Most hated players in the Premier League

FarehamSaintJames

When I first started watching Saints, late60's, the player who already had a 'legacy' with Saints fans was Mike Summerbee. Never forget seeing Man City at THe Dell for the first time, game going on and fairly uneventful until Summerbee gets the ball and the crowd just burst into a spontaneous booing and abuse.

A few years later, and he passed the baton to another City player, Rodney Marsh. I think that reached its peak when he played for Fulham with Best and Moore. 

Charlie Austin - bang average for the last six or seven years. Gives it the old billy big bollocks and hasn't backed it up. Can't take any form of criticism. Has just gone to retire and put on a few more kilos in the Aussie A-League.

Also Jack Grealish again, just because why not. 😂

• Like 1

On 23/06/2022 at 17:24, Badger said:

When I first started watching Saints, late60's, the player who already had a 'legacy' with Saints fans was Mike Summerbee. Never forget seeing Man City at THe Dell for the first time, game going on and fairly uneventful until Summerbee gets the ball and the crowd just burst into a spontaneous booing and abuse.

A few years later, and he passed the baton to another City player, Rodney Marsh. I think that reached its peak when he played for Fulham with Best and Moore. 

One of my first footballing memories is seeing Dennis Hollywood and Sumerbee walking up the tunnel together after their traditional red cards . 

54 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

You have to go back a fair way to know this but google john Bailey blackburn 

Think it was November 1977 (!) in our promotion year. 

Where did the years go ?

8 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

We got our comeuppance on bailey though didn't we? Seem to remember him getting merciless abuse when he next came to the dell (was it for everton by then?) and he ended up getting red carded if memory serves

Blackburn played at The Dell towards the end of the season, and were slaughtered 5-0, but most people at the match only spoke of one thing and that was the relentless abuse at Bailey throughout the game. 

I really wanted to go to that match, but as a student at the time had a job on the Saturday so had to go back for that. It was about the only time I thought of playing a 'sickie' , even considered telling them to stick the job as there were more important things in life( Saints and beer at the time..), but a couple of relatives persuaded me out of it. One of the great games that season but I had to miss it.

Bailey really did get a lot of flak for years to come. I think he became even more dislikable at Everton. 

Edited by Badger

Ricardo Fuller anyone? Not the PL anymore but always hated him. Not just because of his trying to score from a drop ball that he was meant to give back to us that one time but just generally came across a bit of a tit. Annoyingly brilliant on his day though.

Everyone seems to dislike Gareth Bale at the moment for having the cheek to choose his own career path. I think it's terrible that he wants to get as much money as he possibly can whilst spending a year in a City that lots of people dream of holidaying in in order to play for his country in the first world cup in decades.

Disgusting behaviour

14 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Although that was before red cards which didn't come until 1976

I always thought it was the 60's until quite recently when the landlord of my local pub mentioned that he was actually the first player to ever receive a physical red card for Notts County!

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I always thought it was the 60's until quite recently when the landlord of my local pub mentioned that he was actually the first player to ever receive a physical red card for Notts County!

If that's true, what a great story for the grandkids and one to include in a pub quiz. 

Although, just googled it and this appears to be the consensus:

The first person in England to receive a red card was Blackburn player Dave Wagstaff, on October 2nd in a game against Leyton Orient.
The English FA stopped the use of red and yellow cards in 1981 as it was feared that these were part of the problem with crowd violence.
In 1987 "the International Board, the rule-making body of the international game, said that England was out of step and should reintroduce cards for the 1987-88 season". Therefor the card system was reintroduced and the first player to get a red card after this was Luton Town's Mick Hartford who was sent off after just four minutes of the opening day of fixtures.

On 28/06/2022 at 18:39, Kenilworthy said:

Although that was before red cards which didn't come until 1976

Getting a bit MLG there !

Yes red cards came in later, but are now very much in the vocabulary. 

A few years ago, I watched a full replay of the 66 World Cup final, and screamed no at the TV when Banks went to pick up a back pass.

Edited by redkeith
typo

10 hours ago, redkeith said:

Getting a bit MLG there !

Yes red cards came in later, but are now very much in the vocabulary. 

