Stoke Fan in peace here. Plus an apology.

Joebananas

Hello Saints.

Firstly let me apologise sincerely for you having to endure the 'Mad One' for what was thankfully only a few weeks wasn't it? What were your board thinking? Good to see a few results coming your way since then at least. Sorry also for Mark Hughes before! We have not done you many favours have we of late?

Anyway I am massively hoping you get yourself out of the mire this season. It is tight down there and a few good results on the bounce will easily elevate you out of trouble. However I do have a bit of a selfish hidden agenda on the back of this goodwill message. I have absolutely no issues with Southampton Football club whatsoever please be aware, why would I have, but if you get relegated then I am sure you will be wanting to have Mr Smallboner ( immature I know but it has to be done! ) back from us and to be honest he is really running the show at Stoke currently. A shakey start for us but the quality is really showing through now and I would love us to sign him if we can. I don't know if he is good enough for the Prem but he is certainly a top Championship player so if you do come down then, well I would have you as favourites to go back up again with players like that in your team. He is probably going to get Player of the Season here.

So sincerely sorry for the two duff managers who ended up at yours, via ours, but please do stay up!!

Randomly and for no apparent reason I looked up Laurie McMenemy yesterday. Good to see he is still around at 86 years of age. Is he still loved down your way?

All the best

• Like 26

Have had some great times attending Stoke games, and, even though we didn't win it, the 3-3 in Christmas 2012 was an absolute classic. Dissapointed though I was not to win, it was one of the best spectacles i've attended.

Great to hear how Smallboner is getting on. (We use the same name in the Saints whatsapp I have with my friends..... Maturity is over-rated anyhow.....)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Laurie McMenemy will always be revered for his work with the club and in particular winning us the Cup in ‘76. I know from first hand experience that he’s a great guy to spend time with and has some wonderful stories to tell.

Lawrie knew my late Dad (I think he arranged insurance for some of the players) around forty years ago and every time I've spoken to him since he remembered him. He invited me over for Sunday lunch when I bumped into him again at SoccerEx in Manchester a number of years ago, wished I'd taken up the offer. Will always be a hero to me...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Have had some great times attending Stoke games, and, even though we didn't win it, the 3-3 in Christmas 2012 was an absolute classic. Dissapointed though I was not to win, it was one of the best spectacles i've attended.

Great to hear how Smallboner is getting on. (We use the same name in the Saints whatsapp I have with my friends..... Maturity is over-rated anyhow.....)

That was indeed a classic. We were down to 10 men but just wouldn't give up and snatched a draw very late on. Love him or loath him but Tony Pulis build his sides on a never say die attitude and this helped us to survive for a good few years against the odds. I think Lambert was on fire that day for you and on the balance of play the points should have been yours. Sometimes a draw feels like a loss and that must have been your feelings on the day. Good memories though and it is for games like that, that we keep on going week after week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joebananas said:

Hello Saints.

Firstly let me apologise sincerely for you having to endure the 'Mad One' for what was thankfully only a few weeks wasn't it? What were your board thinking? Good to see a few results coming your way since then at least. Sorry also for Mark Hughes before! We have not done you many favours have we of late?

Anyway I am massively hoping you get yourself out of the mire this season. It is tight down there and a few good results on the bounce will easily elevate you out of trouble. However I do have a bit of a selfish hidden agenda on the back of this goodwill message. I have absolutely no issues with Southampton Football club whatsoever please be aware, why would I have, but if you get relegated then I am sure you will be wanting to have Mr Smallboner ( immature I know but it has to be done! ) back from us and to be honest he is really running the show at Stoke currently. A shakey start for us but the quality is really showing through now and I would love us to sign him if we can. I don't know if he is good enough for the Prem but he is certainly a top Championship player so if you do come down then, well I would have you as favourites to go back up again with players like that in your team. He is probably going to get Player of the Season here.

So sincerely sorry for the two duff managers who ended up at yours, via ours, but please do stay up!!

Randomly and for no apparent reason I looked up Laurie McMenemy yesterday. Good to see he is still around at 86 years of age. Is he still loved down your way?

All the best

Glad to see he is doing well. Showed some promise with us but was in and out the squad a lot due to injury and a few below par performances.

I remember when he first joined you a lot of Stoke fans thought he was shit, but it seems he's grown into his role and is now showing what he can do.

