Israel

egg

Student unrest growing across the US.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/26/college-protests-israel-gaza

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68901927.amp

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/why-students-are-protesting-across-us-campuses-explained/article68108928.ece/amp/

Maybe it’s time for some people to stop using their usual deflection technique of throwing out lazy antisemite accusations and actually accept that Netanyahu’s actions in Gaza and the West Bank have gone way beyond what is acceptable in response to the attack on 7th October. Unless of course, you believe that the persecution of hundreds of thousands of trapped, innocent civilians is justifiable.

*** Surprise,surprise. Netanyahu is playing the antisemitism card against the US students. Sorry Bibi, you are a busted flush.

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/why-students-are-protesting-across-us-campuses-explained/article68108928.ece/amp/

Maybe it’s time for some people to stop using their usual deflection technique of throwing out lazy antisemite accusations and actually accept that Netanyahu’s actions in Gaza and the West Bank have gone way beyond what is acceptable in response to the attack on 7th October. Unless of course, you believe that the persecution of hundreds of thousands of trapped, innocent civilians is justifiable.

Jesus wept.

14 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Is there an opinion poll in favour of continuing military action in Gaza? My sixth form IT skills can’t find one.

I don’t think it is as binary as some of the best Saintsweb brains seem to assume.

Opinions can change as does the military action taken so a govt saying they have gone too far doesn’t equal should’ve left them alone all along. Although let’s keep it nice and simple and view it as peace lovers v Islamophobic warmongers. 

51 minutes ago, whelk said:

lol -based on US universities?

I think it's pretty clear that those who support/favour ongoing Israeli military action are very much in the minority. 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 12:12, whelk said:

lol -based on US universities?

I think that we all understand just how important US support for Israel is and that support is already wavering.

Those of us of a certain age will remember the effect that student unrest had on the US government and the Vietnam war (for any youngsters here check out Neil Young’s Ohio). 

Biden is facing growing pressure to stop providing munitions to Israel. It is very naive to say that internal unrest in the US and growing support for the Palestinians will not effect how the White House deals with the situation as it progresses, especially with a presidential election looming.

*** I’ll say it again, people who use laughing emojis when others discuss the systematic killing of innocent civilians of any ethic or religious backgrounds are seriously deranged.

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I think that we all understand just how important US support for Israel is and that support is already wavering.

Those of us of a certain age will remember the effect that student unrest had on the US government and the Vietnam war (for any youngsters here check out Neil Young’s Ohio). 

Biden is facing growing pressure to stop providing munitions to Israel. It is very naive to say that internal unrest in the US and growing support for the Palestinians will not effect how the White House deals with the situation as it progresses, especially with a presidential election looming.

You get student unrest nowadays as a reaction to a JK Rowling tweet. If people are equating US universities as an indication of supporting changing they are fools. These cunts were writing letters supporting Hamas on 8th October and froth at the slightest hint that a guest speaker who has said anything remotely controversial. They normally grow up though

• Like 2

On 28/04/2024 at 09:15, sadoldgit said:

The biggest hit to public opinion over Vietnam was the real-time news coverage of the Tet offensive, blowing the myth that the US was winning the war. That and the photos of lines of body bags getting shipped back to the States. Students were mainly concerned with dodging the draft.

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The biggest hit to public opinion over Vietnam was the real-time news coverage of the Tet offensive, blowing the myth that the US was winning the war. That and the photos of lines of body bags getting shipped back to the States. Students were mainly concerned with dodging the draft.

Who can blame them although I don’t think you can lay that claim to the pro Palestinian protests now (and women weren’t drafted).

I wasn’t suggesting that the student protests were responsible for ending the Vietnam war but they were certainly a part of a very large pressure group. The shooting dead of 4 students by the National Guard in Ohio was a major contributing factor in  turning  public opinion against the war. Can you imagine our special forces shooting people dead in London on pro Palestinian marches?

And yes, I was 14 at the time so it was my era. I remember very well how the protests grew both in the US and internationally the longer the war went on. 
Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy were both assassinated in 1968 and major riots kicked off in Paris, (caused in part in protest to American imperialism - and before you say they were a number of internal contributing causes in France, yes I know, which is why I said in part).

There were plenty of major protests in London over the war too.  Volatile times.

I was responding originally to Whelks comment that student protests wouldn’t change a thing and my original point still stands, which is pressure is growing internally in the US over Biden’s support for Israel to the extent that he has already started to pressure on Netanyahu to change his approach.

Edited by sadoldgit

52 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I was responding originally to Whelks comment that student protests wouldn’t change a thing

It is the next step from sixth form but still at a stage where things are black and white to them. Of course it is positive that students protest at injustices but they also get worked up when Bill Maher (very much a democrat) is booked to speak on campus.

