Coronavirus

whelk

If it hadn’t been reported then we would never have known about it. And nobody would have been infected.

There has to be rules, otherwise nothing would change. The police have to enforce the rules otherwise they will just be ignored. It's not rocket science.

From a selfish point of view, I could safely pop to a beach near me and spend the day sunbathing in a secluded spot with next to no risk of spreading anything. But if the police let me do it they would have to let everyone else and you end up with thousands of people out and about as usual. The police have no option but to make examples of people and they were 100% right to fine these selfish idiots.

There has to be rules, otherwise nothing would change. The police have to enforce the rules otherwise they will just be ignored. It's not rocket science.

From a selfish point of view, I could safely pop to a beach near me and spend the day sunbathing in a secluded spot with next to no risk of spreading anything. But if the police let me do it they would have to let everyone else and you end up with thousands of people out and about as usual. The police have no option but to make examples of people and they were 100% right to fine these selfish idiots.

I'm not saying that we should all be allowed to do likewise, but whilst the police are out persecuting motorists there is plenty of other stuff going on that is far more virus-friendly.

I'm not saying that we should all be allowed to do likewise, but whilst the police are out persecuting motorists there is plenty of other stuff going on that is far more virus-friendly.

Persecution implies punishment to people who have committed no wrong doing, which these people clearly had. It's a punishment, it's supposed to be a deterrent and not very nice, otherwise everyone can just do what they want and the Police will just say, "oh please don't do that."

Again, your argument seems to revolve around there being other, worse things happening, which is never a defence for anything.

Are you serious or on a wind up? It's pretty obvious. On a long trip you'll likely stop for fuel, a pee, food, a break etc. On a 2 mile trip you won't. The more we stop, the more we come into contact with others, doors, etc etc. Plus a 200 mile trip brings with it a much greater chance of a breakdown thus 3rd party contact, and/or an accident thus monopolising medical staff and hospital space.

Will you not come in to contact with anyone or touch anything on a 2 mile trip?

But the 'rules' / legislation state that the police should ask them to leave the place where they are and return home in the first instance. The police have therefore NOT followed the rules by going straight to issuing a fine.

Will you not come in to contact with anyone or touch anything on a 2 mile trip?

No. I'll make sure I've had a pee before hand and have sufficient fuel and food/fluid for such an arduous journey. The 200 mile journey on the other hand is a different matter.

But the 'rules' / legislation state that the police should ask them to leave the place where they are and return home in the first instance. The police have therefore NOT followed the rules by going straight to issuing a fine.

No, the regulations make it a judgement call, and if it is felt necessary a fine for a 'first offence' may be ruled appropriate.

Cool, so I can completely ignore all public health instructions, hop in my car and drive down to Cornwall. There’s no reason not to, worst case scenario the Police will stop me and tell me to go home, so I’ve got nothing to lose by trying.

Cool, so I can completely ignore all public health instructions, hop in my car and drive down to Cornwall. There’s no reason not to, worst case scenario the Police will stop me and tell me to go home, so I’ve got nothing to lose by trying.

I’ve heard it’s a smooth run down there at the moment

Regulations never make anything a judgement call.

Fixed penalty notices

10.—(1) An authorised person may issue a fixed penalty notice to anyone that the authorised person reasonably believes

(a)has committed an offence under these Regulations

Fixed penalty notices

10.—(1) An authorised person may issue a fixed penalty notice to anyone that the authorised person reasonably believes

(a)has committed an offence under these Regulations

Selective quoting doesn't prove your point. I've already posted earlier in the thread the full regulation regarding people "away from home" and how they should be treated.

Maybe you dozed off when this was discussed yesterday, but from your own link :

New public health regulationsExternal Link have been put in place to strengthen the powers the police have to reduce the spread of the virus.

Individuals will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

going out for one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household

Technically the family considered themselves to be going for their one form of exercise a day, with members of their household.

There is nothing in the legislation that limits the distance a person can travel to achieve this.

Forget the police take on it, check the regulations. They are packed with ambiguity and discretion.

Of course. As is law in general. The police has the discretion to decide what is appropriate in a given case - there is no absolutely nothing preventing it from issuing a £60 fine for a first offence which I have no issue with at all.

Of course. As is law in general. The police has the discretion to decide what is appropriate in a given case - there is no absolutely nothing preventing it from issuing a £60 fine for a first offence which I have no issue with at all.

Agreed on both fronts.

Technically the family considered themselves to be going for their one form of exercise a day, with members of their household.

There is nothing in the legislation that limits the distance a person can travel to achieve this.

The government has already provided guidance on how to interpret exercising - people should stay local and use open spaces near to their home where possible and not travel unnecessarily for exercise. The police used its legal discretion, taking account of this guidance in a way that is perfectly appropriate and proportionate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-guidance-on-access-to-green-spaces

Edited by shurlock

Maybe you dozed off when this was discussed yesterday, but from your own link :

There's nothing on the regs (save for Wales) which limits the exercise to one a day. S. 6(2)(b)

Selective quoting doesn't prove your point. I've already posted earlier in the thread the full regulation regarding people "away from home" and how they should be treated.

