Block One

64saint

Looks like season ticket holders in Block 1 and 2 are being consulted and invited to a meeting with Toby Steele on what to do next.  https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23192986.saints-discussion-block-1-closure-st-marys/

Anyone going ?   Be interesting if the new head of security ( ex Millwall I believe) is there telling everyone they must sit down remain quiet and not goad opposition fans !!   

Edited by 64saint

11 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Maybe we should make it the Rainbow section ? 

We should, let them have their own section so they feel safe. They could chant to the northam “we’re the lgbt, LBGT, LGBTs over here” in response to “we’re the northam” 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I notice that one of my Facebook friends was invited but was unsuccessful in securing a place. No doubt it’ll be dogooders and saints voice types who are successful. 

Do any of them stand in blocks 1&2 though? It's pretty much lads.

Just now, The Cat said:

Do any of them stand in blocks 1&2 though? It's pretty much lads.

No idea who made the cut, I’d have though this is what that saintsvoice for for. That and of course grassing up this own fans for things said on social media 

3 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It’ll only be fans that Saints want there that’ll no doubt lavish praise on our new safety officer for keeping them safe. 

Of course. A meeting where the out coming is predefined with the participants hand selected. No difficult questions like why away fans are so easily able to wonder round and be shown to their seats. Why they club break their own safety rules by allowing away fans to openly be in home areas wearing colours etc. No doubt some nice club propaganda on the social media with lots of smiling faces praising the great interaction between club and fans. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, charliemiller said:

Older lads most of them , lots of the old archers and under west stand group ...some names .......not youth generally

And I think there's a few even older in Block one who were originally from the Milton end (before it was the family center,) under the Toomers chocolate boxes when it was the  place to be seen if you were 'ard'. Wonder what sort of meeting Toby and his security guy would have had if he'd been around in the 60s and 70s, they would have probably closed the Dell !!!!  

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

I moved from the archers to the Milton end not long before the dell went a few years before from memory, i remember one year we played Man united and the won the title beating us cant remember what year, half way through the second half the back gates were opened and a load of Mancs who didn't have tickets rushed into the Milton singing champions etc ........the manner and speed  in which they were removed would not have made Toby happy but thats how it used to be and the stewards stood back and allowed the lads to sort it basically because the mancs shouldn't have gone in there , clearly tho block 1 ,2 3 and 4 in itchen has different rules .

1 hour ago, 64saint said:

I know we are very accommodating to away fans but inviting away fans into Block 1 is probably a step to far !! 🙄

Well we stole Millwalls head steward, Portsmouths head steward. We might as well get a few more in from a range of teams to make our team more inclusive. 

Yes it did happen.  I went.  Not going to write a long post as a couple of guys from the Echo were there taking notes as well.  10 fans were invited but only 5 or so older chaps turned up which was a bit disappointing. 

In short behaviour of fans in Block 1 hasn’t really changed in the last 10 yrs however the since the CV19 Pandemic and that return of fans, these been  rise in pitch incursions / smoke flares etc.  our fans aren’t the top of the so called bad behaviour table but everyone is under the spotlight from the government/ football ground licensing authority etc.

Club would like to introduce safe standing but need to get block 1 slightly reconfigured and fans back into this area first before they can ask for permission for safe standing. Hopefully this will happen in due course and before the end the end of the season. 

Also considering some kind of flexible barrier ie vertical hanging netting etc stop objects / missiles being thrown.  

Club agreed that they need to do better with the comms / media streams etc. a lot of fans in the Itchen N, including myself, were very unhappy at the email received at the start of the season regarding Block 1/2, moving fans around without consultation etc. 

They also agreed that some of the more Junior / casual stewards could do better and they were looking to give more training etc. 

That’s about it all I remember to be honest apart from I did say there was a perception from us Saints fans that we were being persecuted but the away fans get away with murder.  I said they need to inform us regarding any action taken against away fans so we are aware that their bad / poor behaviour is being monitored and consequential action is being taken even if we can’t see it at the time / during the game. 

Also sorry 1 final thing was away fans in home areas.  Club know there are problems but sometimes some of these plastic fans from thr so called big 6, live locally and have Saints membership so that they can apply for tickets etc.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BILLY said:

Yes it did happen.  I went.  Not going to write a long post as a couple of guys from the Echo were there taking notes as well.  10 fans were invited but only 5 or so older chaps turned up which was a bit disappointing. 

In short behaviour of fans in Block 1 hasn’t really changed in the last 10 yrs however the since the CV19 Pandemic and that return of fans, these been  rise in pitch incursions / smoke flares etc.  our fans aren’t the top of the so called bad behaviour table but everyone is under the spotlight from the government/ football ground licensing authority etc.

Club would like to introduce safe standing but need to get block 1 slightly reconfigured and fans back into this area first before they can ask for permission for safe standing. Hopefully this will happen in due course and before the end the end of the season. 

