Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

Terrible 1st Half performance - hardly got past the halfway line - Manning & Charles really struggled - but sure will improve given time - Bournemouth had much more of a nasty side/fight than us.  Edozie was bullied/smothered all the time.  Greatly improved 2nd half - Much more positive play & composure.  Looked a much better team. Think we definitely need a decent keeper & Che Adams is just a complete waste of space - he can do one! 

• Like 2

We’re not very good at all this building from the back malarky and we haven’t been for a very long time.. probably since VVD left. I seem to recall we were better at it under Koeman. We’re no Man City though and we haven’t got the ability to do it every time the keeper has possession. When there’s time or the game suits it, fair enough. But if we don’t have alternatives, we’re going to get found out very quickly and give needless goals away under pressure that will cost us vital points.. just like last season.

Thought there was improvement this game but there needed to be. We made their side look far better than they were.

We should improve early in the season.. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Zorba
Auto correct shite

14 minutes ago, Zorba said:

We’re not very good at all this building from the back malarky and we haven’t been for a very long time.. probably since VVD left. I seem to recall we were better at it under Kidman. We’re no Man City though and we haven’t got the ability to do it every time the keeper has possession. When there’s time or the game suits it, fair enough. But if we don’t have alternatives, we’re going to get found out very quickly and give needless goals away under pressure that will cost us vital points.. just like last season.

Thought there was improvement this game but there needed to be. We made their side look far better than they were.

We should improve early in the season.. Fingers crossed.

When you have McCarthy and Lyanco as 40% of your back 5 it’s no wonder. 

• Like 2

Ive said for an awful long time McCarthy’s distribution is absolutely woeful, he’s slso a poor communicator and….. you know what… he’s just absolutely crap… how anybody signed off on him getting a contract extension is beyond me

We desperately need a keeper, to replace McCarthy and to bench Baz who’s confidence is absolutely shot

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When you have McCarthy and Lyanco as 40% of your back 5 it’s no wonder. 

McCarthy is a huge problem, not only because he doesn't make saves but because he can't really play football. Bazunu doesn't make saves either but at least his distribution is very good. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Terrible 1st Half performance - hardly got past the halfway line - Manning & Charles really struggled - but sure will improve given time - Bournemouth had much more of a nasty side/fight than us.  Edozie was bullied/smothered all the time.  Greatly improved 2nd half - Much more positive play & composure.  Looked a much better team. Think we definitely need a decent keeper & Che Adams is just a complete waste of space - he can do one! 

Completely agree. 

Line up in the first half was a mess, no one looked comfortable, centre back pairing really didn't work (Lyanco freshly back from his failed move in Istanbul) whole formation was disjointed, Bournemouth also very physical which we struggled to cope with, ref let a lot of cynical fouls go without booking. 

Much better after making changes

We're really struggling passing around at the back, always look likely to make a mistake and it cost us two goals, need to learn from that. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Based on what I saw tonight and on who I think will still be here come next Friday, this is the line up I'd go for. 

Bazunu, KWP/Tino, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning, Smallbone, JWP, Alcaraz, SAA, Tella, A.Armstrong. 

I didn't see anything from SAA to make me think he's ready to start in the championship, only a kid but far too easy to knock him off the ball. 

Djenepo had another calamity performance 

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

I didn't see anything from SAA to make me think he's ready to start in the championship, only a kid but far too easy to knock him off the ball. 

Yeah he definitely needs a few minutes here and there. 

I'd be starting Sarmstrong and Tella on the wings. 

There's no way Shea doesn't start though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JRM said:

SAA may well be better suited to coming off the bench. The other option is obviously Stu, providing his fitness is ok.

38 minutes ago, JRM said:

Completely agree. 

Line up in the first half was a mess, no one looked comfortable, centre back pairing really didn't work (Lyanco freshly back from his failed move in Istanbul) whole formation was disjointed, Bournemouth also very physical which we struggled to cope with, ref let a lot of cynical fouls go without booking. 

