Best Third Round FA Cup Away Games

Noodles34

12 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Mine? Think it might have been WHL back in 89, 3-1 I think, at the height of Le Tiss and Wallace, 442 and Donnys free kicks!

Great day, that one. Sure i have missed some more back that one sticks in the mind. 

That was a brilliant one, I was only a youngster but remember it we had about 9000 there whole end behind the goal, didn't Pompey also have an away game in London on the same day? 

59 minutes ago, JRM said:

That was a brilliant one, I was only a youngster but remember it we had about 9000 there whole end behind the goal, didn't Pompey also have an away game in London on the same day? 

They did, they had Crystal Palace away. Before the games two of our fans groups met in Covent Garden to celebrate diversity and inclusion. It was a wonderful occasion i am told. 

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They did, they had Crystal Palace away. Before the games two of our fans groups met in Covent Garden to celebrate diversity and inclusion. It was a wonderful occasion i am told. 

I'd hazard a guess you were there with your rainbow laces and all. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Covent Garden fracas was spurs away in the cup not West Ham .. Pompey had Palace same day ..pompey cs gassed the nags head pub right outside the underground…..arms and legs scrambling out the pub then it all kicked off ! 

28 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Covent Garden fracas was spurs away in the cup not West Ham .. Pompey had Palace same day ..pompey cs gassed the nags head pub right outside the underground…..arms and legs scrambling out the pub then it all kicked off ! 

Yes that's right, WHL in the OP= White Hart Lane. 

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

The nags head? I don’t remember that one.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RedWillie said:

I think i was there. Freezing cold with lots of lads bizarrely waving real  fresh fish around 🤣

Yes it was very cold with some flurries of snow. A brilliant save by Shilton from Garry Birtles kept us in it before Steve Moran gave us the lead. Forest equalised and then Moran got the winner late in the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RedWillie said:

I think i was there. Freezing cold with lots of lads bizarrely waving real  fresh fish around 🤣

Can't recall the fish, can only remember someone swinging a big one around at Hillsborough in the quarter final.

Not necessarily my favourite 3rd round but was a good day out - from the police on horseback pushing in the doorway of the Trent Bridge pub as things were beginning to get a bit rowdy and then realising this mob were making their way to the Trent End (flashback to 1977!)

But certainly my favourite FA Cup run (until the semi), all away, did everyone. Blackburn on a Friday night live on TV was enjoyable. And, of course, you can't mention 1984 without....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldsarum said:

Was at both Forest and Spurs games, and would say Spurs game would be my favourite

Brilliant performance, great atmosphere with 8,000 Saints fans there (all the Park Lane terrace, plus seats behind), plus it was my birthday, a perfect day. 

F*cking scary pub we broke down next to on the North Circular on the way back though!! 

On 04/01/2022 at 11:07, Chris cooper said:

This 'meet' never seems to get mentioned in the Pompey 'Hard Man' stories.

Any reason?

6 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Can't recall the fish, can only remember someone swinging a big one around at Hillsborough in the quarter final.

Not necessarily my favourite 3rd round but was a good day out - from the police on horseback pushing in the doorway of the Trent Bridge pub as things were beginning to get a bit rowdy and then realising this mob were making their way to the Trent End (flashback to 1977!)

But certainly my favourite FA Cup run (until the semi), all away, did everyone. Blackburn on a Friday night live on TV was enjoyable. And, of course, you can't mention 1984 without....

Christ that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!! Like you did them all.

20 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I forgot about that - was a good day out and one of the only games on in London that day.

Many memories from that day out. 

A good win rounded off nicely when we got back to the drive home hearing that Arsenal had lost at York City and Steve Williams had been sent off.

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Many memories from that day out. 

A good win rounded off nicely when we got back to the drive home hearing that Arsenal had lost at York City and Steve Williams had been sent off.

Sorry - have to retract this. Many memories, yes, but not that good a recollection of which round it was as it was 4th round. (Still played in January though).

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Christ that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!! Like you did them all.

I certainly did, in my early 20s back then, my mates and myself were doing a lot of away trips in those days - toughest one on that cup run was getting up at stupid-o'clock for the Sunday trip up to Sheffield (with another 10,000 Saints fans) after heavy Saturday night. Still stuck at the Hockley lights an hour after leaving Southampton!

That Orient trip mentioned was another good day out (gets a mention in one of the West Ham books after they had a pop at a near empty away terrace but claimed it as some kind of scalp!) - we had about 5,000 there (later) that day.

• Like 1

Just now, alehouseboys said:

I certainly did, in my early 20s back then, my mates and myself were doing a lot of away trips in those days - toughest one on that cup run was getting up at stupid-o'clock for the Sunday trip up to Sheffield (with another 10,000 Saints fans) after heavy Saturday night. Still stuck at the Hockley lights an hour after leaving Southampton!

That Orient trip mentioned was another good day out (gets a mention in one of the West Ham books after they had a pop at a near empty away terrace but claimed it as some kind of scalp!) - we had about 5,000 there (later) that day.