Also considering some kind of flexible barrier ie vertical hanging netting etc stop objects / missiles being thrown.  

Club agreed that they need to do better with the comms / media streams etc. a lot of fans in the Itchen N, including myself, were very unhappy at the email received at the start of the season regarding Block 1/2, moving fans around without consultation etc. 

They also agreed that some of the more Junior / casual stewards could do better and they were looking to give more training etc. 

That’s about it all I remember to be honest apart from I did say there was a perception from us Saints fans that we were being persecuted but the away fans get away with murder.  I said they need to inform us regarding any action taken against away fans so we are aware that their bad / poor behaviour is being monitored and consequential action is being taken even if we can’t see it at the time / during the game. 

Also sorry 1 final thing was away fans in home areas.  Club know there are problems but sometimes some of these plastic fans from thr so called big 6, live locally and have Saints membership so that they can apply for tickets etc.  

Thanks Billy. Interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BILLY said:

Atvleast the club admit now that our fans arnt the worst behaved .

Up until now they’ve made it clear or wanted it to look like our fans were one of the worst . 

As for away fans in home areas do they not take their names and tickets / seat numbers when they Chuck them out ? Thus ban them from any future matches ? 

Edited by IFHP

3 hours ago, BILLY said:

I think everyone knows how away fans can buy tickets, that’s not the problem. The problem is away fans turning up in away kit and being shown to their seat in the home end, or just being allowed to wander through. It’s away fans cheering in the home end and stewards doing absolutely nothing about it. And as said above, these people should be thrown out and their ticket taken so they get barred from the database, all very simple things that are simply following the clubs own documented rules.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Kraken said:

these people should be thrown out and their ticket taken so they get barred from the database

As you say, simple to do, and would at least hamper their chances of buying again that way.

The DE also reporting that the club are looking to introduce safe standing during the summer for next season and looking at the entire Northam end. That's great, especially if they're looking to give more of the Northam to home fans but there's still the prospect of most if not all going to away fans if they take a full FA Cup allocation.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23211571.southampton-fc-hoping-implement-safe-standing-upcoming-summer/

15 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I think everyone knows how away fans can buy tickets, that’s not the problem. The problem is away fans turning up in away kit and being shown to their seat in the home end, or just being allowed to wander through. It’s away fans cheering in the home end and stewards doing absolutely nothing about it. And as said above, these people should be thrown out and their ticket taken so they get barred from the database, all very simple things that are simply following the clubs own documented rules.

I don’t think I have ever seen this in St Mary’s and pretty much done every home game for years. Obviously can see those that are there for the team playing Saints but never seen them openly in colours

Edited by whelk

On 17/12/2022 at 10:48, 64saint said:

And I think there's a few even older in Block one who were originally from the Milton end (before it was the family center,) under the Toomers chocolate boxes when it was the  place to be seen if you were 'ard'. Wonder what sort of meeting Toby and his security guy would have had if he'd been around in the 60s and 70s, they would have probably closed the Dell !!!!  

Likely chinned by someone in a donkey jacket. Happy days. 

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

One for us oldies....."memories..."

spacer.png

Ah great memories. The away fans would sometimes try and take that section and  remember the guy with his crash helmet always turned up 15 minutes before kick off, Dougall I think his name was and with a few of his mates, any away fans under the Toomers box were in big trouble.   Segregation !!  What's was that.  The Northam yoof of today are mere amateurs !!!!! 

On a serious note though, speaking now as an OAP, thank goodness stadiums are a much safer place to visit now than in the old days.  I shudder now when thinking of the old terraces and human waves that carried us down flights of steps without our feet touching.  That's why to some of us oldies the safety officer getting his knickers in a twist over a bit of banter from block one when the away fans are separated anyhow does seem.a bit excessive.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, whelk said:

I don’t think I have ever seen this in St Mary’s and pretty much done every home game for years. Obviously can see those that are there for the team playing Saints but never seen them openly in colours

You’ve never seen away fans cheering in the home sections? I simply don’t believe that, I’ve seen it loads down the years. I’ve seen it on TV when I’ve not been at the game. And it’s been commented about on here.

Away fans wearing kit in the home end, much less common. But….There was even a picture put up on this site earlier this very season of a man United fan in his shirt in the itchen I believe (who, apparently watched the first half then maybe got hooked after that). So it clearly does happen.

If their biggest concern is, as they said, fans surging towards the away end after goals are scored then a wall between block 1 and block 48 high enough to block the view across is the obvious and simplest option. It is rather annoying that their immediate reaction was to close block 1 rather than block 48 though.

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If their biggest concern is, as they said, fans surging towards the away end after goals are scored then a wall between block 1 and block 48 high enough to block the view across is the obvious and simplest option. It is rather annoying that their immediate reaction was to close block 1 rather than block 48 though.

