Cost of Living

whelk

1 minute ago, egg said:

The drop in house prices would need to be huge to bring prices to a level where there can be mass house purchases. The negative equity caused by it will likely be ultra recessionary, and we'll probably have another banking crisis. No government would even contemplate that, let alone action it. 

I want a solution, but I don't see one as realistically achievable. 

We're poles apart on this, so I'll say no more. 

Obviously I don't agree with you because it could be done incrementally but anyway, it's better to leave it here.

Rent controls help existing tenants but long term it leads to short supply & a lack of investment in rented properties .

It also encourages “black market” agreements, depriving the Government of tax, and the tennant of some basic rights. There’s also plenty of loop holes where dodgy employers rent cheap rent controlled properties to their employees & over charge them to live there. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Ive got some bank shares so pay a bit of attention to the issue. Thing is banks are in a very different postion to energy companies. Banks are paying out record dividends, but the share price is bombed out, reflecting that a lot of people think they are liable to go bust again in short order. Barclays is on target to make £9bn this year, but the whole company is only worth £23bn - compared with average ratio historically that a company is worth 10-12 times its profits.  If you start putting windfall taxes on them the share price will tank even further, making them even more liable to collapse - which will lead to the government having to bail them out for hundreds of billions again. 

Edited by buctootim

Record profits for Shell, British Gas, Scottish Power, BP etc etc, but we need to raise household bills to stop them going bust!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67087043

Households could be asked to pay an extra £17 a year on their energy bills to help prevent suppliers going bust, according to the industry watchdog.

Ofgem seems to have forgotten that it exists to protect customers rather than 'big business'.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 18:24, Turkish said:

On 08/10/2023 at 19:31, buctootim said:

Ive got some bank shares so I don’t want them subjected to a windfall tax. 

I’ve amended it for you…

• 2 months later...

i just caught the end of the news and thought i was hearing things. They are putting the price of electric up because of $3b in unpaid bills. These same companies that have been posting billions upon billions of profit every single quarter for the last two years. Can someone tell me i've got this wrong.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i just caught the end of the news and thought i was hearing things. They are putting the price of electric up because of $3b in unpaid bills. These same companies that have been posting billions upon billions of profit every single quarter for the last two years. Can someone tell me i've got this wrong.

It seems the most logical thing to do.

If people can't afford their bills, the best thing to do is make them even bigger, surely?

Still, as long as the shareholders are happy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67725424.amp

Edited by Weston Super Saint

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Expect the cost to go up again because, as a consequence of this announcement, more people will be unable to pay due to the increase.

I'm sure there is logic in there somewhere.

Obviously it feels like we're never going to really see our power bills reduce, so I'm interested in what people have been doing to save energy?

Last Summer we put in 8kw of solar panels and a 10kw battery, and I've been tracking the power savings - over the last 12 months we have saved £2900 in electricity. We decided to put these in prior to the COLC, but it has certainly been a welcome saving (our overall domestic bills should have been around £7500 for this past year).

I have also been thinking of getting a wind turbine - although the up-front cost of those is very high (and they don't half make some noise).

10 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Obviously it feels like we're never going to really see our power bills reduce, so I'm interested in what people have been doing to save energy?

Last Summer we put in 8kw of solar panels and a 10kw battery, and I've been tracking the power savings - over the last 12 months we have saved £2900 in electricity. We decided to put these in prior to the COLC, but it has certainly been a welcome saving (our overall domestic bills should have been around £7500 for this past year).

I have also been thinking of getting a wind turbine - although the up-front cost of those is very high (and they don't half make some noise).

What size house do you live in if your bills should have been £7500?

53 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

If we don’t pay more, then living off green energy will not be a thing by 2030 (or what ever ridiculous year it is set at)

Edited by AlexLaw76

50 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We brought a pizza oven so we can cook and dine outside in our new refurbished garden so sometimes we save on electricity with oven and instead spend £20 on wood every time we use it  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

How much was the solar power and battery set up?

3 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Your savings are one and a half times our total bill.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

£17k - battery should have a 10 year life and panels 25 years. 

We use about4k-5k heating oil a year, grade II listed house so we cant have double glazing or solar (i hate the look of them)I do have a well in my basement and so the water is about 25ft below ground level, I wonder if I can harness the heat from the water to help??

Question re the solar panels, if they are on your roof what happens when a tile slips and you need to get to it? I believe sometimes only the installer is allowed to move the panels to get to it and so that could be expensive

On 08/10/2023 at 19:31, buctootim said:

Ive got some bank shares so pay a bit of attention to the issue. Thing is banks are in a very different postion to energy companies. Banks are paying out record dividends, but the share price is bombed out, reflecting that a lot of people think they are liable to go bust again in short order. Barclays is on target to make £9bn this year, but the whole company is only worth £23bn - compared with average ratio historically that a company is worth 10-12 times its profits.  If you start putting windfall taxes on them the share price will tank even further, making them even more liable to collapse - which will lead to the government having to bail them out for hundreds of billions again. 

I dont have bank shares but dont feel there should be windfall tax on them. Anybody with a private pension I suspect gains from the banks doing well as the pension company will be invested. Its not just a case of if a company earns good money they should be penalised. 

As for the fuel companies, people bang on about renewables etc and want them to provide it, keep taking money from them and they will be less keen/able to invest.

27 minutes ago, OldNick said:

We use about4k-5k heating oil a year, grade II listed house so we cant have double glazing or solar (i hate the look of them)I do have a well in my basement and so the water is about 25ft below ground level, I wonder if I can harness the heat from the water to help??

Question re the solar panels, if they are on your roof what happens when a tile slips and you need to get to it? I believe sometimes only the installer is allowed to move the panels to get to it and so that could be expensive

So glad we're not on oil!! 

Luckily ours are on our tractor stores roof, so we don't have to deal with that (ignore the mess in the garden - half way through finishing it):

IMG_20231216_115911.jpg

Edited by Farmer Saint

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I suspect those figures are optimistic. We’re they premium panels?

Well, they have a 25 year guarantee, so let's see. 

TBH at the moment we're looking at a 6 year ROI, so happy with how it is going. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

British Gas profits increase ten fold 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68303647

poor old centrica though their profits fell to only 2.8 billion

Shell only made $28b profit too

how will they cope?how are the energy bills?

Scandalous that people were given the ability to make massive profits out of essential utilities at a huge cost to the punter. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

British Gas profits increase ten fold 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68303647

poor old centrica though their profits fell to only 2.8 billion

Shell only made $28b profit too

how will they cope?how are the energy bills?

If you read the article British gas were allowed to recoup the £500m they lost due to Ukraine war.Centrica have 9m customers and so they made about £300 a customer or £6 a week.

Indirectly many of the countries citizens gain from this as our pensions earn moeny to keep paying into the pension pot