Much better after making changes

We're really struggling passing around at the back, always look likely to make a mistake and it cost us two goals, need to learn from that. 

You make a fair point about Bmuff being far more physical and aggressive than us. I fear that we will again be too weak to compete with the physical sides which fill the Championship. Not sure how we address this problem unless Martin has plans to bring in a few big athletic players who can look after themselves. We continue to look as though we have too many feeble players who get knocked off the ball far too easily. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Surprised to see Simeu involved with the B team given our problems at CB, thought we'd take a look at him in the first team squad this pre-season. 

He spent a lot of time on the bench when he was on loan at Morecambe last season. I'm not sure he's ready/good enough to step up. 

14 minutes ago, egg said:

He spent a lot of time on the bench when he was on loan at Morecambe last season. I'm not sure he's ready/good enough to step up. 

If that's the case I don't think he ever will be then. Let the lad go and have a career ffs. 

• Like 1

Ideal pre season friendly - decent opposition and both players and manager should have learnt a fair bit.  My thoughts:

Bit harsh on Charles to play at CB - it's obviously not his position and he'll not be playing it unless absolutely necessary

Edozie needs to knuckle down a bit - talented kid but needs to work a bit harder.  Seemed to lose the ball far too much.

Neither Livramento or KWP look comfortable with an inverted fullback role.  Bree didn't even look like he fancied it enough to try it.

Lavia is phoning it in.

Sam AA looks awesome.  We'll need to manage him but great prospect and deserves quite a lot of first team minutes.

Will Smallbone should start against Sheff Weds.  Links up play well, good first touch, great vision and more than capable of providing key passes.  Out of everyone so far he's been the standout for me.  Defensively still a few question marks but RM should be looking at a formation that means we can cover that.

Seems like we'll be playing it out from the back most of the time - don't really mind that but he needs to be pragmatic enough to put less emphasis on that all the time we don't have a defence capable of it.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Same failings from where I'm sitting - Moussa not knowing what to do with his feet, McCarthy kicking the ball into touch like it's rugby, Lyanco celebrating nonsense and still giving up goals for fun. Adams totally isolated up top and fluffing the few chances he gets. Same players, same failings.

Hell of a lot of work needed. Need some takers for Moussa, Lyanco and McCarthy ASAP.

You surprise me.

• Haha 1

All reports saying Latvia looked completely disinterested, we gave him his opportunity and he was happy then while also paying him a fortune no doubt. Ungrateful sod. Sounds like second half we played some good stuff, but why are we so slow all the time to get going.

3 hours ago, saintant said:

You make a fair point about Bmuff being far more physical and aggressive than us. I fear that we will again be too weak to compete with the physical sides which fill the Championship. Not sure how we address this problem unless Martin has plans to bring in a few big athletic players who can look after themselves. We continue to look as though we have too many feeble players who get knocked off the ball far too easily. 

Exactly what got us relegated as we all know, why we haven’t bought in some bigger players like Romeu we’re still missing him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STEVEADAMS said:

All reports saying Latvia looked completely disinterested, we gave him his opportunity and he was happy then while also paying him a fortune no doubt. Ungrateful sod. Sounds like second half we played some good stuff, but why are we so slow all the time to get going.

He's a young lad, world at his feet. Have to accept he'll have the odd off game. In other games he has been a standout. To have Liverpool prepared to pay a fortune for you must be quite something.

He was certainly trying but it just wasn't happening for him. He had way too much to do and not much support.

Plus Bournmouth know all about him and targeted him early on. He started to make an impact as the 1st half went on, when he learnt how to evade his markers.

He'll bring serious cash into the club, which probably means we can keep at least one of Alcaraz, Tino , or JWP.  That is the edge Saints need.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

He's a young lad, world at his feet. Have to accept he'll have the odd off game. In other games he has been a standout. To have Liverpool prepared to pay a fortune for you must be quite something.