Yep SWFC was a trip but then again all of them were that season. Young and ready to see the world (and take it in if necessary)😂

Was in the home end at orient - there was loads of WH in there too but there were loads of other little firms all over that day.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

This 'meet' never seems to get mentioned in the Pompey 'Hard Man' stories.

Any reason?

Cos they got done and were on their toes .. their lad crispin denies all knowledge of it …every saint and his dog was there that day ! Trust me we had a result ! Same as Joyner’s .. like a gambler they never own up to losses !

On 05/01/2022 at 09:06, alehouseboys said:

I fucking love that clip, the limbs in the away end…absolute carnage!!

The fact we're talking about 1984 and 1990 does show you how rare it is for us to have a memorable away day in the 3rd round of the cup. 

If you take any round into consideration I'd include quarter final v  Wigan 2018 as a good one.

Had loads of stinkers though like defeats at Reading, Port Vale etc 

On 05/01/2022 at 17:06, Toadhall Saint said:

Yep SWFC was a trip but then again all of them were that season. Young and ready to see the world (and take it in if necessary)😂

Was in the home end at orient - there was loads of WH in there too but there were loads of other little firms all over that day.

That was a result of our reputation after Highbury semi the season before

I did Forest, Orient and Spurs but can’t remember much about any of the games but all great days. Was an impressionable kid in 84 though and felt height of Casuals. 

Pompey in London was mental and last time the old bill allowed us to be there on the same day. Very hectic day!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Cos they got done and were on their toes .. their lad crispin denies all knowledge of it …every saint and his dog was there that day ! Trust me we had a result ! Same as Joyner’s .. like a gambler they never own up to losses !

They stormed The Hole in the Wall and battered a handful of scarvers. 

went to Spurs in 90. Tremendous experience. First away game for me. Didn't frequent any drinking holes in Covent garden though.

went to Coventry the year after too. A Shearer penalty took it to a replay, which I think we won. Another great experience, although a geezer creating space in a busy away end by having a piss wasn't key to that. It did stick in my mind though for some reason.

Edited by Chez

8 hours ago, Chez said:

went to Spurs in 90. Tremendous experience. First away game for me. Didn't frequent any drinking holes in Covent garden though.

went to Coventry the year after too. A Shearer penalty took it to a replay, which I think we won. Another great experience, although a geezer creating space in a busy away end by having a piss wasn't key to that. It did stick in my mind though for some reason.

Haha. I remember that exact piss!  Caused a huge crowd surge down the terrace.  I got kicked out of that game but managed to sneak back in when they opened the gates for the last 10 minutes.

34 minutes ago, TheCholulaKid said:

Forest away in 1993 was another fucking freezing one. Lost 2-1.  Very randomly someone had an air raid siren of some description in our end.

Notts County...must have been late forties because Tommy Lawton had left Chelsea and signed for them. We were losing then winning then losing, it was 4-3 to us when they got a late penalty, Tommy Lawton took it and Hugh Kelly tipped it over the bar. I was 14 and never forgotten it, 71 or 72 years ago, I think 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dellman said:

Notts County...must have been late forties because Tommy Lawton had left Chelsea and signed for them. We were losing then winning then losing, it was 4-3 to us when they got a late penalty, Tommy Lawton took it and Hugh Kelly tipped it over the bar. I was 14 and never forgotten it, 71 or 72 years ago, I think 

Did many fans travel to away cup games in the 40s / 50s? I've heard plenty of stories starting in 60s (Villa Park 63) but nothing from before that would be good to hear what it was like then. Football special train excursions? 

10 hours ago, TheCholulaKid said:

Forest away in 1993 was another fucking freezing one. Lost 2-1.  Very randomly someone had an air raid siren of some description in our end.

It was rather too exciting for me as my car caught fire om the A34 on the way there and burnt out

On 06/01/2022 at 18:55, JRM said:

The fact we're talking about 1984 and 1990 does show you how rare it is for us to have a memorable away day in the 3rd round of the cup. 

If you take any round into consideration I'd include quarter final v  Wigan 2018 as a good one.

Had loads of stinkers though like defeats at Reading, Port Vale etc 

Unlikely to have many more either as people aren’t bothered by the FA cup anymore. When we were kids it was something to really look forward to with big crowds and huge away following whoever we were playing. Sadly those days are over, these days it’s all about staying in the premier league for most people. You will remember the many posts over the years from people saying they’d swap an FA or league cup final if it meant staying up another year. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Unlikely to have many more either as people aren’t bothered by the FA cup anymore. When we were kids it was something to really look forward to with big crowds and huge away following whoever we were playing. Sadly those days are over, these days it’s all about staying in the premier league for most people. You will remember the many posts over the years from people saying they’d swap an FA or league cup final if it meant staying up another year. 

But the most bizarre fans of all are the ones that don't want us to qualify for the Europa league in case it affects our EPL campaign the following season 

Edited by Noodles34
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

But the most bizarre fans of all are the ones that don't want us to qualify for the Europa league in case it affects our EPL campaign the following season 

Yes that’s really weird, they don’t want us to finish 6th or 7th in case it stops us finishing 6th or 7th next season 🤦‍♂️