One of the Jewish organisers in your article referred to Israel as a ‘colonial apartheid state’ - fucking idiot

America withdrew from Vietnam in 1973, 5 years after Soggys year of protest so it seems valid to say student protests don’t really make much of a difference. It also seems a bit bizarre to be linking Dr King & Bobby Kennedys assassinations to the Vietnam war. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I wasn’t suggesting that the student protests were responsible for ending the Vietnam war but they were certainly a part of a very large pressure group. The shooting dead of 4 students by the National Guard in Ohio was a major contributing factor in  turning  public opinion against the war. Can you imagine our special forces shooting people dead in London on pro Palestinian marches?

LOL

The National Guard are nothing like SF, many of them, particularly in the 60s, were not much more than the uniformed wing of the NRA; People who want to cosplay being in the military to avoid being drafted into the real thing.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

LOL

The National Guard are nothing like SF, many of them, particularly in the 60s, were not much more than the uniformed wing of the NRA; People who want to cosplay being in the military to avoid being drafted into the real thing.

Still shot 4 people dead and injured 9 others and my point was imagine the outcry if the same thing happened here by armed personnel deployed by the authorities (and we have had innocent people shot dead by armed police). 

Meanwhile…before 7th October

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/29/idf-human-rights-violation-gaza-us-state-department

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text

15 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Fear not, the end of the Israel - Gaza war is near.  It's been confirmed that a student was molested and murdered by security forces, so the students will be rising up (after noon obviously) which will turn public opinion and end the war.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68840881

An Iranian teenager was sexually assaulted and killed by three men working for Iran's security forces, a leaked document understood to have been written by those forces says.

It has let us map what happened to 16-year-old Nika Shakarami who vanished from an anti-regime protest in 2022.

Either that or more teenagers will mysteriously vanish from the protests.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Fear not, the end of the Israel - Gaza war is near.  It's been confirmed that a student was molested and murdered by security forces, so the students will be rising up (after noon obviously) which will turn public opinion and end the war.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68840881

Either that or more teenagers will mysteriously vanish from the protests.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend 

On 27/04/2024 at 11:38, sadoldgit said:

*** Surprise,surprise. Netanyahu is playing the antisemitism card against the US students. Sorry Bibi, you are a busted flush.

Are you happy with your life Sog?

Throughout this thread, those who have an issue with Muslims and have constantly supported Netanyahu’s actions against the Palestinian people have used the Hamas position that Israel needs to be wiped off of the map as justification for the destruction of Gaza and a large percentage of its population.

They managed to completely ignore the same position of a number of members of the Israeli government towards the Palestinians. This is the latest outburst from an Israeli government minister.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/israeli-newspaper-calls-for-firing-of-top-netanyahu-minister-over-repeated-calls-for-genocide-of-palestinians/amp/

Netanyahu has also use the word Amalek when describing the situation with Palestinians.

Perhaps those who don’t have a problem with the clear and obvious murder of innocent civilians because they are Muslim/Palestinian explain to the rest of us why it is okay to use your own religious/geopolitical dogma to do so if you stand under the Israeli flag rather than the Palestinian flag?

A number of us have been saying from the start that the position of extremists on both sides, that the other should be destroyed, is both wrong and untenable. 

We agree that the attack of 7th October was abhorrent and have witnessed many terrorist incidents carried out by Palestinian terrorist groups over the years. To turn a blind eye to similar atrocities and aggression carried out by the Israelis shows a wilful ignorance of history that can only be based on selective bias.

We have all read the posts from the Netanyahu supporters  over the years making fun of the Islamic religion. Not once do you see them making fun of similar religious dogma when spouted by the likes of Netanyahu, Ben-Gvir and Smotrich. What makes Islam so risible and Judaism sacrosanct in their eyes? How can you be disgusted by what happened on 7th October but ignore the same thing when it is happening on a much larger scale to a different bunch of human beings?

As ever, a laughing emoji at the bottom just displays ignorance and a basic lack of humanity.

BINGO! 🙄
Would these people use laughing emojis under posts about the Holocaust?

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text and emoji
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This has been going on for years, but I don't think I've ever seen it reported in this way on the BBC before.

Absolutely, disabling kids with dum dum bullets, killing them, often for throwing stones at the most. Appalling behaviour that's been brushed under the carpet for too long. Nice to see the BBC highlighting it, at last. 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely, disabling kids with dum dum bullets, killing them, often for throwing stones at the most. Appalling behaviour that's been brushed under the carpet for too long. Nice to see the BBC highlighting it, at last. 

Shoot the stone throwing kids now, stops them growing up into suicide bombers.