He was certainly trying but it just wasn't happening for him. He had way too much to do and not much support.

Plus Bournmouth know all about him and targeted him early on. He started to make an impact as the 1st half went on, when he learnt how to evade his markers.

He'll bring serious cash into the club, which probably means we can keep at least one of Alcaraz, Tino , or JWP.  That is the edge Saints need.

Most likely keep Tino and Alcaraz. 

Replace Lavia and JwP probably with Grimes Or Downes and hopefully a attacking midfielder.

• Like 1

From the last two friendlies...

Assuming JWP and Lavia go I'm not unhappy with Charles and Smallbone in central midfield.

AArmstrong looks more potent than Che up front. But a striker would make a big difference.

Keeper is a concern.

Manning improves us at left back.

If we keep one of Tino or KWP then right back looks good. Less sure about Bree.

Charly and SArmstrong can run the show in attacking midfield in the middle.

Tella, Edozie and Sam Amo-Ameyaw look good out wide. Sulemana too if he stays and his head is interested.

Centre back is a concern especially given the likely departures of ABK, Lyanco and Salisu. Though equal concern if they stayed. I guess Bednarek and Stephens look most likely here.

So, if we can move some people on then a striker, cover for midfield and another centre back out outfield players look good. Goalkeeper is a must because McCarthy can't play this system and Bazunu may not grow into it.

However, for the first time in a long time there's real buzz about us going forward. Probably the first time since Koeman. Our defending is still best viewed from behind the sofa though.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 7

Didn't watch the game but reading reports my take away is that we narrowly lost to a team from the league above while our best player wasn't trying and our defense was largely made up of players who won't be starting there once the season kicks off.

Doesn't sound too bad.

• Like 9

Superb free kick by Manning that led to goal. Curled away from the goalkeeper in the box with a powerful header from Charles coming into  it. Agree with most on here that Smallbone looked confident and played well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Didn't watch the game but reading reports my take away is that we narrowly lost to a team from the league above while our best player wasn't trying and our defense was largely made up of players who won't be starting there once the season kicks off.

Doesn't sound too bad.

It was a strange game for me. We started really bright and looked great going forwards, probably should have been 1 up, but after 10 mins or so, they realised that if they just full pressed us from the keeper, we'd play into trouble and we started to panic. Bournemouth dominated the first half after that, we couldn't get out our own half, but that was more down to us. 

We played 1 DM, then 2 more attacking CMs and, being honest, it was way too attacking and they go through us way too easily. 

Second half was much, much better. I thought we controlled the game and you could see Martins coaching shining through. 

I was really unimpressed by Bournemouth. Ridiculously aggressive in a tackle for a friendly, constant petty niggly fouls and just played like they were fighting for survival. I couldn't really work out what style they play, seems like a counter attack. They pressed us well (from goal kicks), but we made it easy for them with all round sloppy play. 

McCarthy cannot play a minute for us next season, I didn't hit home until yesterday how poor he is with the ball at his feet. We need another CB, someone comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and imo ideally someone left footed (so many times we had to play into danger as we had no one who could turn out onto the left). Djenepo was Djenepo, very poor. Edozie was bullied. Adams very poor as well. 

Really impressed by Smallbone when he came on, done the simple stuff and reminded me of JWP, just as he had his transition to a more aggressive deep lying player under Ralph. Would definitely be keeping S Armstrong as well, gave us composure on the ball and drive through the middle. 

In short, any teams that are sensible in how they press us next season will probably beat us, but things to be optimistic about. 

We desperately need 2/3 players in urgently, GK, CB, ST. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

In fairness, they are short of 4/5 of their best players, given they're in the first team. 

True, but most of the 22 players in the squad are professional footballers. Very poor effort to get smashed for 5 at a conference south outfit.

