Jimmy Gabriel RIP

Saint-Reece

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

A great player, versatile and a leader on the pitch as well as a character off it. He was involved in football all his life and this is sad news to those of us who watched him play for us in the late 60s. 
https://www.saintsplayers.co.uk/player/jimmy-gabriel/

He was one of the reasons we were able consolidate in the first division after promotion. One of my favourites playing behind our great forwards. RIP.

• Like 1

I remember him joining us back in the days when I never missed a Dell game. An immediate improvement to the team, a touch of class, real hard worker and proper leadership on the pitch. Something we could do with now, I reckon.

• Like 1

Very sad news. I remember him hitting the bar from about 30 yards in a cup game against Spurs at WHL many many years ago. Was excited by his signing at the time as he was an established Div 1 player from a “big” club and he never let us down. RIP.

Sad news indeed.
I remember him playing for Everton before joining us at the end of his career.
Still an excellent player when he joined Saints who could play midfield or centre half.
Those were the days when Scotland produced many very decent players.
Had the pleasure of playing in the same team as him in a charity game in the 90's

Sad to hear of the passing of one of my favourite all time Saints. Jimmy Gabriel played 220 games and always gave 100% . Can't let this post pass without reminding the older fans of the day he got sent off whilst on a stretcher pretending to be injured in vain attempt to avoid incurring a sanction from the ref. When this didn't work he promptly got off the stretcher and walked to the dressing room. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, derry said:

He was one of the reasons we were able consolidate in the first division after promotion. One of my favourites playing behind our great forwards. RIP.

I agree wish we had someone like him today

If memory serves me well, against Man City, defending a corner, Summerbee was being a bit of a nuisance. Jimmy administered the Glaswegian kiss and summerbee was stretchered off to take no further part in the game. Those were the days! No VAR to complicate matters.

Sad news.

Jimmy Gabriel was an integral part of Saints when I started watching, had been an inspired signing and was a great part of the Alehouse team of the late 1960's.

4 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Still an excellent player when he joined Saints who could play midfield or centre half.

He did a good job deputising for Big Ron as centre-forward at one point, remember hi m scoring the winner v Manchester Utd at The Dell c1970 (when they still had Best, Charlton and Law playing for them). Certainly helped cement Jimmy Gabriel's legendary status in the mind of this 9 year old.

On 11/07/2021 at 10:16, spyinthesky said:

Sad news indeed.
I remember him playing for Everton before joining us at the end of his career.
Those were the days when Scotland produced many very decent players.
Had the pleasure of playing in the same team as him in a charity game in the 90's

Just to put the record straight Jimmy did not join us 'at the end of his career'. He was 26/27 at the time, it could be argued he was approaching his peak when he joined us. Only left Everton because he was playing 2nd fiddle to Howard Kendall, we had tried unsuccessfully to sign him before, but Ted eventually got his man and what a signing he turned out to be. 

Sad news - a class player who wanted to play, wanted to win and was a big part of both, our early days in the First Division and my early supporting life. I always thought that we were very fortunate to have him...and I think when he was at his best....RIP Jimmy, thanks for some fantastic memories!

48 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

How I would love a back 4 of Gabriel, Hollywood ,McGrath and Walker next season . Probably all be red carded in the first half hour of the first match .🤭

Same old right back problem with that back 4 lol, Joe Kirkup maybe?

• Like 1

Sad news. 

I was a young lad walking up Archers Road on my way to the Dell to collect autographs. Jimmy came out of his house just as I was passing.  I couldn't believe my luck so I offered up my book. He smiled, signed it and handed it back.

Much to my surprise, he started chatting to me and we walked all the way into the car park still chatting like old mates. Great guy and a fantastic player for Saints.

Thanks Jimmy...