Total Saints Podcast

OldNick

I really enjoy this pod, and was so looking forward to the latest edition. I had felt uplifted with a win and felt there would be some positivity.

From the first minute there was a tirade of acerbic opinion, and brought my elation of a win straight to the floor.

I know it is all about opinions, but guys give us a bit of respite and a bit of hope!! The fanbase needs some positivity and we did win. Ok everybody says it was due to bad defending, but we WON and apparently didnt play that badly.

Anyway I still love the pod but try not to depress me on a Monday morning lol especially after a victory

• Like 6

9 hours ago, OldNick said:

I really enjoy this pod, and was so looking forward to the latest edition. I had felt uplifted with a win and felt there would be some positivity.

From the first minute there was a tirade of acerbic opinion, and brought my elation of a win straight to the floor.

I know it is all about opinions, but guys give us a bit of respite and a bit of hope!! The fanbase needs some positivity and we did win. Ok everybody says it was due to bad defending, but we WON and apparently didnt play that badly.

Anyway I still love the pod but try not to depress me on a Monday morning lol especially after a victory

Personally I thought it was the best episode in ages and they nailed every topic they talked about.

• Like 3

I find the panel are generally glass half full and see the positives where they can, particularly Mr Grant!

But (rightly so in my opinion), this week was some harsh truths and I felt they nailed it tbh. Yes we won, but there is still no semblance of a plan/structure/identity in how we’re playing.

Also thought the summary of SR’s tenure so far, along with the perceived arrogance of Ankersen to also be very good.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Tbf it was covering the last 2 games - the first of which was possibly the worst performance since the Branfoot days.

I thought the tone was about right. 

We won ffs, we came from a goal down and that adversity usually is too much for us. The players dug in and got a result. A bit of praise may have been in order, although some criticism may well be just.

The constant attacking of the team I felt could have been toned down a bit, but Glenn especially doesn't hold back. Amusing at times and writes some great blogs but I thought it was a bit over the top.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, OldNick said:

We won ffs, we came from a goal down and that adversity usually is too much for us. The players dug in and got a result. A bit of praise may have been in order, although some criticism may well be just.

The constant attacking of the team I felt could have been toned down a bit, but Glenn especially doesn't hold back. Amusing at times and writes some great blogs but I thought it was a bit over the top.  

Respectfully disagree. The two goals gifted by the Palace keeper barely papered over the cracks of a truly diabolical performance against Forest, with a manager who is out of his depth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Respectfully disagree. The two goals gifted by the Palace keeper barely papered over the cracks of a truly diabolical performance against Forest, with a manager who is out of his depth.

There is no arguement about the Forest performance, but this is the squad who gave us the inept and useless displays at Villa and Wolves.

• Like 2

That Glenn fella still on it then? Baffling that he self admits he doesn’t know rules and/or certain things going on but will regularly rant on like his opinion is right and be hailed as some sort of truth speaker 😂

Bizarre pod with a lack of diverse views. Much better Saints ones about but sadly not as regular. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

That Glenn fella still on it then? Baffling that he self admits he doesn’t know rules and/or certain things going on but will regularly rant on like his opinion is right and be hailed as some sort of truth speaker 😂

Bizarre pod with a lack of diverse views. Much better Saints ones about but sadly not as regular. 

alanis morrisette GIF

• Haha 2

Thought I’d check in on Glen tonight to see him eat his words a little and instead he seems to be peddling the theory that someone is making Jones play different tactics. He’s about 3 wrong steps away from going full MLT and Rickie Lambert. 

But you all continue with your confused emoji reactions. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Thought I’d check in on Glen tonight to see him eat his words a little and instead he seems to be peddling the theory that someone is making Jones play different tactics. He’s about 3 wrong steps away from going full MLT and Rickie Lambert. 

But you all continue with your confused emoji reactions. 

Glenn is as passionate as us all and just says it how he see's it, that's why his blog has gone so strong for over 10 years.

I think people have been right to call out Jones somewhat, maybe not to the levels that have been on social media (the personal abuse sent his way), but he hasn't been perfect. There is no getting away from the fact that the Forest home game was truly inept, no football was played - alarm bells were ringing loud and clear a week ago.

Tonight is a step for sure, but we have a long way to go before anyone should be asking people to eat their words imo. (on both sides of the fence)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’re very welcome to come on the Pod this weekend and provide a ‘diverse view’. We’d love to have you.

