Official: Sportsbet.io New Shirt Sponsor

Saint86

3 hours ago, benjii said:

I doubt the break clause would have allowed them to leave this late in the summer.

Agreed. You'd think any renewal or cancelation would need to take place 3 months before in order for the club to have time to find a replacement, but if the contract is with yourself perhaps you didn't bother with a contract.

The whole thing is bizarre

8 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Don’t worry, we will. The only time we nearly didn’t have a sponsor was at the height of the Branfoot protests when Dimplex stepped up late on. Different situation now with respected manager and improving team. Gao is a problem but I think most of the Chinese ‘owners’ will be told to sell clubs and he’s been looking to for a while anyway. Having a bone fide sponsor, which we will get, is better for the brand than a questionable one/nonentity. 

We didn’t have a sponsor in league one with the the sash shirt either. That was due to Cortese f*cking up but was spun as us having the choice of loads but we decided not to have one that year.

Edited by Turkish

Our communicative and trustworthy owner must have known from the beginning LD Sports was a smokescreen company, noone outside of China has a bloody clue who they were or what they did... Hope gao finds a buyer and leaves the club the hell alone, he makes kat look good but any buyer he agrees to will also no doubt be questionable.

Just now, Mr X said:

Our communicative and trustworthy owner must have known from the beginning LD Sports was a smokescreen company, noone outside of China has a bloody clue who they were or what they did... Hope gao finds a buyer and leaves the club the hell alone, he makes kat look good but any buyer he agrees to will also no doubt be questionable.

Any new buyer will face a much tougher test to get approval, so i'm not really worried on that side of things! 

Recently lots of whispers about new Yank owners 👍

13 minutes ago, djharvey said:

Any new buyer will face a much tougher test to get approval, so i'm not really worried on that side of things! 

Recently lots of whispers about new Yank owners 👍

Oh that's looking more positive..... without being deemed "racist" anyone but the Chinese right now, Wonder if LD Sports will be investigated for potential money laundering via Our sponsorship

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Top 11 team in one of the most high profile leagues in the world shouldn't have too much issue finding a decent sponsor surely...?

It shouldn't, but the global pandemic may make things trickier than normal finding a company willing to spend millions on advertising.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mowgli said:

I think a few of you need to read the article in more detail.  It is not about LD Sport being a dodgy company,  Two Premier League clubs with Chinese sponsors are affected and one Championship club.  It is entirely political / economic.  The club are already looking at ways to support fans who have already purchased shirts.  Ownership is unaffected.

LD sports are a dodgy company and have been from day.dot.

Some sort of vehicle, linked with Lander Sports, which is linked with Gao. Money movement etc. This article isn't saying they're dodgy, no, but I think everyone can see they are dodgy.

11 hours ago, Dusic said:

Was very suprised there wasn't more made of LD Sports in the local media at the time - but I guess they are afraid to rock the boat.

I've always wondered why no local journos have ever expressed any concern or doubts about LD Sports (to my knowledge). Indeed, I seem to remember at least one local journalist/reporter (Adam Blackmore rings a bell) coming out and declaring that there was nothing fishy about LD Sports. As you say, wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of not wanting to burn bridges with the club.

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, Mowgli said:

I think a few of you need to read the article in more detail.  It is not about LD Sport being a dodgy company,  Two Premier League clubs with Chinese sponsors are affected and one Championship club.  It is entirely political / economic.  The club are already looking at ways to support fans who have already purchased shirts.  Ownership is unaffected.

Only my view, but I think they will say ownership is unaffected, because if they say anything other, and even hint that Gao needs to get out quickly, his asking price for the club will plummet and other will come around sniffing a bargain. Again, only my view but I think if Gao got offered the right price he'd be off in a flash....hopefully. From what I've seen he has zero interest in the club and any plans he may have had for developing areas around Southampton will have probably gone up in smoke in the current China v Rest of The Western World political situation.  

As regards new sponsorship; the way we finished the season (post Lock Down) will surely benefit us. Much better than if we'd scraped home with a Pellegrino/Hughes character at the helm.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

All very bizarre and dodgy. I'm trying to work out if this is now a very valuable collector's item or not! https://www.southamptonfc.com/store/saints-memorabilia/20-21-framed-signed-shirt/c-1/c-261/p-3192

400 notes!......... Blimey I might have to set my alarm now to be first in the queue for next years concourse sale when that'll be down to 20 quid.

However win the league and that £400 will be mere bobbins compared to what you could sell it on for. ☺️

34 minutes ago, Marching Halos said:

Alot of tesla's coming into docks and a big US company. 

Good sponsor for saints?