• Like 1

Smallbone has shown over the last 2 games that he can play well under pressure and in tight spaces. We don’t have many players that can pass one touch in dangerous areas and retain possession so well. Suits Martin-ball very well, dropping in between those centre backs and starting attacks. Notable second half that we could play out much better with him and the 2 FBs on. Also impressed by his last ditch block to save McCarthy’s blushes. In one phase of play he won the ball back 3 times.

Shea Charles was very composed but looked a little bit off the pace at CB, understandably so given that’s not his position. It was a shame he didn’t get long in his preferred position before coming off.

Manning looks to have energy, composure and willingness to get us moving. Lovely free kick for the goal and I’m very happy with him at LB going forward. One of Tino or KWP will surely be sold?

Agree regarding McCarthy, cannot play out, cannot play under pressure, cannot be starting for us in this system. Ideally we get rid and bring in an other to challenge Bazunu. That 2nd goal was shocking from McCarthy.

First half was painful watching us trying to play out with a lucky dip of random players. After Reading this put some doubt in my mind but second half we looked much better. I’m hoping that our first 11 aren’t making those silly mistakes, we will get better with time and potentially bring in some new players that are better suited too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

It was a strange game for me. We started really bright and looked great going forwards, probably should have been 1 up, but after 10 mins or so, they realised that if they just full pressed us from the keeper, we'd play into trouble and we started to panic. Bournemouth dominated the first half after that, we couldn't get out our own half, but that was more down to us. 

We played 1 DM, then 2 more attacking CMs and, being honest, it was way too attacking and they go through us way too easily. 

Second half was much, much better. I thought we controlled the game and you could see Martins coaching shining through. 

I was really unimpressed by Bournemouth. Ridiculously aggressive in a tackle for a friendly, constant petty niggly fouls and just played like they were fighting for survival. I couldn't really work out what style they play, seems like a counter attack. They pressed us well (from goal kicks), but we made it easy for them with all round sloppy play. 

McCarthy cannot play a minute for us next season, I didn't hit home until yesterday how poor he is with the ball at his feet. We need another CB, someone comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and imo ideally someone left footed (so many times we had to play into danger as we had no one who could turn out onto the left). Djenepo was Djenepo, very poor. Edozie was bullied. Adams very poor as well. 

Really impressed by Smallbone when he came on, done the simple stuff and reminded me of JWP, just as he had his transition to a more aggressive deep lying player under Ralph. Would definitely be keeping S Armstrong as well, gave us composure on the ball and drive through the middle. 

In short, any teams that are sensible in how they press us next season will probably beat us, but things to be optimistic about. 

We desperately need 2/3 players in urgently, GK, CB, ST. 

Funnily enough, the same 3 positions we’ve been in desperate need of for some time.
Doesn’t matter how much we go on about coaches, managers, formations, leadership, squad size, player cliques etc, our big issues over the last few years have been not replacing Ings, not replacing Forster since he got injured and his form bombed, and not finding any good centre backs since VVD left. VVD would be hard to ‘replace’, but Hoedt, Vesti, Bednarek, Stephens, Salisu, DCC, Lyanco plus a couple of others I’ll have missed have all been nowhere near PL standard.

You can survive 1, possibly 2 of these gaps but not all 3. 

We do need at least 2 of these sorting if we are to get promoted IMHO. The rest of the squad looks good, potentially very good.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Smallbone has shown over the last 2 games that he can play well under pressure and in tight spaces. We don’t have many players that can pass one touch in dangerous areas and retain possession so well. Suits Martin-ball very well, dropping in between those centre backs and starting attacks. Notable second half that we could play out much better with him and the 2 FBs on. Also impressed by his last ditch block to save McCarthy’s blushes. In one phase of play he won the ball back 3 times.

Shea Charles was very composed but looked a little bit off the pace at CB, understandably so given that’s not his position. It was a shame he didn’t get long in his preferred position before coming off.

Manning looks to have energy, composure and willingness to get us moving. Lovely free kick for the goal and I’m very happy with him at LB going forward. One of Tino or KWP will surely be sold?

