Coronavirus

whelk

The wife's place/trust has oodles of PPE.

10,000 (more in many cases now) items delivered at least weekly.

It is fairly strict on when/how it is used but their 'Line to Take' is to contsantly say they are very short in order to maintain pressure. Which was demonstrated a couple of weeks ago in a local article showing staff using eye protection donated from one of the local schools.....only for them to put on the correct PPE once the local journo went.

Issue they have at the trust, every man, woman and HCA believes (rightly or wrongly) they should be donning full PPE no matter what the scenario. That simply can't be achieved.

Cheers for backing up what I said

I think schools are providing a more useful service, nationally, and it fits with the plan to gradually introduce controls.

The press conference was good, I didn't hear all of it, but I think the theme of tomorrow's one needs to be about the over arching strategy. People need to understand the objective is not to stop everyone getting the virus. Loads of people will catch it.

The "shut everything everywhere now now now" nutcases need this explaining to them.

Nutcases.

Cheers for backing up what I said

That's one hospital, mine hasn't got enough goggles or face shields. A local academy made and donated 35 face shields and these were distributed to the wards to be used. We have FFP2 masks which aren't sufficient and non waterproof FFP3s which can't be worn without a face shield.

I would suggest that those saying they haven't got enough are not lying.

My father in law lost his fight with the virus last night. Worryingly they now believe he picked it up in the rest home and not in hospital. Doctors were telling my Mrs that it’s going to devastate these places, and that generation. Horrific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our condolences to your Good Lady and to your families.

My father in law lost his fight with the virus last night. Worryingly they now believe he picked it up in the rest home and not in hospital. Doctors were telling my Mrs that it’s going to devastate these places, and that generation. Horrific.

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and your family.

My condolences to you and your wife.

I don’t know the age of people on here, but I’d imagine quite a few sit in the middle aged category.

My wife has now lost her Mum, sister & dad in a 3 year period, so was crying & telling the staff she couldn’t lose her husband as well. The advise they gave her for the 40-60 age group was;

1. Give up smoking (I don’t, but they didn’t know that)

2. lose weight

3. Prey you’re lucky

They emphasised it’s never too late, within 2 weeks of following that advise you’ll increase your chances of fighting it off.

Really sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with you and your wife.

Sorry to hear that Duck.

Sadly I think a lot of that advice will fall on deaf ears. There're already plenty of people ignoring the social distancing and lock down rules and if people aren't put off smoking and obesity by things like heart disease and lung cancer, I doubt this will chance the minds of many.

Sad news and condolences to you and yours.

Makes me even madder about the number of 'old' people out and about for a stroll along the seaside that I saw whilst out on the bike. Most of them 60+ walking around without a care in the world, some with grandkids in tow FFS.

Certainly makes you question why we are all doing what we're doing, knowing that the economical pain to come will be biblical, when the very people we are 'protecting' haven't a care in the world and continue as if nothing is happening.

Makes me even madder about the number of 'old' people out and about for a stroll along the seaside that I saw whilst out on the bike. Most of them 60+ walking around without a care in the world, some with grandkids in tow FFS.

Certainly makes you question why we are all doing what we're doing, knowing that the economical pain to come will be biblical, when the very people we are 'protecting' haven't a care in the world and continue as if nothing is happening.

You are ‘madder’ because you have heard someone has passed away? Are you watching any news?

It seems all this righteous condemning of non social distancing is seen and posted on here by people on who are not exactly staying in themselves.

I only go out for a run 4 or 5 times a week and seen pretty decent behaviour.

I don’t know the age of people on here, but I’d imagine quite a few sit in the middle aged category.

My wife has now lost her Mum, sister & dad in a 3 year period, so was crying & telling the staff she couldn’t lose her husband as well. The advise they gave her for the 40-60 age group was;

2. lose weight

3. Prey you’re lucky

They emphasised it’s never too late, within 2 weeks of following that advise you’ll increase your chances of fighting it off.

Sorry to hear your news

That advice is pretty standard although MLG may challenge point 3.

There is a huge luck element to health. Me and missus both come from healthy stock and none of our kids have any health issues so far. Given up smoking years ago but this should be a wake up call to smokers but won’t be.

Eat less and healthier and exercise more is very simple and sensible. Although lockdown probably making loads of us snack more out of boredom.

You are ‘madder’ because you have heard someone has passed away? Are you watching any news?

It seems all this righteous condemning of non social distancing is seen and posted on here by people on who are not exactly staying in themselves.

