games. Tough first game it seems

Do people know this is a pre-season friendly? A game where you can build fitness, work on different ideas, get match ready and test out fringe players, rather than doing it in a league game. I suggest people go look at all the other premiership sides preseason results and you will see some good, some bad and some terrible. Will this reflect league positions, i highly doubt it.

HTH

Honest,serious question.

Is there anyone who can state that in their opinion this lot are going to be even slightly better this season than last ?

I can. Last season was awful until near the end. We will play better this season. But, we will not be as lucky, reckon 18th finish. A long way to go, hope we all have the stomach for it...

Sideways passing again.

People seem to like Hoj, but frankly I've seen nothing from him since he arrived.

He's honest and hard working but no quality with the ball. He can't shoot or pick a forward pass. To me he's symptomatic of many of the squad. Good players, but not quite Premier League.

Do people know this is a pre-season friendly? I suggest people go look at all the other premiership sides preseason results and you will see some good, some bad and some terrible. Will this reflect league positions, i highly doubt it.

HTH

zzzz because next weekend the defence will just be superb and right on it despite being awful last season and all through pre-season....

Hoedt is pretty quick for a CB his problem is concentration and over doing stuff in dangerous areas instead of playing it safe.

They're both slow on the turn, and in a 3 susceptible to balls in behind and in the channels. Argue all you like but I ain't persuaded that they're a good combination.

I never really fancy us to play well when Lemina's on.

And maybe we should think about going back to 4-3-3.

3 cbs a bit defensive of a style. Relies a lot on Bertrand when attacking. Maybe was ok when we were in dire straits at the end of last season.

Plus our cbs are crap, whereas we have quite a few attacking players now.

zzzz because next weekend the defence will just be superb and right on it despite being awful last season and all through pre-season....
I get your point but it is the same lot who did well towards the end of the season. We looked pretty tidy against Swansea Everton and Man City with the same players

They're both slow on the turn, and in a 3 susceptible to balls in behind and in the channels. Argue all you like but I ain't persuaded that they're a good combination.

Neither do I but that wasn't what you said. You said Vestergaard was signed just for the sake of it and I pointed why we signed him. I'm hoping Hoedt and Stephens don't play a first team game all season.

Seriously, under koeman we lost three pre season friendlies, against RB Leipzig, Valencia and Salsburg. Mopo season, lost to Schalke and Celta Vigo. Also in the flip we won some, like we have this preseason and every preseason since our history.

Preseason means zero, nothing, **** all. Man United beat Real Madrid, do you think if they played again first game of season this would happen?

Do people know this is a pre-season friendly? A game where you can build fitness, work on different ideas, get match ready and test out fringe players, rather than doing it in a league game. I suggest people go look at all the other premiership sides preseason results and you will see some good, some bad and some terrible. Will this reflect league positions, i highly doubt it.

HTH

What you say was reasonable three weeks ago we are now one week from the real thing and the team we are playing are meant to be less fit and less prepared! that is what is worrying. Also if they kept their first team on we would be more than just three down at home!

Seriously, under koeman we lost three pre season friendlies, against RB Leipzig, Valencia and Salsburg. Mopo season, lost to Schalke and Celta Vigo. Also in the flip we won some, like we have this preseason and every preseason since our history.

Preseason means zero, nothing, **** all. Man United beat Real Madrid, do you think if they played again first game of season this would happen?

Results mean nothing. Performances however do mean something. Last pre-season under Mope it was clear we where going to struggle even when we won games we where poor. Pre-season can tell you a lot if you are looking at more than just results.

What you say was reasonable three weeks ago we are now one week from the real thing and the team we are playing are meant to be less fit and less prepared! that is what is worrying. Also if they kept their first team on we would be more than just three down at home!

Equally you could argue, if you are a player a week before the seasons starts, are you going to go for it? Probably not. Also they are a vastly better side than us.

See now Borussia's midfield sucks and is giving the ball away, and look what happens. Their D looks shaky and our attack looks better.

Maybe it helps also having more bodies in midfield than trying to shoehorn Gabbi and Austin in the side as you insist.

Neither do I but that wasn't what you said. You said Vestergaard was signed just for the sake of it and I pointed why we signed him. I'm hoping Hoedt and Stephens don't play a first team game all season.

It seems that he was, ie from what I've seen it it's impossible to see how he improves the team and/or complements the other defenders. If he was brought in as a Hoedt upgrade with mobile CB's around him I could understand, but as this game shows, playing them together ain't a good plan. Proper scouting should have highlighted that.

A signing for the sake of a signing.

HTH

Give it a bloody rest.

The first game is next week

HTH

Exactly they are a vastly better side on a lower budget with lower salaries and two weeks less peparation

That is exactly what is worrying!

Les Reed's destruction of the team and the fan bond, coupled with a ridiculous trip to china....

This is the result. Just hope we have enough about us.!

It's a shame Les Reed has been marginalised and not involved in first team matters anymore because otherwise I'd have said that this shambles is his fault.

He's now in charge of season ticket distribution and marketing supposedly.