Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

So same old southampton (I.e. Lots of tippy tappy but in largely in non dangerous positions, lose the ball, have no shape, get cut apart like a knife through butter... And then score from a set play?) 😂🤣

Joking aside, I really like our attacking play and the way it's encouraging and feeding off the intelligence/vision/creativity of players like alacarz and manning and runners like A-A... But my goodness are we horrific in cdm and CB atm 😢😭. No shape defensively at all and worse than ever when hit on the counter. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, coalman said:

Who wouldn't? That silky first touch. The ability to glide past his man and the almost preternatural ability to pick out a team mate. He's a loss and no mistake.

I was thinking more about his world class ability when he doesn’t have the ball

Interesting first half. Some moments of good passing and movement off the ball, mixed in with some crazy play at the back. Edozie has grown into the game and if this was a proper match a couple of their players would be on yellows. Not seen much from Che Adams other than the regular missed one on one. Shea Charles looks quality as does Amo-A at times. Not impressed with McCarthy distribution, lost the ball with some misplaced throws. 
Overall, the positives just outweigh the negatives at this stage of pre season. 

• Like 1

Guessing ABK is off negotiating a deal somewhere else then? It's such a weird situation to be in, knowing that none of our current centrebacks might be at the club when the window shuts. Need to get some reinforcements in and decide who our CB partnership is going to be, sharpish.

Just now, Turkish said:

I was thinking more about his world class ability when he doesn’t have the ball

True. If you were going to bet your life on a man being able to stand between the ball and his own goal he would be your man. At least until he stopped tracking back 5 metres before his own penalty area.

1 minute ago, Scoobysaint said:

Interesting first half. Some moments of good passing and movement off the ball, mixed in with some crazy play at the back. Edozie has grown into the game and if this was a proper match a couple of their players would be on yellows. Not seen much from Che Adams other than the regular missed one on one. Shea Charles looks quality as does Amo-A at times. Not impressed with McCarthy distribution, lost the ball with some misplaced throws. 
Overall, the positives just outweigh the negatives at this stage of pre season. 

Edozie has had some pretty rough treatment. He's skinning his man at will. Amo-Ameyaw looks great with the ball at his feet too.

Djenepo not so much. Every touch seems like he's surprised where the ball has gone.

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

True. If you were going to bet your life on a man being able to stand between the ball and his own goal he would be your man. At least until he stopped tracking back 5 metres before his own penalty area.

I'd personally pick the keeper first 😅🤔

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

Shouldn't underestimate Bournmouth. As much as we hate it, they are a tidy unit particularly in defense.

Saints have really been exposed by a lack of height. Bournmouth simply stick a couple of big men up for corners and it is panic stations.

Some nice play through the middle, they seem to be adapting well, but a real lack of bite in there atm.

It's a friendly, a good test and that most certainly wasn't the A team. 2nd half should be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

So same old southampton (I.e. Lots of tippy tappy but in largely in non dangerous positions, lose the ball, have no shape, get cut apart like a knife through butter... And then score from a set play?) 😂🤣

Joking aside, I really like our attacking play and the way it's brining out the intelligence and vision of players like alacarz and manning. But my goodness are we horrific in cdm and CB atm 😢😭. No shape defensively at all and worse than ever when hit on the counter. 

The good news is that won’t be our starting defence and midfield. Lyanco and Bree won’t be there and I’m hoping we’ll have a better balanced midfield. 2 10s and Lavia a strange one. The starting team against Reading worked much better. 

9 minutes ago, coalman said:

Who wouldn't? That silky first touch. The ability to glide past his man and the almost preternatural ability to pick out a team mate. He's a loss and no mistake.

I see he still isnt with a team yet, bestikas or celtic look like he could be off too - 30k a week

Not near our first team but too much of that half looked like men against boys. McCarthy is far too slow in distributing the ball and that is putting pressure on us so we lose possession in dangerous positions - not surprisingly Bmuff are wise to this and are pressing us high up the pitch. Too many of this starting line up are clearly out of their depth and not cut out to play this possession football where you need to be cute enough to receive the ball in tight situations. The goal was much needed and probably gives the scoreline a flattering look. I hope our starting eleven against Sheff Wed has more idea how to play this system because we looked awful in large chunks of that first half. I'd rather we resorted to a few hoofs upfield than always trying to keep possession even when it's obvious we're in trouble - mix it up a bit because we are far from Man City.

• Like 1

The link up play is good overall in the final third but our build up play at the back was suicidal at times with Bournemouth playing such a high line. I think it's still clear GK is our weakest department, closely followed by CB.

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

yeah who can we petition so he's on all our games

As far as I’m aware Saints haven’t signed up to ifollow next season and will be doing our own thing so it’s very likely this could be a glimpse of things to come.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

I cannot quite believe we gave Djenepo a further 3 year deal.

The guy just came in from his left and took him out there surely? Certainly looked like it on the 3rd replay angle - but we didn't get to see that for any other shot. We'd be pissed if this was a meaningful game?

2 minutes ago, St Louis said:

But McCarthy knows how to save a shot.  Not ideal really is it.

wasnt he the worst keeper in the league for shots before we signed baz ? hence forster superceded him for quite a few games

Anyway the point is moot as they are both shit in their unique ways

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bennyev said:

GK position is a right mess.

Do you pick the one who can't save or the one who can't play it out from the back?

Unbelievable scenario. Literally not had a decent keeper since Forster's capitulation at palace years ago. 

Just now, Convict Colony said:

wasnt he the worst keeper in the league for shots before we signed baz ? hence forster superceded him for quite a few games

Yeah, probably 😂
I'd still 'argue' that Baz is better with his feet, but McCarthy is better with his hands (just).
Not a high bar for either of them to beat though. Definitely a big problem for the season ahead.

• Like 1