Tonight’s fans forum.

gio1saints

5 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Appreciate the reply and I accept you are only telling it how you see it. I would really like to be convinced and give him time but he has been a manager for 4 seasons now and has an average finish of 14th if my maths is correct. I am comparing him to the likes of Leicester who do not seem to deem it appropriate to call a seminar to explain why they feel they have it right. Their fans just have to look at the table. Early days I accept but I reckon we are where we ought to be and both managers have been at their clubs a similar length of time. And let’s not forget we did the double over them last season. 
Of course the elephant in the room remains the catastrophic and incomprehensible appointment of Jones last season which has completely undermined any confidence many of us have in the managerial appointment process at St Mary’s. 

How many times in games do Leicester leave the slowest midfielder as only one back then have a cavalry charge from opposing team at goal?

Or a goalkeeper chip the ball over the whole attack and midfield with no-one near defenders only opposite attackers?

These tactics are nuts if you don’t have the Man City squad to play this kamikaze stuff. 
Defence is key yet we have conceded far too many stupid mistakes by playing this way. 
I like him and speaks well but all this PR b/s doesn’t wash with me football is a simple game trying to convince yourself and others you have something no one else has thought of is Grimm or Aesop fairytale stuff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think if you're not interested in what Martin or Wilcox has to say then it's probably best to ignore it.  They'll still get judged on results by most, if not all, fans.

I've got my doubts over Martin and I'm not sure the emphasis on a particular style or philosophy is the best way forward but I am interested to hear about the thinking behind it and the kind of football they're trying to implement.  Sure, it's a PR exercise but sounds like it was a lot more informative than your average pre game press conference.  Hopefully the club put it on the OS or the YouTube soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Give us time……where has this worked before? Why do we think we can do something no other club has thought of before?

Play best players in best positions to the best tactics not some fairy tippy tap bollox with kids, youth and prem cast offs like Fraser and Holgate.

If you honestly think we’re doing something that no other team has done before because you’ve seen us try and keep the ball a bit then your probably not best placed to provide a  ‘best players, best positions, not some fairy tippy tap bollox’ solution. 

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Hopefully the club put it on the OS or the YouTube soon.

No chance of it being published if the pre-event blurb is anything to go by......They don't want other clubs to see how clever we are.... ;)

image.thumb.png.c1c414dee544d9a3c0fa14fc559f1c9a.png

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

If you honestly think we’re doing something that no other team has done before because you’ve seen us try and keep the ball a bit then your probably not best placed to provide a  ‘best players, best positions, not some fairy tippy tap bollox’ solution. 

Where does it say that b/s about keep the ball in my post you obviously can’t read anything that doesn’t suit your belief in him or agenda.

Have another look at inverted full backs after a 5-0 drubbing! Have a look at corners, have a look at pressing leaving whole midfield with no-one in .

What other club does that? 

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Where does it say that b/s about keep the ball in my post you obviously can’t read anything that doesn’t suit your belief in him or agenda.

Have another look at inverted full backs after a 5-0 drubbing! Have a look at corners, have a look at pressing leaving whole midfield with no-one in .

What other club does that? 

You’re really asking me if other clubs play inverted full backs, other clubs set up at corners like we do and other clubs play a high press and get it wrong sometimes? I don’t think the answers to those are hard to find, but that might be because I have an agenda you’re right. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Its clearly a PR stunt to try and get fans on board after the boo's are starting to return to St Marys, but it comes across as arrogance from the club, beyond belief. 

Martin, the master of mid-table, is in no position to start lecturing of how his tactics 'will come good'.

It hasn't taken Enzo time to get a tune out of Leicester, playing a very similar style.

Spot on

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Can you spill the beans on these similar stories? 

JWP referred to slipped standards at the end of last season. This is a good example.

Ok. Another one: This by RM to help refute the Gav is pony thing ( which admittedly I think has toned down a lot in last few games) . Gavin was NOT at fault for the Rotherham goal contrary to some supporter perception. In that exact situation it was the job of the CB to head the ball back to him. Gav came forward for precisely that- as he is supposed to do -  but the header ( from TEB) did not materialise. 
KS was “ knackered “ by the time of the Rotherham match. Three starts in a week was probably too much for him as he still rehabilitates and gets to full fitness. RM stated he had never ever coached a player like KS in his entire managerial career. So there’s an element  of the unknown there. That can be good AND bad - as we’ve seen already this season. But What the team try to do is to engineer it so that KS can be one on one- not that he has to dribble past 4 or 5 to score like v Liverpool. He obviously is regarded as a high value “special” talent. Think most would agree with that but was interesting to hear some background on him. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Its clearly a PR stunt to try and get fans on board after the boo's are starting to return to St Marys, but it comes across as arrogance from the club, beyond belief. 