So, a family driving up to the Lake District from Middlesex and intercepted by Lancashire Police at junction 34 of the M6 should get a warning, and only if they try the same trick again get the fine ? What if they decide that their second trip should be to the Yorkshire Dales, so it might be the South Yorkshire Police this time, who are unaware of the first incident so they just get another warning. As Egg states, and as we both have demonstrated by our quoting of the Law, the regulations are vague and in part ambiguous, but for numpties making ridiculous and entirely unnecessary extended pleasure trips I am fully behind the Police.

The way each force police this will be determined by advice from their Chief. I can only say that for Hampshire it's being very much done in an advisory way. I'm not aware of there being any particular problems relating to large gatherings or a disproportionate number of fines.

In other news my brother in law's hospital was the one just covered by the programme on C4. They seem to have things under control there which is good to see. As long as people keep being sensible and carry on socially distancing the number of available beds will stay higher than demand.

Can't believe someone on here is arguing that a driver 250 miles from home isnt acting irresponsibly enough to not warrant a fine, yet think's old people with their grand kids are being irresponsible. Someone is having a Weston.

As I read it the point was about the size of the penalty and not the culpability.

Not the point though, is it. The punishment must fit the crime.

It's absolutely the point. Don't travel, stay local when it's necessary for food/medicine /excersise, and don't visit friends / family is a pretty simple message.

I have to say that you confuse me. You appear to advocate travel from hotspots in the UK but not from hotspots overseas. On one hand you understand the risk, but on the other seem oblivious to it. Make your mind up.

Edited by egg

How did he do that? You think there was a lesser risk if he stayed shopping and exercising in high density London?
It's pretty simple. We've been told not to travel hundreds of miles from our home to prevent the spread of the disease. If you travel hundreds of miles under those restrictions and without a proper reason then don't complain if you get fined. If you're dumb enough to do it despite the warnings then you deserve everything you get imo. I'll leave it to others to argue about how infectious one course of action is over another as it's not really relevant.

How did he do that? You think there was a lesser risk if he stayed shopping and exercising in high density London?

Yes, it's been covered already in the last few pages why. Shopping is essential, exercise is certainly recommended, they are both different to making a purely recreational trip hundreds of miles.

It's absolutely the point. Don't travel, stay local when it's necessary for food/medicine /excersise, and don't visit friends / family is a pretty simple message.

I have to say that you confuse me. You appear to advocate travel from hotspots in the UK but not from hotspots overseas. On one hand you understand the risk, but on the other seem oblivious to it. Make your mind up.

Yet you cannot see that there is a difference between domestic travellers and incomers from overseas. One is a known risk because the history is known, the other is an unknown risk.

And I am not advocating travel from UK hotspots am I.

It's pretty simple. We've been told not to travel hundreds of miles from our home to prevent the spread of the disease. If you travel hundreds of miles under those restrictions and without a proper reason then don't complain if you get fined. If you're dumb enough to do it despite the warnings then you deserve everything you get imo. I'll leave it to others to argue about how infectious one course of action is over another as it's not really relevant.

Of course it’s relevant. We must never, ever lose sight of the purpose of this mini-lockdown or else the regulations become and end in themselves.

Of course it’s relevant. We must never, ever lose sight of the purpose of this mini-lockdown or else the regulations become and end in themselves.
No it isn't at all. You've been told not to do something by the government in order to get the lockdown finished as quickly as possible. If you choose to ignore that then you should be fined and punished. It really is that simple because if everyone decided to drive 200 miles it's very likely that this would get a hell of a lot worse.

Yet you cannot see that there is a difference between domestic travellers and incomers from overseas. One is a known risk because the history is known, the other is an unknown risk.

And I am not advocating travel from UK hotspots am I.

Unless I misunderstand you, it appears to be your point that UK travel over distance is ok. If that isn't your point, then what is it?

Your first point is nonsensical. Covid is rampant in the UK. Explain how someone who is showing no symptoms coming in from an overseas hotpot like Milan is any more or less of a danger than someone without symptoms travelling around the UK from a UK hotpot. The reality is that they are an equal risk, hence the attempt at locking down internal travel.

No it isn't at all. You've been told not to do something by the government in order to get the lockdown finished as quickly as possible. If you choose to ignore that then you should be fined and punished. It really is that simple because if everyone decided to drive 200 miles it's very likely that this would get a hell of a lot worse.

It isnt hard to understand.

I think he is trolling now.

Because they've forced to stay in high density cities rather than social distancing elsewhere?

Because they’ve come into contact, either directly or indirectly, with someone who had the virus. The more people travel around, the more easily it’s spread. Some travel and contact is unavoidable, travelling from Middlesex to the Lakes is completely unnecessary.

If they lived in Lewisham or Croydon and they’d driven down the A3 to Ockham common for a walk, I could tolerate that. There’s no need to stop at any services, use any shops, you’re staying roughly in the same area and just trying to get some basic exercise. What this family did goes way beyond that an is completely unnecessary.

If you don’t put a stop to this sort of thing, everywhere becomes an inner city ‘hotspot’.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus