Should we recall Nathan Tella?

Fraser Spinney

5 minutes ago, derry said:

Having a decent game. Covering his full back well, pulled down on the edge of the penalty area on the break, Maatsen first goal from the free kick. Then played in Maatsen for the second. He is better than anyone we've got up front.

Based on his performance in The Championship? I don't get it. Armstrong and Adams both have better records than him in that league.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Based on his performance in The Championship? I don't get it. Armstrong and Adams both have better records than him in that league.

That was years ago. Armstrong is hiding and like a rabbit in the headlights and apart from being strong and a bustler Adams is no finisher and he never was clinical. Now allegedly we're looking at Moffi in a mediocre team amidst a load of mediocre teams. Monpellier and Anger were poor whilst Moffi was anonymous. 

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Are they playing in the same positions? Adams and Armstrong both strikers for Brum and Blackburn, while Tella seems to be playing on the wing? Also Adams and Armstrong both the main men in mediocre sides, while Tella is contributing in a team with several high performers.

To be clear, I've not seen a minute of Burnley's games this season, but with the above in mind, comparing his numbers to those of Adams and Armstrong seems pretty pointless.

22 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Are they playing in the same positions? Adams and Armstrong both strikers for Brum and Blackburn, while Tella seems to be playing on the wing? Also Adams and Armstrong both the main men in mediocre sides, while Tella is contributing in a team with several high performers.

To be clear, I've not seen a minute of Burnley's games this season, but with the above in mind, comparing his numbers to those of Adams and Armstrong seems pretty pointless.

I've watched quite a few because I wanted to see if he was improving. I've watched every minute of his last three games and he has improved, especially his awareness and positional play, both seeking space up front and closing down. He is a much more disciplined player now and has outstanding pace, his ball control has improved. He was battered by Swansea today but still caused the free kick for the first goal and set up the second. If he did nothing else he would give us a good option on either side. He also drifts into space on the blind side and middle and Burnley leave him up to exploit his pace. When defending he split the Swansea defence with a glorious through ball that wasn't exploited. Burnley give him the freedom to play as he sees it.

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, derry said:

I've watched quite a few because I wanted to see if he was improving. I've watched every minute of his last three games and he has improved, especially his awareness and positional play, both seeking space up front and closing down. He is a much more disciplined player now and has outstanding pace, his ball control has improved. He was battered by Swansea today but still caused the free kick for the first goal and set up the second. If he did nothing else he would give us a good option on either side. He also drifts into space on the blind side and middle and Burnley leave him up to exploit his pace. When defending he split the Swansea defence with a glorious through ball that wasn't exploited. Burnley give him the freedom to play as he sees it.

Let him carry on learning under Kompany and then bring him back for the Championship where he will be a match winner

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Let him carry on learning under Kompany and then bring him back for the Championship where he will be a match winner

Bring him back now and he may with a new striker give us the cutting edge to prevent that with 21 matches left.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, derry said:

Bring him back now and he may with a new striker give us the cutting edge to prevent that with 21 matches left.

If we do want him back what are we waiting for and why did we allow him to play today and risk injury? For that reason I can't see us recalling him.

No - He was very average in a better performing team than this one.

Now the team is in a funk he wouldn't add anything as we need a goal scorer, not another winger/forward type. Also a bit different playing in a team sitting pretty at the top of an easier league than trying to make things happen in a team stuck at the bottom of a harder league.

6 hours ago, derry said:

Tella may have improved; what is he now....23?    I think we saw enough of him under Ralph to see that he fell short against good Prem defences.  He showed the speed and run, but his control, passing and striking was consistently below par.   He would be an ideal player for us in the Championship, but no doubt Burnley will be keen to keep him if they swap Leagues with us come season's end.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

No - He was very average in a better performing team than this one.

Now the team is in a funk he wouldn't add anything as we need a goal scorer, not another winger/forward type. Also a bit different playing in a team sitting pretty at the top of an easier league than trying to make things happen in a team stuck at the bottom of a harder league.

We have no one up front with his pace running in behind. For that reason we should recall.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, austsaint said:

Tella may have improved; what is he now....23?    I think we saw enough of him under Ralph to see that he fell short against good Prem defences.  He showed the speed and run, but his control, passing and striking was consistently below par.   He would be an ideal player for us in the Championship, but no doubt Burnley will be keen to keep him if they swap Leagues with us come season's end.

Firstly, Are you currently watching him? I don't get your comment as you don't think he is good enough for the Premier why do you then think that Burnley would be keen to keep him if they swap leagues with us at the end of the season?  He is playing the best I've ever seen him play and he's better than anybody we've got in the wide positions and certainly quicker than anyone. Aribo, Elyonoussie, A Armstrong aren't in the same class. Besides he isn't going to cost us anything. Maybe Burnley want to keep him and we're going to sell him on the cheap to raise a little bit of money to buy more slow lightweight crap.

