Gasholders Site

ecuk268

Demolition will start soon as its been passed and then the long process of cleaning the land which will take some time.

It doesnt sound like the club are interested ?  no money i suppose, when the ideal oppurtunity for future expansion is on a plate.

Quite why anyone wants to retain the lumps of metal is beyong weird.

Edited by SaintsLoyal

4 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Demolition will start soon as its been passed and then the long process of cleaning the land which will take some time.

It doesnt sound like the club are interested ?  no money i suppose, when the ideal oppurtunity for future expansion is on a plate.

Quite why anyone wants to retain the lumps of metal is beyong weird.

Why would the club want to purchase the gasworks site for expansion? 

They can extend the ground on the land they own ? 

Though expanding St Marys is not required any time soon .

8 hours ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Wasted opportunity for the club to use this site. Convention centre badly needed in the city or other uses etc etc like we had proposed a few years back by Cortese. 

We dont have a pot to piss in, they’re not going to start throwing up convention centres all over the place.

Cortese never proposed anything. A few exited morons got themselves at it over a few drawing that came out but it was all pie in the sky talk much like our unstoppable March to the champions league with our team of academy graduates 

Edited by Turkish

6 hours ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Wasted opportunity for the club to use this site. Convention centre badly needed in the city or other uses etc etc like we had proposed a few years back by Cortese. 

You'll never sing that

You'll never sing that

We've got a conference centre 

You'll never sing that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, IFHP said:

Why would the club want to purchase the gasworks site for expansion? 

They can extend the ground on the land they own ? 

Though expanding St Marys is not required any time soon .

Beneficial to any club really owning the land around their stadiums, in our case in the future it would help with expansion as the car parking in northam stand would be reduced heavily.  I would be looking at wanting say 25% of the land on whats being sold next to the existing car park. There was a plot of land opposite itchen available a month or so back which again would be useful for club at the right price.

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Beneficial to any club really owning the land around their stadiums, in our case in the future it would help with expansion as the car parking in northam stand would be reduced heavily.  There was a plot of land opposite itchen available a month or so back which again would be useful for club at the right place.

No vision and no money

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Where will they park the Away coaches and how long before new residents start moaning about match-day crowds, anti-social behaviour and excessive noise from the PA and when Saints score the odd goal (although the latter is a fairly academic question for now).  

No complaint can be taken seriously. They will all be fully aware of the proximity of the stadium when they sign any contract.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Is the expansion of Staplewood they submitted 2 months ago not vision and money? Or the millions they have been spending on improving many aspects of the stadium recently?

How Much do you think it would cost to buy the land and build a conference centre?

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is not relevant to a counter about you claiming Saints "don't have a pot to piss in". Yet again, you don't understand how a rebuttal works. 

Yes it is. Also look at the accounts. It’s all relevant. 

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Yes it is. Also look at the accounts. It’s all relevant. 

Nope, it isn't. "Not a pot to piss in" is used to indicate no money, however millions are going into stadium upgrades and Staplewood. I'm not saying it is a huge pot, but there is clearly some money available for significant projects.

25 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Nope, it isn't. "Not a pot to piss in" is used to indicate no money, however millions are going into stadium upgrades and Staplewood. I'm not saying it is a huge pot, but there is clearly some money available for significant projects.

Yes obviously we have some money or we’d be bankrupt 🙄

you bored today Matthew?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The response was to a comment about why aren't we buying land to then build a conference centre.

Some of us think we "haven't got a pot to piss in" in relationship with that concept. I tend to agree.

But you take the opposite view. Otherwise why would you start arguing the toss about it? The post was very specifically about a conference centre.

Personally I don't think we have the money for that, so seems a bizarre point to contest But then, it is you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

We dont have a pot to piss in, they’re not going to start throwing up convention centres all over the place.

Cortese never proposed anything. A few exited morons got themselves at it over a few drawing that came out but it was all pie in the sky talk much like our unstoppable March to the champions league with our team of academy graduates 

Although I understand where we we are at financially the fact remains it is Still a wasted opportunity, the convention centre is just an example of what it could be used for to produce longer term income, I can’t imagine it is costing that much to purchase and once it’s gone it’s done.

it’s just frustrating. 

10 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is not relevant to a counter about you claiming Saints "don't have a pot to piss in". Yet again, you don't understand how a rebuttal works. 

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

How Much do you think it would cost to buy the land and build a conference centre?

£30-50m to design and build a connected conference centre. No idea on the price of the land. 

Anyone with any sense would utilise the gasholders as part of the development, I'm amazed no one has done it in the past as it would rejuvenate the whole area. Something like they've done at Kings Cross in London would look class!

spacer.png

Edited by Mattio

18 minutes ago, Mattio said:

Anyone with any sense would utilise the gasholders as part of the development, I'm amazed no one has done it in the past as it would rejuvenate the whole area. Something like they've done at Kings Cross in London would look class!

spacer.png

Nice idea but far too expensive a conversion for St Mary's. The ones near KIng's Cross (probably the ones you've shown) are listed buildings and starting prices are just under a £million - over £7million for the penthouse! Our market for this development is slightly more down market.

*Just noticed you did mention KIng's Cross

Edited by alehouseboys
should pay more attention!

10 hours ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Although I understand where we we are at financially the fact remains it is Still a wasted opportunity, the convention centre is just an example of what it could be used for to produce longer term income, I can’t imagine it is costing that much to purchase and once it’s gone it’s done.

it’s just frustrating. 

You make it sound like spending something like £50m on real estate development is an absolute guaranteed money machine rather than a potential white elephant we'd be lumbered paying a mortgage on for decades.

36 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Nice idea but far too expensive a conversion for St Mary's. The ones near KIng's Cross (probably the ones you've shown) are listed buildings and starting prices are just under a £million - over £7million for the penthouse! Our market for this development is slightly more down market.

*Just noticed you did mention KIng's Cross

I think you underestimate just how many Russian and Arab billionaires will be queuing up to buy a penthouse suit with panoramic views of Derby Road and Golden Grove

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

No complaint can be taken seriously. They will all be fully aware of the proximity of the stadium when they sign any contract.

That doesn't stop people moving to under the flight path to and from Southapton airport complaing. 

On 11/12/2021 at 23:01, STEVEADAMS said:

it’s just frustrating. 

The club did have some renderings done a few years ago on what a possible redevelopment could look like. Not sure if they're much better than this newest proposal.

http://stadiumdb.com/designs/eng/st_marrys_stadium

• Like 1