Israel

egg

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Just don’t see the problem in a march calling for a ceasefire, on a day that commemorates a ceasefire.

Rememberence Day is not commemorating a ceasefire, it is commemorating the fallen soldiers, sailors, and airmen of the British and Commonwealth forces in all conflicts of the 20th and 21st centuries. The date is symbolic and was selected for poignancy.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Really?

Several hundred heavily armed soldiers who are sworn to protect the King come face to face with a protest march at the Cenotaph where the King just happens to be.

What could possibly go wrong?

That's just common sense.... something that seems quite alien to some posters on here.

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the big deal. I say let the BNP have a peaceful March on Eid or Windrush day. I don't see the problem. 

Exactly, it would never be allowed to happen by any government, nor should this march be permitted.

17 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The reasons for the march are justifiable. The day is not and should never be no matter what the reason. It’s a day for looking back and remembering those that have given their lives without question for this country.

It will definitely polarise views further if they disrupt any Remembrance commemorations.  Rightly this is a poignant day for many although seemingly not to others. You know, the peace guys

40 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The reasons for the march are justifiable. The day is not and should never be no matter what the reason. It’s a day for looking back and remembering those that have given their lives without question for this country.

I'll remember in the Romsey memorial park as always. Plenty of others won't venture out, but will remember. Others won't remember at all. Some will be protesting. Some will be shopping, going to the gym, etc. That's their choice - they don't have to remember. 

Plenty of people choose not to remember. Going on a protest is no more disrespectful than choosing to do something else other than remember. 

My remembering is not diminished by anyone else not remembering. Nor is anyone else's. 

If the protests directly impact on remembrance that's an entirely different issue. If they don't, there is no issue. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, egg said:

I'll remember in the Romsey memorial park as always. Plenty of others won't venture out, but will remember. Others won't remember at all. Some will be protesting. Some will be shopping, going to the gym, etc. That's their choice - they don't have to remember. 

Plenty of people choose not to remember. Going on a protest is no more disrespectful than choosing to do something else other than remember. 

My remembering is not diminished by anyone else not remembering. Nor is anyone else's. 

If the protests directly impact on remembrance that's an entirely different issue. If they don't, there is no issue. 

Clearly they've chosen the date and location in order to impact on rememberance. Come on you're not silly. 

55 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Clearly they've chosen the date and location in order to impact on rememberance. Come on you're not silly. 

In all of this I have no support other than to stop the needless loss of life on both sides which, in my honest opinion is disgusting. If people want to protest then that is their decision but on rememberance Sunday I think shows a lack of respect and gives plenty of political ammunition to their detractors.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Once again we'll agree to differ. You remember how you choose to, I'll do what I choose to, and these people will do what they choose to. You'll be as impacted by it as I will. The police will have the job of preventing direct impact in London. 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Once again we'll agree to differ. You remember how you choose to, I'll do what I choose to, and these people will do what they choose to. You'll be as impacted by it as I will. The police will have the job of preventing direct impact in London. 

You're just being deliberately obtuse. If that's what you really think that they haven't chosen that specific date for very specific reasons then all I can say is that the overwhelming majority of public opinion will disagree with you. 

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly, it’s an obvious tactic. Now there are rumours of a counter demonstration from what Sog would call the far right. I’m of the view that protests/marches should be allowed but this is simply and attempt to cause mass disruption and of course any counter demonstration from those opposed to it will play right into the hands of the likes of Sog who will be falling over each other to be the first to criticise it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly, it’s an obvious tactic. Now there are rumours of a counter demonstration from what Sog would call the far right. I’m of the view that protests/marches should be allowed but this is simply and attempt to cause mass disruption and of course any counter demonstration from those opposed to it will play right into the hands of the likes of Sog who will be falling over each other to be the first to criticise it. 

Why is it obvious that people protesting for Palestine want to disrupt remembrance? They're gathering to call for peace. Sure, there'll be some nonsense and disruption from some idiots, but what makes you believe that's the intention/tactic? 

Edited by egg

13 minutes ago, egg said:

Why is it obvious that people protesting for Palestine want to disrupt remembrance? They're gathering to call for peace. Sure, there'll be some nonsense and disruption from some idiots, but what makes you believe that's the intention/tactic? 

They could have chosen any other day, that’s why. 

and if it wanted to provoke a reaction they’ve done just that as looks like they’ll be a counter protest as well

Edited by Turkish

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

They could have chosen any other day, that’s why. 

and if it wanted to provoke a reaction they’ve done just that as looks like they’ll be a counter protest as well

That doesn't suggest that anyone wants to disrupt remembrance events. The organisers have said that they're liaising with the met over routes, and will stay away from the cenotaph area. People are jumping on the Sunak and Douglas Murray bandwagon.