All they care about is revenues not their actual home fans. As for surging in general i’ve been to many clubs and it happens everywhere, even happens at Eastleigh ffs! We seem to have the only stewarding that is against home fans in the country, go to Man United and they barely have stewards on their side of the segregation allowing them to take beer up to the stand without as much as our enforcement who went round the stand at the other days game searching “who’s the one vaping”. We’re victimised and it’s stupid.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Kraken said:

You’ve never seen away fans cheering in the home sections? I simply don’t believe that, I’ve seen it loads down the years. I’ve seen it on TV when I’ve not been at the game. And it’s been commented about on here.

Away fans wearing kit in the home end, much less common. But….There was even a picture put up on this site earlier this very season of a man United fan in his shirt in the itchen I believe (who, apparently watched the first half then maybe got hooked after that). So it clearly does happen.

I didn’t say cheering I said wearing colours. Although cheering isn’t that common either from my experience. 

13 hours ago, The Kraken said:

A chelsea fan lead “Zigger Zagger” with the away fans from the hospitality boxes last season. 

On 23/12/2022 at 22:29, The Kraken said:

Absolutely this. Something needs to be done to stop this from happening.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 64saint said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23237149.ex-southampton-fc-steward-gives-view-st-marys-atmosphere/

Good letter in the Echo from a steward about how Block 1 should be given to away fans and the entire Northam end for home fans.

Moving them to the Kingsland North would make more sense due the boxes in the Itchen North but the Police will never allow it. 

1 hour ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Moving them to the Kingsland North would make more sense due the boxes in the Itchen North but the Police will never allow it. 

Yes, the police have objected previously to any plans that would involve away supporters having to cross the car parks to reach their coaches parked in Britannia Road.  Logistically to reach their coaches the Itchen North corner would be acceptable to the police but i guess the corporate boxes below might be a problem.  

Edited by 64saint

whilst it would be a good idea to have a full stand giving vocal support I don’t know how it would work. Kingland north is the best option to give up for away support despite the cons mentioned. the itchen and northam have different “cultures” let’s say and I don’t think people in the IN want to move there and be associated with some of the embarrassing northam kids. also the louder saints fans would simply move over to each side of the away fans making the idea fairly meaningless. we already have a full stand in the chapel and that dosent add anything. 

35 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wondered how they do things at Leicester, both grounds are very similar, they don't seem to have issues with away fans.

Away fans at the King Power are in what would be the Chapel/Kingsland corner.

Interesting that their family stand is next to the away fans, and their Northam is referred to as a Kop...spacer.png

13 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

whilst it would be a good idea to have a full stand giving vocal support I don’t know how it would work. Kingland north is the best option to give up for away support despite the cons mentioned. the itchen and northam have different “cultures” let’s say and I don’t think people in the IN want to move there and be associated with some of the embarrassing northam kids. also the louder saints fans would simply move over to each side of the away fans making the idea fairly meaningless. we already have a full stand in the chapel and that dosent add anything. 

I understand The Chapel was originally our designated singing area but I think it suffers from also being our family stand. I don't know if that happened later but I don't see how anyone could expect it to achieve both.

1 minute ago, samcrocker said:

Away fans at the King Power are in what would be the Chapel/Kingsland corner.

Interesting that their family stand is next to the away fans, and their Northam is referred to as a Kop...

Pretty sure Palace do the same thing as I believe the Sainsburys end is their family stand.

Looking at the Leicester layout shows shows how crazy it is that we give up so much behind the goal, I can't believe how generous we are to away fans, second only to Fulham when they used to have their 'neutral' end (i.e. away support overflow).

2 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Moving them to the Kingsland North would make more sense due the boxes in the Itchen North but the Police will never allow it

The club always trot that one out when this issue is raised, if that’s the case then why don’t the same Hants Constabulary dictate to the skates that away fans there should be put in the fratton end? That stand has easier and safer access and the train station is that end of their ground.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 64saint said:

Yes, the police have objected previously to any plans that would involve away supporters having to cross the car parks to reach their coaches parked in Britannia Road.  Logistically to reach their coaches the Itchen North corner would be acceptable to the police but i guess the corporate boxes below might be a problem.  

There's no reason the coaches couldn't park up in Melbourne Street, the mini industrial estate at the Chapel end. Then fencing could be put up to funnel them past the chapel to the Itchen if required. It's doable with a little bit of organisation and effort, but we aren't a fanbase worth doing it for as we don't create enough of an atmosphere. 

• Like 2

At Fulham we were parked 2 streets away , we even shared the concourse and bars with what was the old neutral stand.

I don’t get this coach bullshit what about all those that come by train and go right past the bridge directed by 2 stewards to carry on past it and not funnel down through 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 3