A few years ago, I watched a full replay of the 66 World Cup final, and screa,Ed no at the TV when Banks went to pick up a back pass.

I remember watching the rerun a few years ago, and the thing that stood out were the fairly hefty challenges going in without malice or reaction from either team. Everyone got up shrugged it off and got on with the game.

Pretty sure there were no subs permitted back them so Alf (before the knighthood before I'm called disrespectful) and Hemut Schoen selected their XI who they trusted to go the course. When people marvel at Alan Ball, and Nobby Styles energy during the match it's worth remembering (without taking anything away from them) there wasn't another choice for them or the mangers. No managers in waistcoats to tinker and bugger around to disrupt the teams rythem.

Also saw an old England-Scotland match on youtube from the early 1960's , one of the full backs was injured early on and spent the rest of the match hobbling round, I think Kenneth Wolstenholme made reference to "the poor fellow can barely walk..".

Puts a different light on the play acting pansies rolling around now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Yes he was. And I believe it was on the first day in October 76 that the card system was introduced.

Perhaps we're both sad anoraks remembering such detail, but trouble is the recollections of Saints from the 1960's/70's/80's is much more enjoyable than anything now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Except it didn’t happen

I must have been 6 or 7 at the time, but I am sure I remember a double sending off at the Dell, in the late 60's.  Maybe not, maybe it was just Sumerbee getting stick as he came up the tunnel, or maybe it was another game altogether.

I just checked Duncan, and your book( 1885-1987) doesn't seem to have stats for sending's off. Was there ever a double sending off  at the Dell in the late 60's ? 

On 30/06/2022 at 17:07, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Join us at 7pm each Thursday for our False Football Memory Support Group. First up are Mr Holmes and Mr Watson. They remember us getting hammered 9-0 so that's...um... actually that's a different support group. 🙂

Can you please send me a reminder an hour before, each Thursday?

Richarlison to Tottenham, strengthening the dislikeability of their team still further. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, redkeith said:

I must have been 6 or 7 at the time, but I am sure I remember a double sending off at the Dell, in the late 60's.  Maybe not, maybe it was just Sumerbee getting stick as he came up the tunnel, or maybe it was another game altogether.

I just checked Duncan, and your book( 1885-1987) doesn't seem to have stats for sending's off. Was there ever a double sending off  at the Dell in the late 60's ? 

No not at the Dell. Sumerbee got sent off after a clash with Walker. If you look at ITN we usually mention sending offs in the match summaries 

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

No not at the Dell. Sumerbee got sent off after a clash with Walker. If you look at ITN we usually mention sending offs in the match summaries 

Thanks for that, just checked ITN and it was the start of the 70/71 season, so I would have been nearly 9 .

Mind you,  someone posted a photo of a 3 nil win at Ipswich in 84 on the Archive last week. I went to every single game, home and away that season and have no recollection of the game at all . 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 14:06, FarehamSaintJames said:

Charlie Austin - bang average for the last six or seven years. Gives it the old billy big bollocks and hasn't backed it up. Can't take any form of criticism. Has just gone to retire and put on a few more kilos in the Aussie A-League.

Also Jack Grealish again, just because why not. 😂

My mate saw him at a concert last week, he’s not a saints fan but said he was acting like an absolute cock and his missus kept apologising to people for his behaviour

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anthony - he’s just a seriously overrated player that spins in a circle.

Did you hear the Utd fans cheering when he was subbed yesterday? I 'thought' they were cheering for Sancho, but he got a cheer all of his own when he walked on.

Good old fickle fans! Antony isn't a bad player by any means, but he's not a world beater.

20 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Jacob Murphy's hand waving, and stupid grin when he was a subbed sub get a mention.

Bruno's disbelief at getting sent off, despite numerous fouls and terrible challenge, and general man-child behaviour gets another.

Not in the Greenwood class, but still...

You have to give him more credit, he’s done very well for a fetal alcohol syndrome baby 

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Did you hear the Utd fans cheering when he was subbed yesterday? I 'thought' they were cheering for Sancho, but he got a cheer all of his own when he walked on.

Good old fickle fans! Antony isn't a bad player by any means, but he's not a world beater.

He’ll be sold or loaned out somewhere like Villarreal or Sevilla in a couple of years time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...