I only go out for a run 4 or 5 times a week and seen pretty decent behaviour.

Yes, madder than a March hare.

I was out exercising, on my bike, alone, with absolutely no intention of engaging with another human being apart from the odd friendly nod or wave to passing cyclists - pretty sure we're still allowed to do this! I shall be confined to the house for the remainder of the day like I'm supposed to be!

They are doing nothing wrong. Stop being mad and look after your own health.

2. lose weight

3. Prey you’re lucky

Sad new Lord D. I hope that your wife is OK.

Wait until you find out how many 60+ year olds are still forced to work 40 hours a week.

There’s nothing wrong with getting some exercise and fresh air.

Long, but interesting, comparison between UK and Ireland:

I haven't tried to verify any of the stats cited but I assume they are accurate.

Thanks, very interesting and helpful to see how we've obviously been failed by the government laid out so clearly.

Long, but interesting, comparison between UK and Ireland:

I haven't tried to verify any of the stats cited but I assume they are accurate.

Interesting comparison, the government obviously screwed up in delaying the shutdown. We can all see now how critical time is in a pandemic.

I expect London distorts the stats somewhat though.

With the grandkids?

So it’s alright if they go to work but not if they see the family, this is the message you’re happy to go along with?

Get out there and work, mix with as many people as you like inside the workplace (good luck if you can maintain a safe distance from everyone) but don’t you fücking dare leave the house outside of work hours unless its essential, and tough shît if you miss out on your grandchildren growing up.

Rightly or wrongly, do you not see why people are ignoring the rules?

So it’s alright if they go to work but not if they see the family, this is the message you’re happy to go along with?

Get out there and work, mix with as many people as you like inside the workplace (good luck if you can maintain a safe distance from everyone) but don’t you fücking dare leave the house outside of work hours unless its essential, and tough shît if you miss out on your grandchildren growing up.

Rightly or wrongly, do you not see why people are ignoring the rules?

No I don't. If you have to go to work then you do because you are a key worker and you have little choice. Whilst doing so you take all reasonable precautions you can. Outside of when you have to go to work you should be inside adhering to the rules which will end this thing quicker and reduce the chance that either yourself or people you love will die from this disease. To do otherwise is selfish, irresponsible and an insult to people that are risking their own health.

No I don't. If you have to go to work then you do because you are a key worker and you have little choice. Whilst doing so you take all reasonable precautions you can. Outside of when you have to go to work you should be inside adhering to the rules which will end this thing quicker and reduce the chance that either yourself or people you love will die from this disease. To do otherwise is selfish, irresponsible and an insult to people that are risking their own health.

You don’t have to be a key worker to be allowed to go to work. Anyone is free to do so if they cannot work from home.

This example was not increasing the chance that either they or their loved ones might catch the disease or die from it. Nothing irresponsible about their action.

45% of the country are key workers? Get real ffs

With the grandkids?

Do you know for certain that they were their grandkids? They may have all been members of the same household.

You just don’t know.

Why are you getting so worked up over it? They’re not a threat to you or anybody else and they are not under threat themselves. Let’s keep a sense of proportion here.

My condolences to you and yours.

45% of the country are key workers? Get real ffs
You're either a key worker or have to work for some other reason. Either way, the fact you have to risk your health by going to work doesn't mean you should then be all laissez-faire outside of work, breaking the guidelines and potentially spreading this disease to people who might die from it because you fancy seeing your grandchildren. I know grandparents who are dying to see their grandchildren but they are doing the only thing they should be doing and staying away until the country has some more control. The selfishness of some people is amazing.

You don’t have to be a key worker to be allowed to go to work. Anyone is free to do so if they cannot work from home.

This example was not increasing the chance that either they or their loved ones might catch the disease or die from it. Nothing irresponsible about their action.

What example? People meeting loved ones by definition increases the chances of the virus being spread between households. It's a selfish and irresponsible thing to do and it makes me angry to know that people are deliberately flouting the guidelines because they can't stay inside for a few weeks. Loads of people are doing what they are supposed to be doing and staying home, it's a pity that some people are simply incapable. As someone suggested earlier, maybe those actually being sensible should be the ones given preferential treatment for the disease if it comes to a point where a choice has to be made.

Do you know for certain that they were their grandkids? They may have all been members of the same household.

You just don’t know.

Why are you getting so worked up over it? They’re not a threat to you or anybody else and they are not under threat themselves. Let’s keep a sense of proportion here.

