God Save the Queen

Guided Missile

22 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Ironic that the only 2 members of the Family to have seen active service are the only ones not wearing uniforms.

Saw a tweet saying Edward was in Marines for just 4 months. Must have been fucking hectic few months to get all those medals

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's nonsense isn't it.

What the NHS is doing is incredulous though. GP's shut for the day, hospital outpatient appointments and routine surgery cancelled (which some people have had to wait months for as it is). Is it just me who thinks that is absolute nonsense?

I know it's only one day and it is technically a bank holiday, but it's a bank holiday with little notice so they should at the very least honour the appointments booked. For the NHS to shut down at a time when they're already dealing with a backlog is nothing short of diabolical.

Can't speak for the entire NHS, but I know that SGH is fully open, even for elective surgery. Mrs Geezer had an email today saying only those with child care issues and those that wanted to pay their respects would be considered for time off, if it could be accommodated,  so not guaranteed.  Mrs G is going in, taking the enhanced wages and a day of lieu. 

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is where it goes too far. I'm all for showing respect and I think it's nice to see at a certain level as this is a big historical moment that a lot of us may not live through again, I didn't have an issue with the football being cancelled and I could see why, but what Centre Parcs and the NHS are doing isn't showing respect. It's just nonsense virtue signalling which is showing zero respect to their own customers or patients.

It's clearly not virtue signalling, it's been declared a bank holiday so most people will want to have it off. My hospitals aren't automatically cancelling booked outpatients or electives and as London based feel they need extra staff on (than a planned BH) to cover for more visitors who might fall ill. So we will have more staff on than a normal BH all on enhanced pay rates and are spending this week phoning patients to see if they plan to keep their appointment on Monday.

It would have been simpler to have had the funeral on the Sunday.

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

People joining the end of the queue to pass the coffin are currently looking at over 9 hours before they get to Westminster Hall.

Sounds about right. My wife and daughter joined the queue last night at 8pm and got into Westminster Hall at 4.15am this morning.

Apparently Truss pre-empted the Accession Council by announcing outside #10 that the King would be called Charles III. She should simply have referred to "The King" until the Council had issued it's proclamation.

( Personally, out of his 4 Christian names I think he should have gone for King Arthur ).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Donuts cause issues

Ok I know I have been away from the UK for a while now, but can someone explain why giving people donuts is a problem?

This is The Sun's coverage - what a load of over-reactive bullshit.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/19803305/this-morning-donuts-jokes-queen-coffin/

Edited by badgerx16

8 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Apparently Truss pre-empted the Accession Council by announcing outside #10 that the King would be called Charles III. She should simply have referred to "The King" until the Council had issued it's proclamation.

( Personally, out of his 4 Christian names I think he should have gone for King Arthur ).

A missed opportunity to have announced Kingy McKingface. 🙂

• Like 1

The name was familiar. I read an article from her about Putin's intention to invade being blown out of proportion by a silly media, and that such a thing wasn't on the cards. Poor misunderstood Putin. A search at the time indicated that she'd also written a puff piece for an industrial scale money laundering daughter of a dictatorial mass murderer (Uzbekistan, I think).

23 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

The name was familiar. I read an article from her about Putin's intention to invade being blown out of proportion by a silly media, and that such a thing wasn't on the cards. Poor misunderstood Putin. A search at the time indicated that she'd also written a puff piece for an industrial scale money laundering daughter of a dictatorial mass murderer (Uzbekistan, I think).

In February she said on LBC that Crimea was a "complete one off", Putin didn't want any more Ukrainian territory, and that Putin did not support the DPR/LPR separatists - as all they wanted was a degree of devolution from Kyiv. She has also said that Putin had no part in the novichok attack in Salisbury. Plain and simple, she is a Kremlin apologist.

Edited by badgerx16

19 minutes ago, The Cat said:

People have gone batshit crazy piling into supermarkets today. Obviously they can't cope with shops being shut for one whole day.

Stock up on your cocktail sausages and cheese straws, it's what she would have wanted.

Wait until they find out Deliveroo won’t be an option either. 

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

In February she said on LBC that Crimea was a "complete one off", Putin didn't want any more Ukrainian territory, and that Putin did not support the DPR/LPR separatists - as all they wanted was a degree of devolution from Kyiv. She has also said that Putin had no part in the novichok attack in Salisbury. Plain and simple, she is a Kremlin apologist.

I vote we depart the ugly slag.

9 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

A friend of Mrs ecuk268 is travelling up to London today to "see the queue".

It's already a tourist attraction. 

Maybe it shouldn't be questioned but why do we have a queue? Wouldn't it have been possible for an on line booking system to have been used? Using say,  hourly slots people could book times that were convenient for them knowing that the longest that they would have to wait would be an hour.

I suppose that no such system currently exists .... but the death of a 96 year old could have been anticipated and a system could have been developed. It would have required some investment in software .... but the administration of the current system with its miles long queue isn't coming cheap. 

Is it because the British like to queue??

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Maybe it shouldn't be questioned but why do we have a queue? Wouldn't it have been possible for an on line booking system to have been used? Using say,  hourly slots people could book times that were convenient for them knowing that the longest that they would have to wait would be an hour.

I suppose that no such system currently exists .... but the death of a 96 year old could have been anticipated and a system could have been developed. It would have required some investment in software .... but the administration of the current system with its miles long queue isn't coming cheap. 

Is it because the British like to queue??

What about all the elderly people and those not online, the camaraderie, the tv interviewing them all. I think it is good and shows people are willing to put up with it. If I was a Londoner would have probably joined it myself. 

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

What about all the elderly people and those not online, the camaraderie, the tv interviewing them all. I think it is good and shows people are willing to put up with it. If I was a Londoner would have probably joined it myself. 

Elderly people who cannot use the internet are unlikely to be able to wait in queue for 10 plus hours with the current system. On the other hand if they could find a nice, helpful tech savvy relative / neighbour they would be able to book a place in the queue with a much shorter wait. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

People have gone batshit crazy piling into supermarkets today. Obviously they can't cope with shops being shut for one whole day.

Stock up on your cocktail sausages and cheese straws, it's what she would have wanted.

If by that you mean ‘can’t go without food tomorrow’, then yes, that includes me. Sundays are already busy because of stupid, outdated opening hours, meaning everyone has to pile in before 4pm, now we’ve effectively double the number of people needing to go today.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Oh that's right. I caught one of her Salisbury bits as well. Lots of years as a Moscow correspondent wiping away any vestage of independent thought, if it was ever there. Puppet reporter.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Still working on the cynicism gold medal....? ;)

It was quickly in my thoughts too. He's been desperately grasping for one for years. Probably like a number of people. But people who didn't have their responses leaked with gems such as..

"I agree but it's pissed me off those old unappreciative c****."

My favourite is...

"I pay taxes and always have done so they have no right to do this…. c****,"

Firstly, as it was him trying to avoid tax, that ruined his chances, for a while. Secondly, if it was paying taxes, we'd all be in line for one. But it takes more than that. Like a few bungs to the ruling party, or...drones on about class system and corruption for 10 pages...  (notes that some decent people do get honours somewhere in there)🙂

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Maybe it shouldn't be questioned but why do we have a queue? Wouldn't it have been possible for an on line booking system to have been used?

If we had to rely on a government based IT system, they'd have to have her mummified, to allow for the thing going online, never mind handling the queue. 🙂

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Elderly people who cannot use the internet are unlikely to be able to wait in queue for 10 plus hours with the current system. On the other hand if they could find a nice, helpful tech savvy relative / neighbour they would be able to book a place in the queue with a much shorter wait. 

People just jumped on trains etc to get to it. Making it an online admin operation  does what exactly? Restrict the numbers that aren’t seeming to be causing any issue. If it is money you want to save don’t think it is costing much. You could just imagine the websites going down and the fuss of people saying FFS all I wanted to pay my respect whilst she was lying in state.

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

If by that you mean ‘can’t go without food tomorrow’, then yes, that includes me. Sundays are already busy because of stupid, outdated opening hours, meaning everyone has to pile in before 4pm, now we’ve effectively double the number of people needing to go today.

what, all shops that sell food?

image.png.a79081d340823fd0e83cd1ade6a09c5b.png

Edited by AlexLaw76

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We didn't have time to shop Friday or Saturday so I popped into Lidl yesterday afternoon. It looked like there'd been a supermarket sweep tournament in there. No bread, meat, rice, only dregs of fruit so I went to an eastern European supermarket in Shirley. It was brilliant - a proper butcher counter, good fruit and veg, nice polish bread, all the staples. I'm guessing it was like that cos it's only Brits who are divs and stock up unnecessarily.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

We didn't have time to shop Friday or Saturday so I popped into Lidl yesterday afternoon. It looked like there'd been a supermarket sweep tournament in there. No bread, meat, rice, only dregs of fruit so I went to an eastern European supermarket in Shirley. It was brilliant - a proper butcher counter, good fruit and veg, nice polish bread, all the staples. I'm guessing it was like that cos it's only Brits who are divs and stock up unnecessarily.

Really annoying that all the big supermarkets have dispensed with butcher counter. All very concerned about the environment and much prefer you to buy vac packed stuff to save a few salaries. Depressing

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

Really annoying that all the big supermarkets have dispensed with butcher counter. All very concerned about the environment and much prefer you to buy vac packed stuff to save a few salaries. Depressing

The Tesco’s (did you see what I did there?) at Bursledon still has a meat counter. You can get them them to cut you a nice thick steak. 

They’re closed today so don’t all rush round.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yep, sad move. The little one at Sainsbury's one was great. This one was brilliant, cheap too, although I was confused that it was halal but there was a whole pig on the bench at the back. 

53 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I also find the banks of self-service checkouts annoying. 

I like them. I avoid Aldi as they don't have them and I don't want to line up behind full trolley's with a bottle of milk and bunch of bananas.