God Save the Queen

Guided Missile

23 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Stacy Soloman doesn’t see the point in the Royal family. That’s Stacy Solomon who became famous by finishing about 6th on a TV karaoke show 13 years ago.

Are you saying that she has a point, and is already more qualified than the members of the Royal family?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, StDunko said:

Are you saying that she has a point, and is already more qualified than the members of the Royal family?

I have no real interest in the royals and would happily have spent yesterday at a Saints game but to say there is, "no point," in them is clearly nonsense. This is front page news around the globe, the British royal family is one of the most internationally recognised institutions in history. They have the level of international standing that many countries will spend billions trying to replicate by hosting an Olympic Games or World Cup for three weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Stacy Soloman doesn’t see the point in the Royal family. That’s Stacy Solomon who became famous by finishing about 6th on a TV karaoke show 13 years ago.

She seems a straightforward nice person from the little I’ve seen. Don’t know background to story but cynically always wary that there is such a willingness to sensationalise. Doubt she called a press conference to announce her views. I see Trevor Sinclair has rowed back from his tweet. Celebrities need to learn to steer clear of such things when many many people are hugely emotional. Just keep quiet and have respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Did anyone else notice in the photos with Liz Truss that the Queen had dark blotches on her hand. Might have indicated a circulation/heart problem. 

Yes. My father in law has just returned from a 4 week stay in hospital with similar blotches on his hand . Caused by where he had a canula.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I had to look up who she was. Stacey Solomon, not the Queen. 🙂

Might be this...

'A clip of former X-Factor stars Stacy Solomon has gone viral from 2018 on Loose Women.

She said: “I don’t get why we’re so obsessed with these humans that are exactly the same. It could be us four sitting there, I just don’t get it.”

Also on the show, Jane Moore told Solomon that she believed the Royals were “becoming like celebrities.” Solomon agreed saying, “to me, that’s all they are.”'

Goes onto say that she'd work hard if she were given that kind of financial support.

Seems to be 2018, from loose women, unless there's something I missed. Not right after the Queen's death, like Trevor Sinclair. I note Talksport yanked him, while it "investigates"

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

He’s the bogeyman to many but I always find he has interesting things to say

I'm a big fan of Peterson, this is his usual intelligent and well presented analysis. His comments about slavery did put a more positive perspective on Britain with this "issue", the fact that we abolished it first, when still a great world power, seems lost on those who continually want to make this country apologize for it's part in what was a global industry.

• Like 2

I don’t agree with everything Peterson says but he seems to be hated by many for bursting their fantasies of how the world should be by explaining how people and societies actually interact. I’ve seen a few interviews when he’s discussed why we will never have equal numbers of women in STEM jobs, which some seem to interpret as being why women should be stopped from taking these jobs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t agree with everything Peterson says but he seems to be hated by many for bursting their fantasies of how the world should be by explaining how people and societies actually interact. I’ve seen a few interviews when he’s discussed why we will never have equal numbers of women in STEM jobs, which some seem to interpret as being why women should be stopped from taking these jobs.

Well put

If anyone thinks some of the poppy day displays/posters/creations that appear outside peoples houses were mawkishly over the top in recent years, then this November is going to go up a level once the Queen gets bundled in with it all. Probably arm in arm with Captain Tom flying a Spitfire in the First World War trenches.

Edited by CB Fry

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If anyone thinks some of the poppy day displays/posters/creations that appear outside peoples houses were mawkishly over the top in recent years, then this November is going to go up a level once the Queen gets bundled in with it all. Probably arm in arm with Captain Tom flying a Spitfire in the First World War trenches.

You will be first in line to buy the little RAF Corgi plush toy, with it's cute little goggles. 🙂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Presumably at considerable cost the British Legion sent me an unsolicited wooden cross with a poppy attached to it together with a syrupy guilt trip message designed to force me to donate. I did the only thing I could reasonably do in the circumstances and dumped it in the bin. Has made me much less likely to buy a poppy in November as I usually do.     

18 hours ago, CB Fry said:

There's an excellent thread on Twitter highlighting some of the ridiculous tribute posts by certain companies. The Ann Summers one was superb/horrendous. 

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I may be wrong here but the perception has always been that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were quite thrifty with their settlements, particularly post-Windsor Castle fire and the press coverage around funding of repairs. Perhaps this is a normal restructure like when the Queen Mother passed on and Andrew took over her property and staffing but this seems quicker and a bit more ruthless from the outside looking in. Or perhaps the Clarence House finances are in a more challenging position? Hence the swift restructure? 

