God Save the Queen

Guided Missile

Am a staunch monarchist and a great admirer of the Queen.

But fucking hell, I’m supposed to be playing golf tomorrow and going to the game on Saturday.

Really don’t understand this ‘period of mourning’.  The mourning should be reserved for her loved ones.  I’ve never met her, yes I’ll be sad, she was a great woman, but it’s not really much more than a news story to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Am a staunch monarchist and a great admirer of the Queen.

But fucking hell, I’m supposed to be playing golf tomorrow and going to the game on Saturday.

Really don’t understand this ‘period of mourning’.  The mourning should be reserved for her loved ones.  I’ve never met her, yes I’ll be sad, she was a great woman, but it’s not really much more than a news story to me.

Think you might want to reconsider calling yourself a staunch monarchist maybe?

Edited by whelk

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Something like 8 days from announcing the death to the full state funeral, which my guess will be next Saturday.

My guess, she has died and the period now is part of a media blackout and will be announced tomorrow.

The given wisdom is that if the Monarch dies after a certain hour the announcement is delayed until 8 a.m. the next day. Still, I don't think we will get the "assisted death" that happened with King George 5th to ensure that the timing of the announcement of his passing matched the publication of the first edition of The Times.

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Something like 8 days from announcing the death to the full state funeral, which my guess will be next Saturday.

My guess, she has died and the period now is part of a media blackout and will be announced tomorrow.

In terms of London Bridge her death is blacked out and announced at 6pm so maybe.

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Hope this sad event doesn’t turn into everyone complaining that people aren’t grieving appropriately or similarly from other side people moaning about the tv schedules or what will be postponed. 

On the last point I've been preparing for this and I'm in a much better position than when Diana died.  That was horrible.  I've got Netflix and prime and the internet is pretty good for alternative viewing.  I don't even listen to UK radio stations much of the time so I think I should be pretty much insulated from all of it.  You can never quite be sure though so I'm still a little apprehensive.

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

The reporters all wearing black is pretty telling, seems to be across all channels. Announcement at 6pm I reckon 

It is coming.  Just keep an eye out for increased activity in the Navy bases in Fareham/Portsmouth (for those in that area)

24 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is coming.  Just keep an eye out for increased activity in the Navy bases in Fareham/Portsmouth (for those in that area)

Well as of half an hour ago the M27 eastbound was a car park from Fareham back to Southampton Airport (thankfully I was going the other way). Not sure if it’s related to Liz though.

Funeral next Sunday?

There will be no parliamentary business tomorrow or next week. The Queen’s coffin will lie in repose at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh followed by a service of reception at St Giles’ Cathedral then taken to London, to be met by the Prime Minister. The lying-in-state will take place in Westminster Hall on Wednesday 14th where visitors will be able to pay their respects until Saturday 17th. The state funeral will be held the next day at Westminster Abbey and the burial will take place in Windsor later that day.

Edited by AlexLaw76

Born in Ascot, raised and still live(ish) in Windsor, chorister for the Queen on a few occasions, so I can safely say I’ve lived in her shadow for my near 42 years on this planet. Safe to say I find this sad news. RIP your majesty.

King Charles III. It doesn’t sound right yet.

• Like 2