Agree regarding McCarthy, cannot play out, cannot play under pressure, cannot be starting for us in this system. Ideally we get rid and bring in an other to challenge Bazunu. That 2nd goal was shocking from McCarthy.

First half was painful watching us trying to play out with a lucky dip of random players. After Reading this put some doubt in my mind but second half we looked much better. I’m hoping that our first 11 aren’t making those silly mistakes, we will get better with time and potentially bring in some new players that are better suited too.

Definitely not suited and surprised he's still here as he obviously isnt going to work in this system, and all in all hasnt been good enough for several years. 

Also, he's been here 7 years and didnt know and couldn't care less when asked about the Saints badge. Considering he's one of our longest serving players, you'd think the least he can do would know what badge he's putting on every week. 

• Like 1

Agree with alot that's been said above, there is a time and a place to play out from the back and when the pitches start getting cut up i hope we have a plan B, that being said, Sheffield Wednesday are playing the same way so next Friday could be intersting. Player wise,  Bree just doesnt do enough for me and worry that when we lose KWP & Tino there's a big gap. Good to see Stu Armstrong back and looked good. Lots of positives though and there will also be new signings coming in, currently, we just need to tighten up from breakways and play out from the back when it's on and not everytime. As for the booing, unbelievable !!

Bearing in mind this was supposed to be a friendly, Bournemouth's physicality was often borderline legal and sometimes arguably criminal; we were extremely lucky to have survived without a serious injury. Their right backs unnecessary assaults on Edozie deserved punishment early on from the ref but he meekly let things carry on. It's a tribute to our youngster that he just kept picking himself up from the floor and carried on without any hint of retaliation or unwillingness to resume the battle👏👏 👏

The other thing of note from the evening was the mind boggling stupidity of the fool who decided that closing Mountbatten Way to traffic on a match night before the game had ended was good idea, when obviously thousand of cars coming in from the West had to make their way home. Presumably some people were still trying to get out of the jams at midnight!

As for the match itself, miles in the legs, quite entertaining and many learning points exposed before we are anywhere near the finished article. 

As for individuals, couldn't understand why Lavia wasn't part of the "main" team fielded in the second half? Irrespective of whether he is going or staying, if you're going to play him at all then play him in a meaningful formation, not amongst the stiffs.

I get sick of the verbal abuse of Gavin Bazunu on this forum and one could quite understand why the young lad might have his head all over the place if any of that abuse comes to his notice but honestly if any of his poisoness detractors thinks that MacCarthy is a better alternative then they should surely have got their answer in spades last night. A more appalling display of incompetence and ineptitude would be hard to imagine. 

What else is there to say about Adams that has not been said already? His lack of effort and involvement will not have endeared him to potential suitors who were likely at St Mary's casting an eye over him. Perish the thought that he doesn't move on and we get stuck with him. 😒

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 6

Watched the game on the official stream last night.

Have to say that on that showing I doubt we will be going up next season. Although there was plenty of good stuff in terms of going forward and way more pace than we had last season, when we lost the ball (which was very often) the oppo could slice us apart at will. And that's from a Bournemouth team that looked like they were in second gear and will likely be in trouble next season in the Prem. Our goalkeeping situation is disastrous. McCarthy is awful at most things, but great at punting the ball long and out of play. He seems to have taken the instruction 'hold on to it to invite the press' to heart, and responds with hoofing it badly. His agility is appalling. He doesn't come out enough, or go down quickly enough. And Bazanu is too error prone, despite being better at distribution. So we desperately need a good, experienced keeper. Even an older one. 

