Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Unlucky bazunu thought he'd saved that 

Again CB didn't seem like he picked up the man and manning rushed across to cover like the Bournemouth game 

He'll get the blame because he got a touch on it so it looks like a mistake - If he'd got nowhere near it though, he wouldn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

The great Will Smallbone getting away with yet ANOTHER pass to no one. Poor from him today but he'll be MOTM because he's an academy player.

He’s had a poor game today, his passing has been way off his last two games.

Might just be me but some of this is pretty promising.

We know we need another striker (hopefully we find a buyer for Adams as, on this form, I’d rather keep Armstrong).

AZ are a decent outfit and we are matching them.

Controversial opinion maybe but won’t be sad if someone takes KWP off our hands. Really has been shocking recently.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bennyev said:

Armstrong just ain't good enough.
Either a poor first touch.
Over or under hits the pass.
Or doesn't hit it first time.

painful watching someone so out of form

Odd take, he’s been pretty good in my view.

• Like 3

Just now, lambtiss said:

The possession. Slow build up game that we are playing seems to leave no space for our wingers to exploit 

A couple of minutes ago, we had Tella and KWP stood on top of each other - neither had space and were both looking to run onto the ball.

That's the best right side of any championship team and we can't utilise it at all 

• Like 2

Personally I think we've been pretty decent. Definitely should have had a pen. Absolutely need someone clinical up top for the end of the window. Annoying to give away the goal but these guys are much better than Sheffield Wednesday. Good to watch some attractive football and I'd like a goal. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, James said:

Might just be me but some of this is pretty promising.

We know we need another striker (hopefully we find a buyer for Adams as, on this form, I’d rather keep Armstrong).

AZ are a decent outfit and we are matching them.

Controversial opinion maybe but won’t be sad if someone takes KWP off our hands. Really has been shocking recently.

How are we matching them if we're 0-1 down???

• Confused 4

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Personally I think we've been pretty decent. Definitely should have had a pen. Absolutely need someone clinical up top for the end of the window. Annoying to give away the goal but these guys are much better than Sheffield Wednesday. Good to watch some attractive football and I'd like a goal. 

We will get a striker.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Have we missed lots of chances then?

We really need a strong presence up front. Look back at our last Championship side, class throughout but with Rickie Lambert up top we had a proper focal point. He could drop deep and play it, he was an aerial threat, you could ping it up to him and it would stick. And he could hit them from distance too. The likes of Tella and Edozie would be much more of a threat with someone like that to play off. As it is, up front we look very nice but just not threatening or clinical enough, and it almost pointless to put a cross in as there’s no height to attack it (how many goals did that side score from headers, RL got loads at the back post and other players did too).

• Like 7

I think if you excluded everything in either box, you'd be pretty happy with Saints performance.

But the same issues still exist from last season, no real goal threat and a leaky defense.

A few promising signs, but the striker situation appears to be rectified by making a signing.

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Have we missed lots of chances then?

You watching the game or just the score? We’ve played some nice stuff, many more chances and Bazunu has had barely anything to do. Clear we need a striker but we are more than holding our own and this lot are no mugs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

We really need a strong presence up front. Look back at our last Championship side, class throughout but with Rickie Lambert up top we had a proper focal point. He could drop deep and play it, he was an aerial threat, you could ping it up to him and it would stick. And he could hit them from distance too. The likes of Tella and Edozie would be much more of a threat with someone like that to play off. As it is, up front we look very nice but just not threatening or clinical enough, and it almost pointless to put a cross in as there’s no height to attack it (how many goals did that side score from headers, RL got loads at the back post and other players did too).

Reckon that will be Piroe towards the end of the window, 6ft 1 to Lambert's 6ft 2 and a proper target man. Let's hope so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, manji said:

We are playing some really good stuff. It’s a practise match. Lots of new players. 

Playing some really good stuff, yet not scoring, conceding soft goals and bedding new players in with the first game of the season 6 days away. Worried???

Just now, James said:

You watching the game or just the score? We’ve played some nice stuff, many more chances and Bazunu has had barely anything to do. Clear we need a striker but we are more than holding our own and this lot are no mugs.

As said above, I'm not watching but following it on here. Haven't read many comments about chances for strikers that were missed. Maybe nobody has mentioned them?