Climate Change

Sheaf Saint

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You just wait!

You'll be proven wrong when we have a heatwave at some point later in the year.  Global warming will be the culprit for sure.

When temperature records are continually broken and the frequency/intensity of heatwaves increases as part of a clear trend over time, then yes you can blame it on global warming.

Just because it's raining and a bit nesh in Somerset in early May doesn't prove anything (what exactly is the point you're trying to make anyway?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Not sure what your point is. From the link it says :

The terms “global warming” and “climate change” are sometimes used interchangeably, but "global warming" is only one aspect of climate change.

All I've asked is when does the good bit (warming) kick in?

if you don't know the answer, just say you don't know.

P.s someone else brought up climate change, not me, I'm just interested in the good bit. I thought I'd made that clear.

On 21/11/2023 at 12:37, Sheaf Saint said:

Q&A: Warming of 2C would trigger ‘catastrophic’ loss of world’s ice, new report says - Carbon Brief

Global warming of 2C would see “extensive, long-term [and] essentially irreversible” losses from the Earth’s ice sheets and glaciers, warns a new report.

It would also lead to polar oceans that are “ice-free” in summer and suffering “essentially permanent corrosive ocean acidification”, the report says.

The 2023 “state of the cryosphere” report from the International Cryosphere Climate Initiative (ICCI) lays out the impacts on Earth’s frozen land and seas from sustained warming at 2C and the “catastrophic global damage” that would result.

These impacts would include “potentially rapid, irreversible sea level rise from the Earth’s ice sheets”, the report says, with a “compelling number of new studies” all pointing to thresholds of sustained ice loss for both Greenland and parts of Antarctica at well-below 2C.

This would commit the world to “between 12 and 20 metres” of sea level rise “if 2C becomes the new constant”.

If the UK does it's very best in reducing emissions how much of this 2C rise can they prevent and how much is that going to cost?

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

That article says “weather” and you were accusing others of not knowing the difference between weather and global warming 🤦

See my subsequent post...

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

When temperature records are continually broken and the frequency/intensity of heatwaves increases as part of a clear trend over time, then yes you can blame it on global warming.

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

See my subsequent post...

So what? It was pretty funny how you arrogantly dismissed him as not knowing the difference between climate change and weather yet when asked a direct question about climate change you responded with an article about weather. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Picard said:

If the UK does it's very best in reducing emissions how much of this 2C rise can they prevent and how much is that going to cost?

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/costs-and-benefits-of-the-uk-reaching-net-zero-emissions-by-2050-the-evidence/

Screenshot_20240503_074832_Chrome.thumb.jpg.665a364859bd7ac3ceb8858b52deff15.jpg

1% of GDP by 2050, compared to an estimated 4% of global economy by 2100 if we fail to act...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/climate-economic-costs-rising-seas-will-be-steeper-than-thought

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

When temperature records are continually broken 

Temperatures have been a lot, lot higher in the geological past. What you call ‘records’ are only relatively recent.

14 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not sure what your point is. From the link it says :

The terms “global warming” and “climate change” are sometimes used interchangeably, but "global warming" is only one aspect of climate change.

All I've asked is when does the good bit (warming) kick in?

if you don't know the answer, just say you don't know.

P.s someone else brought up climate change, not me, I'm just interested in the good bit. I thought I'd made that clear.

I just thought you would be interested in the article given your passion for and razor sharp understanding of the subject.

You've probably read it already or even wrote it for all I know.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Temperatures have been a lot, lot higher in the geological past. What you call ‘records’ are only relatively recent.

Yes, but we don't have records for that, only inferences from proxy data.

And as badgerx16 points out, those higher temperatures have also coincided with much higher CO2 concentrations and sea levels. An example of this is the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), which was caused by a massive release of carbon into the atmosphere, likely from volcanic activity.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

8 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yes, but we don't have records for that, only inferences from proxy data.

And as badgerx16 points out, those higher temperatures have also coincided with much higher CO2 concentrations and sea levels. An example of this is the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), which was caused by a massive release of carbon into the atmosphere, likely from volcanic activity.

Could that volcanic activity happen again? And if so, how likely is it?

If so, would that render man's efforts to control CO2 redundant?

49 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I just thought you would be interested in the article given your passion for and razor sharp understanding of the subject.

You've probably read it already or even wrote it for all I know.

I enjoyed the article. Those spacemen really know how to write!  Fantastic stuff.

I also enjoy hypocrits getting agitated over the weather and climate.

15 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Potentially, yes. There's no way of predicting super-volcanic eruptions with any degree of accuracy. And yes, if such an event were to occur, anthropogenic emissions would pale in comparison to the level of CO2 it would release. But we could be talking thousands or even millions of years in the future, so it doesn't negate the point of controlling our emissions in the here and now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Potentially, yes. There's no way of predicting super-volcanic eruptions with any degree of accuracy. And yes, if such an event were to occur, anthropogenic emissions would pale in comparison to the level of CO2 it would release. But we could be talking thousands or even millions of years in the future, so it doesn't negate the point of controlling our emissions in the here and now.

Or we could be talking five, ten or twenty years. Or we could see a series of smaller volcanic eruptions giving the combined effect of a super volcano.

So many unknowns.

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

1. Yes

2. Quite

3. Less relevant 

7 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Ps 3rd of May today - a relatively balmy 9 degrees and only drizzling this morning. Rumour has it the golden orb will make an appearance for an hour or so later.

Early May 1976.

Sunny and warm.

Early May 2024

Overcast, wet and miserable.

Global warming?

On 03/05/2024 at 17:18, spyinthesky said:

Early May 1976.

Sunny and warm.

Early May 2024

Overcast, wet and miserable.

Global warming?

It was so humid on cup final day. Overcast ish too. Must have been all those planes criss-crossing Wembley pumping out chemtrails. 

• Like 1