The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I read the nonsense about rainbow lanyards just after seeing a report about the problems with maternity care in this country and the trauma many women face because of the poor treatment they receive. Perhaps the Minister for Common Sense would like to consider whether the focus should be on improving maternity care before worrying about the colour of lanyards?

I think you've got your wires crossed. That's a decision for the Health Minister, not the common sense one - although if you had any yourself, you probably could have reached that conclusion alone.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think you've got your wires crossed. That's a decision for the Health Minister, not the common sense one - although if you had any yourself, you probably could have reached that conclusion alone.

As the Minister for Common Sense, my common sense tells me that her brief crosses all departments. You don’t think that they discuss these matters in Cabinet? Oh, that would require employing some common sense on your part wouldn’t it? You really aren't getting any better at this are you? 

I will spell it out for you. It probably doesn’t make any sense to kick off about lanyards when the health service and most public services have far greater things to worry about. Got it yet, or are you still channelling Esther?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

As the Minister for Common Sense, my common sense tells me that her brief crosses all departments. You don’t think that they discuss these matters in Cabinet? Oh, that would require employing some common sense on your part wouldn’t it? You really aren't getting any better at this are you? 

I will spell it out for you. It probably doesn’t make any sense to kick off about lanyards when the health service and most public services have far greater things to worry about. Got it yet, or are you still channelling Esther?

Given Grant Shapss' response you should be grateful that the Cabinet is publicly dividing itself over such a trivial matter at a critical stage in the build up to the GE.

If the Fail, etc, want to waste column inches trying to persuade people that this is an important policy matter then Labour have nothing to fear.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

It's not her job. Should the chancellor focus on the NHS, or the Foreign Minister or Home Secretary or, or, or, etc etc.

For the record, it should never make sense to kick off about lanyards, but stupid is as stupid does.

You live in a dream world where because you think someone should sort something out, it should happen.

The rest of us are happy to not live in your world.

37 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps Soggy should nominate somebody to sort out the Welsh NHS as Labour don’t seem capable.

The state of it should concern us all, as Starmer says the Welsh Government is a blueprint for The UK under Labour. 

Better start looking for a new bike lock then.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-one-worst-rates-bike-29169274.amp

8 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I think that Duckie wrote that for him. 😂😂

It did read like a sanitised version of Duck without the references to soft arsed pinkos. 

Farage in government I suspect would be similar to Boris in many ways - effective at campaigning, getting slogans across, but not the level of consistent attention to detail on a day to day basis for Whitehall.

Unlike Boris, I think Farage knows it too. He makes far more money now than he’d make as an MP/Minister and has a lot more freedom to do/say what he wants. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Jeremy Hunt warns that taxes will go up under Labour - bit rich from the Chancellor who's Government has them pegged at the highest level since 1948.

I guess what he's getting at is that the Tories have had to keep taxes higher than they would ideologically like to, whereas a more socialiast leaning government would have an idiological inclination towards maintaining a bigger state system...? Isn't that the fundamental difference between the underlying Conservative and Labour philosophies, the implementation of which is often hampered by circumstances?

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I guess what he's getting at is that the Tories have had to keep taxes higher than they would ideologically like to, whereas a more socialiast leaning government would have an idiological inclination towards maintaining a bigger state system...? Isn't that the fundamental difference between the underlying Conservative and Labour philosophies?

Which difference is common knowledge anyway. People vote for Labour understanding that their approach to the public purse varies from that of the Tories. After all, somebody has to pay to fix all the potholes.

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Which difference is common knowledge anyway. People vote for Labour understanding that their approach to the public purse varies from that of the Tories. After all, somebody has to pay to fix all the potholes.

I'll wager the potholes still don't get fixed.

16 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I guess we should all be praising the Tories for keeping taxes high, against their natural instincts, given high taxes are a good thing...? :)

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Jeremy Hunt warns that taxes will go up under Labour - bit rich from the Chancellor who's Government has them pegged at the highest level since 1948.