Martin, the master of mid-table, is in no position to start lecturing of how his tactics 'will come good'.

It hasn't taken Enzo time to get a tune out of Leicester, playing a very similar style.

Leicester are coming from a very similar style (Rodgers), we're coming from 4 years of playing high press non-possession football, and then 9 months of absolute confused shite under Jones and then Selles. Surely you can understand how that can take a a bit more time to develop?

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

But you are perfectly qualified to judge how a transformation is progressing. Give me a break. 

We can clearly see how its progressing and the progress is very small and tedious followed by a lot of excuses and pops at the fans...

If we don't go up this season anything decent we have left will be off, the likes of KWP, CA, THP to name a few and we will have to recruit again and be given the "It takes time" horse shit again 

We have a squad that is/was capable of promotion this season if used correctly but we have probably squandered our best opportunity by persisting with this possession at all costs philosophy......   

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Leicester are coming from a very similar style (Rodgers), we're coming from 4 years of playing high press non-possession football, and then 9 months of absolute confused shite under Jones and then Selles. Surely you can understand how that can take a a bit more time to develop?

Now now Saint Garett. That’s far too obvious for anyone who bothers to actually research the comparison.

We both play the same way now so we should get the same results. Playing differently before under Jones and Selles and Ralph is just an excuse. So you are obviously a Club plant . You should change your name to Saint Turnip of Saint Begonia. 😂😂😂

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’re really asking me if other clubs play inverted full backs, other clubs set up at corners like we do and other clubs play a high press and get it wrong sometimes? I don’t think the answers to those are hard to find, but that might be because I have an agenda you’re right. 

After a 5 nil drubbing?

• Confused 1

It sounds as if we are being promised Jam Tomorrow.

But let's accept the idea of "it takes time, be patient, it will come good" ... I read this to mean don't expect promotion this season. As a trade-off I expect us to run away with the title in the 2024/5 season. Over 100 points and promotion guaranteed way before the end of the season. Am I being unreasonable?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Ah yes, the age old don’t ever play inverted full backs after a bad result fable. 

No your are right the Leicester tactics I put above were obviously spot on…leaving the whole left side unmanned great idea interesting you just pick on inverted full backs in my post and omitted rest must be right then

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

It sounds as if we are being promised Jam Tomorrow.

But let's accept the idea of "it takes time, be patient, it will come good" ... I read this to mean don't expect promotion this season. As a trade-off I expect us to run away with the title in the 2024/5 season. Over 100 points and promotion guaranteed way before the end of the season. Am I being unreasonable?

I think by time they mean not 11 games. They’ve all stated they want promotion as quickly as possible. Not sure anyone doubts that not being promoted would be disappointing but the season is long.

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

No your are right the Leicester tactics I put above were obviously spot on…leaving the whole left side unmanned great idea interesting you just pick on inverted full backs in my post and omitted rest must be right then

I think my point that anyone who states ‘best players, best positions’ as a legit tactic shouldn’t be taken seriously dealt with the rest of your post.

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Ah yes, the age old don’t ever play inverted full backs after a bad result fable. 

Fabrice, EVERYBODY knows you don't play inverted full backs 3 days after a 5-0 away drubbing. It’s a Xmas tree formation of course and then that’s always followed by straight 442. Don't you know anything about professional football???Duh. 😂😂😂.

Honestly, the watertight antipathy towards RH and JW - and by inference even those trying to make objective sense of it - cannot be healthy for posters here?
RM seems to laugh it off and expects it - though nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition to paraphrase Monty Python.

I think as long as it’s fair criticism - meaning not abuse which sadly IS the default approach of some - then he’s big enough to take it on the chin. He sticks up for himself - so some call him arrogant. He admits obstinacy is an Achilles heel for him. He has footballing ideals so some call him an idiot or dreamer, he has passion and can articulate it - so some hate him for daring. He played for Scotland - say no more! He basically walked up with a target on his jumper and said I’m here to get hammered if you want and or please allow me to explain the what and the why first if I may. The arrogant prick talking to us like a civilised human being. How dare he!!!😂😂😂 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I think my point that anyone who states ‘best players, best positions’ as a legit tactic shouldn’t be taken seriously dealt with the rest of your post.