Indeed, people like Murray ain't helping by calling the protesters "Hamas supporters". It won't be long before the government follow suit. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

That's great!, so if they're gathering to call for peace that surely means I can rock up with an Israeli flag and be welcomed with open arms?......I mean they want peace don't they, so what better way to show it than walking side by side for peace?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, harvey said:

That's great!, so if they're gathering to call for peace that surely means I can rock up with an Israeli flag and be welcomed with open arms?......I mean they want peace don't they, so what better way to show it than walking side by side for peace?

What's that gotta do with remembrance day? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, harvey said:

I should have been clearer, my point was your inference that it is a march for peace.

If some idiots want to make it something else, then the police have a job to do. But idiots being idiots doesn't make the organisers/protesters want to disrupt the remembrance stuff, which is the suggestion that people including Sunak are making. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

That doesn't suggest that anyone wants to disrupt remembrance events. The organisers have said that they're liaising with the met over routes, and will stay away from the cenotaph area. People are jumping on the Sunak and Douglas Murray bandwagon.

Indeed, people like Murray ain't helping by calling the protesters "Hamas supporters". It won't be long before the government follow suit. 

Oh come on egg you’re not naive. You know as well as I do that in amongst the peaceful protesters there will be a significant element with another agenda. Likewise the counter protest will contain the same. 

They could chose any day but they’re choosing a day which is significant for a lot of people in this country 

I’m amazed the met police are allowing on that day. Probably because if they don’t they’ll be accused of islamaphonia. It’s a recipe for disaster even if the organisers are well intentioned

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Oh come on egg you’re not naive. You know as well as I do that in amongst the peaceful protesters there will be a significant element with another agenda. Likewise the counter protest will contain the same. 

They could chose any day but they’re choosing a day which is significant for a lot of people in this country 

I’m amazed the met police are allowing on that day. Probably because if they don’t they’ll be accused of islamaphonia. It’s a recipe for disaster even if the organisers are well intentioned

I'm not naive, but the suggestions that the purpose of the protest is to disrupt remembrance is nonsense. Yes, an element will be idiots, but that doesn't make the intention of the protest to disrupt remembrance or desecrate the cenotaph. The subject is completely unrelated. 

The counter protest will be interesting, and the government have thrown fuel on that by calling the protests "hate marches", and a few right wing commentators haven't helped by labelling supporters as "hamas supporters". 

All of that will make people more determined to protest. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not naive, but the suggestions that the purpose of the protest is to disrupt remembrance is nonsense. Yes, an element will be idiots, but that doesn't make the intention of the protest to disrupt remembrance or desecrate the cenotaph. The subject is completely unrelated. 

The counter protest will be interesting, and the government have thrown fuel on that by calling the protests "hate marches", and a few right wing commentators haven't helped by labelling supporters as "hamas supporters". 

All of that will make people more determined to protest. 

Do you think the organisers are completely unaware that there will be those there on “their side” intent on causing an issue?

if they answer is no then they are incredibly naive, if the answer of yes then do they think it’s wise to organise a March on the one day of the year that is more than any other is likely to raise tensions.

The intention may not be to disrupt Remembrance Day but if they really believe there won’t be those in their ranks that will be wanting to do so they they are not fit to organise a March in the first place. They have every other day of the year to do it, why chose that day?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, egg said:

that doesn't make the intention of the protest to disrupt remembrance or desecrate the cenotaph

Why do it on the same day then? Wouldn't it be more logical to do it on another day if the aim isn't to interfere with the remembrance ceremony? #callmeoldfashioned #logic

Edited by trousers

35 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why do it on the same day then? Wouldn't it be more logical to do it on another day if the aim isn't to interfere with the remembrance ceremony? #callmeoldfashioned #logic

Probably to get more publicity.

Edit: they have done it every Saturday since the war started.

Edited by aintforever

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

So it's an assumption that they want to disrupt. If it's in another area (which they want) , starting later (which they want) and properly policed (which it should be) the 2 events will not interfere with each other. 

What we cannot do as a democratic society is clamp down on protests on a gut feeling it'll go wrong. 

#slippery slope

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Do you think the organisers are completely unaware that there will be those there on “their side” intent on causing an issue?

if they answer is no then they are incredibly naive, if the answer of yes then do they think it’s wise to organise a March on the one day of the year that is more than any other is likely to raise tensions.

The intention may not be to disrupt Remembrance Day but if they really believe there won’t be those in their ranks that will be wanting to do so they they are not fit to organise a March in the first place. They have every other day of the year to do it, why chose that day?

They're doing them lots of days. Today included. Ditto tomorrow. What's essentially being suggested is that they shouldn't do it that day. In an ideal world they would have a day off, but they don't have to, and shouldn't be made to. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

They're doing them lots of days. Today included. Ditto tomorrow. What's essentially being suggested is that they shouldn't do it that day. In an ideal world they would have a day off, but they don't have to, and shouldn't be made to. 

You didnt respond to any of the questions, some more for you. 

why do you think to this particular March there has been a reaction from the so called far right?

do you think it’s the organisers responsibility as well as the police to avoid any potential for clashes and violence? 

of there is a potential risk to safety then absolutely they should be made not to protest, this doesn’t mean protests shouldn’t be allowed but there has to be some responsibility to ensure it can be done safely

55 minutes ago, egg said:

So it's an assumption that they want to disrupt. If it's in another area (which they want) , starting later (which they want) and properly policed (which it should be) the 2 events will not interfere with each other. 

What we cannot do as a democratic society is clamp down on protests on a gut feeling it'll go wrong. 

#slippery slope

It’s more than a gut feeling. There are plenty of talks of a counter protest which is only going to result in things going one way. Just because we’re a democracy doesn’t mean we can be completely blasie in letting people just get on with it knowing full well there is a risk to public safety 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You didnt respond to any of the questions, some more for you. 

why do you think to this particular March there has been a reaction from the so called far right?

Not for me to say, but Sunak has given them plenty of encouragement

do you think it’s the organisers responsibility as well as the police to avoid any potential for clashes and violence? 

Organisers can't manage the behaviour of individuals. 

of there is a potential risk to safety then absolutely they should be made not to protest, this doesn’t mean protests shouldn’t be allowed but there has to be some responsibility to ensure it can be done safely

Answers above Del. I'm not sure if your questions suggest that you've moved away from your initial point that the protest has been organised to cause disruption, but that there is scope for disruption. If that's now your position, we are agreed. 

4 hours ago, egg said:

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Answers above Del. I'm not sure if your questions suggest that you've moved away from your initial point that the protest has been organised to cause disruption, but that there is scope for disruption. If that's now your position, we are agreed. 

Original point was in response to you saying no one wants to disrupt the Remembrance Sunday events, there will be, the organisers will know this and have a responsibility as well. 

I see it’s now kicking off in Trafalgar square at todays march, still think it’s just “a gut feel”?

3 hours ago, egg said:

If some idiots want to make it something else, then the police have a job to do. But idiots being idiots doesn't make the organisers/protesters want to disrupt the remembrance stuff, which is the suggestion that people including Sunak are making. 

We're not going to agree on this as I think you're taking a very simplistic and naive stance on this subject, and no doubt you feel the same about me.

Nevertheless, I hope everything goes peacefully next weekend....but I doubt it very much.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Original point was in response to you saying no one wants to disrupt the Remembrance Sunday events, there will be, the organisers will know this and have a responsibility as well. 

I see it’s now kicking off in Trafalgar square at todays march, still think it’s just “a gut feel”?

Nope, that's not how it went. My original point was that there's nothing disrespectful about protesting. Your point was "this is simply and attempt to cause mass disruption" on remembrance day. 

I've never said that there may not be issues. I've said that there'll likely be idiots. What I've also said is that the purpose of the protest is not an "attempt to cause mass disruption" as you claimed.

This rhetoric that the protestors are setting out primarily to disrupt remembrance day is nonsense. Sure, there may some disruption from those in attendance, but there's a world of difference between that and the actual objective of the event. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Nope, that's not how it went. My original point was that there's nothing disrespectful about protesting. Your point was "this is simply and attempt to cause mass disruption" on remembrance day. 

I've never said that there may not be issues. I've said that there'll likely be idiots. What I've also said is that the purpose of the protest is not an "attempt to cause mass disruption" as you claimed.

This rhetoric that the protestors are setting out primarily to disrupt remembrance day is nonsense. Sure, there may some disruption from those in attendance, but there's a world of difference between that and the actual objective of the event. 

Okay so let me get this straight 

im a protest organiser I choose any time or place to protest but I choose a time and place to protest where I know there is chance I might disrupt a traditional service 

I know the police force will be stretched that day dealing with the said service and protecting the attendees 

I know in my group there will be some people who are actively looking to cause issues 

I also am aware of a possible counter protest from another group which may be looking to confront my group

am I acting like responsible protest organiser? Is this really worlds apart from deliberate attempt to cause disruption?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

If that's the case, then I have no issue with it (I'm not really up to speed with the ins and outs of this situation, I just assumed, from what I'd heard/read, that they were aiming to coincide with the Armistice ceremony, rather than avoid it, but if what you say is correct, i.e. that the two events won't coincide, then fair enough, live and let live...)

Edited by trousers

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Okay so let me get this straight 

im a protest organiser I choose any time or place to protest but I choose a time and place to protest where I know there is chance I might disrupt a traditional service 

I know the police force will be stretched that day dealing with the said service and protecting the attendees 

I know in my group there will be some people who are actively looking to cause issues 

I also am aware of a possible counter protest from another group which may be looking to confront my group

am I acting like responsible protest organiser? Is this really worlds apart from deliberate attempt to cause disruption?

You've shifted your position Del. If you're saying that the organisers knew that the protests may cause disruption, of course they did. That much is obvious. That's a world away from your original point that the purpose of the protests "is simply an attempt to cause mass disruption". 

The possible counter protest has been mentioned after the protest was announced. I'd hazard a guess that the motivation for that is almost entirely to cause disruption.