Win Trophies in a poorer league or compete with better teams but win nothing?

FootballManagerFan

I don’t care what Cardiff and Swansea do. I’d like saints to get relegated and win the championship though. Even when we were run away favourite for league one and had a 5 point advantage at the top of the championship we still managed to cock it up

• Like 3

That’s not the real comparison, though. The real comparison is whether you want to be less likely to win trophies at a higher level, or more likely to win trophies at a lower level.

As far as I’m concerned, I always want to see Saints compete at the highest level they possibly can, and wanting to compete at a lower level would be admitting defeat before we even begin.

As fun as watching Saints lift the JPT was, it was nothing compared to what seeing us lift the FA Cup would be.

As for the league, the odds might be (VERY) long, but we even have a real life example in Leicester that those odds can be beaten to become the best in the land. Probably I’ll never see it in my lifetime, but presenting some theoretical scenario where it’s literally impossible instead of virtually impossible is pointless to me. 

In the meantime, I’ve seen Saints compete in cup finals, win against teams considered among the greatest of all time, I’ve seen the fastest hat trick in history, and after finishing 6th with Koeman, we could finally say there was no team we had never finished above.

I’d still support Saints at a lower level, if it came to it, of course, just as I have before, but always with the aim of wanting to see Saints rise.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 01:30, Turkish said:

ven when we were run away favourite for league one and had a 5 point advantage at the top of the championship we still managed to cock it up

Why I didn't really rate Adkins. Appreciate the ride and for him to get us back to the top, but not to win either league was criminal.  

50 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Why I didn't really rate Adkins. Appreciate the ride and for him to get us back to the top, but not to win either league was criminal.  

Pissy worthless trophies. No one ever remembers and any fan that would gloat about coming top of League One in 2009 is pretty sad. 
And yeah going straight through the Championship to PL in one hit with largely the L1 side was criminal failure for some entitled fans, For me it was a fucking outstanding season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Pissy worthless trophies. No one ever remembers and any fan that would gloat about coming top of League One in 2009 is pretty sad. 
And yeah going straight through the Championship to PL in one hit with largely the L1 side was criminal failure for some entitled fans, For me it was a fucking outstanding season.

considering we've only ever won one trophy it'd be bloody great to have won league one or the championship

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

considering we've only ever won one trophy it'd be bloody great to have won league one or the championship

Console yourself with the fact that England won Le Tournoi. Think we have been champions of a few of the qualifying groups over the years

We went straight through from League One to the Premier League - it was an incredible journey.

I couldn't even tell you who won those divisions back then, because I don't actually care.

But I will always remember every fantastic moment of those promotions, and neither really felt to me like criminal failure at the time. 😊 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

How can you not count the JPT as a trophy when you do count coming 45th or 21st in English league football?

Not to mention the six Southern League titles. Those are even technically top-flight titles, since the Football League and the Southern League were parallel at the time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Criminal eh.

Lets consider that when Adkins took over in league 1, Saints had played 6 league games and lost 4 of them. Saints were in the bottom 3 and 8 points off top. Under Nigel, Saints won 27 games out of 40. We won 13 of our last 15 games. If that’s criminal, lock me up.

In our Championship season, hardly anyone in pre-season called us for direct promotion. If you did, well done, it was far from the common perspective at the time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 18/08/2022 at 19:48, The Kraken said:

Criminal eh.

Lets consider that when Adkins took over in league 1, Saints had played 6 league games and lost 4 of them. Saints were in the bottom 3 and 8 points off top. Under Nigel, Saints won 27 games out of 40. We won 13 of our last 15 games. If that’s criminal, lock me up.

In our Championship season, hardly anyone in pre-season called us for direct promotion. If you did, well done, it was far from the common perspective at the time.

There was a five year plan to get into the Premier League. Our season in the Championship was anticipated to be one of consolidation ready for the big push the next season. Nigel delivered the plan in four years - truly criminal.

• Like 1

you pony boys need a smack of reality, SFC are managing just to hold their own in the best league facing teams with some of the worlds most gifted players and you fancy a trip into the wilderness to win a few pissy pots, :mcinnes: my advice go to a league one surgery near you that should cure you😎