Individuals freely mixing between households- if that is what is happening- is a direct threat to everyone else and that attitude will be contributing to more deaths and keeping the lockdown going on longer. Edited by hypochondriac

You're either a key worker or have to work for some other reason. Either way, the fact you have to risk your health by going to work doesn't mean you should then be all laissez-faire outside of work, breaking the guidelines and potentially spreading this disease to people who might die from it because you fancy seeing your grandchildren. I know grandparents who are dying to see their grandchildren but they are doing the only thing they should be doing and staying away until the country has some more control. The selfishness of some people is amazing.
Yeah all those selfish people who are forced to keep going to work in non essential roles because if they don’t they won’t be paid. A large number of those jobs have zero social distancing because it wouldn’t be possible for the job to be done otherwise. However they’re supposed to get in line and do as they’re told outside of work? It’s a complete contradiction.

I’m sure if they were afforded the luxury of the self righteous and got to work from home or be furloughed they might be more inclined to take the rules a bit more seriously.

My condolences to you and your wife

Yeah all those selfish people who are forced to keep going to work in non essential roles because if they don’t they won’t be paid. A large number of those jobs have zero social distancing because it wouldn’t be possible for the job to be done otherwise. However they’re supposed to get in line and do as they’re told outside of work? It’s a complete contradiction.

I’m sure if they were afforded the luxury of the self righteous and got to work from home or be furloughed they might be more inclined to take the rules a bit more seriously.

Are you hard of thinking? Going to work because you have to is not a choice. You are still risking your health but people who are doing it should take all the precautions they can whilst doing so. Meeting up with your grandkids is absolutely a choice and it's that part which is incredibly selfish and potentially dangerous. Just because you have to go to work does not mean it's then fine to potentially spread the disease further by engaging in activities that you choose to do. It's not a contradiction at all. If you are unable to social distance at work then you have my sympathy but if anything that means you should be being more careful outside of work not to come into contact with people from other households.

Are you hard of thinking? Going to work because you have to is not a choice. You are still risking your health but people who are doing it should take all the precautions they can whilst doing so. Meeting up with your grandkids is absolutely a choice and it's that part which is incredibly selfish and potentially dangerous. Just because you have to go to work does not mean it's then fine to potentially spread the disease further by engaging in activities that you choose to do. It's not a contradiction at all. If you are unable to social distance at work then you have my sympathy but if anything that means you should be being more careful outside of work not to come into contact with people from other households.

Ah the old Shurlock classic of calling the other person thick to make yourself look clever.

Must be wonderful in that little bubble you live in.

Ah the old Shurlock classic of calling the other person thick to make yourself look clever.

Must be wonderful in that little bubble you live in.

No I called you thick because you either didn't understand what I was saying or chose not to. No one has ever said that someone who has to work for financial reasons or because they have no choice are selfish. Its incredibly selfish and irresponsible though to think that because you have to risk your health by going to work that it's then acceptable to go and visit grandchildren. It isn't.

No I called you thick because you either didn't understand what I was saying or chose not to. No one has ever said that someone who has to work for financial reasons or because they have no choice are selfish. Its incredibly selfish and irresponsible though to think that because you have to risk your health by going to work that it's then acceptable to go and visit grandchildren. It isn't.

TBF if I lived in London in a pokey flat and had to catch a crowded Tube every day and go to work, I have some sympathy for wanting to walk round Richmond Park on a day off thinking this is still a day I am less likely to catch or spread the virus.

TBF if I lived in London in a pokey flat and had to catch a crowded Tube every day and go to work, I have some sympathy for wanting to walk round Richmond Park on a day off thinking this is still a day I am less likely to catch or spread the virus.
Well yes but that's not what I said.

Surely that’s a lot worse? I can understand people wanting to do that but if you have to work in London and take the tube, there’s a very high chance you will pick up the virus at some point. If you then spend your day off in the park with friends and extended family, you’re just spreading it around.

I fully sympathise with people wanting to do that but actually doing it is a different matter. The more people do it, the longer we’ll have to live like this.

Surely that’s a lot worse? I can understand people wanting to do that but if you have to work in London and take the tube, there’s a very high chance you will pick up the virus at some point. If you then spend your day off in the park with friends and extended family, you’re just spreading it around.

I fully sympathise with people wanting to do that but actually doing it is a different matter. The more people do it, the longer we’ll have to live like this.

I am not condoning just saying catching tube makes mockery of other precautions- I’d sh1t myself if it was me

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus