Graeme Souness just swam The Channel

Suhari

12 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

He was part of a 6 person relay so he’s only done a 6th of it. That however shouldn’t detract from what he’s done and why. 

From what I've heard it's not a walk in the park even as a relay. There's a good chance of getting sea sickness on the boat during rest periods, so you have to swim your later stints while coping with nausea and vomiting.

What surprises me is that the team elected to use wetsuits. The Channel swim is unique in that wetsuits are not permitted, so it's not actually a valid crossing. Still a decent feat, but It's a bit like doing the London Marathon on a kid's scooter - just choose a different event if you really want to do an endurance sport that way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

You do it if it’s that easy.

Are you asking about marathon on a kid's scooter or Channel swim with a wetsuit?

Personally I would do neither, because both would still be a pain in the arse without saving very much time, and officially you would be disqualified, despite all the expense of hiring a boat and pilot.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

I met Souness at a pre season friendly when he was our manager. 
If I recall it was at Brentford I think, it was at the time that MLT had not made the England squad after his impressive display in an England B game or something like that. 
we spoke at length on varying  footballing topics inc MLT. 
He was an absolute mind of information. He was brilliant to chat to. 
I compare that to the time I spoke to Mark Hughes after a friendly against Barnet…he was an absolute tool.
just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Are you asking about marathon on a kid's scooter or Channel swim with a wetsuit?

Personally I would do neither, because both would still be a pain in the arse without saving very much time, and officially you would be disqualified, despite all the expense of hiring a boat and pilot.

Someone better tell Souness it doesn’t count and to refund the £1m plus he’s raised for charity, what a fraud.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Are we sure he swam across The Channel? He wasn't just going through the motions?

I think it's illegal to do motions in the English channel, so I think it's safe to assume he was swimming. 

• Haha 1

On 19/06/2023 at 13:12, suewhistle said:

Are we sure he swam across The Channel? He wasn't just going through the motions?

South East Water are well known for their channel discharges (like Southern and every other public water company in England). Bunch of sh*ts.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 11:45, saint lard said:

I met Souness at a pre season friendly when he was our manager. 
If I recall it was at Brentford I think, it was at the time that MLT had not made the England squad after his impressive display in an England B game or something like that. 
we spoke at length on varying  footballing topics inc MLT. 
He was an absolute mind of information. He was brilliant to chat to. 
I compare that to the time I spoke to Mark Hughes after a friendly against Barnet…he was an absolute tool.
just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’ve always liked Souness - punditry wise and when you listen to him speak about the game, he’s first class. It was just a shame that at times, he couldn’t dovetail that exceptional knowledge with his management - I think he himself was the first to admit he was a bit firebrand with his style.

Perhaps that was why he was so big and miss… as when you listen to him, he’s exceptional (though he did dumb down a lot for his Sky role) - maybe it was his abrasive style that held him back a bit.

• Like 1

Met Souness a few times and a very sound individual - exudes quiet charisma, polite and serious. Last on a plane with him over Easter and he looked fighting fit. Had our chairman not been Rupert Lowe with the club at the Dell I think he could have really made his mark on Saints. Genuine eye for a player and similar to Koeman as a giant in the game - able to manage footballers with a tilt of the head or a sideways stare. 

• Like 2

On 19/06/2023 at 10:12, Ted Bates Statue said:

From what I've heard it's not a walk in the park even as a relay. There's a good chance of getting sea sickness on the boat during rest periods, so you have to swim your later stints while coping with nausea and vomiting.

What surprises me is that the team elected to use wetsuits. The Channel swim is unique in that wetsuits are not permitted, so it's not actually a valid crossing. Still a decent feat, but It's a bit like doing the London Marathon on a kid's scooter - just choose a different event if you really want to do an endurance sport that way.

Fucking hell!!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking hell!!

I made a comment which I think equated to very mild criticism, can you cope with that? God forbid people discuss the nuances of a sporting challenge on a forum set up for talking about sport.

Imagine if this was the typical response whenever someone commented in a similar fashion on a footballing matter: 

"Che Adams is a solid player at PL level, but he has to do better at converting his chances if he wants to start for Scotland or join a top half side..."

"Fuck off mate YOU have a go doing his job if you think he's so shit. And he earns more money than you, so ner!"

:mcinnes:

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I made a comment which I think equated to very mild criticism, can you cope with that? God forbid people discuss the nuances of a sporting challenge on a forum set up for talking about sport.

Imagine if this was the typical response whenever someone commented in a similar fashion on a footballing matter: 

"Che Adams is a solid player at PL level, but he has to do better at converting his chances if he wants to start for Scotland or join a top half side..."

"Fuck off mate YOU have a go doing his job if you think he's so shit. And he earns more money than you, so ner!"

:mcinnes:

Fuck off mate, you were having a pop at a 70 year old man who swam the channel for charity because he was wearing a fucking wet suit.