Seems like a really level headed bloke, hope he carries on his good form. Will be interesting to see what we decide to do with him. If we somehow stay up then do we give him a chance off the back of his good form, although he could end up being a bit part player which isn't so great for his career.

if we go down I'd imagine we'd have him back as he's proved he can do well in the Championship and most, if not all, of the rest of our midfield will be sold.

Been to Stoke a load of times. Normally stop off in Stone on the way up for a few beers. The 3-3 as mentioned already was a cracking game even though I felt sick when Jerome equalised. Was also there when Begovic scored which was weird and when Crouch bundled in a completely undeserved late winner.

I'm glad to see Will Smallbone doing well, I hate seeing these lads come through and then stagnate. So it's great that this opportunity has worked out well for him. I wouldn't want to sell him just yet.

Nothing against you Joenanna, but I don't like Stoke. It's a bit irrational because it's come from nowhere in the 1990's, I think its because there is space for one shitty red and white striped team in the prem and obviously I would prefer it to be us. I think I hate Stoke and Everton more than Pompey.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I'm glad to see Will Smallbone doing well, I hate seeing these lads come through and then stagnate. So it's great that this opportunity has worked out well for him. I wouldn't want to sell him just yet.

Nothing against you Joenanna, but I don't like Stoke. It's a bit irrational because it's come from nowhere in the 1990's, I think its because there is space for one shitty red and white striped team in the prem and obviously I would prefer it to be us. I think I hate Stoke and Everton more than Pompey.

Really??? I do understand Everton (84' highbury) although my sil is a Toffee and so have soothed a bit. Stoke I have no problem with, Gordon Banks et all. I fondly recall an own goal against him from a full back launching a back pass over his head.

I spoke to Lawrie McMenemy, if not last season, then the season before, at a game at St Mary's. We had the briefest of chats, but he did tell me that he now has to pay for his seat at St Mary's, which if true, (and I had no reason to doubt him) is absolutely disgraceful. The man will always be a Saints legend. Possibly even deserves a stand named after him. So - here's a question.....If we could name the four sides of St. Mary's, after Saints legends, which four names would you choose?

6 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I spoke to Lawrie McMenemy, if not last season, then the season before, at a game at St Mary's. We had the briefest of chats, but he did tell me that he now has to pay for his seat at St Mary's, which if true, (and I had no reason to doubt him) is absolutely disgraceful. The man will always be a Saints legend. Possibly even deserves a stand named after him. So - here's a question.....If we could name the four sides of St. Mary's, after Saints legends, which four names would you choose?

The Cortese Chapel Kop

The Les Reed East Stand

The Goa Kop

The Martin Semmens West Stand

• Haha 6

On 13/03/2023 at 16:00, Channons Windmill said:

Lawrie knew my late Dad (I think he arranged insurance for some of the players) around forty years ago and every time I've spoken to him since he remembered him. He invited me over for Sunday lunch when I bumped into him again at SoccerEx in Manchester a number of years ago, wished I'd taken up the offer. Will always be a hero to me...

Mr Saints 76

On 14/03/2023 at 15:17, Saint Keef said:

The McMenemy Stand

The Channon Stand

The Le Tissier Stand

The Marcus Leiber Stand

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Why name a stand after a right wing, Covid denying, Putin propagandist? 

Because he was possibly the best, most exciting player that I have seen in Saints colours in the 65 years that I have been watching the team? He also virtually saved us almost single-handedly from relegation on more than one occasion? I haven't really followed any of his conspiracy stuff (then again, I don't follow anyone's conspiracy stuff), so my abiding memories of the man are what he did for this Club whilst wearing a red and white shirt.

• Like 8

On 18/03/2023 at 14:25, Saint Fan CaM said:

The McMenemy Stand

The Channon Stand

The Le Tissier Stand

The Marcus Leiber Stand

The Paul Sturrock Stand - scruffy and in need of a lick of paint

The Nathan Jones Stand - better than any in the Champions league

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2023 at 16:10, spyinthesky said:

Wonder what the feedback is in Stoke about Liam Delap who, it is understood, we were willing to bid £20m for from Man City

I think you dodged a bullet there to be honest. However we were not playing well whilst he was here, although he did get a number of chances to score which he messed up.

Still a young prospect at 19 I guess. Can't say I can see him making the grade at Premiership level anytime soon. After his Dad Rory ( long throw guy ) was sacked here he was shipped off to Preston and I don't think he has scored there yet. Only on the bench last week.

£20M saved me thinks.

• Like 3