Get in touch via totalsaintspodcast@yahoo.com 

Look forward to hearing 👍🏻

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

You’re very welcome to come on the Pod this weekend and provide a ‘diverse view’. We’d love to have you.

Get in touch via totalsaintspodcast@yahoo.com 

Look forward to hearing 👍🏻

No, thank you. It's not a podcast I enjoy listening to, let alone being on it. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I suppose it takes all kinds and we all look at things differently. I really enjoy it, and find it good to listen to as there is plenty of good insight.

This particular episode I felt a bit disappointed with as I had a bit of an uplift after a win. Just felt the total dismantling of the manager, club and team a bit unwarranted. If you read Glenns blogs, he is never short of a cutting comment but they are entertaining and he is doing it from the heart. Im sure he could start an argument in a phone box but his heart is all Saints.

Anyway, I am a big supporter of this podcast. Looking forward to the next episode to see if there is a softening of the stance.....I wouldn't hold my breath though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I suppose it takes all kinds and we all look at things differently. I really enjoy it, and find it good to listen to as there is plenty of good insight.

This particular episode I felt a bit disappointed with as I had a bit of an uplift after a win. Just felt the total dismantling of the manager, club and team a bit unwarranted. If you read Glenns blogs, he is never short of a cutting comment but they are entertaining and he is doing it from the heart. Im sure he could start an argument in a phone box but his heart is all Saints.

Anyway, I am a big supporter of this podcast. Looking forward to the next episode to see if there is a softening of the stance.....I wouldn't hold my breath though

Thanks Nick. Appreciate the thoughts/feedback.

We’ve always focussed on finding the balance between ‘positive’ and ‘constructive’ and remain confident (based on those that actually listen to us regularly) that the views shared by the panel/audience are indeed diverse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I think the problem in this instance is that the Nottingham Forest defeat was so bad that they felt it only right to lay into them regardless of the following Palace result.  I guess it might have been better (if possible) to have had one of their unscheduled special episodes immediately afterwards like they did after the 9-0 defeats (I think that was the case) as it was a result of such magnitude.  That may not have been possible though and I'm glad they didn't hold back.    

I personally love the podcast and, you never know, maybe people at the club heard it and reacted accordingly!

• Like 3

I have only been listening to this podcast for a little while . Because of my advancing years I didn't really know what a podcast was .Thank you grand children. But I have enjoyed what I have heard and to be honest I had very similar views to Glenn, so much so that I didn't go to the game last night . Now I feel like a total k**b and I think there is something to build on for the future . Saturday is crucial . We need to win but if the performance is there and a win is not forthcoming through bad luck or a poor decision I will not be so hasty to critisise.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TotalSaintsPod said:

Thanks Nick. Appreciate the thoughts/feedback.

We’ve always focussed on finding the balance between ‘positive’ and ‘constructive’ and remain confident (based on those that actually listen to us regularly) that the views shared by the panel/audience are indeed diverse.

😂 Might actually tune in this week to see your section on Jones and his handling of criticism. Snappy! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

is the pod actually being streamed live? Can i get that from my patreon account?

As a patreon i've tended to just pick up a couple of days later but after disagreeing with the tone of last week's i'm curious to see the panel's response

It’s live-streamed on YouTube on Sunday evenings.

Good new episode, less 'captivating' lets say then the last one, but to be expected as we have actually won a football game or two (three). Also gave me my daily dose of danny ings still posible medicine so thanks for that bit of optimistic delusion it's given me on an otherwise dull monday morning.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 16:28, Fabrice29 said:

Ahh but you’re more than happy to pass comment ?

I think the views are diverse enough, Steve and Glenn provide a consistent and generally spot on insight around the club and they have usually someone with good journalistic insight, I don’t see any need to change that… perhaps they could have a guest speaker but as someone that has done podcasts in the past that isn’t always a good addition and tends to cause editing issues if the guest isn’t au fait with audio recording etc

As for the OPs post, I commented online that it was one of my favourite episodes.. you have to remember that it is a snapshot in time of the general feeling around the club.. an FA cup win, that in essence was scrappy and somewhat gifted did little to bouy my enthusiasm for our primary concern… relegation

The panel were right to question the performances and NJs ability and Tanswell/Sheldons piece on SR and the changes was very interesting and welcomed

Come the end of the season I expect all of us would welcome humble pie in tge form of an all beating NJ masterclass but again the podcast is to bring the panels opinions to bare, not to bring fake optimism… Im sure there’s plenty of happy clappy stuff you can listen to instead

• Like 2

I think the latest episode was perfect. Glenn especially, owned up to perhaps being too quick to condemn NJ, but at the same time left the door open for future criticism. All fair IMO.