Why isn’t playing our only tackling midfielder alongside Flyn shoring that up a legitimate tactic? Best players best positions or playing 2 lightweight players losing midfield the right tactic after 2 heavy defeats that turned into 4?

No you are right I shouldn’t take your post’s seriously 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Fabrice, EVERYBODY knows you don't play inverted full backs 3 days after a 5-0 away drubbing. It’s a Xmas tree formation of course and then that’s always followed by straight 442. Don't you know anything about professional football???Duh. 😂😂😂.

Honestly, the watertight antipathy towards RH and JW - and by inference even those trying to make objective sense of it - cannot be healthy for posters here?
RM seems to laugh it off and expects it - though nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition to paraphrase Monty Python.

I think as long as it’s fair criticism - meaning not abuse which sadly IS the default approach of some - then he’s big enough to take it on the chin. He sticks up for himself - so some call him arrogant. He admits obstinacy is an Achilles heel for him. He has footballing ideals so some call him an idiot or dreamer, he has passion and can articulate it - so some hate him for daring. He played for Scotland - say no more! He basically walked up with a target on his jumper and said I’m here to get hammered if you want and or please allow me to explain the what and the why first if I may. The arrogant prick talking to us like a civilised human being. How dare he!!!😂😂😂 

Oh yeah those inverted full backs work so well ignoring other tactics posted.

Can you show where anyone has said otherwise about him other than being passionate, good talker instead of all that gumph in that post.

Why did he have to do last night? I dont remember Ralph, Koeman or Strachan having to do that they got buy in from fans. We have one of the most tolerant fan bases.

Most of US want him to succeed we don’t need PR we will support him if he deserves it and we see results .

Great if you believe in all that last night I will be happier with a win at Hull on Saturday with a corner off the defenders arse

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

You keep banging on about Sunderland and Leicester...Martin even said they were miles off it in those 2 games. The Sunderland result he takes full responsibility for, he said he shouldn't have picked certain players. We then had a really poor game against Leicester. 

We have been far better against Leeds, Stoke and Rotherham, which took some balls after losing 4 in a row playing against the in form team in the league in Leeds.

I'm not saying everything he does it perfect, it clearly isn't but if you can't see that we will undoubtedly improve as the season goes on, then I'm not sure I can help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

You keep banging on about Sunderland and Leicester...Martin even said they were miles off it in those 2 games. The Sunderland result he takes full responsibility for, he said he shouldn't have picked certain players. We then had a really poor game against Leicester. 

And then against Ipswich and Boro where defeats by the odd goal flattered us, it definitely did again Boro anyway. 

My main gripe with his style of play is his teams are woeful defensively. Why is that going to change here with time? Other than Leeds, who probably had an off-day, the likes of Norwich, Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich and Boro were probably disappointed they didn't score more against us as they certainly had the chances to. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Loser.

• Haha 3

The way I see it is you’ve got to look at the present situation like bathtime. The water’s been turning luke warm. You don’t empty all the luke warm water out ..and then turn the hot tap on do you? Which is what seems to be happening at the moment with the transition of style. Out with the old and in with the new. You’d be better off adding some hot to the luke warm and get comfortable again before proceeding to get the water piping hot.

At the moment, we’re all stood in a empty bath, freezing our tits off with our shrivelled peckers in our hands, just hoping there’s enough hot water in the tank to fill this bloody bath up again.

🐥🐥🐥

Edited by Zorba
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

There's certainly a lot of hysteria about. Just a reminder that after the same amount of games last season, Burnley had just one more point than us. 

We've a more solid foundation now, helped by playing a more consistent X1 each week, so I think our biggest concern moving forward will be if we're clinical enough to finish games off. We're creating plenty, but need Adams to get out of his funk and start scoring or hope Ross Stewart can hit the ground running. We'll be in and around the play-offs, but probably not good enough/street smart enough to go up this season. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

There's certainly a lot of hysteria about. Just a reminder that after the same amount of games last season, Burnley had just one more point than us. 

