Tonight’s fans forum.

gio1saints

Im a fan of possession based football, and I’m also a fan of teams that have an identity. I used to do a lot of coaching in my youth, so Im always appreciated and ‘geeked out’ over tactics

The Russell Martin appointment always intrigued and excited me, but the more this goes on the more this feels like a busted flush… before I get chastised, Im speaking from balance here, Ive always found Im more of an optimist around Saints on here and on twitter, but Im starting to get genuinely concerned.

We can argue until the cows come home about ‘time’ and ‘patience’ but at what point do we start to question this ? We look destined for mid table obscurity with arguably the best ‘squad’ in this division, yet, we look like one of the easiest to beat ?

Unfortunately if we are waiting on things to click, then things are going to have to click with a real ferocity to salvage this season… or are we assuming we are gearing up for a push next year ?

I need to see more then just words, because so far we have one of the most fragile underbelly’s in the league

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

All this topic has revealed is that some fans want to be gaslit and they will tie themselves in knots trying to gaslight others.

Russell Martin isn't going to promote us. It's all excuses from him. 

Poch had a visible effect on us within a few weeks. 

Are you arguing Martin hasn’t had a visible effect on us? Because I see a completely different team to previous years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im a fan of possession based football, and I’m also a fan of teams that have an identity. I used to do a lot of coaching in my youth, so Im always appreciated and ‘geeked out’ over tactics

The Russell Martin appointment always intrigued and excited me, but the more this goes on the more this feels like a busted flush… before I get chastised, Im speaking from balance here, Ive always found Im more of an optimist around Saints on here and on twitter, but Im starting to get genuinely concerned.

We can argue until the cows come home about ‘time’ and ‘patience’ but at what point do we start to question this ? We look destined for mid table obscurity with arguably the best ‘squad’ in this division, yet, we look like one of the easiest to beat ?

Unfortunately if we are waiting on things to click, then things are going to have to click with a real ferocity to salvage this season… or are we assuming we are gearing up for a push next year ?

I need to see more then just words, because so far we have one of the most fragile underbelly’s in the league

Unbeaten in 4 but oh so easy.

12 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

All this topic has revealed is that some fans want to be gaslit and they will tie themselves in knots trying to gaslight others.

Russell Martin isn't going to promote us. It's all excuses from him. 

Poch had a visible effect on us within a few weeks. 

In fairness, newly relegated championship teams rarely get the best young manager coming through in the Spanish top flight who has been praised by Pep...

I have serious concerns about our football under Martin, we have a far better team than a lot of sides we're facing and yet we're gifting goals, wasting possession/chances, and dropping points. Against that i acknowledge we've had huge churn off/on the field this summer and we are rebooting the entire tactical setup.

The reality is, i think we're being carried by the strength of the playing squad rather than the tactics atm - although, that combination might get us promoted either way. I also do think that as this team grows together they will get more fluid and more dominating in games, and that we'll stop making the same mistakes etc at the back... the second half vs hull was at least promising in that we just took control and really did look like getting the winner - but against that, it was the same old frailties at the back which were clear for all to see. The concept of us playing like this in the premier league (assuming we get back) is horrifying.

Long story short, the recent games have saved him from the sack, but they're yet to really convince me. With our squad and resources there really is no excuse not to be finishing top 3 or 4 this season - and if we don't i'll be laying that blame on Martin and SR as it stands. For me, we need to spend some money in January and actually strengthen the wing backs and get a proper CF. We're an injury to KWP away from being properly stuffed, and we've needed to be more clinical since Ings left.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, notnowcato said:

And he’s struggling at a club that has been utterly rudderless for over 12 months, ring any bells??

Completely irrelevant but you already know that. Chelsea are a totally different side to what we were when he came to us.

I realise you are one of the main promoters of RussellBall but no matter how much you big him up, it's obvious it's not working.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, notnowcato said:

And he’s struggling at a club that has been utterly rudderless for over 12 months, ring any bells??

Pochettino had a positive effect at Tottenham and did perfectly well at PSG and more likely that not will succeed at Chelsea ultimately. Chelsea unbeaten in four but apparently that's not good enough for you.

Another manager has scraped MK Don to a breathtaking 13th in the third their and Swansea to 9th in the second tier with the one of the very worst defensive records in the league- ring any bells??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Pochettino had a positive effect at Tottenham and did perfectly well at PSG and more likely that not will succeed at Chelsea ultimately. Chelsea unbeaten in four but apparently that's not good enough for you.

Another manager has scraped MK Don to a breathtaking 13th in the third their and Swansea to 9th in the second tier with the one of the very worst defensive records in the league- ring any bells??

Yeah, tough gigs at Spuds and PSG. 🙄

The situations Poch and RM inherited here were vastly different, I didn’t compare the 2, I just disagree with the comparison being made in the first place. Struck me as a desperate attempt to undermine RM, I should’ve just ignored it. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What's that even supposed to mean?

Managing Surs is some easy job is it? 

For someone so breathtakingly pedantic you don't get much right, do you?

For someone so breathtakingly “intelligent” you seem to struggle over a straight forward sentence with a direct emoji to help. 
Have a nice evening Fry. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

In fairness, newly relegated championship teams rarely get the best young manager coming through in the Spanish top flight who has been praised by Pep...