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

If the Post Office crest has to be changed from EiiR, will it be changed to C3PO ?

King Charles is readying his backing group, The Sunshine Band, to perform at next week's wake.

'Please Don't Go' and 'Get Down Tonight' may not be appropriate for the occasion.

Edited by spyinthesky

13 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Centre Parcs have told all their 'guests' that they have to leave their sites for 24 hours due to the funeral, even if they are in the middle of their holiday.

They've decided to let the guests stay but none of the usual facilities will be open.

15 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Centre Parcs have told all their 'guests' that they have to leave their sites for 24 hours due to the funeral, even if they are in the middle of their holiday.

That's nonsense isn't it.

What the NHS is doing is incredulous though. GP's shut for the day, hospital outpatient appointments and routine surgery cancelled (which some people have had to wait months for as it is). Is it just me who thinks that is absolute nonsense?

I know it's only one day and it is technically a bank holiday, but it's a bank holiday with little notice so they should at the very least honour the appointments booked. For the NHS to shut down at a time when they're already dealing with a backlog is nothing short of diabolical.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What the NHS is doing is incredulous though. GP's shut for the day, hospital outpatient appointments and routine surgery cancelled (which some people have had to wait months for as it is). Is it just me who thinks that is absolute nonsense?

I know it's only one day and it is technically a bank holiday, but it's a bank holiday with little notice so they should at the very least honour the appointments booked. For the NHS to shut down at a time when they're already dealing with a backlog is nothing short of diabolical.

I agree

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The whole country goes mad in times of grief, the Centre Parcs and NHS stuff is ludicrous. Which cretin thought chucking people out of their accommodation right in the middle of their holiday was in any way a sane idea or respectful to the Queen? Cancelling the football I get; I don't agree with it but I do get the principle of suspending things which are fun out of respect for the monarch passing. Other stuff, like the met office suspending updates out of, "respect," is just bat sh*t. As if knowing there's going to be 63% humidity this afternoon is some sort of joyous celebration.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The whole country goes mad in times of grief, the Centre Parcs and NHS stuff is ludicrous. Which cretin thought chucking people out of their accommodation right in the middle of their holiday was in any way a sane idea or respectful to the Queen? Cancelling the football I get; I don't agree with it but I do get the principle of suspending things which are fun out of respect for the monarch passing. Other stuff, like the met office suspending updates out of, "respect," is just bat sh*t. As if knowing there's going to be 63% humidity this afternoon is some sort of joyous celebration.

This is where it goes too far. I'm all for showing respect and I think it's nice to see at a certain level as this is a big historical moment that a lot of us may not live through again, I didn't have an issue with the football being cancelled and I could see why, but what Centre Parcs and the NHS are doing isn't showing respect. It's just nonsense virtue signalling which is showing zero respect to their own customers or patients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

This is where it goes too far. I'm all for showing respect and I think it's nice to see at a certain level as this is a big historical moment that a lot of us may not live through again, I didn't have an issue with the football being cancelled and I could see why, but what Centre Parcs and the NHS are doing isn't showing respect. It's just nonsense virtue signalling which is showing zero respect to their own customers or patients.

Not easy to declare a BH and then say not for you NHS people, many of whom will still be working of course. Centre Parcs was just comical. You got to wonder who made the decision and how it wasn’t challenged by anyone with a modicum of sense.

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

TESCO stores will be closed on Monday.................

Except those along the processional route.

Everywhere will be closed. No doubt be many who will be livid they can’t get a McDonald’s.  Will be a reminder of what Sundays used to be like but many people won’t be able to cope with a 24hour shutdown 

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I thought cancelling football was nonsense. If there are policing issues fair enough but the idea that you shouldn't be allowed to have fun just because the Queen died is just bollocks.

I don’t think it is a question of not being allowed to have fun. Watching Saints isn’t always fun is it? I am sure many people found other “fun” things to do last Saturday.

Anyway, you will all be glad to hear the Center Parcs have changed their mind.

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Who is the doddery old boy in the RAF uniform behind Harry who just cannot keep in step?

It’s hard to tell his age from distance and with a headdress but if he is some 70+ year old who’s given his country decades of service, I can forgive him for not marching properly over a prolonged period.