Also...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17768553.electric-car-giant-tesla-plans-open-service-centre-southampton/

Thanks for the update - I have a customer with one on order due to arrive soon - she will be pleased with the update! 

Did you know that Tesla anoraks actually track shipments of the cars - she knew hers was in the Panama canal the other day thanks to someones work on t'internet!! 

Right Intermission over .................... back to Squirrel Spo..........sorry LD Sports and Saints.

Sorry - I haven't been through the whole thread, so this may be well known. I just noticed that LD Sports are the main shirt sponsor of Espanyol too. I guess I missed this news. https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17851448.ld-sports-now-sponsor-southampton-espanyol/

The shirts on sale on their website don't have a logo on the front: https://shop.rcdespanyol.com/en/1478-equipaciones-2020-21

Liu Zhiqiang certainly doesn't lack funds. He is a billionaire listed in the Forbes China Rich List. The issue is the cold war that Trump and his junior partner Boris have started with China. Boris obeying Trump's order to scrap the Huawei deal was the final straw for the Chinese government so they have withdrawn their backing for Chinese investment in the UK and that includes LD Sports. I guess the investment will be diverted elsewhere in Europe. It will be interesting to see what happens at Espanyol, as they have just been relegated so they wouldn't be particularly attractive to any sponsor.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1090141/table-tennis-ld-sports-ittf

27 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

The shirts on sale on their website don't have a logo on the front: https://shop.rcdespanyol.com/en/1478-equipaciones-2020-21

Yep... their whole kit launch was with no sponsor... all a tad curious....

https://www.rcdespanyol.com/es/actualidad/las-nuevas-equipaciones-20-21-presentadas/_n:11426/

Edited by trousers

23 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Liu Zhiqiang certainly doesn't lack funds. He is a billionaire listed in the Forbes China Rich List. The issue is the cold war that Trump and his junior partner Boris have started with China. Boris obeying Trump's order to scrap the Huawei deal was the final straw for the Chinese government so they have withdrawn their backing for Chinese investment in the UK and that includes LD Sports. I guess the investment will be diverted elsewhere in Europe. It will be interesting to see what happens at Espanyol, as they have just been relegated so they wouldn't be particularly attractive to any sponsor.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1090141/table-tennis-ld-sports-ittf

Yeah lets forget the Uigher muslims, and the ripping up of the Sino - British agreement for Hong Kong.

but back to the Hooters kit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Blimey this is a real sh*tshow. The club are owed a hell of a lot of cash from this and they've scarpered. We should hear more about it on Friday. West Quay shop isn't going to be around any more. 

Thats terrible. I hope the staff of the West Quay  store are redeployed somewhere.  West Quay's rents are very high so a fair few pounds will be saved by not being open there.

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Blimey this is a real sh*tshow. The club are owed a hell of a lot of cash from this and they've scarpered. We should hear more about it on Friday. West Quay shop isn't going to be around any more. 

Not surprised at all. The club obviously need to cut costs somewhere, so with less footfall through places like West Quay, it makes sense to shelve that place.

It's a shame, but it's all kind of inevitable really.

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Blimey this is a real sh*tshow. The club are owed a hell of a lot of cash from this and they've scarpered. 

So LD Sports aren't a Gao shell company, they're a completely separate entity...? Or is it Gao that has scarpered...? 

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

So LD Sports aren't a Gao shell company, they're a completely separate entity...? Or is it Gao that has scarpered...? 

Genuinely not sure about the company but we are owed tens of millions and seemingly we aren't getting it. Pretty terrible news in the middle of a pandemic and not the sort of figure a club the size of saints can just swallow. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Genuinely not sure about the company but we are owed tens of millions and seemingly we aren't getting it. Pretty terrible news in the middle of a pandemic and not the sort of figure a club the size of saints can just swallow. 

It was a £7.5m a year deal. have they not paid us anything?

If LD Sports is completely unconnected to Gao then surely no-one in the higher echelons of the club can be surprised they've turned out to be bogus given the obvious fabrication and amateurism that their website purveyed at the time (and still does to a certain degree)...? #squirrel 

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, trousers said:

If LD Sports is completely unconnected to Gao then surely no-one in the higher echelons of the club can be surprised they've turned out to be bogus given the obvious fabrication and amateurism that their website purveyed at the time (and still does to a certain degree)...? #squirrel 

I don't actually know but maybe Gao insisted they go ahead with it? It's not like you'd voluntarily dump a legit sponsor like virgin and dive feet first into something with these shady characters. The extent to which Gao is involved I have no idea but if the rumours I've heard about a takeover moving forward are true, maybe Gao just wants to end his association with the club with no more financial outlay? 

• Like 1