I have serious concerns about our football under Martin, we have a far better team than a lot of sides we're facing and yet we're gifting goals, wasting possession/chances, and dropping points. Against that i acknowledge we've had huge churn off/on the field this summer and we are rebooting the entire tactical setup.

The reality is, i think we're being carried by the strength of the playing squad rather than the tactics atm - although, that combination might get us promoted either way. I also do think that as this team grows together they will get more fluid and more dominating in games, and that we'll stop making the same mistakes etc at the back... the second half vs hull was at least promising in that we just took control and really did look like getting the winner - but against that, it was the same old frailties at the back which were clear for all to see. The concept of us playing like this in the premier league (assuming we get back) is horrifying.

Long story short, the recent games have saved him from the sack, but they're yet to really convince me. With our squad and resources there really is no excuse not to be finishing top 3 or 4 this season - and if we don't i'll be laying that blame on Martin and SR as it stands. For me, we need to spend some money in January and actually strengthen the wing backs and get a proper CF. We're an injury to KWP away from being properly stuffed, and we've needed to be more clinical since Ings left.

Hilarious, recent games have saved him from the sack... Pretty much like every other manager! 

In other words, recently he is doing well. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah, tough gigs at Spuds and PSG. 🙄

The situations Poch and RM inherited here were vastly different, I didn’t compare the 2, I just disagree with the comparison being made in the first place. Struck me as a desperate attempt to undermine RM, I should’ve just ignored it. 

Spurs to 2nd and a champions league final.....yeah, shit job

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 09:16, Fabrice29 said:

Unbeaten in 4 but oh so easy.

And yet Rotherham were able to steal a point and we just about got away with it against Hull this weekend which in the end is a great result away from home 

Again Im generally a happy clapper and my posts history on here is exceptionally pro Russell M and Sports Republic especially in light of my links with the club

We’re on an excellent run, after a dreadful run… we now need to maintain this consistency 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

And yet Rotherham were able to steal a point and we just about got away with it against Hull this weekend which in the end is a great result away from home 

Again Im generally a happy clapper and my posts history on here is exceptionally pro Russell M and Sports Republic especially in light of my links with the club

We’re on an excellent run, after a dreadful run… we now need to maintain this consistency 

You said we look like one of the easiest teams to beat and your citing two games we didn’t get beat in now. 

We looked quite easy to beat against Sunderland and Leicester. I’m not sure Boro and Ipswich found it particularly easy but fine, even if I give you that, I’m not sure it’s fair on any level to say we’re one of the easiest teams to beat.

Edited by Fabrice29

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

You said we look like one of the easiest teams to beat and your citing two games we didn’t get beat in now. 

We looked quite easy to beat against Sunderland and Leicester. I’m not sure Boro and Ipswich found it particularly easy but fine, even if I give you that, I’m not sure it’s fair on any level to say we’re one of the easiest teams to beat.

we are comfortably one of the easiest teams to score against, if anything

• Like 1

Apart from 30 mins against Leeds, 45 against Wednesday & Rotherham, I don't remember us absolutely dominating a full game all season. Its actually pretty depressing how average we've been every single week where it looks like we could concede with every attack. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Dman said:

Apart from 30 mins against Leeds, 45 against Wednesday & Rotherham, I don't remember us absolutely dominating a full game all season. Its actually pretty depressing how average we've been every single week where it looks like we could concede with every attack. 

I feel sorry for you. Your expectations and reality are so far apart. 
Enjoy the wins, be a bit pissed with the losses and meh to the draws. 

It’s October, we’re fifth, there’s room for improvement and a looooonnnnnnngggggg way to go. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, notnowcato said:

I feel sorry for you. Your expectations and reality are so far apart. 
Enjoy the wins, be a bit pissed with the losses and meh to the draws. 

It’s October, we’re fifth, there’s room for improvement and a looooonnnnnnngggggg way to go. 

Correct - because we appointed a manager who has no track record of being anything other than bang average. 

Given the cost and quality of our squad, reality should be way closer to our expectations. I'm not expecting us to piss the league like Leicester will (although had we not been rejected by their manager maybe we would have), but I expect us to be more dominant and look more comfortable than we have. 

Going down was an opportunity to rebuild with a view of going up and being stronger in the PL next season. Its an opportunity we've absolutely wasted as we only get weaker season upon season from here. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Dman said:

Correct - because we appointed a manager who has no track record of being anything other than bang average. 

Given the cost and quality of our squad, reality should be way closer to our expectations. I'm not expecting us to piss the league like Leicester will (although had we not been rejected by their manager maybe we would have), but I expect us to be more dominant and look more comfortable than we have. 

Going down was an opportunity to rebuild with a view of going up and being stronger in the PL next season. Its an opportunity we've absolutely wasted as we only get weaker season upon season from here. 

....and tonight's lottery numbers are?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What was on the tactics board for a game like Preston Away?

Chuck the keeper upfront with seconds left and hope their substitute heads it into his own net. Trust the process, it’s working. People like you are the problem, get behind the club…

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...