We've a more solid foundation now, helped by playing a more consistent X1 each week, so I think our biggest concern moving forward will be if we're clinical enough to finish games off. We're creating plenty, but need Adams to get out of his funk and start scoring or hope Ross Stewart can hit the ground running. We'll be in and around the play-offs, but probably not good enough/street smart enough to go up this season. 

I think that’s bang on our whole season and top 6 is dependent on Ross Stewart’s fitness and hitting the back of net regularly.

Will not be easy given he hasn’t played since January.

Hoping Adams can hit some form to get his Scotland euro place sealed

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

We can clearly see how its progressing and the progress is very small and tedious followed by a lot of excuses and pops at the fans...

If we don't go up this season anything decent we have left will be off, the likes of KWP, CA, THP to name a few and we will have to recruit again and be given the "It takes time" horse shit again 

We have a squad that is/was capable of promotion this season if used correctly but we have probably squandered our best opportunity by persisting with this possession at all costs philosophy......   

<<Checks table again as last time I checked, we were 1 point off the play offs...>>

<<Checks DeLorean hasn't moved off the drive and that we're in "OK October" and not "Shocking September"...>>

Considering the significant change in playing style being authorised by JW, implemented by RM and adopted by the team, it's not a bad start and signs that things are improving.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Zorba said:

The way I see it is you’ve got to look at the present situation like bathtime. The water’s been turning luke warm. You don’t empty all the luke warm water out ..and then turn the hot tap on do you? Which is what seems to be happening at the moment with the transition of style. Out with the old and in with the new. You’d be better off adding some hot to the luke warm and get comfortable again before proceeding to get the water piping hot.

At the moment, we’re all stood in a empty bath, freezing our tits off with our shrivelled peckers in our hands, just hoping there’s enough hot water in the tank to fill this bloody bath up again.

🐥🐥🐥

Unfortunately your analogy leaves out the floaters left in the tub following Jones and Selles' time in charge.

3 hours ago, Dman said:

I agree. Yes Rotherham was a freak result but there was no excuse for the team taking their foot off the pedal in the second half which they did. RM can present all the stats he wants but we didn't win that game because of ourselves not because Rotherham scored a 1 in 10 goal. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I love how fans go to these things, get a few words, get their bellies tickled, have a beer and say - COYRs, it is going to be great (whilst we battle for 9th)

Very true but it does take time for teams to evolve 

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Which RM picked up upon - Leicester are playing the same style as under Rogers.  Same for Brighton with their new guy picking up the same style of play as Potter.

We have changed from a pressing team to a team that keeps the ball .... which is bearing fruit in last few games

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Which RM picked up upon - Leicester are playing the same style as under Rogers.  Same for Brighton with their new guy picking up the same style of play as Potter.We have changed from a pressing team to a team that keeps the ball .... which is bearing fruit in last few games

But that's not what we did against Leeds, at least in the first half. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary&#x27;s said:

I agree. Yes Rotherham was a freak result but there was no excuse for the team taking their foot off the pedal in the second half which they did. RM can present all the stats he wants but we didn't win that game because of ourselves not because Rotherham scored a 1 in 10 goal. 

Which is exactly what he said. In fact he showed us detailed video clips from that match showing precisely how badly we were fannying around with the ball in a congested central middle third of the pitch in 2nd half.

The players were told specifically at HT and also those who came on, to move up a gear and switch the ball wide and quicker -  because it was obvious R were just blocking the centre and we often had a wide man in space - which we could clearly see from the multiple video clips was the case, yet we seemed to be happy passing it around aimlessly.
He put that down to complacency - which is his fault- but also fear. Fear of making the dangerous pass with higher risk of failure instead of the “ safe” pass that retains possession but does not hurt them. He repeated that it’s his job to encourage the players to play without fear so it’s his fault if they played “safe” when he expressly has asked for more bravery. 
And he said against any opponent 1-0 is dangerous and so it proved.