12 minutes ago, derry said:

Firstly, Are you currently watching him? I don't get your comment as you don't think he is good enough for the Premier why do you then think that Burnley would be keen to keep him if they swap leagues with us at the end of the season?  He is playing the best I've ever seen him play and he's better than anybody we've got in the wide positions and certainly quicker than anyone. Aribo, Elyonoussie, A Armstrong aren't in the same class. Besides he isn't going to cost us anything. Maybe Burnley want to keep him and we're going to sell him on the cheap to raise a little bit of money to buy more slow lightweight crap.

No, I haven't seen him play since he went to Burnley, and I draw encouragement from your assessment of his improvement having watched him since linking up with Burnley....I agree with a lot of your comments about our players over the years; none more than your forthright comments about JWP.

Just the same, I still doubt Tella is the answer to our immediate crisis, which is trying to stay in the Prem.    I've never doubted his pace and run, but I find it hard to believe that his overall game has improved to the level required.     My comment about Burnley being keen to keep him is simply an assumption given he's done well for them in the Championship.   Don't forget players like Adam Armstrong racked up 30 goals in a Championship season - there is definitely a gulf between Prem and Championship Leagues.  Toney has brought good Championship form to the Prem.    Mitrovic has played well in both Leagues, yet most find the step up too difficult.   Sir Ricky Lambert did ok too I suppose!

• Like 2

I was at the Swansea Burnley game yesterday and thought he started very brightly definitely looked better than when he was last with us. However I also felt he faded significantly after a few robust challenges and spent too much time whinging to the ref. He’s certainly improved but I think he still seems raw. I don’t think he can be a major element in keeping us up and will probably benefit (at least personally) from staying at Burnley for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Micky said:

Nathan Tela, the man to save us from relegation. I think not. 

Don’t be such a plank. Nobody is saying he’ll “save us from relegation “.

The question is, will he produce more than one of Djennpo, Walcott, or Adam Armstrong. Personally, I’d say he probably would. Therefore he’ll strengthen the squad a little bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New Forest Pony said:

I was at the Swansea Burnley game yesterday and thought he started very brightly definitely looked better than when he was last with us. However I also felt he faded significantly..

I was thinking that his pace might be useful as a sub when Edozie is tiring towards the end of the game. I tend to agree with L.D.'s reasoning, which is a rare event! 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don’t be such a plank. Nobody is saying he’ll “save us from relegation “.

The question is, will he produce more than one of Djennpo, Walcott, or Adam Armstrong. Personally, I’d say he probably would. Therefore he’ll strengthen the squad a little bit. 

Don't be such a plank, we need somebody who is going to score goals for fun in the Premiere League, not Nathan Tela.

My thinking is he's a much improved player. He was involved in both Burnley goals on Saturday. He would give us options we don't have. Imagine signing a goalscoring winger who at the end of January gets injured for six weeks, Elyonoussie, Aribo, Walcott (if fit), Djenepo, A Armstrong. So much for cover. That in itself could relegate us.I'm wondering how many people are passing expert opinions without watching him play. Too many by the look of it.

It is attractive to leave him at Burnley and see him rack up twenty goals-ish but not if we need him here.

I see two lifts - both serve the same purpose, but one is going down and the other is going up. Stuart Armstrong is in one of them, and Nathan Tella is in the other. I was sorry when Tella was loaned out because there’s a player in there, and I thought he’d benefit from watching SA close-up, every day. I’d certainly bring him back because SA is just not an impact player any more - but only if we don’t sign someone who would just keep Tella on the bench. In that case we’d be better letting him develop some more at Burnley.

11 hours ago, Micky said:

Don't be such a plank, we need somebody who is going to score goals for fun in the Premiere League, not Nathan Tela.

So if a fantastic goalkeeper or centre half was available, you’d say no because “we need someone to score goals for fun in the Premiere (sic) league”.Here’s an idea, let’s sign a goal scorer and a couple of other players that will improve our side/squad. Tella will offer more than Theo Walcott imo, therefore he’ll improve the squad for fuck all money. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

14 hours ago, derry said:

My thinking is he's a much improved player. He was involved in both Burnley goals on Saturday. He would give us options we don't have. Imagine signing a goalscoring winger who at the end of January gets injured for six weeks, Elyonoussie, Aribo, Walcott (if fit), Djenepo, A Armstrong. So much for cover. That in itself could relegate us.I'm wondering how many people are passing expert opinions without watching him play. Too many by the look of it.

It is attractive to leave him at Burnley and see him rack up twenty goals-ish but not if we need him here.

I don't see the attraction for the club to leave him at Burnley unless we've already agreed a deal to sell him there.

On 02/01/2023 at 16:00, derry said:

Having a decent game. Covering his full back well, pulled down on the edge of the penalty area on the break, Maatsen first goal from the free kick. Then played in Maatsen for the second. He is better than anyone we've got up front.

no chance Tella is better than Che Adams 😂

5 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

no chance Tella is better than Che Adams 😂

Adams is a poor finisher. Hard worker but a poor finisher. Tella has been really composed with his finishing plus he is much quicker than Adams who is not much better than the day he arrived. I'm not saying Tella is the answer to our problems but he would give us an extra edge when needed. He also plays from either flank and roams into the middle. He is obviously listening to what Kompany is telling him and consequently a much better player.