God Save the Queen

Guided Missile

13 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

We do this stuff so well, just the right levels of pomp and dignified sadness.

Those young soldiers and sailors involved in carrying and accompanying the coffin in particular will feel proud for the rest of their lives, a tremendous responsibility performed faultlessly.. Regardless of your feeling towards the Queen or the monarchy this was a great day for the country.

Indeed.

There is a thread elsewhere for 'The Small Things' that we do well - this is the sort of Big Thing the UK beats all comers at. And the links of continuity going back to Edward the Confessor demonstrate the nation's collective and continuing pride in it's history.

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'll be honest I thought it weird they cut away to him instead of keeping the images on the Queen's coffin going down into the vault. Last time she'll ever be viewed by the public and they cut away to someone on the pipes.

It was not someone but her piper who played for her every day

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I'll be honest I thought it weird they cut away to him instead of keeping the images on the Queen's coffin going down into the vault. Last time she'll ever be viewed by the public and they cut away to someone on the pipes.

That was an incredibly moving moment and was on the request of the queen, as whelk says above it was the piper who woke her up most mornings.

The way he walked off into the distance with the volume slowly decreasing gave me Goosebumps to be honest. That was a much fitting end, I didn't need to see the coffin fully lowed through the floor - we all knew what was happening there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Apparently they are vicious, bad tempered, and not house trained.

( Gifts from Andrew and Fergie, who are taking them back - perhaps appropriate ).

Somebody I know had a working Cocker blinded in one eye recently by a Corgi. It was in Berkshire, by the Thames. 

36 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

I'm still waiting for the compensation for the land the Queen's Norman predecessors stole from my Saxon ancestors.

( Then again, I suppose those Saxons would be liable for stuff taken from the Romano-British ).

History is full of shit things being done to people who didn't deserve it; generally those with better weapons and more money come out on top then try to ensure they stay there. It's not as if Africa was full of peaceful platonically co-existing tribes before the Europeans arrived, or the Queen drew up and enacted the Colonial policies herself.

Edited by badgerx16

52 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I'm still waiting for the compensation for the land the Queen's Norman predecessors stole from my Saxon ancestors.

( Then again, I suppose those Saxons would be liable for stuff taken from the Romano-British ).

History is full of shit things being done to people who didn't deserve it; generally those with better weapons and more money come out on top then try to ensure they stay there. It's not as if Africa was full of peaceful platonically co-existing tribes before the Europeans arrived, or the Queen drew up and enacted the Colonial policies herself.

Did you read it?

It's not about shit things in history but real events during and since the second world war. In the life time of us and our parents

In 1944, during the Second World War, my paternal and maternal grandfathers in Kenya, Mukanzi Miheso and Indonde John, were conscripted by the British government to fight in Burma (present-day Myanmar).

They were shipped there under conditions reminiscent of the transatlantic slave trade (which the British eternally congratulate themselves for abolishing). Black conscripts were crammed below deck on unsanitary ships for a long, difficult, painful voyage. Food was controlled and rationed by the white people above deck.

My grandfathers were among the lucky ones who returned alive to Kenya after the fighting was over. The colonialists paid one for his service with a piece of Kenyan land that they had stolen earlier as part of the British occupation; the other was given a few shillings with which he, too, bought land.

But many of the Kenyan combatants who fought for Britain and survived, died without being remunerated for their service. Some are still alive and still angry at their treatment, including being paid three times less than their white counterparts.

12 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Did you read it?

It's not about shit things in history but real events during and since the second world war. In the life time of us and our parents

In 1944, during the Second World War, my paternal and maternal grandfathers in Kenya, Mukanzi Miheso and Indonde John, were conscripted by the British government to fight in Burma (present-day Myanmar).

They were shipped there under conditions reminiscent of the transatlantic slave trade (which the British eternally congratulate themselves for abolishing). Black conscripts were crammed below deck on unsanitary ships for a long, difficult, painful voyage. Food was controlled and rationed by the white people above deck.

My grandfathers were among the lucky ones who returned alive to Kenya after the fighting was over. The colonialists paid one for his service with a piece of Kenyan land that they had stolen earlier as part of the British occupation; the other was given a few shillings with which he, too, bought land.

But many of the Kenyan combatants who fought for Britain and survived, died without being remunerated for their service. Some are still alive and still angry at their treatment, including being paid three times less than their white counterparts.

Yes I did read it.

The World was different then, and hopefully decent people have learned to move on and try to make it better.

Notwithstanding, linking the death of the Queen to events that happened 8 years before her accession is an pointless as my expectation of an apology for 1066. The African peoples have as bloody a history in their interactions as Europeans do with them. Constantly harping back does not help, does not heal, and does not address the issues we face mutually going forward.

The British Empire did some very bad things, but attitudes and expectations were framed differently through that period as compared, hopefully to today. I am fully aware of this, but nobody should expect me to apologise or be held accountable for events that I had no part of.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2