Nobody at present can be sure if NJ is the messiah or not lol

• Like 2

I'm a regular listener and enjoy the podcast - quite far away in vancouver and it brings it closer...talks of Hampshire cricket, son's football team, dull weekends. It's a refreshing touch of reality and I find it often reflects my read of things - not always. It's a refreshing contrast to the 'positive spin only' sponsored crap we get from the Whitecaps media...who I swear could talk-up even the Forest game! 

I like the fact they have an opinion and aren't afraid to say it...or admit if they were wrong.

I was underwhelmed by Jone's appointment...then read a bit and listened to him (especially the bit about Saints fans in the family...thinking they'll tell him what's what)...was definitely prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance...saw the first four games...OMG Lincoln and Forest have to be the worst games ever....seriously thought he was clueless and had gone backwards at a rate of knots after 6 weeks to get his thoughts across...NOW, am delighted to be offered the chance to eat humble pie every week if we keep winning. Palace we were a bit lucky but showed some grit, Man City was unbelievable, not just the result but the manner of the win - couldn't believe what I was watching...Everton, we had a bit of luck for once and two bits of class and some determination and decent defending for once got us the win. So now, I am hoping like the rest of us that we beat Villa and keep the momentum going.

And I'm in the...okay NJ, you've got my attention and I'm ready to admit I was premature in judging you...if the results and performances keep coming.

I'm rooting for him!

Thanks for the podcast and keep up the good work.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 6

Thought I’d give this another go this morning and I’m 8 minutes in and Glen is telling everyone we became more passive after the changes despite this being simply not true and Steve is suggesting that we shouldn’t be playing JWP as a no 10 because that’s exactly what Villa would have planned for because of its recent success. Good stuff. 

59 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Thought I’d give this another go this morning and I’m 8 minutes in and Glen is telling everyone we became more passive after the changes despite this being simply not true and Steve is suggesting that we shouldn’t be playing JWP as a no 10 because that’s exactly what Villa would have planned for because of its recent success. Good stuff. 

For a podcast you don’t enjoy listening to, you seem to listen to it quite a lot.

• Haha 3

There is not a person who doesn't at times have a different opinion to mine, they are wrong of course, but you accept it and counter.

I do wonder if the mix of competitors is pretty negative on there, but perhaps thats where we are.

I was called contrary by a Saints fan when I voiced my opinion the other day and perhaps he was correct but I do feel it would do us all a favour to have a bit more postive views.

There again Id hate a happy clapper!!

My record of wanting to keep Puel and to give him a chance, admire Nathan Redmond, seeing a positive in some of the things Rupert did, does put me in a certain bracket lol

Great pod anyway

4 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I mean, that's a pretty conclusive post to show you didn't actually listen properly. I said that Villa had prepared for the game having watched our recent games, realised that JWP is now playing further forward, and put a system in place to counter it. That's just a fact, it's what they did, it's why he hardly saw any of the ball for most of the game. I didn't say "we shouldn't play him there" at any stage :|

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stevegrant said:

I mean, that's a pretty conclusive post to show you didn't actually listen properly. I said that Villa had prepared for the game having watched our recent games, realised that JWP is now playing further forward, and put a system in place to counter it. That's just a fact, it's what they did, it's why he hardly saw any of the ball for most of the game. I didn't say "we shouldn't play him there" at any stage :|

You were literally saying the new players should have played to give us a surprise factor and used JWP as no 10 as an example for what didn't surprise Villa. 

13 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

You were literally saying the new players should have played to give us a surprise factor and used JWP as no 10 as an example for what didn't surprise Villa. 

Neither Alcaraz or Orsic play as a number 10. Again, you've heard words, jumbled them up and come to a weird conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Neither Alcaraz or Orsic play as a number 10. Again, you've heard words, jumbled them up and come to a weird conclusion.

I’m sorry I heard the words you said in the order your podcast editor put them out for download. You start by talking about the new signings and how they should be playing then say ‘especially in a game against an opposition for who are there for the taking. If Villa are coming up against players that they don’t know a lot about all of a sudden we can spring a surprise WHEREAS because they know Ward-Prowse has been playing a no10 role and it’s worked well, Emery is no mug and was able to set up a system that negated it so we lost the surprise factor. ‘