Do you think taxes are too high, too low, or about right? 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Do you think taxes are too high, too low, or about right? 

It all depends on what the justification for a change is. I personally think there is scope for revising the tax system to better balance how it is generated, and overall leaving the amount of revenue generated at about the same level, or possibly slightly higher. 

However, I would not have a problem if, for instance, income tax went up by a penny or two. It is the totally disingenuous, bordering on fraudulent, pronouncements from "the party of low taxation" trying to pull the wool over everybody's eyes and exercise their sleight of hand that I find objectionable.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I suppose the unasked question is "why are there so many potholes? " if taxes paid to the Government are so high. 

Local Government funding is broken.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

It all depends on what the justification for a change is. I personally think there is scope for revising the tax system to better balance how it is generated, and overall leaving the amount of revenue generated at about the same level, or possibly slightly higher. 

However, I would not have a problem if, for instance, income tax went up by a penny or two. It is the totally disingenuous, bordering on fraudulent, pronouncements from "the party of low taxation" trying to pull the wool over everybody's eyes and exercise their sleight of hand that I find objectionable.

Agreed.  We can't cut spending any more. We can't borrow any more. We can't stay as we are. Slight tax rises, and some more effective use of the money, feels like the only credible way forward. 

On 15/05/2024 at 19:04, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps Soggy should nominate somebody to sort out the Welsh NHS as Labour don’t seem capable.

The state of it should concern us all, as Starmer says the Welsh Government is a blueprint for The UK under Labour. 

A shambles?  No Majority?  Questions over corruption?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce5l86e0veeo

Plaid Cymru is ending its co-operation agreement with Labour in the Senedd with immediate effect, the party's leader has announced.

Mr Gething has come under scrutiny since his election as first minister following criticism of a £200,000 donation he received for his leadership campaign from a company owned by a man previously convicted of environmental offences.

On Thursday, he sacked his minister for social partnership, Hannah Blythyn, alleging that she leaked text messages to the media.

It followed a story, originally published by Nation.Cymru, which revealed Mr Gething told ministers he was deleting messages from a pandemic-era group chat.

On 17/05/2024 at 08:21, badgerx16 said:

Agreed. The only Tory I want to get pegged by is Priti Patel.

• Haha 2

Inevitable perhaps that it couldn’t drag on any longer

1 minute ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Someone blaring out ‘Things Can Only Get Better’ 😂 

Probably that mad Steve dude.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to The 2024 General Election - July 4th
8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Clearly labour will win by a landslide however The meltdown on here should the tories stay in power is going to be off the scale. Every cloud and all that. 

Fair play to anyone who admits they are voting Tory. Would be interested in their reasoning.

• Like 2

Has Sunak chosen the date on purpose?

Let's assume Labour win, then July 5th they form a new Government - which I guess is the date parliament usually fucks off on holiday for the summer?

Would look pretty bad if Labour get in power only for them to all sod off abroad for a month!

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Fair play to anyone who admits they are voting Tory. Would be interested in their reasoning.

It makes me feel dirty. I might wear my naughty nurse’s uniform when I do it.

24 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Has Sunak chosen the date on purpose?

Let's assume Labour win, then July 5th they form a new Government - which I guess is the date parliament usually fucks off on holiday for the summer?

Would look pretty bad if Labour get in power only for them to all sod off abroad for a month!

The provisional date for the end of the summer session in the HoC is 23rd July. The incoming Government will propose session dates for the new Parliament.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, whelk said:

They never admit it.  I've found an easy way to identify them though - they're the ones coming out with the "All politicians are the same" line.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

They never admit it.  I've found an easy way to identify them though - they're the ones coming out with the "All politicians are the same" line.

I freely admit to voting for them last time, and I’m glad I did. Not this time though.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I freely admit to voting for them last time, and I’m glad I did. Not this time though.