He did not hide behind stats but he just let us be aware of them - Apparently Rotherham had an xg of 0.12. The boss of the footie stats data company that sends RM the stats every week even phoned him to say that Rotherham lose that match 98 out of 100 times, not that’s any consolation. Rotherham’s best midfielder touched the ball 10 times in the entire match. And so on. It was a freak. But in football it can happen and the players have all ( except Che and Stu) been shown the videos of the match to show what went wrong - as Individuals, in their “ units” and as a squad. 
The belief is that this meticulous, extensive, learn from our mistakes and work/train hard on it process - and the set piece specialist recruitment is another example- will bear fruit sooner rather than later. 
And is it Jam tomorrow? Yeah course it is. Anyone offering you instant results is a conman. Or a politician. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I think by time they mean not 11 games. They’ve all stated they want promotion as quickly as possible. Not sure anyone doubts that not being promoted would be disappointing but the season is long.

Which then begs the queston ... how many games do they mean? Of the 12 games we have endured so far we have been dumped out of the league cup by a team from league two, comprehensively thrashed in 2 league games and in only 1 match have we had a comfortable lead. Given that RM asks for more time it sounds like we have more disappointments to be inflicted upon us before we can look forward to the promised sunlit uplands. 

It has been noted that Burnley had a similarly disappointing start last season but I see that from 22 October they played 31 league games, lost 2 of them, drew 6 and won 23. They were promoted with 7 games to spare. This is the sort of form now required for us to emulate them - yet it seems 'more time' is asked for. How much time? How many games? Swansea's had to wait until mid-March for their change of form!!

I wish RM all the best and I shall be at St Mary's to cheer them all on but unless RM delivers and delivers quickly I can't see us being promoted this season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

I wish RM all the best and I shall be at St Mary's to cheer them all on but unless RM delivers and delivers quickly I can't see us being promoted this season.

Does it matter 

I would like to be promoted with a squad who are likely to perform well in the PL not sure the current one has sufficient numbers to succeed there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Which then begs the queston ... how many games do they mean? Of the 12 games we have endured so far we have been dumped out of the league cup by a team from league two, comprehensively thrashed in 2 league games and in only 1 match have we had a comfortable lead. Given that RM asks for more time it sounds like we have more disappointments to be inflicted upon us before we can look forward to the promised sunlit uplands. 

It has been noted that Burnley had a similarly disappointing start last season but I see that from 22 October they played 31 league games, lost 2 of them, drew 6 and won 23. They were promoted with 7 games to spare. This is the sort of form now required for us to emulate them - yet it seems 'more time' is asked for. How much time? How many games? Swansea's had to wait until mid-March for their change of form!!

Are we really only praising comfortable wins now then? 😂 Wins wiped from history now.

Also, Sheffield United also went up in this league last year. They lost 11. It’s funny that Burnley are held up as the barometer for success in this league when they had an exceptional season that even they probably couldn’t reach again.  It’s a long season, a tight one, the teams the finish well are the teams that get success in this league. Let it play out a bit. I’ve no idea what the magic number we can make conclusions is, but it’s not 11.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Long Shot said:

I smell horseshit. 
if it’s necessary to have a sweet talking session at the stadium with gullible fans that’s a sure sign they are getting desperate. I prefer to judge what I see on the pitch and up to now I am underwhelmed. 

Plus 1. Not buying it one tiny little bit. 

1 hour ago, John B said:

Does it matter 

I would like to be promoted with a squad who are likely to perform well in the PL not sure the current one has sufficient numbers to succeed there

No it definitely doesn’t, we went down as a poor team, sold the best players from that poor team, bought in a few who should be capable of getting us promoted. We’d be the whipping boys, we’d need a playing turnover similar to Forrest’s last season to have a chance, and even then they flirted with relegation.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Are we really only praising comfortable wins now then? 😂 Wins wiped from history now.

Also, Sheffield United also went up in this league last year. They lost 11. It’s funny that Burnley are held up as the barometer for success in this league when they had an exceptional season that even they probably couldn’t reach again.  It’s a long season, a tight one, the teams the finish well are the teams that get success in this league. Let it play out a bit. I’ve no idea what the magic number we can make conclusions is, but it’s not 11.

If it's definitely not 11, all you have to do to get close(r) to the "magic number" is add 1 to 11 several times until you feel you can't say "it's not x" any longer...

For example, would you say "it's not 12" as categorically as you say "it's not 11"...? 

#logic

:)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

No it definitely doesn’t, we went down as a poor team, sold the best players from that poor team, bought in a few who should be capable of getting us promoted. We’d be the whipping boys, we’d need a playing turnover similar to Forrest’s last season to have a chance, and even then they flirted with relegation.

Anyone on here fancy buying my second hand Allegro? My chances must be good.