In front of the keeper, the marking last night was terrible. People losing their man, giving free headers. Hence two soft goals. The protection in front of our CBs was poor too, with too much easy giveaways. Until, that is, Smallbone came on. He was excellent, I thought, and linked up play and tackled really well. If I was a Liverpool scout and watched him v Lavia's performance last night, I would be confused! But Smallbone can't do it alone. I think we need another good defensive midfielder to play alongside him, which worked well when we had Oriel playing close to JWP at times, for example. If JWP is off, perhaps we do need to get Downes in. Going forward we looked good at times, and at times the possession football worked well. But as soon as we lost the ball, panic set in and it was easy pickings for Bournemouth. Any Championship managers watching will know how to easily unpick Saints' new 'tactics'. Personally, although I like Russell Martin (and have met him a few times), I'm not hopeful that it will be quite the easy ride some will expect this season. We will concede a LOT of goals. Sure, we will score a good few too, but that does not equal a steep rise up the league or auto promotion, in my view. I know it's only one game but the tactics are clear, as is our inability currently to switch to tightening up once possession is lost. And for that reason I think we will have a season of adjusting, and finishing just in the top half. If we stay patient with RM it may be that we can build on this, but it will take time. And some very astute purchases including a keeper, CDM and striker once Lavia and JWP and maybe Tino have reaped in the cash in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

An entertaining game in the end with lots of positives but the same old mistakes by the same players.

firstly, last nights game drove home the fact I  won’t be sad if any of last seasons squad moved on, even those classed as the better players of the squad make simple mistakes or look lacking in quality 

KWP, Adams, Lyanco, Lavia, Djenepo, McCarthy all very poor last night.

Bazunu let’s it soft goals but his distribution is miles better than McCarthys so I expect Baz to be our number 1.

I thought Charles looked a bit lost for the first 20 minutes but seemed to grow in to the game quickly and finished the first half strongly even before his goal.

Manning looked like a player who knew the system and what was expected of him but was playing alongside players that didn’t. I think he’ll be a good signing, intelligent player but hard to show it in the shit show of the first 20 minutes.

Djenepo is an enigma, can be the player that opens up defences but also so frustrating, step overs in the middle of your own half are just not needed, seems to make the wrong decisions regularly. 

KWP has dropped off a cliff edge, 18 months ago he’d probably moving to a top six club and was arguably our best player, can’t see anyone willing to take the risk at the moment and makes just as many mistakes as everyone else at the moment. 

Adams offered so little last night, I don’t think he’ll suit the way we intend to play so I expect him to move on.

Smallbone… what a revelation. If there was one of our players being linked with a £40-£50m move to a top six club you’d think it was him on his last two showings. He’s going to be a massive player for us this season. From what I’ve seen so far in pre season I’ll go as far as saying he’ll be our most important player. We could have done with him last season.

Tella, dangerous and direct, again why on earth did we waste £20+m on players in January when we had him on the books already.

Been impressed with Armstrong in pre season, looking Sharpe.

Stu came on and proved he’s still a quality player who I think has been criminally over looked by our last few managers.

all in all, I think there’s a decent starting 11 who can play the system and know what’s expected of them and have the quality to get us close to the top, whether the other 11 or so fringe players we have are good enough is another question!! 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Indeed. It gets us nowhere. Literally.

It worked really well on Saturday we just need players on pitch that can play it. 
What’s the suggestion hoof it to the wings? We don’t have a central striker that can win it

Edited by Give it to Ron

2 hours ago, DT said:

But Smallbone can't do it alone. I think we need another good defensive midfielder to play alongside him

I wonder then if the Choudry rumours could be true, if its just a destroyer RM wants it could well be true 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

It worked really well on Saturday we just need players on pitch that can play it. 
What’s the suggestion hoof it to the wings? We don’t have a central striker that can win it

No. It’s not either one extreme or the other. For possession football to work it requires constant movement all over the pitch and it needs to be done with pace and purpose. Not just moving it across the back just for the sake of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

I'm going to use this for kids coaching...

How not to do it: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No. It’s not either one extreme or the other. For possession football to work it requires constant movement all over the pitch and it needs to be done with pace and purpose. Not just moving it across the back just for the sake of it. 

We don’t though as it was going via Smallbone and JWP on Saturday that’s the point we need the players to play it