Same. Pretty depressing that labour are going to win because they are the least unpopular. It does feel like pir country is just on the path to managed decline. 

Edited by hypochondriac

‘On the path’ to managed decline 🤣

The country has been in managed declined since we were told around 15 years ago that, as a nation, we need to tighten our belt buckles and get ready for cuts to public services, in the name of austerity.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Same. Pretty depressing that labour are going to win because they are the least unpopular. It does feel like pir country is just on the path to managed decline. 

And there was you mugged off by Johnson’s charisma. That’s depressing. Unless it was least unpopular given Corbyn as an alternative?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, whelk said:

And there was you mugged off by Johnson’s charisma. That’s depressing. Unless it was least unpopular given Corbyn as an alternative?

I was never ever going to vote for Corbyn. Happy to give Boris a chance despite him being who he was given that he deserved to be given a chance to implement brexit. Yes he had covid to deal wirh but even with that allowance he was depressingly rubbish and the Tories did almost nothing with their majority. I'm not sure there's any party at the moment that really represents my views so it's going to be very difficult to know how to vote. 

It feels like politicians from all parties are deathly afraid of social media and so won't commit to doing anything that might be slightly unpopular so you just end up with a load of stodge where they all just shuffle deckchairs on the titanic and nothing of consequence ever gets done. At least if we had proportional representation it would allow smaller parties to bring some new ideas to the table and maybe give some of them the chance in government every so often. It seems like very few really want Starmer in charge, they would just prefer labour in compared to more of the Conservatives. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I was never ever going to vote for Corbyn. Happy to give Boris a chance despite him being who he was given that he deserved to be given a chance to implement brexit. Yes he had covid to deal wirh but even with that allowance he was depressingly rubbish and the Tories did almost nothing with their majority. I'm not sure there's any party at the moment that really represents my views so it's going to be very difficult to know how to vote. 

It feels like politicians from all parties are deathly afraid of social media and so won't commit to doing anything that might be slightly unpopular so you just end up with a load of stodge where they all just shuffle deckchairs on the titanic and nothing of consequence ever gets done. At least if we had proportional representation it would allow smaller parties to bring some new ideas to the table and maybe give some of them the chance in government every so often. It seems like very few really want Starmer in charge, they would just prefer labour in compared to more of the Conservatives. 

It would have been interesting if Covid didn’t happen and Johnson may have made a fist of it with some money to stop austerity and attempt at levelling up.
I am not dyed in the wool Labour voter but hope Starmer has bit about him to make some radical decisions not just scared of upsetting the Daily Mail types. Not sure he will be though

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

It would have been interesting if Covid didn’t happen and Johnson may have made a fist of it with some money to stop austerity and attempt at levelling up.
I am not dyed in the wool Labour voter but hope Starmer has bit about him to make some radical decisions not just scared of upsetting the Daily Mail types. Not sure he will be though

Yes I expect covid but paid to many plans. I just don't want labour to do too much of the politics of envy or try to get more equality by pulling down people who have had some success. I also don't want identity politics and racial or gender quotas nor do I want someone in a position of power who doesn't know what a woman is. I don't want labour to give loads more money to the NHS to waste or to be soft on illegal migrants which will just attract even greater numbers. I don't think Starmer is as batshit insane as someone like Corbyn but neither do I think that giving the likes of Jess Phillips, West Streeting and David lammy significant positions of power to be a good sign. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

........ but neither do I think that giving the likes of Jess Phillips, West Streeting and David lammy significant positions of power to be a good sign. 

What about Kemi Badenoch, Suella Braverman, Liz Truss, or Jacob Rees-Mogg ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

What about Kemi Badenoch, Suella Braverman, Liz Truss, or Jacob Rees-Mogg ?

Tbf Kemi is the only one in a senior position these days. Though also tbf she’s even more completely useless than the other three, just not quite yet as toxic.