Pele

Turkish

Just a taste, stunningly powerful in the air too. Like a combination of George Best, MLT and Cristiano Ronaldo. Maradona like Ronaldo and Messi brilliant players but Pele the best ever all round forward player for me - 7, 9 and 10 rolled into one. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

When the word legend and the term GOAT get thrown around all too easily, this man’s name will always ring out and be at the top of the pile. Modern football started with him and the moves that so many have become famous for, like the Cruyff turn, invariably came from him initially. A truly great player and a great sportsman, not something that could be said of some of the other contenders for the crown. Those of us old enough to remember the classic World Cup of 1970 will recall the scenes at the end of the England v Brazil match where Bobby Moore, another giant of the game, and Pele paid mutual respect to one another.

RIP Pele. For many of my generation you will always be football’s GOAT.

• Like 1

A few World Cups ago, the school my wife taught in did a project on the WC. Jimmy Armfield came to the school sports day to show everybody his winners medal from 1966, and my wife had her class write to Pele to ask him about his memories of winning. I am not sure if he had any idea where Fleetwood is, but he became a pen pal to a bunch of 7 year old kids in a NorthWest Lancashire fishing town. From his writing he came across as a genuinely nice man.

• Like 1

A magnificent player and person. I remember leaving Newton Abbot Hospital early after the  birth of my youngest daughter to see the WC game V England in 1970 on TV. He congratulated Gordon Banks after that save . How many do that these days?

• Like 2