Official: Sportsbet.io New Shirt Sponsor

Saint86

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think they're too chuffed about it. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think they're too chuffed about it. 

Insignificant against the loss of a 7.5m annual contract lost. Have they announced how much this new deal is worth, I may have missed that? I suspect it’s a fraction of the old based on the current economic climate,

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Apparently we've known about this situation for weeks and were debating about how to release the info. They've tried to do something with the shirts and it's looked rubbish so it looks like they may have thousands of junk saints shirts that can't be salvaged. 

I'm sure Gao would put his hand in his pocket to cover the outlay. So glad we have such a responsible and engaged owner.

On 25/08/2020 at 16:11, Dusic said:

Genuine question - is it obvious that LD was a way of Gao putting extra money in?

He hasnt shown any inclination to do so during this ownership.

One thing is clear to me, LD was a big fuck up. It didnt look right from the start, and Semmens - otherwise logical and clear - gave very evasive answers when asked about them in the fans forums afterwards.

For Semmens to basically say to Adam Blackmore that they were at a loss of how to even contact LD, is quite amazing really, if not a suprise.

It's a good question, and I think the answer is no, Gao wasn't putting extra money in.  You might get to an answer if you were able to ask the players at Southampton and Espanyol whether they were asked to be represented, either as agent or as negotiator for image rights, etc., by LD Sports.  If the initial investment was with the intention of leveraging income from this, and getting a foothold in the lucrative business player repping, it makes sense.  It also makes sense that, regardless of the pressure of such a request coming from the lead sponsor, the answer from the players was a universal 'no'.  

Hence the pull-out after a year.

Edited by Verbal

9 minutes ago, Verbal said:

It's a good question, and I think the answer is no, Gao wasn't putting extra money in.  You might get to an answer if you were able to ask the players at Southampton and Espanyol whether they were asked to be represented, either as agent or as negotiator for image rights, etc., by LD Sports.  If the initial investment was with the intention of leveraging income from this, and getting a foothold in the lucrative business player repping, it makes sense.  It also makes sense that, regardless of the pressure of such a request coming from the lead sponsor, the answer from the players was a universal 'no'.  

Hence the pull-out after a year.

crazy is the word I would use to describe spending £7.5m a year for three years in the hope of persuading players at one club to leave their current agent/management. That industry may be lucrative if you have the right platers, but that business model is the stuff of fools.

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

They've tried sticking something on top! Hilarious failure by all accounts... 

Well it would be wouldn’t it given the LD thing was a bloody great square shape whilst the new logo is longer and narrower. How the hell they thought they would just be able to cover it up was a strange idea.

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

Well it would be wouldn’t it given the LD thing was a bloody great square shape whilst the new logo is longer and narrower. How the hell they thought they would just be able to cover it up was a strange idea.

I suppose it's worth a try if the alternative is just chucking away thousands of shirts. Hopefully they will find a use for them.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, 100%Red&White said:

My mate just told me that Draper Tools are the new sponsors of Havant & Waterlooville. Ewwwwww.

Their manager is a Saints fan, assistant manager another ex-scummer and now they're sponsored by and have their ground named after an 'SO' business with long associations with Southampton FC. That must sit well with the toothless down there.

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to the excellent interview with Toby Steele on the TSP yesterday.  One part that caught my attention was his annoyance regarding the fans reaction to Lander Sports being the the shirt sponsor. I only learned last week, via this forum, that Lander were Taiwanese, not Chinese, and nothing to do with Gao. There were probably good reasons to get into bed with them, although it didn't end well when their business model was shattered by the pandemic. I think Saints are making more effort to be open, but this unrest could have been put to rest very early had the situation been explained properly. 

• 3 months later...

Football clubs could be banned from using gamblings logos on their shirts as part of a massive shake-up of sports advertising, reports claim. 

The Government are weighing up a blanket ban on betting firm kit sponsorships, according to the Times, a move that would hit Premier League and Championship clubs the hardest. Teams from the top two divisions rake in around £110million a year from shirt deals with gambling companies.

Currently, eight top flight teams out of 20 have their shirt sponsored by betting firms - Burnley, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Don't let the anti-gambling zealots ruin British sport - CapX

As a devoted fan of the green baize, this suits me nicely, but it wasn’t always that way. After tobacco sponsorship was banned in 2005, snooker was on life support. Some wondered if it would ever recover. The schedule was reduced to handful of ranking events and a few low-key tournaments offering derisory prize money. In his 2014 autobiography, Running, Ronnie O’Sullivan recalls how the ban suddenly made the game ‘uneconomical’, with players “practising for a month or six weeks between events, with no cash coming in”. They were dark days.

Barry Hearn has since managed to turn snooker around, but that is largely thanks to the Blair government’s decision to legalise gambling advertising in 2007. The snooker calendar tells the story. The German Masters is sponsored by a company called BildBet. A few weeks ago we had a tournament that was once known as the Benson & Hedges Masters, but is now sponsored by Dafabet. Before that was the World Grand Prix sponsored by Coral. In December we had the UK Championship sponsored by Betway. The Champion of Champions is sponsored by 888sport. The Championship League is sponsored by BetVictor.